Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Plane ID required. Some two-engine that Hideo Kojima took to E3 and back home, the chromed engine casing (?) caught my interest.

Looks like a saab 340

e: nope, not a 340, tail is wrong.... EMB120 perhaps

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

SybilVimes posted:

EMB120 perhaps

That seems to be it, thanks! On http://forums.nicoclub.com/airplane-thread-t558329.html in United livery, makes for great photos from inside over those engines

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Definitely a 120

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Booblord Zagats posted:

I know a guy who used to design intakes and flight surfaces for Grumman in the 60s-80s. He met Kelly a good many times and once told a Navy Admiral in front of Kelly "The problem is Kelly's a genius, and the Navy has no idea how to handle that. You guys only know how to deal with idiot-savants."

Said it made Kelly and his two assistants laugh so hard they choked

Would love to have been in the room for that exchange.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MrLonghair posted:

Plane ID required. Some two-engine that Hideo Kojima took to E3 and back home, the chromed engine casing (?) caught my interest.

Beech King Air

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

Beech King Air

Too many side windows and the windshield is all wrong. Didn't the Navy ever let you look at the aircraft in between your trips to Victoria? :)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

The Ferret King posted:

Too many side windows and the windshield is all wrong. Didn't the Navy ever let you look at the aircraft in between your trips to Victoria? :)

The long, droopy nose is also a "not a King Air" sign.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Beech King Air

I think you'll find it is in fact a Pontiac Fiero.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

hobbesmaster posted:

And if you put the right bodykit on it it looks like a 787

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
All planes should be a king air is what I'm saying.

Also I'm on a cellphone.

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny
I think what you have there is a Common T-tail Lockheed.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Crossposted from the F-35 thread in GBS for those of you not following that:
"[...]that fan-blade system just cracked too much, the whole circular part of that engine — through centrifugal force — stretched out and became a spear; that spear went up through the left aft fuselage of the fuel tank and it was the fuel tank that caused the fire."

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

drunkill posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flypast#Flypasts_associated_with_World_War_II
"The largest flyover in history occurred 69 years ago today. 3,000 carrier aircraft and 400 bombers flew over Tokyo Bay during the signing of the peace treaty that ended World War 2 as a show of force"

Huge formation of American planes over USS Missouri and Tokyo Bay celebrating the signing, 2 September 1945

Got to love the section right below that also:

quote:

Panic and disaster
Some Canberra residents panicked during a flypast in 2003 over Parliament House by two F-111 jets, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Australian High Court. It manifested itself as "two thunderously loud balls of flame screaming overhead at a height of about 300 metres and heading toward the city's landmarks." Press releases had been issued, but the police had not been informed.

:rock:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hobbesmaster posted:

No problem getting that bad boy airborne!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Flikken posted:

There are some truly impressive feats out there. I like the gimle glider. Captain is a recreational glider pilot so ends up slipping a 767 like a glider.

Gimli Glider.

And he slipped the 767 onto an abandoned military airfield that had been turned into a drag-strip where they were dragging cars ON THAT DAY and landed the thing with no nose-gear.

Air Transat Flight 236 is an amazing one as well. Flying from Toronto to Lisbon on an A330, main fuel line ruptures and all fuel is exhausted 65 miles from their emergency airfield in the Azores. Lands the plane, everyone gets off alive. It was the longest glide of a commercial aircraft in history.

The Pilot, Robert Piche, gets all sorts of piloting accolades...until it's found out that he used to fly weed from Jamaica to the US. Dude still flies for Transat today.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MA-Horus posted:

Gimli Glider.

And he slipped the 767 onto an abandoned military airfield that had been turned into a drag-strip where they were dragging cars ON THAT DAY and landed the thing with no nose-gear.

Air Transat Flight 236 is an amazing one as well. Flying from Toronto to Lisbon on an A330, main fuel line ruptures and all fuel is exhausted 65 miles from their emergency airfield in the Azores. Lands the plane, everyone gets off alive. It was the longest glide of a commercial aircraft in history.

The Pilot, Robert Piche, gets all sorts of piloting accolades...until it's found out that he used to fly weed from Jamaica to the US. Dude still flies for Transat today.

A true hero :911::hf::420:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Tubesock posted:

This popped up on the internet. Hashtags say it's from Singapore.

Filmed in Darwin, Australia during Pitch Black which was on last month with a bunch of airforces around the world.

Infinotize posted:

Got to love the section right below that also:

:rock:

The RAAF always did like dump and burns to show off the F111.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Spaced God posted:

It's not just a town, it's host to the largest Fly-in and airshow in the world (citation needed)

I thought the show was sponsored by the company :downs::downs: I'm goin to stop talking about it now.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Aeronautical hilarity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AubU5FeUIs

A-4 formation barrel roll where one guy is buddy tanked to the one in front

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Gorilla Salad posted:

I thought the show was sponsored by the company :downs::downs: I'm goin to stop talking about it now.

AirVenture (what people colloquially refer to as "Oshkosh" when referencing the aviation event) is sponsored by the Experimental Aircraft Association.

During the event, the tower at OSH is the busiest in the world. FAA Controllers volunteer to staff the tower, ground operations, a VFR "approach control" at the town of Fisk, and Fond Du Lac airport.

It's such an insanely unique air traffic operation. The tower at OSH instructs aircraft to land simultaneously on a given runway, by telling each one to land on a different colored dot on the surface. Departures are pushed out between arrivals by controllers on the ground with flags. The tower controllers have spotters and coordinators constantly feeding them information on what to say and who to talk to. The tower and Fisk approach controllers also rarely unkey their microphone. There is no time for pilots to read back instructions. Pilots acknowledge instructions by rocking their wings. Controllers identify pilots by type/color of aircraft instead of callsigns, since nobody calls in with their tail number.

Never been, but one of these years I'll make it out there.

Here's the 2014 Notice to Airmen covering the special procedures.

Here's some audio of the approach control at Fisk:
http://youtu.be/CyWfKmmIYAI
http://youtu.be/oweE6gZCMZA

Here's where the Fisk controllers work:

Here's some audio of the Oshkosh tower:
http://youtu.be/lrJ_Azr8o14?t=6m19s

Actually had a hard time finding good audio of the tower. But you get the idea.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

vessbot posted:

Bah, I'll be impressed when the USAF does it with a real tanker. Shouldn't be that much harder than lining up to the tanker in the first place, and we know the KC-135 can do a barrel roll...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

I think what you have there is a Common T-tail Lockheed.

Have you considered a Twin Beech?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

FAA Controllers volunteer to staff the tower, ground operations, a VFR "approach control" at the town of Fisk, and Fond Du Lac airport.

I think those people are probably nuts too. I guess it would be pretty fun to work though.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

fknlo posted:

I think those people are probably nuts too. I guess it would be pretty fun to work though.

They might volunteer so they can get into the show easier/free as well.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I knew Oshkosh made trucks, never knew it was an actual town :downs:

When I was a kid in the air cadets, the airports we visited often had Oshkosh fire trucks and they were the loving bomb. So that sent me on a GIS nostalgia trip and I found out the company makes other stuff, too.

Now I want an Oshkosh loader more than life itself.

I thought it would be awesome to take one of Oskosh's Strikers, get an empty shell make it into an awesome RV.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Didn't see this posted yet, but it looks like a Mig-21 lawn darted in Tobruk the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZgRls8UWY

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Lightbulb Out posted:

They might volunteer so they can get into the show easier/free as well.

They also get some travel pay compensation. It's a good deal if you can handle the workload.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

Didn't see this posted yet, but it looks like a Mig-21 lawn darted in Tobruk the other day

The ironic thing about about this is the pilot was performing a memorial flypast for another pilot who died in an accident last month.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MrChips posted:

The ironic thing about about this is the pilot was performing a memorial flypast for another pilot who died in an accident last month.

:byobear:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Ferret King posted:

They also get some travel pay compensation. It's a good deal if you can handle the workload.

Courtesy of my EAA dues (rather than my paying avgas excise taxes); the FAA suddenly decided to start charging EAA last year for ATC services (around $450,000) with 2 months notice before the airshow. http://generalaviationnews.com/2013/06/16/eaa-signs-deal-with-faa-to-cover-controller-expenses-at-oshkosh/

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think the FAA Administrator abstained from attending that year, as well. For good reason.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

What the heck happened? It the first video it looks like it just fell out of the sky.

e:

Tindjin posted:

I thought it would be awesome to take one of Oskosh's Strikers, get an empty shell make it into an awesome RV.

I've wanted to do this, too! Thanks mainly to this Car and Driver article from a decade ago.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 4, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In the other angles it looks like it just pitches down and arcs into the ground. :stare:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
To me it looks like he was in the inverted part of a roll when it hit.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

slidebite posted:

From the related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvAJTBII28

:catstare: :psyduck: :staredog:

Read the comments if you dare.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

dubzee posted:

From the related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvAJTBII28

:catstare: :psyduck: :staredog:

Read the comments if you dare.

I like how he goes on to conspiracy theories. It's a mig 21, that's all he needed to say.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh god everything he says is just loving stupid. YES, you dumb gently caress, you can easily tell that it wasn't shot down because it wasn't on fire, smoking, and there wasn't a goddamn missile which you would easily be able to see.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

vessbot posted:

Alternatively, the USMC's newest scheme for extending the range of the -B.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Looking at those MiGs in the museums, I started wondering about western aircraft in eastern-bloc displays. I can think of a few, but I can't imagine they're quite as common, or in nearly as good shape as the ones that came west with defectors - the ones that went east would be more likely to have been shot down. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the four B-29s that ended up in Russia and were dismantled for reverse-engineering, the Francis Gary Powers U-2, the Balkan war F-117, and I think I recall a B-52 on display in Vietnam. Are there any that I'm missing? Any that aren't in a pretty wrecked state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hogmartin posted:

Looking at those MiGs in the museums, I started wondering about western aircraft in eastern-bloc displays. I can think of a few, but I can't imagine they're quite as common, or in nearly as good shape as the ones that came west with defectors - the ones that went east would be more likely to have been shot down. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the four B-29s that ended up in Russia and were dismantled for reverse-engineering, the Francis Gary Powers U-2, the Balkan war F-117, and I think I recall a B-52 on display in Vietnam. Are there any that I'm missing? Any that aren't in a pretty wrecked state?

I think there's a Vertol helicopter in the Russian aviation museum at Monino that was a gift from President Eisenhower. Plus a B-25 from the Lend-Lease days.