Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

might as well go all the way, this is so much better.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

grover posted:

Last time I saw a plane with duct tape on the wings, I was in Africa, and they were proud to have been crash-free for 6 months...

I'm never flying Kenyan Airways again.

Sure it wasn't just speed tape? At least that stuff's meant to be on airplanes

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

So whats the damage costs on those two planes going to be like? Also how the hell did the Air France guys not see the parked/stationary puddle jumper? Are normal taxing events that close in proximity to other aircraft?

You gotta understand just how huge the A380 is. Doing some very rough math, and seeing that it looks like it was the very tip of the wing that hit that jet, the pilots were around 300 feet away from the point of impact. That's loving crazy.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

MrChips posted:

To save weight (the A380 never did meet its empty weight guarantee, IIRC), and because the outboard engines actually hang beyond the width of many runways (creating a massive FOD hazard).

I'm assuming FOD stands for Field Of Destruction? if not it should

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Revolvyerom posted:

It's not apparent at first read that by "moose" he means "great hulking thing", specifically the mountain. I thought the CMP was leading on the LMP as a gag, with the CDR in on it.

That made it even more amazing.

gotta conserve syllables in space!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

know what's also a good word? Monocoque :c00lbert:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

So basically the Queen Elizabeth 2 is like taking a Lamborghini across the pacific. Hmm. What about, say A380s or 747s?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

drat. After a labor of love like that, I don't know if I could bear to fly it. I was also totally hoping for an in-cockpit camera with head tracking and video goggles.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Seeing this makes me want to watch The Aviator again.

What do you guys think of the movie?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Holy gently caress.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

If you guys want to watch the takeoff live, it's happening here: http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/boeing-dreamlifter-lands-at-jabara/-/21054266/23081256/-/oma90hz/-/index.html.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

rscott posted:

Advocate against the minimum wage

No fuckin way.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Best registration:

That's glorious. Also this

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

HMS Deez Nuts

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Eej posted:

I know I said this the last time a stretched 757 was posted here but aaaa it keeps looking like it's bent to me.

Looks kinda bent to me too

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Tin Tin owns, you should read it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

:laugh:

edit: yeah, was definitely about to post the Prometheus ship

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Godholio posted:

So this is the guy that ran away with all the MtGox money or what?

Isn't that guy in Japan crying on national television?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Crybaby forum post:
VR has the ability to totally change flying and racing simulators, but this video looks like poo poo. The amount of integration is perhaps the most poo poo. I get it, beta product, alpha/beta software so maybe I am expecting too much but things like the lack of a person in the seats in any form and the detached hands that dont seem to represent real space in any way, even when they are turning the gaming wheel so you know where the hand model should be, makes this a novelty. The only thing they seemed to get right was the core technology part of "now I can look around"

I'll agree it looks a little poo poo, but you're wrong about the hands part.
The guy has a leap motion attached to his rift so it's getting his actual hands in 3d space. Then i guess trying to motion track then animate a nicer looking 3d model that can interact with the world. ish.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Linedance posted:

yeah the US economy is chugging along really well, problem is nobody believes it.

Also wages are low and stagnant

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I feel like that's gotta be the most efficient way to make you sick immediately. I mean you bank a little in either direction and you've moved 30 feet vertically

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Inacio posted:

:stwoon:

RCs are really cool. I want to build one but I have literally no clue about how to start.

These guys on Youtube make planes out of foamcore and I just got into the hobby thanks to them. It's really, really easy.

http://bit.ly/1se0gMl

Sorry for the bitly link but it was the only way I could link a youtube without SA trying to turn it into a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0S4epTCmss&hd=1

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

ApathyGifted posted:

The AW609 might have it beat, but only because it's basically the same aircraft with a small bizjet fuselage.

There's a civilian version of the Osprey? Is that safe?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Well the SR-71 leaked because the panels weren't built to fit until mach 2 or some poo poo

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lemme fix that for you

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

This is the poo poo I come to SA for

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

That's such a beautiful airplane, what is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

some kind of enormous propeller-driven elephant dong

:laugh:

Check out this guy I was behind, using his Audi to its fullest potential