Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just read through the whole of this awesome thread.

Anyway, there was only a single mention, in passing, of my sorta favourite aircraft, the Fairey Rotodyne, a giant gently caress-off compound Gyrocopter.

Literally all the info I have is from Wikipedia, so if anyone can shed a little more light on this lump I'd be very grateful.

I said sorta favourite, because the Supermarine Spitfire exists. I know the Hurricane did far more and the Spit was basically a racing aircraft with guns nailed to it, but goddamn. Also, I have the misfortune of living in Stoke-on-Trent, birthplace of Reginald Mitchell. Museum here has a mk16 in a perpetual state of never-being-restored. Saddest poo poo here. If I win the lottery I'm paying them enough to finish the restoration, then getting someone to build me a Rotodyne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

We need more of these

People who hate Stoke, or 15 ton Autogyros?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ola posted:

Silence Twister. Not sure if this project ever took off or if it ever complied with ultralight regs, but drat those elliptic wings are sexy.

This just stood out to me as a tiny spitfire, that's really nice.

edit: just googled it:

quote:

Have you ever dreamed of flying a Spitfire? If the answer is ‘yes’, you should take a look at the new Twister! We are very excited to introduce this new kit-built aircraft, designed by Silence Aircraft in Germany.
:doh:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 10, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

co199 posted:

Look at how small the people are compared to the F-18 and the F-16, and then look at how small the fighters are compared to the B-2!

What are the white lines on the B2?