Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Can I post a picture that is AI as well as AI?

sorry I just love whoring this picture out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ball turrets are crazy:

The B-24 was not as well liked by crews as the B-17 was, despite its long range and big bombload. Apparently unlike the B-17 any crew in the foreward section of the plane wanting to bail out had to get to the after section of the plane first; this included walking through the bomb-bay first on a rickety catwalk.

On a related note, I think the reason pilot casulties were the highest is because with either the B-17 or the B-24, if the plane went too far out of control, the G force buildup would make it impossible to move. So often the pilots would have to wait until everybody else was out, then make a break for the escape hatches themselves.

German pilots also attacked bombers head-on, since it was the least-defended area. Lots of pilot/co-pilot exposure that way. It's why the B-17G got the chin turret.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
I could share a story about stopping ground traffic at PDX with a burnt bagel...

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Revolvyerom posted:

That's kind of a post that takes up space an otherwise interesting story about just such that event could be in.

Why wouldn't you post it? :confused:

:hehe:

I used to do GA line service at Portland International. At the time of this particular story, I was working the graveyard shift, 9pm-7am. Once a month the Line Service Dept had a monthly meeting that all personnel were required to attend, even if it meant getting up in the middle of my night. I managed to drag myself down to the airport a half hour before the meeting and started BSing with the day shift line guys, wishing the whole time I wasn't on that god-forsaken graveyard shift.

One of the perks of line service is leftover catering. Rich people usually bring an excess of perfectly good, gourmet food, and I noticed there were some tasty morsels laying out and up for grabs. So I grabbed a bagel, walked back into the kitchen that was attached to our conference room, threw the bagel into the toaster, and wandered back to the line service room overlooking the ramp.

Well, maybe two minutes later the fire alarms in our building went off. Strobes, horns, the works. Nobody panicked or anything, but goddamn if it wasn't obnoxiously, painfully loud, especially when William Herbert Blueblood, III, Esq. is in the lounge trying to read the Wall Street Journal.

The fire alarm system in our building wasn't just a local alarm: since our system was externally monitored, it automatically sent out an alert to the nearest fire department. The nearest fire department, at an airport, is of course the airport's fire department, which was on the other side of the airport. And since the taxiways were the most direct way to our ramp and building, the crash trucks rolled, and ground control called a halt to ground traffic along the path of the crash trucks.

I knew what had caused the alarm; our toaster was known to do bagels extra crispy, but hadn't set the alarm off before, and I also blame my very fatigued state of mind. I sneaked back to the kitchen and retrieved my bagel, which at this point was more the color and texture of a hockey puck.

So within 4-5 minutes of me putting my bagel in the toaster, our ramp is swarming with crash trucks, driving around assessing the situation. A smaller firetruck pulls up right in front of our building and the battalion chief or commander or whoever is usually the head honcho came walking swiftly into our lobby, turnout gear and all.

I sheepishly presented him the lump of charcoal in my hand. He gave me a look that seemed like a 50/50 mix of disappointment and annoyance, checked the rest of the building to be absolutely sure, and radioed the good (bad?) news to the crash crews waiting outside.

My manager apologized profusely, gave me a ration of poo poo, and promptly threw the toaster in the dumpster.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, one of the Oshkoshes they rolled out in blew a head gasket or something similarly catastrophic. It began belching steam out of the exhaust stack while pissing antifreeze all over our ramp. I assuaged my guilt over that by deciding it was better to have the truck fail over a burnt bagel rather than an actual plane crash.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

grover posted:

Using absolute dollars, or even inflation-adjusted dollars can be misleading; % of GDP is much more meaningful as it reflects that our nation is far wealthier now than in years past. By % GDP, Obama is spending more on defense than Clinton, yet less than virtually any other time since before the Korean war, and doing so while actively fighting two wars.

And the fact that it's lower by GDP makes exactly what difference? Do you think military spending should always be proportional to GDP?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

ApathyGifted posted:

It's just a better gauge on how much we're spending than absolute dollars is all. If I told you that I paid 7,000 a month in rent, you'd think I don't know poo poo about budgeting my money. But if I then turned around and said I make 3 million a year, you might go so far as to think I'm a miser when I could afford a much better apartment than that.

Of course I don't have an argument as to why you should plot is as percent of tax revenue instead of GDP. Probably because we run in a deficit so often that the percentages of other poo poo + military would be greater than 100. So you could probably go by absolute government expenditures, I suppose.

I just found it intellectually dishonest that Grover seemed to be asserting that the military hasn't been getting loved lately when according to his own graph we're spending more than ever since WW2, independent of GDP.

Anyway, not going to derail this thread. Somebody do a writeup about the NK-12.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

jediguy posted:

Yak-24 Assault Helicopter (I think...?)

awesome pics and thanks a ton but a dude posting in this thread not knowing the Mil Mi-24 Hind, a shameful dude

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I've been really out of it for a while, so I'll post this from my wedding:

I have fueled that exact plane many, many times.

Edit: Nice xtratuffs.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 5, 2011

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Here's Embraer's 190 testbed in Portland when I was doing line service; this was in either 05 or 06. The inside was, of course, filled with all kinds of testing apparatus and they had a pretty massive water ballast system that we had to fill up every day.

The crew were really nice though, and introduced me to guava juice.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Oh hell, I'll share a few pics from my ramping days.

The above King Air picture is a single exposure with no digital manipulation beyond some sharpening and turning up the saturation a few points.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

I just hate 'em because I can't stand up straight in the middle of the aisle. Compare and contrast with the MD-11 I rode on Monday, where I could just barely touch the ceiling in the aisle.

It's an interesting issue, since the Challenger and Global Express bizjets have a roomy cross-section, why couldn't those be incorporated into a regional jet?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

MrChips posted:

It does - but it runs deeper than just aircrews; put simply, there is redundancy in everything in a merger. Until you figure out what stays and what goes, it is easier to operate as two separate operations under one name. Integrating two airlines into one is a very complicated and often highly contentious procedure that can take years to accomplish. Back when Canadian Airlines and Air Canada merged, I remember hearing all kinds of ugly stories; aircrews getting into shouting matches in public, jumpseaters getting kicked off flights for no reason (other than you worked for the other guy)...it goes on and on.

The Challenger and GLEX both share a common fuselage cross-section with their CRJ cousins. The only reason why the business jet seems roomier is because there isn't a need to cram it full of seats to make money.

You're probably right. Been a long time since I've been on either a Challenger or a GLEX. And when I say Challenger I meant the old guppy-looking ones, not the 300s. Or is it just an illusion that the old Challengers look and feel bigger? (not being a smartass)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

MrChips posted:

The entire family, from the original Challenger 600 to the CRJ-1000, share the same fuselage cross-section. Some of it is due to what I mentioned earlier, but it also occurred to me that not only are there none of the dreaded CRJ window seats (where banana-shaped people have their only advantage over the rest of us) in the business jets, but also because there are typically no overhead bins either, which frees up a ton of headroom.

so....was it really all in my head that the 300s looked significantly narrower than the 600s?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Understeer posted:

Sure you weren't thinking of the ERJ-135/145?

PDX never got ERJs at all when I was working line service, so no. Except for Embraer's E190 testbed, but that's obviously not what I'm talking about.

Edit: lots of Brasilias but nothing else.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 21, 2011

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

So, basically the cause of Flight 447s crash was determined to be frozen pitot static tubes....

What I'm trying to figure out is how the Pilot or Co-Pilot didn't notice their Attitude indicators showing they were nose diving into the sea. :psyduck:

isn't that what was speculated as the cause years ago? Supercooled water and all that?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
HEY GUYS YOU HEAR A B-17 CRASHED?!

Boomerjinks, I bet you'll get more feedback here.

One of my best friends is now training on one of the last original Super DC-3s in the world, up in Anchorage. If that isn't enough to make you jealous, he sent me this pic today, taken from the cockpit of the Super:

Shot of the DC-3:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

MrChips posted:

That's an ex-Kenn Borek Super; even before I saw the old titles and Canadian registration under the paint, the day-glo orange topside with the black cheat line gave it away. I've probably seen this aircraft a handful of times back when it flew for KBA until 2006...their main base is across street from us.

Nice to see it avoided the scrapyard.

Be happy to know it is apparently very well loved, then. The C-46 pic was from today, so as of this post it's been flown within the last 4 hours.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
When I was working line service here at PDX, a USMC F/A-18 in Flanker paint arrived. I was pretty surprised when a Canadian Forces pilot got out. Apparently the USMC loans out their fighters.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Probably not a loaner...the various services have exchange programs, especially among the flying types (pilots, CSOs, NFOs, etc). There's currently a RAAF Squadron Leader up here flying the F-22 with one of the USAF squadrons, for example.

dammit dude fix your sarcasm detector, it was obviously an exchange program.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
The world's only airborne fish strike?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Can we not turn this thread into a F-35 D&D, like every other loving F-35 conversation on the internet? I really don't give a poo poo what your personal opinion of the planes financial situation is. I really don't.

Seriously.

PP-XMA, Embraer's E190 testbed visiting Portland back in 2005. It had a water ballast system we had to fill up every day for them, as well as fuel the plane. The Brazilians were really cool though, they'd always tip me in cans of guava juice. And I think the flight crew were the only ones who didn't dress exclusively in soccer jerseys.

E: wtf, both imgur and Windows Media viewer or whatever won't let me rotate it properly :mad:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

The CRJ is proof that Canadians shouldn't be allowed to make airplanes, sorry.
- a canadian

Don't you dare blaspheme your DHC-2/3 heritage

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that's my point. I know the rotors generate the static, but since it is already connected to the cable from the get go, it shouldn't be an issue between the two.

Reminds me of when I used to hot-fuel Astars :downs:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

D C posted:

We hot fuel all the time, hell, we do everything hot.

It's going to take more then a static shock to ignite Jet-A

Absolutely, and I was never worried about anything other than fueling quickly. Had a good routine down.

I also hot fueled a DHC-2 Beaver while it was lightly rolling on a float pond. Anybody that's fueled a Beaver knows how much of a pain in the rear end they are.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 27, 2011

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

D C posted:

It is a DC-3, so nice, havent seen any of the footage anywhere, we were filming a commercial for the owners coffee company.

http://www.storyville.com/

The guy flew the entire crew from Seattle to southern Oregon every day in his Embraer Legacy, though we were staying down south with the heli.

But yeah its full speed for the B2 (with that camera system) and just above stall for the DC3, around 100 knots.

I think we've shot more DC3s then any other planes.

Hah! Here's my old Grand National with that very DC-3.....in Juneau, AK:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Phy posted:

What's the story on Chuck Yeager?

Alpha male cockiness. Not that Yeager didn't have reasons to be so, but apparently he really looked down upon any pilots that weren't fighter jocks.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

7of7 posted:

I'm hoping someone with a better knowledge of airliners can answer a question about crosswind landings. It seems in videos like this that the wheel bogies on many airliners are somehow kept parallel to the runway during crosswind landings. However, I've done a bit of googling, and read a few airliners.net threads, and found that only the B-52 was actually designed to align the wheel bogies with the runway during such a landing. It seems pretty clear in the video above around 0:24(also shown below) that the A-340's wheels are aligned with the runway.

Can anyone settle for me whether or not any major civilian airliners are capable of turning the wheel bogies to align with the runway during a crosswind landing? I suspect the answer is no and some other mechanism such as simple inertia is at work in the video.

C-5 Galaxies also had the capability, but iirc it was disabled.

Cygni posted:

It's A340's that have that center wheel setup:

Not the only ones...

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
So does the USAF have a bunch of mothballed J58s sitting in some dusty warehouse somewhere?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Boat posted:

This was posted in the Amusing and Provocative Political Pictures thread in D&D and I figured it belonged here.

I always kind of had a soft spot for scale models of planes that never really existed and/or look nothing like the model once they actually do exist.

It kinda existed.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

How exactly do winglets increase lift? i had a good 3 hours of staring at one but I couldnt figure it out.(The MD-88 I was on before that had none.)

If you've ever watched a plane without winglets fly through clouds, you might've noticed that the air at the wingtips swirls up and over on top of the wing, decreasing lift. Winglets essential stop that air swirl.

Or at least that's how it was explained to me.

E: Beaten so utterly

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

That was a LOT of episodes of CSI for me. I did computer forensics for a few years....yeah I was foaming in rage sometimes watching CSI, I just couldn't watch it anymore. ZOOM, ENHANCE!

Protip: don't ever watch Bones.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

HeyEng posted:

On a civilian airliner note, I have a healthy dislike flying on any of the prior NG model 737's. Can't tell you why, but they freak me the hell out. Alaska Airlines operates a 737-400 Combi which I've flown on a few times. That one is highly unsettling to me.

You big baby, you obviously have never done the Seattle-Ketchikan-Sitka-Juneau or Juneau-Yakutat-Cordova-Anchorage milk runs in a -200 Combi.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like Classics because you can see the clamshell thrust reversers deploy on the aft of the JTD-8s :metal:

I never actually hated the pre-NG 737s, but again I grew up flying out of JNU on Alaska's 727s and 737s, back when I could be comfortable in coach and before these draconian security measures sucked the joy from flying.

I still remember the whine of those 727s taxiing at the airport, could hear them from my house in the Valley.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Late to the trijet porn, but at least I took all these:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Ola posted:

The upside down bit not only plausible, but has been done. Unfortunately, it was a brave but ultimately unsuccessful attempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

http://www.tailstrike.com/310100.htm

I guess the film is more about the role of a hero who is not supposed to have flaws, such as drinking. Interesting, but far less gripping than the CVR transcript.

True story, I was sitting in the SeaTac Alaska Airlines boardroom waiting on my flight back to Juneau when Flight 261 went down. Lots of horrified looks when that appeared on all the TVs, and it was a...somewhat apprehensive flight back to Juneau. I took comfort that only 737s did the SEA-JNU run.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Are...are those contra-rotating props?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

It works like a charm for the Tu-95

He just said they aren't contra-rotating, unlike the Tu-95.

So why not just use a 4-blade prop? I'm utterly confused.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Linedance posted:

Haha, yeah as if the French ROA EWR ARAACCS WFT Rafale could ever compete with a USAF FUAF full on loaded with AXRAM FUNDIP in an ALSF EXNOR exercise in AK of all places! LOL that's like saying a F17 could BBW a DG-444 in a dogfight with an Unintelligible Military Acronym!

Man I'm craving some AXRAM FUNDIP right now

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

I am heading to the Oregon coast this week for a family reunion. I would like to sneak away and take in one of the air museums out there but I can't decide between the Evergreen Aviation museum or the Tillamook Air Museum. Anyone ever been to either of these? Any preferences or recommendations one way or the other?

I've been to both, and they are quite different. None of the a/c at the Tillamook museum are cordoned off; you can walk right up to them, open hatches and stuff, pretty rad. Also their aircraft are pretty close to airworthy, and you'll see most of them have oil drip pans under the engines. The downsides are 1) It's kinda dark, and 2) there isn't much presentation, e.g. few informational placards, etc. Last time I was out there, you could go on board the mini Guppy, too.

Evergreen is much more sorted out, but everything is on a NO TOUCHING basis. Apparently they have a 747 water slide there now?? Been a while since I've been there.

Personally, I like Tillamook more because it feels more real, but if you're a plane nerd both places have a lot to offer. And with an early enough start you could do both places in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
I'm no pilot, but it seems to me that after the 2nd touch-and-go that I'd be able to tell I was going nowhere fast and put it down safely, unpack two dudes, then fly two trips.