Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

DiscoDickTease posted:

ARRR! That be the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Mount Hope, Ontario! I tend to go every year on Fathers Day to watch 'em all gently caress around. I love the sound and the smell of that 100LL exhaust fumes.

For the 150th Anniversary of my Artillery regiment, I got to dance with my girlfriend under the nose of that thing, in full dress uniform, to a brass band.

I felt like it was 1942 all over again, and it was AWESOME.

Also, that particular Lancaster was used by Maritime Sea Command as a sub-hunter and SAR bird for a while. Her sister is on a pylon at CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

At the old Hamilton Air Show, when the Lancaster used to do 100-foot flybys of the runways, they had pyro.

But the engines were louder than the pyro. God I love that old bird, and I live right under her flight path, so I get Merlin growl about once a week.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I wish I could find that picture of the JU-52 flying in formation with a brand-spankin' new Lufthansa A-340. Apparently the 340 was flying with flaps full and slats out, barely above idle, and the Auntie Ju was flying balls to the wall, and could still barely keep up.

Amazing the advances we've made.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Minto Took posted:

I can't imagine how governed they'd have to be. Four of those at full throttle could rip up the wings.

Don't you mean rip the wings clean off, like the B-47? Gated throttles so you don't overspeed the airframe?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

If you watch the video, he was at low speed at a high pitch-up. Then you see the wing dip to the right, and he rolls right on in. Lucky he bailed out when he did.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

slidebite posted:

I always thought a lawn dart was slang for crashing?

Or a F-104 Starfighter.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

tripsevens posted:

Catering truck experiences hydraulic failure, renders A380 inop.
Emirates Airlines not amused.

Bwahaha I know exactly where that is, too. Like gate 30, Pearson International. Every time I've flown out of Term1, that Emirates A380 has been sitting there. Bet it's the same registration number too.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Boomerjinks posted:

6931 - CIA Headquarters - Langley, Virginia - September, 2010

I managed to spot the tail of this A-12 while we were sneaking around the rear access roads for the complex. I could probably have snapped a picture but we didn't want to wear out our welcome since we had to be in New York later that night...

So, that puts me at 17 seen out of 30 on display!

Those two stars are CIA Intelligence Stars. I wonder if who won them and why will ever be released to the public.

Maybe in another hundred years or so.

EDIT: On further investigation, it appears that particular bird was part of operation OXCART. The pilot and RO both got intelligence stars for that one.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 10, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

grover posted:

Dubious distinction of the only aircraft in WWII to have been shot down by pistol fire.

So the last dog-fight on the Western front of WWII ended the way the first dogfight on the western front of WWI started; pilots shooting pistols at each other. That's irony for you.

In that time of supersonic rockets and jet aircraft, just two dudes popping away at each other.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I love the salute he throws at the end of the b-boy routine, he throws it so hard his whole arm wobbles like it was made of metal.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Electronaut posted:

"SR-71B #61-7957
SR-71B tail number 17957 suffered a double generator failure over Washington 11 Jan 1968. She managed to stay airborne nearly 1000 miles before crashing less than 10 miles short of the runway at Beale AFB, CA. Both student pilot Capt David Fruehauf and his instructor, Lt Col Robert Sowers ejected safely. "

:monocle:

Shiiiiiiit. That thing makes one hell of a glider. Or they were really, really loving high going really, really loving fast. Most likely the latter.

Also CF pilots doing exchanges with USMC is nothing new, we fly a very similar airframe (Until all of the USMC upgrades to the superbug) and we have less airframes than pilots at the moment I believe.

ALSO I MISSED THE FIRST HAMILTON AIR SHOW SINCE I WAS 15 OVER FATHER'S DAY FUUUUUUUUCK The Canadian Warplane Heritage has one of two flying Avro Lancasters and the show got shut down years ago because of loving stupid hippies and "blah blah IT'S A WAR SHOW blah blah" and I'm sad because I'm in Korea and only see ROK and USAF F-15/F-16s turning and burning out of Gwangju and Busan :(

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Why are the F-22s still grounded? Mechanical fault, or software issues?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Boomerjinks posted:

Oh my god the colors, it's like looking back at my micromachine air force!

How...what? That's beautiful!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Holy poo poo the P-8 is a 737 with a BOMB BAY

How cool is that poo poo?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

wee tank:

weetank by RReiheld, on Flickr

What the hell? A Panzer4? What is THAT doing sitting in a junkyard?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Aero737 posted:

One of these Trijets is not like the other.

Holy poo poo

North Korea, Ladies and Gentlemen. North Korea in a nutshell.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

Here's a picture:

I want to know what this sounds like.

I can only imagine it sounds like the end of the world.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Epic Fail Guy posted:

The new BA commercial is incredibly well done, and features some classics. Love that VC-10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4JdQi60an0

:fap:

God the loving Concorde was a sexy machine. I can just imagine being one one of them and the kick in the rear end it must have been when the burners lit off.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The A4 is such a cool loving airplane, I expect every pilot flying one of those things to be sporting a big poo poo-eating grin.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

POST THE BUFF-IEST PICS YOU GOT

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Tail-gunners on Lancasters/Halifaxes were just as bad, and were always the first target. Power-operated turret you had to be locked into.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Goddamn I'd sell my left nut if we could get the Snowbirds into some airframes worthy of their skills. I'd love for them to get the hornets we'll retire when the JSF comes into service but those are some seriously old, taxed birds by this point.

EDIT: In that Four Horsemen video look how OLD those guys are to be Captains. Good lord.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 8, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Something similar happened on Birgenair 301 back in 96, with a 757. Mud dauber wasps made a nest in the pitot tube that fed the Pilot side instruments, but not the copilot side. So the pilot got overspeed while the copilot got stall, and the captain stalled it right into the ocean because the copilot was afraid to challenge the captain.

You'd think since pitot, instrument disagree had happened before there'd be more training on it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

No, if I did then I would be able to afford a MiG-21. And I'd need the roughly $5000 per hour in fuel and money to pay for all the repeated experimental certifications and so on...but hey, that's still less than a Lamborghini. Definitely worth it.

I hear that Michael Dorn (Lt. Worf) has one. True?

According to Wiki he has a T-33, a F-86 and a Saberliner. Which is awesome. Worf is awesome. Worf in a MiG-21 would be more awesome.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Goddamn that's one big bitch of an aircraft.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

More Discovery.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

grover posted:

Houston's shuttle was delivered in flyable condition, too.

:stare:

Enough with the Columbia jokes already.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

InitialDave posted:

They should have just sucked it up and accepted they made a bad decision. I genuinely view having the "lifetime ticket" fliers as being a positive PR thing for them, especially given that they "fixed" the pricing issue.

On the other hand, the article does note Jacques Vroom as wearing Crocs in public, which does not endear him to me greatly.

They are comfortable as poo poo, and if you give no fucks they're perfectly fine footwear.

But you must give -zero- fucks.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

More airports should be like Incheon, it owns.

Incheon airport is and always will be my favorite airport ever. It is what an airport should be; efficient, comfortable and convenient. I live in Korea and take vacations quite frequently, so I've gone through Incheon a good dozen times in the 2 years I've been here. It's SO easy going, tons of food and shopping, lots of open space to lie down, plugs everywhere, very fast free internet...And it's MASSIVE, and only getting bigger for the 2018 Olympics.

On the flip side of that you have some horrible airports in Asia. Hanoi is dreadful, and the Low Cost Carrier Terminal at Kuala Lumpur is a giant overpriced shed. Phuket isn't half-bad because at least there's a Burger King and a Subway and you can buy booze in the waiting area.

Last time I passed through Phuket was the night Air Australia went bankrupt. I'm waiting for my Korean Air flight back to Incheon, and there's thousands of stranded Australians. They're not bad, they're not frustrated. They're drunk, and playing makeshift cricket. And they're making jokes over the announcement system. "Oi we're passing around a hat, anyone mind pitching in a tenner for some petrol?" The assault-rifle toting guards weren't too pleased but gently caress it. They made the best of a poo poo situation.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

A guy I went to tech school with works down at Tyndall in the 82d ATRS...and he got a flight in a QF-4 the other day. Words do not describe my jealousy right now.

:stare: they're using one of Robin Olds' old F-4s? That drat airplane should be in a museum.

Or you need to have a qualified moustache to fly it.

EDIT: Can you imagine the :smug: of the pilot assigned to it? "Oh, you fly the Raptor? That's cool, I guess. I fly the most killingest jet still in the air. There's a permanent mark in the ejector seat from Olds' massive balls."

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 18, 2012

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DoriDori240 posted:

That is not Olds' Phantom. That is just a F-4E that was re-painted to look like his F-4C as part of the AF's Heritage flight program. They'll shoot it down eventually also, pretty paint and all.

Oh, well poo poo. I think the real Scat is at Wright-Patterson.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, the CF-35 is turning into a gigantic poo poo-show for the current Government.

Mainly because the current government was elected on promises that 65 CF-35s would cost no more than 18 billion dollars. And now it's nearly triple that. You know it's bad when an ombudsman says "Welp it's 42 billion" and the government shits bricks, hires a private company to disprove those figures...and ends up proving them right, plus another 4 billion.

They hosed up massively, and are desperately trying to do damage control. It wouldn't be the first time a military spending fiasco killed a government.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

AROs are great air tools. They last forever if treated properly.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

This is a photoshop but it still deserves to be in this thread:

USMC_Aviation.jpg

Oh my God this is loving laffo as hell

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah if Canada ends up buying that thing I'll eat my hat because it'll be a loving political NIGHTMARE. Though the conservative government seems hell-bent in wasting as much money as possible on defence projects, like several billion dollars for a few tenders.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Can you imagine getting that phone call?

"Hello, I'm so and so from Malaysian airlines. I'm so sorry to tell you this, but it appears the flight that your husband, Joe Blow, was on has vanished. I'm so very sorry."

"HEY JOE! APPARENTLY YOU'RE DEAD!"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

A general rule for procurement for the Canadian Military;

It is always going to be a shitshow.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Psion posted:

they have "the movie" in tiny font. Cheaters. :colbert:

Eh, I don't have any problems with memorial or reproduction aircraft. The Lancaster that the Canadian Warplane Heritage flies served as a SAR plane for many years before getting laid up, only to get restored and turned into the Mynarski Memorial Lancaster...

(That guy should have his own "bad-asses of history" post. Plane gets hit, he catches fire, beats on the stuck tail turret doors with an axe while on fire to try and save his friend, bails out while on fire. Lanc hits the ground, ejects the tail turret with the gunner inside, tail gunner survives. Mynarski died, and got the VC for his efforts)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Just found out I'm going to be in England just in time for Flying Legends.

Tickets are sold out.

Why does god hate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Apologies if this has been posted - Here is 10 minutes of that guy who crashed the B52 at that airshow, apparently a bit of a dickhead but I don't know much about it.

It's all crazy stuff but what he does starting at about 4.12 blew me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQa4PpIkOZU

:stare:

Terrain following, indeed.