Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Phanatic posted:

I like that in a thread devoted to aviation there’s sentiment that people who die in air crashes got what they deserved.

I’m not going to mourn a piece of poo poo rapist, even if he was grotesquely overcompensated for being good at putting a ball in a hoop.

Pity about the kids though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Inacio posted:

canard pusher pax jet when

I assume there’s an obvious reason why these aren’t a thing, but I’m still offended they aren’t.

I drool over Rutan designs and Velocity kitplanes though, so I clearly have bad judgement.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BalloonFish posted:

The pace of advancement in aviation in the first half of the 20th century really was extraordinary.

I only recently rediscovered an obsession with aviation that I abandoned as unrealistic as a kid. Even went and got my third class medical a couple of weeks ago in preparation for getting my ppl, though the pandemic is loving that right up. Am I crazy for thinking it odd that progress seems to have slowed much more than one might expect on this front, at least in terms of small aircraft? I find the stuff nation states do interesting, but far more compelling are the innovative designs people come up with that I have a chance at actually flying someday. I love the various canard designs, but most are pushers which murder the pilot much more easily in an accident and require a huge runway with zero soft field ability. Maybe there’s a reason people in GA so often just build an RV, but surely someone out there is designing insane and interesting experimental GA aircraft, no?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Maybe that was the part that led him to decide to tackle the Rockies at night while exhausted in an unfamiliar aircraft.

Edit: Makes me wonder how many people out there are just saying "gently caress the FAA" and flying on a few hours of student time. I think I read in this thread that ramp checks basically don't exist if you stick to less-busy untowered airports? I know that some hilarious percentage of "ultralights" aren't even remotely 103-compliant.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 22, 2020

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

After the conversion it would be an experimental-certificate aircraft, and that means you can't fly it over populated areas or into class B airspace or a bunch of other places without specific written permission.

I’ve been looking at experimental kits for a while now, and this is the first I’ve heard of these restrictions. Google isn’t helping. Can you provide a citation?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Less painful than rivets, surely.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

If you click through it looks like one just glued their hands to the nose of an aircraft. Not as interesting as I had hoped. Climate activists though, so they do have a point.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

PT6A posted:

If they haven't glued themselves to a critical surface, I say add them to the weight and balance and get goin' :v:

gently caress you

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Craptacular posted:

It's obviously a joke. Settle down, Beavis.

It’s indistinguishable from the hateful people who are currently advocating violence as a response to political speech. It’s not acceptable to ironically support atrocity. Would it be cool if he had made a fun joke about helicopter rides but with a :v: to show that it totally wasn’t serious?

In short, it’s 2020, that’s not OK, and gently caress you too.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

maybe if you're a big stupid moron with an ugly face who smells like a butt.

Reported for doxxing.

Jonny Nox posted:

The idle rich glueing themselves to a plane are not lawful protests against systematic racism, it's not even the same category.

It is true that this is a different class (lol) of protest, but calling for violence against them even ironically is not OK.

Inacio posted:

Those replies are loving disgusting.

Agreed.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It doesn't exist.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

There’s a 1980 PA-28-161 on that same site with 7133 hours on the engine. I know “on condition” is a thing, but yikes.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Oh, I missed that. Not sure what to make of “**” as a compression measurement.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I miss making my own rockets from whatever materials I could scavenge, then stuffing the biggest (D?) engines inside and hoping they’d fly straight, or at least not veer into anyone pr anything flammable.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Just leveraging the dramatic increase in wealth inequality.

Would be really cool to see an aircraft like that. Pity there might be enough people to afford to fly on it to make it economically feasible this time around while millions are being evicted in a pandemic.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I doubt it’ll be anything other than that one render.

Despite my rhetoric I really want to see more cool new airframes.

Ideally weird ones though. Like canard pushers. More canard pushers.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Wild. I remember seeing alleged specs on the raptor before and thinking it looked good. Pity, bc pusher canards satisfy some inexplicable attraction I have to bizarre designs. For all it’s faults a Long-EZ looks like a hell of a good time.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

bonelessdongs posted:

Wasn't Eggenfellner also a massive idiot

I’ve heard this too, but it doesn’t seem to have stopped him.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

a no-poo poo sex shop

Weird omission. I’ve heard Germans are into that kind of thing.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

wrt ADS-B out, do private owners not ever just form a trust to own the aircraft? It seems like a minor hurdle to avoid randos from looking you up.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

also, never seen this before: the OMAC (Old Man's Aero Company) Laser 300. looks... iconoclastic

Looks like the Old Man was drinking with Burt Rutan and decided canard pushers are the future. Or just saw a VariEze and thought they could get investors on board with scaling it up and bolting a PT6A to it.

Speaking of kit planes (which we weren’t) has anyone seen these new Higgs Diesel engines designed to run on Jet A? Kitplanes had them in this year’s engine guide with the caveat that they haven’t been delivered yet. Apparently they offer good fuel consumption numbers and a high TBO at a low weight? Anyone who knows more about this want to post why the Swift FL150 is actually a terrible engine, assuming it’s not just vaporware?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

OK valid, but at least Jan Egenfeller isn’t involved as far as we know.

No, I’m not going to look up the correct spelling of that.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’ve been looking at Luscombe 8s. Seems like you can get a great VFR example for under $39k p easily.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m absolutely not advocating this in any way even though the actions of that pilot were reprehensible, but in a situation like that any random jackass with a centerfire rifle could ruin their day in short order. No rotor-breaking shenanigans required.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sure, lets jump straight to murder. Why not go straight to shooting at the cops?

Stand down, Officer. Idle chatter on a comedy web forum poses no danger to your ability to brutalize people.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Theorizing about how to kill people still isn't cool.

Dry your eyes and report the posts if they really upset you so much you whiny little turd.

Very telling that you don’t seem to give a poo poo about the people the pilot was endangering.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

:lol: he actually tattled to the mods about the posts he made up in his head. Amazing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

This rules.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I think it’s funny that people are so invested in dismissing the possibility that some UAPs might be more significant than birds/bags/the moon. That recent report was pretty clear that some of the evidence doesn’t support that position at all, but presumably it’s more comfortable to think you’ve got everything all figured out.

“I saw an optical illusion once!” doesn’t imply that everyone who sees something odd is also seeing an optical illusion, and it’s kind of embarrassing for posters itt that this doesn’t get more pushback.

Anyway I’m buying the DCs because I like old solid equipment and want a neck like a bull.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Murgos posted:

Because there are lots of ways to be wrong, thousands and some of them really common, about what you saw but to be right, it is some significant sighting of something never seen before, then you are unique.

Martians manage to evade detection by the other 8 billion people in the world but hosed up hiding from you. Just you.

Eh, no.

That’s the issue though. Even if almost all examples are obviously plastic bags that’s not evidence that all examples are plastic bags.

There’s a lot of space between “that’s a reflection, dumbass,” and bug-eyed Martians, but of course it’s convenient for smug denialists whose mental comfort relies upon insisting that they have all the answers to immediately jump to the most extreme set of possibilities instead of considering literally anything in between.

Must be nice to be so certain you know all there is to know.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

There isn't even ORDINARY proof here. Slow your roll.

What do you think I’m claiming exactly?

Be specific; I’m genuinely curious.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Note to self: consider nuisance-level organic vapor relief in respirators for future flights.

If you try to wear real respiratory protection they throw you off the flight though.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

You can get nuisance relief (but not actual protection) from organic vapors in disposable filtering facepiece respirators.

3M sells one valveless model in the U.S, the 8247.

EU/AU/NZ get the 9913.

Interesting. I didn’t know they made nuisance disposables. R95 is still better than the surgical and cloth bullshit people seem to rely on while traveling commercial. Still, won’t be setting foot on a commercial aircraft again until my P100 mask won’t get me hassled.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Kilonum posted:

19 year old girl became the youngest woman to circumnavigate the globe by airplane.

And also the first person to do it in an ultralight.

She did it going westbound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zara_Rutherford

Not a US ultralight though. The shark has >1000lb gross.

I suppose that was obvious to everyone else. Doing it in a Part 103 ultralight seems suicidal.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Yeah, definitely LSA. The Shark seems like a cool little aircraft, but in my experience every kitplane sounds amazing on paper.

e: Oh it’s not a kitplane. My bad. I’ve been looking at projects and just assumed.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 25, 2022

Loucks
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Is anywhere reporting the route? I didn't see any on quick glance.

Found her website. It has a rough map, and maybe more if you dig around.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I have really strong, data-driven opinions on masks and will not spend time around people with whom I do not live unless I’m wearing an elastomeric respirator but I feel like this subject has the potential to derail an interesting thread for a long rear end time. Genuinely appreciate the moderation that leans on actual facts though.

Thanks for posting the details both from the pilot’s site and also the excerpt from The Rules, hobbesmaster. I was on mobile and didn’t see that there was such detail. Also had no idea that there is a rule book for planet circumnavigation. I have to wonder how much engine and airframe efficiency played into her aircraft selection. I’m an “aspiring pilot” (I.e., got a medical then sat on my hands due to Covid) and it seems like there’s a real efficiency gap between some of these slick airframes with small piston engines (especially experimental stuff) and most other light aircraft. I guess there’s a trade-off in terms of what conditions are flyable, but I haven’t even finished Stick & Rudder so there could well be more to it.

e: first part sounded like backseat moderation which is dumb so whatever. Never mind.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 26, 2022

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Midjack posted:

He can start his own instead of trying to cower behind fedgov if he really wants that.

Did you miss the part where that shitbag sent Walensky a letter complaining about the length of the recommended isolation period for the Covid positive because it was impacting revenue, and then mysteriously several days later they announced that five days was plenty even though we know many people are still contagious after five days? Why wouldn’t they demand more when it’s clear the government is perfectly happy to do whatever they want no matter the cost to the public?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Humphreys posted:

In this case, it was a fantastic choice!

Cheering for mass death is really good and makes you look like a cool and rational person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

big dong wanter posted:

It's probably not accurate. the war is still happening and neither side is being transparent. A key example of this is somehow catastrophic Russian losses keep getting closer to strategic bits

Yeah this is the only thing that seems certain. Both sides, to include US domestic outlets, are putting enough mis/disinformation into the world that it's really difficult to determine what's really happening. Whatever is really going on I'm very skeptical of the narrative that Ukraine is definitely going to win this if everyone just sends them money and guns. All I can say for sure is that civilians dying loving sucks.