Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CornHolio posted:

I like pretty planes :3

Then why don't you post one? :v:

No seriously, what the gently caress is that thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am cool with B1/B2 flyovers those are rad.

My dad and I saw a B2 flyover at an airshow when I was in high school. It was all foggy, of course. The announcer guy on the loudspeaker was saying stuff like "I promise it's out there, folks," but we could hear nothing and see nothing. With absolutely no warning it just kind of appeared. To start with it was only a horizontal line, but then it banked and showed us its soft underbelly. Only then did I hear anything.

Cool loving plane.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Just got back from a funeral. Took this picture next to the place where we had the service:

I would have walked around to get a shot from a better angle but it was noon thirty in Ala-loving-bama, and I was wearing a dark suit.

I have no earthly idea why it was there, but I'm glad it was.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Butt Reactor posted:

That is probably the most :black101: tombstone, if that's what is. How close were you to Fort Rucker maybe?

Huh, hadn't thought of that. This was in Dothan, a spot that google tells me is 25 miles away from Rucker.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 27, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

DAV Chapter 87/Sunset Memorial Park in Dothan, AL:

http://aerialvisuals.ca/LocationDossier.php?Serial=1532

Well there we go. That is indeed the place. :haw:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 27, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That article has a link to something even weirder.

loving why?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bet it woke the passengers right up.

I've had lightning strike near me a couple times. You feel this weird tingle for juuuust long enough to go "uhhhhhhh :stare:" and then *pow.*

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

meltie posted:

How, even? Could you even reach the hand basin? And the suction drain on those isn't that powerful...

Barf bag that gets periodically dumped in the toilet. Been there, done that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

revmoo posted:

Can we not discuss trump in the airplane thread?

It's not really discussion. It's a totally intelligible analogy that anyone without brain worms can understand and relate to.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ola posted:

One of a kind historical planes shouldn't fly....

Agreed. It's easy to say "planes were meant to fly" when you're not the generation denied the chance to even see one on the ground because your forebearers crashed the last survivor into a barn out of pure sentimentality.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My four and a half mile commute would be a lot more convenient and enjoyable of I could resurrect Project Pluto.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s just for the rental car he needed for 9 days prior to launch at KSC?

But it includes travel aboard "Gov. Spacecraft." I love it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The Air Force really , really does not like the idea of the Army having it's own fixed wing air assets.

Though why they didn't get pissy about the Citations and Gulfstreams I don't know.

And yet the Navy's army has its own air force. Go figure.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mlmp08 posted:

I wonder how much the airliner had to slow down and/or work an intercept on the Hawks instead of vice versa.

What I can Google up has the Hawk cruising about .02 of a mach faster, whatever that's worth.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Better to be on someone's poo poo list than the obituaries page.

It seems to me what gets people killed is not realizing when "neither" has stopped being an option. It's like how what kills people in wilderness survival situations is not realizing they're in one.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jealous Cow posted:

How the gently caress did they not scramble jets to intercept him.

Because then there'd be even more aircraft too drat close to the bridge.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Finger Prince posted:

This ancient navigation thing is pretty cool. Today we're all like :aaaaa: you measure the reflection of stars in a puddle of mercury whaaaaaat???
So the ancient mariner asks: yeah, so what do you do to navigate?
Well, we put a satellite - thats a machine that orbits the earth - in the sky, and the satellite has a device that counts the elemental particles decaying off a radioactive isotope... You're just gonna have to trust me that's a thing... Anyway because those particles come off at an extremely regular interval, you've basically got an extremely accurate clock. Now you know all about navigating with accurate clocks, right? So this satellite transmits the time on it's clock over wireless radio to anyone with an appropriate radio receiver, so they can know exactly where they are withing a couple of meters. You can buy one for the equivalent of a couple of shillings.

Atomic clocks use vibrations. Decay events are random, to the point where you can use slivers of radioisotopes to drive hardware random number generators for e-gambling.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Motherfuckers gonna door ding it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

First time I’ve seen an SR-71 up close too. Such a beautiful thing.

Truth. The one at the Udvar Hazy in Northern Virginia is the meeting point where tours start because you can say "blackbird" and even people who know nothing about planes will figure it out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mortabis posted:

Is this because of incorrectly maintained seats or something, or are the L-39 ejection seats just not as good as the ones in modern jet fighters? I was under the impression that modern ejection seats are more or less foolproof so long as you're subsonic and not inverted at low level.

Some modern ejection seats can handle inversion or low altitude, though from I understand not both. They can even get you out safely from a parked plane.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The mental image of being stopped at an intersection and watching an airplane go by, apparently pursued by police, has me giggling.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AAAAAAA

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, they are big.

I didn't realize until just now the C-5 is a bit longer than an A-380, 247 feet vs 238. Plane big.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

lol, good look there

What's the saying at the NYT? Snitches get accolades? A bus? Oh, under the bus?

If Boeing could only harness the power of this spin to propel an airliner that didn't crash

stick a forkner in it, its done

It's totally valid to go into how this all affects Boeing's plans for the immediate future. Outlining the stakes gives context for the deception and cover-up.

It's also relevant that Boeing is denying wrongdoing.

What I don't understand is why so much space is devoted to verbatim quotation of the lies that are refuted in the lead. Whose agenda is being served by carrying water for Boeing in the part of the article read by the fewest people?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I googled for pictures of sexy anthropomorphic 737s to post for comedy purposes but everything I found is way too graphic to post so just imagine a Boeing jizzing on a tied-up F-22.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Finger Prince posted:

Hey guys I found a Boeing airplane that's responsible for more innocent civilian deaths than the 737 Max.

Don't see much complaining about profiting from selling those though.

:yikes:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Best Friends posted:

The core driver of a whole lot of Boeing's decisions, including imo the move to Chicago, is the desire to break the unions. Moving to Chicago makes it easier for the execs to set up competing non-union facilities in alternate locations. A key driver to all of this is irrational but extreme management fury that blue collar workers were making decent money.

It's perfectly rational: the sole purpose of a company is to maximize value to stakeholders. This requires endless growth, since without growth there's no return on investment. There's a finite demand for air travel and shipping, large though it may be, so Boeing can only grow so much through expanding. They, like many companies, are at a point where they're forced to power "growth" through squeezing more out of employees. This is most of the reason wages have been largely stagnant relative to cost of living for decades. It's obviously not sustainable indefinitely, thus the phrase "late stage capitalism."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

drgitlin posted:

You might want to take care of your stakeholders but you’re only legally obliged to work in the best interests of your shareholders.

Yep. I got autocorrected.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Godholio posted:

It's a relic from the 90s; obsolete and long gone.

So what is it?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Charles posted:

Good job though, seriously.

Eyewitness accounts of anything are pretty bad in general. Heck, our memory in general is just bad. There's a good book that talks about it called "The Invisible Gorilla".

It gets worse when the only frame of reference people have is movies and videogames. There was an episode of Air Disasters where the investigators spent time barking up the wrong tree before realizing that multiple witnesses didn't know what a barrel roll is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There have also been numerous cases of people in exit rows opening the doors "to get some fresh air" as well as to smoke.

I'd imagine the cleanest air in China is probably inside a pressurized airliner.

Airliner doors are designed so this isn't possible at altitude. The pressure differential holds them in place. But I bet people have tried.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tsuru posted:

Bellingcat has footage of moment that the aircraft was hit, including geolocation info of the footage with the 737 flight path. Just in case anyone still had any doubts.

Don't really want to link it, but it's on their twitter.

Why not??

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mortabis posted:

Being mad about Kobe Bryant owning a helicopter is just bizarre. Like, he was one of the best basketball players ever. Unless the basic objection is like, people should not get to have more stuff than other people, in which case lol shut up and color.

Massive income inequality is bad.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bull3964 posted:

I mean, today, wouldn't all you really need to do is strap a blowtorch to a Mavic Pro Max and have it bump up against a lifting cell?

I'm thinking those flame thrower equipped quad copters from the China special of Grand Tour.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Safety Dance posted:

Sadly I was unable to convince my wife that we had ever "been talking about buying a widebody airliner."

Don't blame you for trying. :buddy:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm also somewhat concerned that the cabin altitude gauge goes to 50,000ft.

Is there any purpose for this?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

beep-beep car is go posted:

When someone wants to open some windows and get some fresh air in flight.

ausgezeichnet posted:

Standby standby altimeter when a cabin window blows out.

:ms:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

moparacker posted:

It looks like the newly upcoming MS Flight Simulator will use FlightAware information to add NPC planes to the sky.

I'm hoping this means that there's an opportunity to ride along with Air Wagner in realtime.

https://stormbirds.blog/2020/07/03/flightaware-to-fill-flight-simulators-virtual-skies-with-airplanes/

Is there a term for this kind of feature, or Forzas AI cars that are recorded runs of other players? Massively single player?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warbird posted:

Does that let you lawn dart into the ground/building/another plane/fukkin moon like the old games did before 9/11 or so you just bounce along the ground?

The number one most important feature for me is that crashes need to be spectacular to make up for for often I cause them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is it pilots killing A5s or is it A5s killing pilots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhAJrKyg2AA

Wikipedia has a lot of accidents, and, uh...

quote:

Witness reports and NTSB data obtained from the aircraft's flight recorder indicate that he was engaged in low flying at the time of the impact.[79][80] Halladay had taken delivery of his new A5 on October 12, 2017.[81][82][83] His was the first of the Model Year 18 aircraft to have been delivered.[50] On January 19, 2018, an autopsy revealed that Halladay had traces of morphine, amphetamine, and Ambien in his body system at the time of his death