Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

joat mon posted:

So how is that the Russians can make such graceful amphibians?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriev_Be-200

That might be the most beautiful plane I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Linedance posted:

You're the first and only person to ever describe a Constellation as beautiful.

Are you nuts? The Connie is pure elegance.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Preoptopus posted:

Are those pontoons?!

VVA-14 multi-role flying boat. WiG flying boat that could hunt submarines.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

YF19pilot posted:

Between the BV and Rutan, this is the big reason. It's kinda like the principle of how two 1" holes in a cup full of water will leak less than one 2" hole, but that two fuselages of width 'x' have less drag than a single fuselage of width '2x'. Makes it more efficient, performance wise, so you can get similar speeds out of a less powerful engine, and better fuel economy. I believe it is also suppose to eliminate prop-induced slip/rotation without needing trim tabs, which is why the Rutan bird can fly easy OEI. It is a very stable platform, and I know there are some other benefits, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. The biggest draw backs are, iirc, it's ugly, and it's more intensive to design and manufacture.

There is a famous(ish) race car designer who was a fighter pilot in WWII, that encountered the BV-141 while on a sortie over (I believe) Italy. He actually took the design to heart and was inspired by it in his designs. I can't think of the name, but there is a small cloister of fans here in AI that know his works well. I'm sure some of his stuff has been posted in the "Awesome AI pictures thread", and you can probably ask there about who it was.

Smokey Yunick

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

YF19pilot posted:

Yes! That's him! Him and his Hurst Floor Shift Special Indy car. Boy that Black & Gold (with red pinstripe) he always used is something else, too.

He (literally) wrote the book on cheating. My favorite was the 2", 13' fuel line to get around the restrictions on fuel tank capacity. He is single-handedly responsible for most of the NASCAR rules for vehicles.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Plinkey posted:

I had never heard about this. It sounds amazing and terrifying.

Don't forget that it would have spewed radiation out of the exhaust, irradiating everything it flew over. There was one proposal to have it criss-cross over enemy territory after it had dropped all of its warheads.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Quantrill posted:

Should I take a ride in a DC-3 this weekend?

Just asking should be bannable. Doubly-so if you go and don't take pictures.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I was really hoping that was a new FICON scheme.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I was always impressed with the idea to put the guns in the wheel spats. It avoided the need to synchronize the gun to fire through the propellor. The little bomb wings are just adorable...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Previa_fun posted:

Don't the Swiss Hornets have a FCS that allows up to 9g vs. the 7.5 for all other Hornets/Super Hornets? I'm sure I've read that in several places but I don't know if it's true.

F-5s are boss. One of my crazy billionaire fantasies is to own one. :v:

I'd step it up a notch and get a F-20.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://www.galvestondailynews.com/free/article_81fa2d94-3c0f-11e3-b8a4-0019bb30f31a.html

Galveston Gal, the P-51D at the Lone Star Flight Museum, crashed yesterday. Both the pilot and passenger were killed.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I think it'd be hilarious if it actually came down to them having to extend the runway to get the plane off the ground.

Then the airport owners would start trying to recreate the conditions that resulted in the errand jet landing there a la Cargo Cult behaviour.

Just talked to a buddy at the FAA. They are going to fly it out. "A big oops" is how he described it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://www.ksn.com/news/local/live-video-boeing-dreamlifter-stuck-at-jabara

Another stream.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

D C posted:

Was talking about Yachts earlier today, found the greatest picture ever of the Maltese Falcon

Looks like a still from a Duran Duran video.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

You'll see! YOU'LL ALL SEE!!

Ohmygod, I've become the grover of airships :smith:

I don't recall you advocating for LAZORZ on airships.

You are still safe.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Don't be silly, MiG 28's are black.

And have gatling cannon in the intakes.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

FrozenVent posted:

Fun fact: Cruise ships usually putz around at about 40-60% of their maximum speed. Sometimes they'll even shut down the engines and drift for a few hours. The only time you'd go up to cruising speed is when you're repositioning the ship, or you left the last port really, really late.

This is entirely relevant to the discussion of the economic viability of blimps because

I sailed on Oasis of the Seas last year and we had to return to port 4+ hours after departure for a medical emergency. We made up the time the next day at (drat near) full throttle. 225,000 tons at 25+ knots is FREAKIN AWESOME.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

FrozenVent posted:

Also Oasis of the Seas doesn't weight 225k tons, that's her gross tonnage, a measurement of volume. She displaces about 100k metric tons, depending on how many passengers and how much consumables are on board.

Stop harshing my mellow. It was still totally awesome. Our wake was huge.

With my in-laws onboard, she was probably displacing 300k tons. You know, 'cause my in-laws are fat and stuff.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

VERTiG0 posted:

Holy poo poo, how did you let yourself get roped into being stuck on a boat with your in-laws?

Hey, I managed to get out of having my mother-in-law STAY IN MY CABIN. (insert horror music here) I call it a victory.

I'm also really, really good at bringing alcohol onboard. 7-day blackout cruise.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Jealous Cow posted:

$550 and 30k miles for 15 hours in a lie-flat seat. Worth it.

Also, what the gently caress is up with this? Seen one pull up to United gates at both ATL and LAX.

It's a Porsche Panamera, the worst Porsche... in the world.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Terrible Robot posted:

Great, now I've got that loving Monty Python song stuck in my head.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Psion posted:

There are at least two flying B-25s I know of up at Paine Field, Flying Heritage Collection has one, Historic Flight Foundation has the other.

Galveston has a flying B-25. Best birthday present ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzUeM1ppoAY

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

What was photoshopped out of the sky? Lots of smudge tool under the plane.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

thetechnoloser posted:

Videotaping out of a crew chief seat on a blackhawk over D.C. again soon, any requests?

Poop on Congress.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Arishtat posted:

My God I think we've found the perfect AeroGavin delivery platform!

But seriously bleed air through the rotor shaft and into the blades? There are so many places for leaks to form and it must have taken forever to build up RPMs on the rotor.

Ever heard of the Hiller Hornet? It had ramjets on the ends of the rotors.

And no intercom.

The pilots had to scream at each other to communicate.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

joat mon posted:

It only used ramjets because there weren't any nuclear reactors that small.

I would bet that somewhere in a long-forgotten stack of blueprints is a design for an atomic helicopter. The Age of Atomic EVERYTHING was weird...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Phanatic posted:

Last time I ate Indian food.

I guess it was... naan-lethal.

<puts on sunglasses>

YYYEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I just got my itinerary for my next business trip. I get A319->CRJ one way and CRJ->717 coming back. Yay?

I've never flown on a 717 before. I had to look it up.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

DeusExMachinima posted:

That reminds me of a story an ex-pilot from the 60's told me. They'd fly F-4s by GA craft upside down between cloud layers. Without any ground reference the Cessnas would almost always turn upside down too because they'd think the F-4s were right side up. Another F-4 would usually creep up a few seconds later actually flying right side up and the pilot and weapons officer would wave really enthusiastically at the civilian flyer as they passed.

Of course, you'd probably get 50 lashes for that today.

Admiral Gallery had a similar story in one of his fictional books, except it was the Blue Angels and an admiral's P6M flying boat.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

:stonk: that takeoff though.

I'd pay extra if they would take off like that every time. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At MTOW I don't think it's possible.

Just kick off all of the fatties. The rest of us would like to have our armrests back.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
It wasn't at mach 1.8, but this happened...

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2014/07/28/child-poops-on-airplane-seat/

quote:

Passengers on a Delta Airlines flight from Beijing to Detroit last week were horrified when a Chinese child squatted on his seat and proceeded to defecate, World News, a U.S.-based, Chinese-language news site, reports. The child’s parents spread newspaper on the seat to catch the waste.

What the hell?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Solkanar512 posted:

Mind if I ask a really dumb question about the V-22?

Why is it that rotors are used for thrust instead of jet engines like say a Harrier? What sort of advantages does one type of engine have over the other?

The Germans tried something like that with the VJ 101C. Runway erosion was a problem.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

hobbesmaster posted:

Reading about the B-57 is so weird. The Air Force found them pretty useless for their intended role but still purchased 400 of them. The 50s were weird.

*mumble mumble* XB-51 was better... *mumble mumble*

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Slo-Tek posted:

This is nice. Early F-4 mockup, before they discovered they had to origami-fold the wings and tail to get decent yaw stability. Without the dihedrals and anhedrals, it looks exactly like what any 8 year old in the world would draw if you say "draw a fighter jet"

So pretty... That's just begging for a "When did this... become sexier than this..." image.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Crescendo posted:

Yep, you're all wrong, the F-5 is the most fighter-jet looking fighter-jet. :madmax:

Sleek lines, long pointy nose, nimble, stubby little straked wings with AIM-9s on the tips. It just screams pure utilitarian fighter.

Even better when it became the F-20.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

dissss posted:

The three V bombers all have somewhat of that look about them. I think it's because they all look like they could be straight out of 50s sci fi

V bombers don't fly, they are so ugly that they repel even the Earth.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Guess what flew over me last weekend?

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/news/FactSheets/FS-046-DFRC.html#.VA_Ao0s3wlx

:love:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Godholio posted:

I had no idea those existed.

I forgot that NASA had them. We were driving north on i-45 and I lost my mind when I saw it. I spent about 20 minutes telling my wife how SUPER FREAKIN' AWESOME THAT WAS and she just stared at me.

It's a miracle that I found a woman to put up with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Madurai posted:

Why every type of store carried by every type of plane has to be drop tested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTnmZ_HPAs

That sad little tail hook dropping at :33...