Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thetechnoloser posted:

Nope, the V-280 is just as ugly as you all think it is, official render or not.

This looks far better than the renders. Yes its a blackhawk with tilt rotors, but thats literally a wonderful idea for a useful aircraft.

Also, I have knee defenders. They're called knees. Exit row/bulkhead for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Is that a mockup or a flying prototype?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

MRC48B posted:

Is that a mockup or a flying prototype?

Believe it's a mockup. Don't know that they've progressed that far in the program yet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

YF19pilot posted:

I may bet talking out my rear end, but doesn't the boom usually hang out far enough that if the AWACS did continue it would (narrowly) miss the tail of the KC as long as the AWACS didn't speed up/KC slow down? I mean, yeah, aerial refueling can be dangerous, but there is some risk mitigation.

The AWACS' nose sticks out like 15 feet forward of the AR port. And the boom isn't mounted at the extreme rear of the tanker either. Even if all the E-3 hits is the retracted boom that's going ruin a lot of people's day...and if that happens it's right at the flight deck so it could easily cut a lot of people's day short.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
You know what's cool? Airplanes. Big planes, little planes, old planes, new planes, sleek planes, ugly planes, shiny planes, black planes, fast planes, slow planes, planes with guns, planes with bombs, planes with cameras, planes that GO INTO SPAAAAACE.

Yeah, so the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB is awesome. It would easily cover two full days if you have the stamina; I did about 9 hours total over two days and didn't see everything. The R&D Hangar is especially cool.

First, the requests:

Spads

Crazy paint schemes:

The Valkyrie (here shown mounting a poor YF-23; it's hard to get a good distance shot in the hangar)

Other fun stuff:
AD1 Skyraider, a favorite of mine. Look at all 'dem hard points.

Bone

Mig-21 that's off in a dusty corner. That section is still a work in progress, so I'm sure it'll look awesome when it's done.

Not enough guns on this one.

OV-10, another favorite. It just has so much character.

SR-71 and its little brother the YF-12

Zero

Possibly the greatest "could-have-been" tragedy in aviation: a turboprop P-51 that never got the green light. God drat that would have been awesome.

The missile hall is really cool, and really scary.

And a big view of part of the cold war wing, from the top of the shuttle mockup. A-10 and Mig-29 in the middle.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Great museum and great pictures. I went a couple years ago but didn't have time to see the experimental hangar, unfortunately. Did get to sit in an F-4 cockpit, though, and that was neat. Does the Valk feel as big as it looks?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Great museum and great pictures. I went a couple years ago but didn't have time to see the experimental hangar, unfortunately. Did get to sit in an F-4 cockpit, though, and that was neat. Does the Valk feel as big as it looks?

Yes. It's absolutely gigantic. I live a couple hours from the museum so I try and go once every couple years- and it's just as fascinating every time I do it.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

This looks far better than the renders. Yes its a blackhawk with tilt rotors, but thats literally a wonderful idea for a useful aircraft.

Also, I have knee defenders. They're called knees. Exit row/bulkhead for life.

It looks more like a blackhawk whose headshot was resized without being constrained to its original proportions.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

thetechnoloser posted:

Believe it's a mockup. Don't know that they've progressed that far in the program yet.

The one in that picture is definitely a mockup.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Flagrant Abuse posted:

If anything it's bigger. Pictures really don't do it justice. The way the forward fuselage sticks so far out and so high up is insane.

I wanted to try the F-4 and F-16 cockpits, but I was really crunched for time and there was a line of goony nerd types at each one.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Possibly the greatest "could-have-been" tragedy in aviation: a turboprop P-51 that never got the green light. God drat that would have been awesome.

Here's the whole story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-48_Enforcer

Glad it never went anywhere, a Mustang burning Jet A is an abomination.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

SR-71 and its little brother the YF-12

And a bit of the littlest brother of them all, the D-21.

Thanks for the Spads, btw.

VOR LOC posted:

I don't know what's worse, the Jet A, or the fact that these weren't new airframes being built.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 27, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, for as much as it would have been a performance boost, at least half the mystique of the Mustang is due to that fantastic Merlin sound; replacing it with a turbine is somehow underwhelming.

For a similar example, compare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frGkdLVMPMM&t=78s

with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyUJIC6I7ic

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Valkyrie (here shown mounting a poor YF-23; it's hard to get a good distance shot in the hangar)
Oh man just think of the children coming out of that crazy, drunken, one-night hookup. :pwn:

There's part of me that really wishes they would have made the YF-23 a thing - such a pretty plane.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

And a big view of part of the cold war wing, from the top of the shuttle mockup. A-10 and Mig-29 in the middle.
Seriously, how big is that hanger? :stonk:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Just saw two C-17s flying really close one behind the other, maybe a quarter mile distance from each other out of McChord AFB. Any reason they would be flying that close to each other?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
For funsies / because they can? They're probably coming back from hurling a bunch of Rangers out the door. :shrug:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You ever see a dog trying to snif another dog's butt right after he took a poop?

Planes are like that too.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It's the first time I've ever seen them fly that close in my whole time living here so it just seemed weird to me :shrug:

Never saw them do that while I was in the army either.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 27, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I've heard that they're doing fuel efficiency experiments using C-17s. That might be the reason.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Duke Chin posted:

It's really freaking huge. All the planes visible there are in about one half of one of the hangars. There are two others of the same size next to it, with R&D and the presidential fleet currently in an on-base hangar that will fill a fourth museum hangar once it's built.

I'll post a picture of the map when I get a chance. It's got silhouettes of all the planes overlaid on the floor plan.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's really freaking huge. All the planes visible there are in about one half of one of the hangars. There are two others of the same size next to it, with R&D and the presidential fleet currently in an on-base hangar that will fill a fourth museum hangar once it's built.

I'll post a picture of the map when I get a chance. It's got silhouettes of all the planes overlaid on the floor plan.

Man, not that I have a reason to go to Ohio, but I *really* need to get to that museum. I'm still pissed at myself, years later, for not having gone to the Udvar-Hazy NASM annex last time I was in D.C.. I was even flying in/out of Dulles. That whole trip was a mess.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Davin Valkri posted:

I've heard that they're doing fuel efficiency experiments using C-17s. That might be the reason.

Heh.

Military planes fly in formation a ton. Or, well, marine corps ones do.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
WAIT, I change my answer: side curtain and passenger airbag tests

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

revmoo posted:

As airlines continue to shrink legroom to non-realistic amounts, these sorts of events are going to become more common. I expect airlines to ban these knee defenders soon, but it's not going to make the problem go away.

They should just get rid of the ability for the seat to recline at all.
(Optionally, allow it only on long-haul flights where you are expected to sleep.)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The change in the cowling for the turboprop engine totally ruins the lines and proportions of the mustang IMO

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
In the related videos section of that DC-8 vid. I wish the airliners of today spit fire!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dExlu488bM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijNtZTqB6n4

:getin:

Goddamn the Constellation is such a sexy looking plane.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Duke Chin posted:

Oh it's big. On this map there's an empty space at the top of the Cold War Gallery; that's now the shuttle mockup. From there you can just see the tail of the B-36.

(The presidential and research galleries are actually a bus ride away)
They broke ground on a new hangar this summer where they will horizontally display the Titan 4B rocket they have begun restoring.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Duke Chin posted:

Man, not that I have a reason to go to Ohio, but I *really* need to get to that museum. I'm still pissed at myself, years later, for not having gone to the Udvar-Hazy NASM annex last time I was in D.C.. I was even flying in/out of Dulles. That whole trip was a mess.

Do iiiittt, I managed to sneak an hour or so before flying out of Dulles and was worried about cutting it fine heading in. In retrospect I would gladly have missed my flight to see it. A Concorde, SR-71, the Discovery, the Enola loving Gay. Everything there is fantastic in a historical way, not just a 'huh, cool' way.

We'd done the in-town smithsonians the day before and I don't remember jack from them. Udvar-Hazy is amazing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

VOR LOC posted:

CAC Kangaroo. A sort of supercharged Mustang, in a way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC_CA-15

quote:

In fact, development of the CA-15 was slowed by a recommendation from CAC head Lawrence Wackett, that the company build Mustangs under licence, rather than bear the cost of developing a unique design. By the later stages of its development, it was believed that the CA-15 would have capabilities enabling it to replace the P-51.[3]

At first, the CAC designers planned to use the 2,300 hp (1,715 kW) radial Pratt & Whitney R-2800, with a turbocharger. However, that engine became unavailable, causing further delays in development, and it was decided to fit an in-line Rolls-Royce Griffon Mk 61 (2,035 hp/1,517 kW). Engines for a prototype were leased from Rolls-Royce.[3] It was intended that any production engines would have a three-speed supercharger.

According to aviation historian Darren Crick, it achieved a calibrated level flight speed of 448 mph (721 km/h) at 26,400 ft (8,046 m).
Archer reportedly achieved a speed of 502.2 mph (803 km/h) over Melbourne, after levelling out of a dive of 4,000 ft (1,200 m), on 25 May 1948.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
The Aussies never met a plane they couldn't make uglier, did they?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drunkill posted:

CAC Kangaroo. A sort of supercharged Mustang, in a way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC_CA-15

A Mustang with a radial would look weird as hell.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sagebrush posted:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sanguine posted:

Do iiiittt, I managed to sneak an hour or so before flying out of Dulles and was worried about cutting it fine heading in. In retrospect I would gladly have missed my flight to see it. A Concorde, SR-71, the Discovery, the Enola loving Gay. Everything there is fantastic in a historical way, not just a 'huh, cool' way.

We'd done the in-town smithsonians the day before and I don't remember jack from them. Udvar-Hazy is amazing.

Secret for locals in the DC area: if you show up something like 1-2 hours before the Udvar-Hazy center closes, they don't charge you the exorbitant parking fee. You might think "I'll take the bus," but the bus costs just as much as the parking fee. They are smarter than you.

But if money's tight and you've got the patience to scope the place out in sections, it's an option - unless you'll burn more than $12 worth of gas driving out there multiple times, which you likely would.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Meh, you could disguise it a little - like all the Fw 190s that have an inverted V12 but still look like a radial Fw 190A

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

~Coxy posted:

They should just get rid of the ability for the seat to recline at all.
(Optionally, allow it only on long-haul flights where you are expected to sleep.)

Replace all their airliners with A380 so that there's enough space for decent legroom.

Only fly on Emirates.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Never flew their A380 product but IIRC Emirates' 330s and 777s are nothing different from EU legacy carrier options, legroom-wise.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cathay Pacific used to have these seat "pods" in economy that didn't recline. They just rotated the seat around a point within the frame, with the back shell not attached and not moving.

It wasn't that comfortable. Not sure if they still have that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Replace all their airliners with A380 so that there's enough space for decent legroom.

Only fly on Emirates.

Emirates economy is the same hell, comfort wise.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

An F-15 from the Massachusetts Air National Guard has crashed in Virginia, no word on the pilot

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/27/f-15-jet-from-massachusetts-crashes-in-virginia/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Duke Chin posted:

Oh man just think of the children coming out of that crazy, drunken, one-night hookup. :pwn:

There's part of me that really wishes they would have made the YF-23 a thing - such a pretty plane.

Here's some scale: