Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

SybilVimes posted:

No spitfires, at all, just hot air and mud...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21074699

I was just about to post that. Such a let down :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

block51 posted:

You sir, have clearly never experienced a hovering AV-8B. That being said a B-1 is fuckoff loud, especially with the afterburners going. It's fun to watch such a large plane handle so amazingly.

Are they louder than Avro Vulcans? I used to love going to airshows as a child, and the Vulcan was the only plane that made me feel like my teeth were vibrating out, which was absolutely wonderful!

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

benito posted:

Sky Whale!

Reminds me of something from Star Trek: TNG.

Here are some of his other ideas.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

buttcrackmenace posted:

Nice to see that someone at Boeing has a sense of humor.

has Airbus ever done anything similar?

They do have their own football club.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Blimp's day will come!

On Mars...

Or Titan, or Venus.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
The Vietnam Navy have confirmed it crashed into the sea.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
For those asking about how black boxes are found in the sea, Mike from mikeselectricstuff did a teardown of an older (read: tape) flight data recorder with the sonar locator a while back. Given the circumstances, the intro is a bit insensitive, but it's interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQehX0rVYuY

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Eej posted:

I just came across some pictures of the An-74 and the Boeing YC-17 and now I'm wondering, how come the idea of putting the engines on top of the wings never caught on? Is there some kind of major drawback like maintenance or poor flight characteristics that offsets the STOL ability?

Honda seem to like the idea (although the engines are mounted on the wings, they're not too far away from where they'd be on a normal bizjet, but it's supposed to be quieter in the cabin this way).

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
Well, that's unfortunate. I wonder if they'll charge the passengers for the repairs?

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Duke Chin posted:

I hate that the Top Gear UK dissertation on Jaguars popped into my head as soon as I read this. hah

Well, Jeremy Clarkson did have one in his front garden for a bit.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
For those that are interested, the webcam for the last day of the Bournemouth Air Festival is here: http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Microsites/Waterfront/Waterfront-Live.aspx?form=CookieConfirm

It should be starting around lunchtime GMT.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Ardeem posted:

"Cools air at about a rate of 400MW" That is a hell of a lot of energy going... somewhere? That said, I suppose if you managed to break entropy you could build a hell of a rocket out of the end approaching infinite heat.

It's going into spinning the rocket engine's turbopumps.

One Eye Open fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 18, 2014

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

mlmp08 posted:

I knew I'd seen this somewhere before.

That brought back bad memories of Slipstream of which the Optica was the best bit.

E: quoted the wrong post, I meant to quote the original Optica post :/

One Eye Open fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 25, 2015

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Linedance posted:

Something tells me they're sandbagging that max speed by a fair amount.

Given escape velocity (from Earth) is 40,320 km/h, that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I too expect scientific accuracy in a joke passage/Easter Egg in an in flight magazine :jerkbag:

You did get that it was a Star Wars joke?

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

No, but I do have a massive migraine that may be affecting my parsing skills. I'll shut up now.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
British Airways are not having a good week - another one of their 777s made an emergency landing at Heathrow yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Red six does not seem to be having a good time off it.