Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fucknag posted:

If they're in danger of being strafed in New Mexico or wherever they were based, something has already gone very wrong indeed.

No, no, no, they're parked close together so they can be protected from saboteurs !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

You're a beautiful person. Effortpost 4 Lyfe.

Especially obscure Nazi warplanes and starlets. I have a terrible feeling both will end up featuring in the same story.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Live action crimson skies reboot looking good

Area 2088.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humphreys posted:

What's this? All I found was a teaser for a movie in 2012 which in itself looks cool but doesn't have anything close to Crimson Skies in asthetics:

Sorry mate, it looked futuristic to me so I imagined a futuristic reboot of the series, which would just have to be called Area 2088.

As penance, I'll link the Strike Command Let's Play again.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107

It's a goon-run PMC, air ops only since we don't have a boat. Yet. The way it goes is, goons sperg out about what planes to buy next for 15 pages. Then Yooper feeds us story and plot twists for 8-10 more, then we get a mission description, people post detailed operational plans with silly code names and we vote on them. When an actual mission finally happens, Yooper grabs a beer, fires up C:MANO and livestreams the mayhem.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Man, the Captain Sum Ting Wong hoax is just too good.

It cost someone an NTSB internship for confirming those names when the first news station called to confirm details, but I say it was worth it. "Hey, that's an odd date for an internship to end." "Funny story..."

I'd want that person on the team, they'd help keep things light. Just, y'know, don't let them communicate outside the organization.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

david_a posted:

Edit: the guides are all volunteers and most of them know a ton of stuff. If it's a dead day you can easily pump those guys for a lot of info. The actual guided tour takes like 4 hours.

Absolutely chat up a docent and get yourself a personal tour. A buddy and I did the Hornet in Alameda that way. We got a guide to ourselves and the whole two hours was "what do you want to see next ?"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'd kill anyone in this thread for a ride in a Spitfire. What the gently caress Tom Hardy.

And I'd add in everyone's families for the chance to spend my Hollywood Actor Money on flying lessons so I could actually fly the things. But no, he wimps out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've also read that the SAS actually staged a commando raid to secure a working He 177 (early 1944 there was a 'baby blitz' against London - not against any D-Day staging area or port - as a 'vengeance raid' against the Allies for their bombing attacks, of which the He 177 flew some missions for.) So this is what the SAS did in November 1944:

You can't officially count the English as participating in a war if there wasn't at least one cutting out expedition.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

poo poo's just getting going
but lol at ^^^ that thing

Looks exactly like a Mockingbird from the beginning of Macross/Robotech

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

joat mon posted:

E.g., two hydraulically powered turrets in the nose and tail that were undergunned (each with a single .303) that weighed the plane down when being used for transport.

What the hell ? A single .303 was undergunned in WW1 for shooting at biplanes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Yup, engine-rich exhaust.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm in the middle of reading Outlaws Inc. right now and the IL-76 is a good example of how a plane might have a good design and be well piloted, but still have a high crash ratio simply because of the vibrant second life they have flying around Africa/South America/the Middle East

Outlaws, Inc. is hell of a read. I recommend it to all aviation enthusiasts. It's chock full of crazy stories of shady flights around the world.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

because Killen makes a specialty out of clowning on the idiocy of top level Nazis in a way I can't help but love

:justpost:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

drunkill posted:

I'll do you one better. F-111 breaking windows and plaster/roofing on an observation building on a weapons range at bombing school:

That's really badass, but video of low passing the Grand loving Canyon set to Joe Satriani wins.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

I had something similar happen except it was a three-ship of Chinooks. I happened to be outside at the time and you could feel that poo poo in the ground. It owned.

The University of Arizona in Tucson is under the landing path for the local Air Force base. About every ten minutes you'd get a four ship of A-10s or F-4s (I was there in the late 80s) coming back from bombing practice. You'd just pause the conversation you were having with the person standing next to you for a whole minute. Both of those birds are amazingly loud.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Volga-Dniepr doesn’t need to advertise, the people who need them find them.

They’re also somewhat picky as to who they take on as customers.

Time to mention Outlaws, Inc again ! it's stories of the insane poo poo that people got into flying smuggling runs in ex-Red Air Force transport planes. Mostly in Il-76s, because if you rip out a bunch of safety equipment you can make room for about 15 tons of cargo in compartments that don't show up on the cargo paperwork.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ERL4G8/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I have been told that I personally contributed $700 to an open bar tab. That was almost two bottle's worth of Macallan 25 and Scapa 14; mostly the Scapa - goddamn they're good. I never got any grief about it because I'm morally certain that the (Australian) CFO's name was attached to the line item for the security golf cart that ended up in the pool.

That's the same CFO that made the most morale improving move I've ever see anyone in a leadership position ever attempt. He was the replacement for both the CFO that got laid off when they lost Levi's as an account when they got broke (60% of the office was laid off), and for the guy who wrangled a relocation contract with no penalty clause, and bailed on us the day before he was supposed to start after moving from LA to SF. to work for a competitor. So we took the Aussie CFO out to the bar his first week. He picked up a roughly $300 tab and announced that he'd approve a similar expense report, any time, no questions asked, for anyone. Morale in the office improved dramatically. I haven't seen the like since. It's a drat shame he a) works in advertising and b) moved to LA because I'd work for that motherfucker over anything.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 5, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ola posted:

Man, Accounting Insanity really gets you guys going.

Dolla dolla bill y'all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

revmoo posted:

USS Midway is pretty cool. I remember having a pretty long chat with one of the Docents about the ship's steam systems.

Docents are awesome. The one who gave us a personal guided tour of the USS Hornet spent half an hour talking about the Russian sonobuoy they had on display (he was charmingly vague if this one still had its self-destruct charge). We drained his memory dry in the CIC, that was great.

My advice on touring anything big with docents leading tours is to cut one out of the pack, engage them, and get them to take you on a tour away from the main group. Also if it has a CIC, stand in the middle and just bask in the sense of power, even empty, dimly lit, and with nothing on the displays (they're transparent panels with someone trained to write in mirror image standing behind them)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Oh god, [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNVUyiHITKk&t=558s"]9:18[/url]

gently caress. I'm just going to leave it. 9:18 looks crazy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

There’s some pretty wild stuff if you’re using magic wishes. Sea Dart, Delta Dart, Hustler.... seeing a pattern here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x13HJJwP62Y

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I've seen a similar stunt performed. It was on I-5, Central Valley, California. We were on a stretch that was 3-4 lanes each way, with a dirt divider of 50-75 between north and southbound traffic. We'd been watching this light plane doing fancy turns and generally trying to freak out whoever was in the passenger seat. Then the pilot goes for the big number to end the show. He takes the plane under the utility lines at the outside of the freeway, under BOTH sides. He missed clipping an 18-wheeler's cab by at most 50', probably less but it was 40 years ago and happened very quickly. We were also a couple of lanes over and behind the truck which makes it even hard to judge. Way too loving close by any estimate.

And that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do with a plane IRL.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Charles posted:

The Reddit link says they got wake turbulence from the Trimotor

If i read his description right he was also 10-15 mph too fast for that phase of the approach.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

I would imagine they fly a turbulence penetration speed into the headwind and likely fly with the flow of air in a circular pattern. Flying straight through the wall of wind would be kind of a nightmare, I figure.

I see an opportunity for mission-driven civilian flight sims.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Take a look at 9:00 :stonk:

That's not too bad, the pilot pulled up and to his left to avoid the risk of flying into a boiler explosion. It's still too drat low.

Check the accuracy against a speeding car at 4:12
Now those are some boiler explosions. 0:38 is particularly spectacular. I'd be tempted to fly through that too.

Me-163 at 1:50 !

e. And this needed music,

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5ec960e48acb7-lightnings-get-low-over-europe.php

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 23, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The third one just makes me all :smith: that we STILL don't have a new Crimson Skies game.

On the IL-2 engine god willing and the creeks don't rise.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I wonder what it looked like on RADAR sets of the period.

it'd be a small, intermittent, blip on a metre wave set, and show up nicely on a centimetre set.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I used to think the CAP was super cool and I was jealous of the kids who got to do it, but I have since learned from the aviation community that they're all a bunch of tacticool milsim sperglords and are usually hyper christian to boot and it makes me sad :(

I was in CAP for about 4 months back in the mid-80s. I gave up on 6am morning drill on Saturdays after asking about the flight time we were supposed to get. The answer was "LOL, not happening."

And that's how I spent some time in a paramilitary group back in the 80s :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/sncase-se-200-development-variants-projects.9620/

Unfortunately the larger images are reg-locked, but they're big enough to get an idea.

A PBY is the classic, but imagine having one of these as an air yacht.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That and these is the Dos Gringos trifecta. You can stop listening after these two, but c'mon, you're in this thread. Dig deeper or admit you suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLLbRt09wtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_YEsLbLBY

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

And in answer, 1C Games is having a big "Real pilots fly combat" sale on IL-2 base games with some aggressive discounts. The base buy-in is now $7.49. And they've already got VR support.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humphreys posted:

I have a weird boner.

The airflow into the upper pair of engines is going to be turbulent as hell. Move them forward.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

dubzee posted:

AI colorized and upscaled combat film from the 8th AAF in 1944.

Featuring footage from a Capt. C.E. Yeager at 1:45

Get Low Get Low. That's got some serious low-level strafing action going on. Below rooftop level is all well and good, but these are one story buildings. Some of the train explosions are phenomenal, you usually see the locomotive getting hit, a couple of these clips blew up cars loaded with ammo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

e: runners-up for best unexplored flight sim game world would be a latter-day WWII 1947 setting of piston and prop pushed to their absolute extreme, XF-12s, Mixmasters, Thunderscreeches, etc., and alt-1930s "victory through air power" world where it's all multi-engine air cruisers with 37mm cannons chasing after each other

IL-2 1946 had some of the 1947 paper-only aircraft. I'm partial to the He-162 variants myself, good looking, fast and heavily armed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFMBT2VAA4

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

WHOOP WHOOP JERRY JERRY
WHOOP WHOOP JERRY JERRY
WHOOP WHOOP JERRY JERRY

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Why isn't it called the VF-35B?

Because it isn't Variable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNn1_OlyjLk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's adorable ! It's deathtrap, right ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Zero One posted:

Speaking of squwaking 7500, jump to 47:30 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFYhdX1F578

And just keep listening, he's got some doozies to tell.

LimaBiker posted:

That guy must have the absolute best stories to tell if you find him at a bar.

And if you can't find him, read this book about all the poo poo people got into in ex-Red Army IL-76s and the like,

https://smile.amazon.com/Outlaws-Inc-Market-Dangerous-Smugglers-ebook/dp/B005ERL4G8/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

(sorry for huge image, it's a direct link from .mil so no fancy resizing available)

Good news ! Imgur will resize for you !

1. Upload image by URL to imgur.com
2. Get the image address and post it.
3. Oh poo poo, that's huge.
4. Edit post.
5. In the image URL, you want to add a s, m, or l between the bulk of the address and the .
5a: before, https://i.imgur.com/QO3E7nI.jpeg
5b: after, https://i.imgur.com/QO3E7nIm.jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

FAs used to get between $50-$100 on each approved application, it wouldn't surprise me if the pushier ones actually got some nice extra cash out of that.

You can't tip an FA, but that might be a good workaround for rewarding a really good FA with someone else' money.