Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Air Force still has over 2,000 TF-33s in inventory. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Not uncommon. The GPS systems that many USAF aircraft use is slow at picking up sats and generally only track 4-5 at a time, so the civvie GPS is used as a backup or to provide GPS to off the shelf avionics systems.

Both on C-130 and JSTARS our navs utilize civvie GPS systems alongside their integrated and antiquated GPS

Way back in the 80s (it might be the 90s), a couple of planes went down in the Pacific due to fuel exhaustion after getting lost because they lost GPS signals as the Space Shuttle was coming in for a landing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Definitely going to need a source for this. I know that reentry can generate a plasma wall that temporarily prevents radio contact for the reentering craft, but interfering with GPS seems like a stretch. Unless GPS was being degraded by the US government :tinfoil:.

Why Planes Crash: An Accident Investigator’s Fight for Safe Skies. The author is a former FAA investigator.

quote:

Upon returning to my office, I opened the accident-duty file. The top page was a list of accidents, incidents, and anomalies picked up by air traffic control the night before. I searched for activities in the Hawaii area. Halfway down the page, I found what I was looking for: “An aircraft being transported to Tokyo, Japan from Oakland, California via Honolulu, Hawaii did not close flight plan.” As Peter said, it could mean anything. Sometimes planes secretly landed on remote dirt runways to load up with lucrative Hawaiian marijuana. Other planes simply changed their heading without telling anyone. Most likely, this plane never left Oakland. Pilots sometimes failed to cancel the flight plan when the flight was cancelled.

I scanned through several other occurrences and accidents before I reached the bottom, where I found a second notation: “An aircraft being ferried to Tokyo, Japan from Los Angeles, California via Honolulu, Hawaii did not close flight plan.”

I made more calls and discovered that the pilots of both small planes had originally filed flight plans, but both had departed under visual flight rules (VFR). This happens when a pilot expects clear skies and doesn’t intend to use navigational aids. The decision by both pilots struck me as a risky proposition for a transoceanic flight.

I got back in touch with the LA mechanic. “Why would your guy fly VFR? If something goes wrong, the pilot’s got nothing but a wet compass to get him to Hawaii.” “Well, you know …” “No, I don’t know. So tell me. This is my job.” “GPS, man. He had a handheld GPS. The whole electrical system can fail, and he’ll still get there.”

The mechanic didn’t want to admit that the pilot who left LA was using a Global Positioning System (GPS) unit for navigation. While standard today, in the early 1990s, GPS was not an approved navigation system, although pilots frequently carried a GPS unit as a backup for the less reliable LORAN system then in use. The pilots argued that because the GPS unit was not installed in the cockpit, the unit was not a violation of FAA regulations. I didn’t care one way or the other.

“Well, GPS or not,” I said, “the Los Angeles plane never arrived. Nor did the Oakland plane.” “Weird, huh?” he said insightfully. Later that day, I gave my report to Peter Undem. “The two airplanes left California at about the same time, heading to Honolulu. Both filed flight plans but then went VFR, so they weren’t on radar. I’ve checked out every arrival at every airport in the Hawaiian Islands. Nobody has them landing, and based on what I’ve learned, I don’t think they were drug planes. There’s no evidence of a screwup in record keeping. They just disappeared.”

Peter stared out a window in silence. Finally, he said, “Dave, what you’re telling me makes no sense. You’re missing something. There’s always an explanation.”

(I cut a good portion of the rest of the chapter, here's the relevant part)

The two planes had disappeared on April 5, 1991. The fifth of April was the day of the Atlantis shuttle launch; the fifth of April was the day NASA calibrated the navigation systems for the air force; the fifth of April was the day the two planes using GPS left California and disappeared.

Two days later, I hurried into Peter Undem’s office. “I found ’em,” I announced. “Here’s the accident report.” “Found whom?” I knew that Peter had written off the missing planes as a couple of drug runners avoiding detection. In fact, he had reached this conclusion before even assigning me the task of locating the planes.
“The two planes that left California and disappeared.”
“Really?”
“The planes left on April fifth, the same day NASA shut down access to the GPS satellites while the Atlantis shuttle was over Hawaii. Both of the pilots were using handheld GPS units for navigation. When the GPS stopped working, the pilots had no idea where they were. I think they just flew around over the water in circles until they ran out of fuel.”
“And crashed in the ocean?”
“And crashed in the ocean. The impact probably killed both pilots. Or they drowned when the planes went under.”
“That would definitely suck.”

Fucknag posted:

Bullshit. And here's why!

Apparently I remember it wrong, it wasn't the Shuttle coming in for a landing, NASA just shut access off to the network. The mission that it happened on was STS-37.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 16, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

There were a ton made, they're not particularly rare. We're also using F-16s as target drones.

A bunch of the F-16 drones were worn as gently caress jets used in aggressor training and the early block models from what I remember.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Question as a thought exercise:

What would be easier/cheaper at this point: Restarting F22 production or staying the course with the F35?

Of course the whole export thing with the 22 is an issue, but in general and aware it's completely hypothetical.

Restarting F-22 production would probably cost the equivalent of 20-30 f-35s but since you're replacing their orders with much better planes its a wash.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

And the BUFFs will never be re-engined again because there are literal mountains of TF-33 engine cores sitting around. Thousands of the fuckers.

There's about 2000 left at last count and they're each rated for something like 4,000 hours?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

My mom is a slut posted:

The number of TF33's in storage has come up several times in this thread. I want to say the first number cited was something like 3500. Now its around 2000. At this rate we may run out before this thread hits the goldmine...
edit: this thread and the airpower thread, i guess.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11837&page=41

There are 2,600 engines as of 2006, there were about 3500 in the late 90s.

That whole book is pretty good at reading about the issues the TF-33 has. 70 times the shutdown rate of other engines is pretty :stare:.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ahem.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

My school had a JSTARs office a couple miles distant and Patrick AFB several miles the other way. I saw that video at least 3/4 times in the mid 90s and it's still hilarious.

Jonny Nox posted:

So the Concorde disaster. The DC-10 was such a terrible and dangerous plane that you don't even need to be flying on it for it to kill you.

From what I remember one of the alternate theories is that the metal strip caused a tire blow, which exploded a section of tire right into one of the fuel tanks, which was dangerously overloaded. The tire hitting the fuel tank caused a shockwave which ruptured the tank.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

:ssh: You're where I got the link from in the first place ;)

I figured as much since I can't imagine the Air Force subjecting anybody else to a video that bad as a recruiting tool for more than a couple months.

Funny thing is, depending on if they have funding for the year, the logo for JSTARs will either disappear from the building Grumman owns or stay up. I thought they finally pulled the program out of the area but they got funding the last couple years and the logo went back up.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 8, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

vessbot posted:

- All paint was stripped, as Wingnut Ninja noted. Just like the Space Shuttle External Tank... for the first few launches it was painted, until someone noticed that it's gonna burn up in the atmosphere and fall into the Atlantic, so what's the point? This saved 600 pounds for the Shuttle, I don't know how much it saved for the Streak Eagle. Now it sits at the National USAF Museum in Dayton, with a coat of standard USAF gray paint to protect it from corrosion.

From what I remember the weight they saved was around 50 pounds.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Somebody flew a drone onto the White House lawn today. Lost it in a tree.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

phongn posted:

The Russians have a comparable missile, the 53T6, in operational service around Moscow. The US Army also tested Sprint successors (HIBEX at 400G and HEDI-KITE at 200G) too :D Terminal-defense ABMs need insane performance.

quote:

The HIBEX program was part of the Advanced Research Projects Agency's Project Defender, a study of ballistic missile defense systems. HIBEX was designed for low level intercept of entry vehicles below 3 km altitude within 2 seconds of launch. Hibex' neutron-generating warhead would disable the fissile core of the incoming enemey re-entry vehicle. It would also kill all living things within a 5 km radius of detonation.

Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of weapon.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

This news broadcast appears to have the closest look, they're directly behind the car that gets hit. http://instagram.com/p/yqnvQ6OrkH/

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Tell your friends! Shining lasers at aircraft is a felony. They find people who do this, occasionally, and the prison times are not lenient.

They find those guys a lot actually, any time a pilot calls out that they got lazed whichever PD is closest almost always buzzes their chopper over there to catch them if they have one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

(It actually makes some sense for T-X to have some sort of red air capability since the USAF currently uses T-38s as pseudo-aggressors for the Raptor at Langley, it's just really funny to me that this $220.5M got put into the FYDP without anyone apparently having any idea it was there or why it was included, even if it was in the out years of the FYDP as opposed to an actual budget.)

T-38s as aggressor craft is pretty funny because way back when they were flying actual MiGs against US planes in the 80s they realized that T-38s were pretty inadequate for the job. The landing gear had a really nasty habit of breaking through the doors during high G manuevers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Southwest Airlines on Tuesday announced it grounded 128 jets after it failed to inspect backup hydraulic systems designed to serve as a back-up in case of trouble with the aircraft's rudder system.

Southwest released the following statement:
"Southwest Airlines discovered an overdue maintenance check required to be performed on the standby hydraulic system, which serves as a back-up to the primary hydraulic systems. As a result of this discovery, 128 -700 aircraft were identified as having overflown a required check. Once identified, Southwest immediately and voluntarily removed the affected aircraft from service, initiated maintenance checks, disclosed the matter to the FAA, and developed an action plan to complete all overdue checks. The FAA approved a proposal that would allow Southwest to continue operating the aircraft for a maximum of five days as the checks are completed. Approximately 80 cancellations occurred today as a result of the events and the airline is anticipating a very minimal impact to their operations tomorrow. The Safety of our Customers and Employees remains our highest priority and we are working quickly to resolve the situation."

Weren't those backups PCUs put into place because of the crashes in the early 90s?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
They moved the plane that ran off the runway at LGA to storage for the NTSB:

Dang!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

French Olympic gold medalist swimmer Camille Muffat and bronze medalist boxer Alexis Vastine were among 10 people killed in a helicopter crash in Argentina on Monday, according to Agence France-Presse and confirmed by international media.

Apparently two helicopters collided while filming a reality show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

It would be super cool to have a Catalina and live like those yacht guys who chill out in the Caribbean instead of owning a house.

The best Catalina joke I've heard was that navigators were not given a mission clock: they were given mission calenders.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MadBurgerMaker posted:

Amphibians are super cool. Some company called Antilles was selling, or trying to sell, a new version of the Grumman Goose, but I don't know what happened with that.

quote:

However, as of 2009 Antilles Seaplanes' manufacturing center has been foreclosed and sold at auction. The current fate of new Goose production is currently unknown.

Guess it ain't happening.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

Last page, but I think we can agree the best looking plane is every delta wing ever built.

Now someone post an ugly delta and prove me wrong.

XFY Pogo or Short SC.1. :colbert:

a face only a drunk mother engineer could love

edit

Fairey Delta 2 looks like a dog dragging its rear end on the carpet

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 29, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

Never underestimate the power of the Lockheed bribery machine.

Although I'm pretty sure the last manufacturer of new-build planes was Aeritalia building F-104S's, and I'm pretty sure they wrapped up production in 1979. Still insanely late.

Looking at the production info for the Aeritalia planes there's a grim statistic: they lost one of the aircraft ordered before they even delivered it. :psyduck:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

monkeytennis posted:

Jesus Christ the comments on that news page are worse than the usual YT comments.

It's RT, which is Putin's mouthpiece Russia Today. Since they changed the name more people link it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
My podunk little airport is now doing 747 maintenance for Transaero so there's always a good 5 or 6 of them parked on one side of the airport. It's amazing but flying to Florida from Europe is actually cheaper than what they used to do (flying to Asia).

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 7, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

There are many Air Disasters episodes that have the root cause of the crash be that very thing (not just for Korea, but any culture that places that much overriding emphasis on age earning respect.)

The most relevant incident is United 173 where the crew of a DC-8 literally ran out of fuel while the captain was absolutely obsessed at fixing a landing indicator light. He worked the problem until they crashed because the co-pilot and flight engineer (they still had engineers in those days, natch) were too scared to question him.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A Newark bound Dash 8 had to divert to Philadelphia because one of its engines caught fire.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I've always found it strange that the XL never entered production, even as only an export plane.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the TFR Cold War thread:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Boeing is expected to unveil a design this month that would add 2-14 more seats by reducing the size of lavatories. The plan is to make lavatories smaller on the outside while increasing passenger space inside.

Designers won't be content until we're flying in cattle cars at this rate.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

MAINZ, Germany — The families of passengers killed when a jet was deliberately crashed in the French Alps are "appalled" by a compensation offer made by Germanwings and parent company Lufthansa, according to their lawyers.

"The reactions ranged from blank horror and rage to despair and bitterness," Elmar Giemulla, a lawyer representing families of 35 victims, told NBC News.

Lufthansa this week made an offer of 25,000 euros ($27,700) per victim and an additional 10,000 euros ($11,110) payment to each close relative as compensation for immaterial damage. This would come in addition to the 50,000 euros ($55,540) per victim that Lufthansa had paid out as an immediate support in the days after the crash. Potential compensation for material damages has yet to be determined.

According to representatives for the Germanwings families, compensation after the crash of an Air France Concorde in 2000 was about 1 million euros per victim.

Lufthansa is really doing themselves absolutely no favors with this crash by pissing off victim's families.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Somebody bought Spain's Ciudad Real airport for 10,000 euro at auction.

It was built for over a billion. :stare:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33578949

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Duke Chin posted:

:stonk: Jesus loving Christ that poor crew.... except the loadmaster - loving idiot.

The CVR has them even noticing that straps were lying broken on the deck and they still just strapped some more on and went on their way.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

I need more coffee before posting about vector stuff. :eng99:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLB_P-WsPsY

On a side note the link for the Delta 191 video had the CVR for Western 2605 on the sidebar and god drat is that a harrowing final 10 seconds.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 18, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
That single engine that crashed on Long Island a couple weeks back apparently crashed while the ATC was directing the pilot to a (closed) airstrip that hadn't existed since 1990.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/air-controller-directed-pilot-ny-crash-long-closed-runway-ntsb-n416751

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What was the reason why the F-15C production was cut so early? 1985 seems like an odd time to halt production, especially considering the last F-14s were being delivered in 1992.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The people who found the flaperon realized that hey, whoops, we probably burnt other parts and debris from the plane in our beach trash clean-ups after they found it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Boeing has started production on the last 25 747s that they have orders for; after that production is going to cease. The A380 still hasn't gotten any orders this year.

RIP Jumbos, though the last couple production 747s will probably end up as new VC-25s.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Western designs were just as goofy, take a look at the Rotodyne and marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Some crazy Brits have plans to return the Concorde to service.

quote:

When Concorde flew for the last time almost 12 years ago it was assumed that it would never enter service again. With financing now secured, however, a group of Concorde experts are confident that the aircraft could recommence flights by the end of this decade. Aviation enthusiasts who may not have the means to fly on board could also have the opportunity to admire an aircraft placed on permanent display in central London.

Operated by British Airways and Air France, Concorde’s last flight took place on October 24 2003, and its demise has been heavily, enduringly, lamented by members of Club Concorde. The organisation comprises former Concorde pilots, charterers and frequent fliers, among others. Though BA and Air France have no plans to recommence Concorde flights, the group has now secured what it believes to be adequate financial backing to independently return the supersonic aircraft to service.

They have two aims: firstly, to place one of the aircraft on a purpose-built platform positioned by the London Eye and above the Thames; secondly, to return another to use as part of a Return to Flight project.

Drawing from a £40 million investment, the club is aiming to purchase a Concorde currently stationed near Orly Airport in Paris and to place it as the main draw in a £16-a-head London tourist attraction that would include a restaurant offering dishes that were originally served on Concorde flights. Club president Paul James hopes the plane could be on display by 2017.

Getting Concorde back in the air would be rather more complex. The club has access to an additional reserve fund worth £120 million and plans to use this revenue to purchase a Concorde currently on display at Le Bourget airport in Paris. When restored (and dressed in an entirely new, neutral livery) and deemed safe to again take to the skies, the plane would be deployed for use in fly-pasts at air shows and made available for corporate and special events, as well as for private charter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/travel/83904/concorde-flights-planned-to-resume-and-aircraft-proposed-for-display-in-london.html

Chartering the Concorde sounds amazing frankly.