Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Terrible Robot posted:

Nah, you gotta give something to the economy class passengers, otherwise they'll attack the coach and business classes for their drugs. Since giving out even more drugs (and having to bump up the quality of all the upper classes to make up for it) would cost the airline too much money, I propose we just rename economy to what it really is, Steerage, and throw errybody in the hold. More room for the drugged up folks to bounce around or whatever as well!

Give them bolts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

McDeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHq56fVJak4

My freedom boner is massive because of all the 80's coke that the music implies. Some of the shots that they get are some drat awesome that it really makes me think that some of this is CGI...

God dammit why are airplanes so cool.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MrYenko posted:

That's only a mild redesign away from being a godamned best seller on Adam and Eve.

- George Clooney, Burn After Reading

hobbesmaster posted:

Riding a BUFF at an air show seems like it'd be tempting fate too much.

Sometimes you come to the airshow to see the BUFF, sometimes the BUFF comes to you at the airshow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

I wish they'd shown the 30 minutes boot up time of the JSTARS and AWACS systems :allears:

Also restarts and power spikes.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Any real military aircraft video would detail the long process of spinning up 2 back up aircraft and jimmying with circuit breakers until you get it juuuuust right.

Then canceling for weather.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Bob A Feet posted:

Any real military aircraft video would detail the long process of spinning up 2 back up aircraft and jimmying with circuit breakers until you get it juuuuust right.

Then canceling for weather.

Just off-camera, a red-faced crew chief seethes at the rear end in a top hat pilots who keep bringing back his jet Code 3.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bacarruda posted:

Just off-camera, a red-faced crew chief seethes at the rear end in a top hat pilots who keep bringing back his jet Code 3.

Say that leak is "within limits" one more time. I dare you. I double dare you. *shuts down engine in flight for the fourth time*

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For trans-Pacific flights, the entire plane should be full of cheap-rear end Coach-class seats, the only difference being the kinds of drugs they give you. Economy Coach gets gently caress all, 'Coach Plus' gets Benadryl, Business-class gets Ambien, and First Class gets complimentary nitrous in the drop down masks and flight attendants dressed in "Naughty Nurse" outfits doling out all-you-can-tolerate fentanyl lollipops.

I would totally fly this airline. Although, anecdote incoming: last time we flew back from Europe we went BA First (had a redemption voucher and couldn't get CW). A clonazepam and a few glasses of wine meant I was fast asleep an hour after taking off. Cut to the middle of the atlantic and a horrible nightmare of the plane going into a flat spin and breaking up around me. Took me about 20 minutes to calm back down after waking up in sheer terror, freaking the gently caress out. -1 would not recommend ever.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

simplefish posted:

Give them bolts

This post didn't really register at all the first time I looked at it, I just thought it was some reference I wasn't getting and a thread-related pic.

but, uh...:stare: Jesus christ.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Remind me: what's the row number on the prop-line of Dash 8's? Never again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A video of an AWACS start up would be 3/4 engines cranking normally and one just being odd. The crew would say, "Huh. Let's see if it compressor stalls on takeoff roll."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

A video of an AWACS start up would be 3/4 engines cranking normally and one just being odd. The crew would say, "Huh. Let's see if it compressor stalls on takeoff roll."

And in the back, BANG BANG BANG

:stare: :stare: :stare:

:stare:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 26, 2014

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

buttcrackmenace posted:

I wonder if videos of this type featuring F-35s will ever exist.

Not in flight, and I have to assume that the F-35's radar system is capable of more than just this since this was released publicly, but enjoy this walk-through of an F-35 Cockpit and Radar Targeting System (This is the first that I've ever seen...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oyCzT6sB_4

:aaaaa:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

McDeth posted:

Not in flight, and I have to assume that the F-35's radar system is capable of more than just this since this was released publicly, but enjoy this walk-through of an F-35 Cockpit and Radar Targeting System (This is the first that I've ever seen...)

I hope the AF/Navy/USMC/RAF/whoever's buying them remember to sew in a little of that conductive thread into their nomex gloves. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Does the F-35 have a backup HUD in case the fancy-pants helmet fails? Or would you just go straight to dial gauges in that case (if it even has those)?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mike-o posted:

It's all footage from that IMAX Red Flag movie, a lot of it is CGI.

Just grabbed this, and outside of the shameless Boeing promo stuff, there's a shitload of awesome footage. ~40 minutes of pretty planes :flashfap:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is the answer always yes?

(I still hear JT8D compressor stalls in my sleep.)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

McDeth posted:

I flew this sim a few years ago. I love the mini page and subpage setup on the touchscreen in this cockpit. Rapidly switching pages as fast as I can because of competing demands and only two screens consumes a lot of attention, even with the video I need to see underlayed below the data I want to see at the time it still gets cluttered. If I could monitor the triple tach at a glance AND the TSD AND the FLIR all on one half, leaving the other open for commo, data management, etc. it would be way more convenient than cycling through pages.

Duke Chin posted:

I hope the AF/Navy/USMC/RAF/whoever's buying them remember to sew in a little of that conductive thread into their nomex gloves. :v:

Existing flight gloves will operate an iphone just fine. :coal:

Fucknag posted:

Does the F-35 have a backup HUD in case the fancy-pants helmet fails? Or would you just go straight to dial gauges in that case (if it even has those)?

I have no idea but I assume it's like all the other aircraft with HMDs, you transition to the glass cockpit and take it to the house when able.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Existing flight gloves will operate an iphone just fine. :coal:
Kinda had a feeling they might but hey you learn something new every day.

In other news: I bet the regional airlines around the states are starting to get ideas... Clearly this is the next logical step after increased bag fees and shrinkage of seats - Pushback your own ride!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

McDeth posted:

"There are pages of symbols the pilots have to memorize."

That's pretty much where he lost me. Too much to sort out all at once.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrYenko posted:

Is the answer always yes?

(I still hear JT8D compressor stalls in my sleep.)

Usually. We had one engine that stalled so often that when it didn't we were concerned.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

"There are pages of symbols the pilots have to memorize."

That's pretty much where he lost me. Too much to sort out all at once.

Symbology in a glass cockpit attack platform could fill a phone book. Then once you memorize all the ones that are organic to the plane, you have to memorize the ones from all the systems that get stapled on to the plane (like ASE.) Then the software changes every couple years and now a zigzag over a dashed line with a 6 next to it means something different. God help you if you're at a unit with two different blocks and you're qualified on both.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah that's nothing new. Military flying has a lot of that kind of memorization. The standard US/NATO brevity code words are literally a small book. AWACS' symbology takes up several pages in the aircrew aid/checklist book. Friendly/neutral/adversary, onboard-generated/datalink fed, IFF identification, air/surface/land, mission type, and probably half a dozen more variables all determine what symbol, color, etc is attached to something.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Wonder when we'll have the first autocorrect-induced friendly fire incident.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ehnus posted:

Drone operator: Okay Doddie, fly over to that wedding and...
*Star Trek TNG playing in background* Picard: Engage!
Doddie: *ding dong* Engaging wedding

E: Also if DoD ever does release a Siri clone, I hope they name it Doddie.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ehnus posted:

I've seen a situation where human error assigning symbology has led to a fighter being tasked to visually ID something that was actually a known friendly operating near less-friendly territory. More of a typo than autocorrect, I guess.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

I love how it makes a friendly doorbell chime to indicate its kill circuits have gone live.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

I hope they have the foresight to ban having Cleveland Browns games on in the background. If they're losing bad, the colour commentary could cause some unfortunate incidents...

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Robot posted:

Nah, you gotta give something to the economy class passengers, otherwise they'll attack the coach and business classes for their drugs. Since giving out even more drugs (and having to bump up the quality of all the upper classes to make up for it) would cost the airline too much money, I propose we just rename economy to what it really is, Steerage, and throw errybody in the hold. More room for the drugged up folks to bounce around or whatever as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KioFuZl-ghg

seems like a good reason to post scenes from Putney Swope

Linedance posted:

I hope they have the foresight to ban having Cleveland Browns games on in the background. If they're losing bad, the colour commentary could cause some unfortunate incidents...

:golfclap:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ola posted:

I love how it makes a friendly doorbell chime to indicate its kill circuits have gone live.

Maybe a couple bars of Ride of the Valkyries for KILLBOTMODE=TRUE.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Linedance posted:

Like Cleveland will get more than one National game a year.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Flikken posted:

Like Cleveland will get more than one National game a year.

I thought they played two games against the Steelers in a regular season :v:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

YF19pilot posted:

I thought they played two games against the Steelers in a regular season :v:

Might have a third this year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

And in the back, BANG BANG BANG

Forgot the flight crew

:smuggo: :smuggo:

:catstare:

:smuggo:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The E-3 has a 4 man flight crew?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

The E-3 has a 4 man flight crew?

Pilot, Co-Pilot, Navigator, and Flight Engineer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Navigator was what I was missing. Apparently it's going away?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Navigator was what I was missing. Apparently it's going away?

AWACS Navigator WILL be going away next year or so they say.

However, JSTARS will be keeping their Navigator as they use them during target acquisition and orbit planning.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So the navigator is kind of a liaison between the mission crew and the flight crew? Seems like an odd position on a modern plane, E-3/JSTARS must be the last planes with a dedicated navigator. (Not navigator/bombardier or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

So the navigator is kind of a liaison between the mission crew and the flight crew? Seems like an odd position on a modern plane, E-3/JSTARS must be the last planes with a dedicated navigator. (Not navigator/bombardier or whatever)

C-130H2 and C-130H3 still use them, as well as the EC-130s, HC-130s, KC-130s, etc.
I don't know, but I think the KC-135 still have a nav.

On most planes with a full digital flight system, they are largely obsolete, as mission planning is done ahead of time and all waypoints and nav information is stored.

But on JSTARS, the mission can change mid flight and nav solutions have to be re-plotted as they go. Also, when a call comes up for a scan, the nav will plan the orbits and proper spacing to get the best resolution.
So, yeah, just a liaison really.