Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

You write some of the no-poo poo most interesting posts I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nebakenezzer posted:

:words: about air-boats.

Your posts are the best loving posts.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

so loving future posted:

Shut your whore mouth.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
The only thing better than flying boats is rigid airships, that is an undeniable facts.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
The new breed of aerial firefighting tankers!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Goddamn, that's one ugly duckling.

Oh, apropos of nothing, Slo-Tek. You gonna be at Thunder Over Michigan this year?

It looks so happy from the front.

Honestly I think they aren't that bad looking.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

British aircraft are either gorgeous or ugly as sin. No in-between.

For every Hawker Hunter or Avro Vulcan you have a Fairey Gannet or Victor.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

freelop posted:

It looks so happy from the front.

Honestly I think they aren't that bad looking.

More like manic, as it strafes the world with its eyeballs

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed the airship post, thank you.

You can have a good look at a Shack at Newark Air Museum. They even let you get inside. It's like some steampunk version of an E3 inside, all valves and Bakelite.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

I have to concur with my fellow goons, these posts are amazing.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

British aircraft are either gorgeous or ugly as sin. No in-between.

For every Hawker Hunter or Avro Vulcan you have a Fairey Gannet or Victor.

But the victor is cool in a retro flash gordon kind of way.

I think you meant Sperrin, although the Valiant was kind of ugly when painted (gorgeous in bare metal as it was first shown at Farnborough in '53(?) though)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Came here to post important questions, got distracted by amazing posts. Thanks heaps airship goon. (Phone posting, can't spellcheck Nebuchadnezzar's name) I figure this is the appropriate thread, it's certainly the one I lurk in most.

I'm flying into JFK tomorrow (Tuesday) night (from SYD, via LAX). I'm staying with in Brooklyn (which I have been told is larger than Sydney. I am so boned) on Meserole.

What's my best plan for getting from the airport to where I'm staying? I will have been awake for roughly infinity hours at this point cause #nosleeptillbrooklyn

Also, later in the trip I have a flight from Nashville to Minneapolis which goes via Dallas Forth Worth.. When I originally booked this I had 2+ hours to change flights but AA has since changed the flight times and I'm down to an hour. Is this enough time to change flights at that airport or shall I look at changing my plans?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

slothrop posted:

Came here to post important questions, got distracted by amazing posts. Thanks heaps airship goon. (Phone posting, can't spellcheck Nebuchadnezzar's name) I figure this is the appropriate thread, it's certainly the one I lurk in most.

I'm flying into JFK tomorrow (Tuesday) night (from SYD, via LAX). I'm staying with in Brooklyn (which I have been told is larger than Sydney. I am so boned) on Meserole.

What's my best plan for getting from the airport to where I'm staying? I will have been awake for roughly infinity hours at this point cause #nosleeptillbrooklyn

Depends on where in Brooklyn.

If you're going to take a taxi go outside the terminal to the yellow taxi stand, don't get duped by the guys in the terminals that drive private taxis, they're looking to rip off people thay don't know better.

If you're taking the subway just go to mta.info and use their trip planner. Or google maps, it gives subway directions too.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

SybilVimes posted:

But the victor is cool in a retro flash gordon kind of way.

I think you meant Sperrin,

My first thoughts were that someone had stuck the dubstep guns from Saint's Row onto a plane

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

freelop posted:

My first thoughts were that someone had stuck the dubstep guns from Saint's Row onto a plane

It seems madness that the original design had four engines rated at 27 kN thrust and they were gradually supplanted with 29kN (seems reasonable) and then replaced one at 67kN (seems like serious asymmetry) then two at 89kN. Thats a LOT more thrust than the airframe was originally designed around. Now I know nothing about aircraft design outside of KSP but that seems like a huge amount of extra force. I guess it also shows how much engine design came along during that period

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Romes128 posted:

Depends on where in Brooklyn.

If you're going to take a taxi go outside the terminal to the yellow taxi stand, don't get duped by the guys in the terminals that drive private taxis, they're looking to rip off people thay don't know better.

If you're taking the subway just go to mta.info and use their trip planner. Or google maps, it gives subway directions too.

Thanks, my flight doesn't get in until 10:15pm and I think I'll probably be fairly tired at that point so a cab is looking like the best option. Even if it costs me a shitload more than public transport it's probably worth it just to get to where I am staying and crash out

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Crosspost from the Alberta thread
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary-police-looking-into-balloon-stunt-over-stampede-grounds-1.2455502

quote:

Calgary residents were stunned when a person appearing to be seated in a lawn chair suspended by dozens of balloons floated up and over the Stampede grounds.

Twitter users captured the strange sight, posting images of it on social media.

Calgary police said they're still looking into the incident, but said the person landed safely near the Ramsay neighbourhood.

Police are calling the incident a stunt, and hope to talk to the person involved.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He didn't shut down a major airport. 2/10

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Also, later in the trip I have a flight from Nashville to Minneapolis which goes via Dallas Forth Worth.. When I originally booked this I had 2+ hours to change flights but AA has since changed the flight times and I'm down to an hour. Is this enough time to change flights at that airport or shall I look at changing my plans?

DFW is pretty notorious for gate issues (lots of changes or having to sit around on the ramp until your gate opens up) and it will depend on if you have to change terminals. The sky train between terminals is easy and quick though so an hour should be enough time. I've had 45 minute connections where I had to go from A to B and I made it just fine, but that was with no delays.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Larry Lives!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Yeah, that's a fantastic idea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7360416.stm

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zochness posted:

DFW is pretty notorious for gate issues (lots of changes or having to sit around on the ramp until your gate opens up) and it will depend on if you have to change terminals. The sky train between terminals is easy and quick though so an hour should be enough time. I've had 45 minute connections where I had to go from A to B and I made it just fine, but that was with no delays.

Thanks, I may look at how possible it is to change my flight. I'm sure they will make it hard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slothrop posted:

Thanks, I may look at how possible it is to change my flight. I'm sure they will make it hard

If theres a later flight don't worry about it, if you make the connection you make the connection. If the plane is a minute late you'll get put on the next flight. If its not late it'll probably be somewhere between 5-15minutes early which means you'll get to your next flight with time to spare. The airline knows your connection time and its a legacy career not a ryanair wannabe so they will take care of it.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

monkeytennis posted:

You can have a good look at a Shack at Newark Air Museum. They even let you get inside. It's like some steampunk version of an E3 inside, all valves and Bakelite.

Thanks to the Nimrod AEW debacle the Shackleton AEW was still flying in '91, imagine having to go to war in one of those against Flankers & Foxhounds. The high-tone deafness crews ended up with due to lack of soundproofing was an added bonus.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

inkjet_lakes posted:

Thanks to the Nimrod AEW debacle the Shackleton AEW was still flying in '91, imagine having to go to war in one of those against Flankers & Foxhounds. The high-tone deafness crews ended up with due to lack of soundproofing was an added bonus.

P-3's were still flying in... today. :colbert:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

slothrop posted:

I had a plane wait on me at DFW. It was 10 pm local on Christmas Eve and I was the last one coming. I got there 10 minutes late (still sprinted) but the gate was open and the agent closed the door behind me. Im guessing they were probably waiting on clearance or their push back time but still, pretty cool

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

I had a plane wait on me at DFW. It was 10 pm local on Christmas Eve and I was the last one coming. I got there 10 minutes late (still sprinted) but the gate was open and the agent closed the door behind me. Im guessing they were probably waiting on clearance or their push back time but still, pretty cool

When I worked at the ramp tower in MSP it was usually my call to hold a flight for people running late. I always held flights on holidays and for reasonable sized groups. It helped that I knew I was going to be laid off when the lovely company declared bankruptcy!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SybilVimes posted:

P-3's were still flying in... today. :colbert:

The Shackleton is a lot more akin to the USN flying turboprop re-engined B-17s in 1991. The Shackleton is derived from the Lincoln, which was derived from the Lancaster.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

the USN flying turboprop re-engined B-17s in 1991
You got me all excited before I parsed the sentence correctly. Also I was going to ask if B-24s wouldn't have been the correct choice, but apparently the Navy did use B-17s as well according to a quick search. Yay learning

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

The Shackleton is a lot more akin to the USN flying turboprop re-engined B-17s in 1991. The Shackleton is derived from the Lincoln, which was derived from the Lancaster.

Or maybe a re-engined B-50.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

joat mon posted:

Or maybe a re-engined B-50.

This actually works too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

A turboprop engined B-17:

Later restored, and flown as Liberty Belle until 2011.

To one-up the Lancaster, B-29 derivatives are still flying, turboprops and all.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

slothrop posted:

I think you'll be fine. Generally airlines won't rebook you into a connection that they don't think you can make. An hour to get to the next gate should be ok.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/03/22/what-is-minimum-connection-time/ is a decent article on the subject, BUT it doesn't give you a non-paid way of looking up what American calls the official minimum connection time.

Side note: start reading travel blogs such as the one above if you are planing on any amount of air travel. They are a great way to keep your ear to the ground when it comes to getting free things or finding cool promotional offers...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nebakenezzer, your posts make my day.

Nebakenezzer posted:

3. -you will also need to construct a hydrogen plant. This is another area the British would have been better off simply consulting with the Germans - for the Germans had an advanced chemical industry, and that know-how was useful when dealing with Zeppelins. Their hydrogen plants were very simple - they took water and ran it over a 700 degree (I'm not sure if that is in C or F) hot iron, which I'm guessing separated the H20 into its constituent elements. The British hydrogen method was much more labor-intensive and I imagine expensive - train cars of (something) were hauled to the hydrogen plant, where the something was processed into hydrogen and toxic sludge, when then had to be hauled away. (I'm sorry, my chemistry knowledge is especially bad.)
Actually, the British method (Silicol Method) was much less reliant on a large or complex industrial plant. Smaller gas generators would fit on a truck which could be driven where needed. Very little external power was needed. The ingredients were stable by themselves.

An already commercially available ferrosilicon (a silicon/iron alloy) called Silicol, containing 90% silicon with some iron, aluminum and 1% other.
was mixed with
sodium hydroxide (lye)
and
water
in a reaction chamber.
The resulting hydrogen was 99% pure.
The leftovers were sodium silicate (StopLeak) and some iron, aluminum, etc. compounds.
(Si + 2NaOH + H2O = Na2SiO3 (sodium silicate) + 2H2)

The truck sized generator could create 2000-2500 cubic feet of hydrogen an hour.
Filling R100 took 432 tons of reactants and produced 929 tons of sludge.
Another downside was that generation had to be done in batches, as the reaction vessel had to be cleaned before the leftovers solidified.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Had some visitors at YVR this weekend.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

joat mon posted:

Nebakenezzer, your posts make my day.

Actually, the British method (Silicol Method) was much less reliant on a large or complex industrial plant. Smaller gas generators would fit on a truck which could be driven where needed. Very little external power was needed. The ingredients were stable by themselves.

An already commercially available ferrosilicon (a silicon/iron alloy) called Silicol, containing 90% silicon with some iron, aluminum and 1% other.
was mixed with
sodium hydroxide (lye)
and
water
in a reaction chamber.
The resulting hydrogen was 99% pure.
The leftovers were sodium silicate (StopLeak) and some iron, aluminum, etc. compounds.
(Si + 2NaOH + H2O = Na2SiO3 (sodium silicate) + 2H2)

The truck sized generator could create 2000-2500 cubic feet of hydrogen an hour.
Filling R100 took 432 tons of reactants and produced 929 tons of sludge.
Another downside was that generation had to be done in batches, as the reaction vessel had to be cleaned before the leftovers solidified.

Cool! Thanks! The description of this process came to me from a book old enough to have a 45 rpm record in the back, and it was a long time ago. Were the results toxic? Also, do you know how the heck the Germans were processing hydrogen? The only account I've heard of it was lacking in detail. (Once again, my numbness to chemistry might be an issue here.)

e: wow, that's a lot of sludge.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also, via the BBC, from the Libyan AF's facebook page, a low pass in a MiG-23.

http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/must_see/33416471

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

D C posted:

Had some visitors at YVR this weekend.

I'm the only person here that hates C-17's, because they took my glorious C-5's away

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Aren't C-5s unreliable screaming shitboxes driven by the grads who couldn't land a proper post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Aren't C-5s unreliable screaming shitboxes driven by the grads who couldn't land a proper post?

From what I've heard, unreliability has a high correlation with the quality of weather / locale the jet happens to be in.