Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

azflyboy posted:

The PA-48 was basically a modification of a modification of the original Mustang. In 1957, a Florida newspaper publisher named David Lindsay got the idea to modify and refurbish old P-51's into executive aircraft, and in the mid 1960's the company was contracted to refurbish F-51's into ground attack aircraft for counter-insurgency aircraft that were provided to Bolivia, El Salvador, and Indonesia.

Lindsay tried to interest the US government in a turboprop powered version of the Mustang, but since they weren't interested, he sold the design to Piper in 1970, in hopes that a company with a larger manufacturing capability might be able to secure a contract. The plan sort of worked, since Piper built two prototypes for evaluation in 1971 (one was lost in a crash), and after years of lobbying, funding was granted for two more that were built and tested in 1983-84).

Despite the fact that the Enforcer (as the aircraft was called) performed well in testing, no production orders were ever placed, with one of the surviving aircraft going to the USAF museum in Ohio, and the other one is in storage at Edwards AFB awaiting restoration.

It's been reported part of the reason the USAF didn't want anything to do with the PA-48 is that by the 1970's they had basically no taildragger-qualified pilots left. Now, granted, the USAF/USN didn't totally divest themselves of C-47's/C-117's until just about that period, but I suppose it's a valid point. I'm sure the usual "It's not a Fighter, it doesn't give me a raging Fighter Jet Airpower Warrior Airmen Boner, cancel it" was in play as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

MrYenko posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a trijet with a #2 engine cover installed. Someone loved that airplane, once. :3:

One of the MiG-21's in a museum in Vietnam still has a protective cover in place over the SRZO-2 Khrom-Nikel/"Odd Rods" IFF antennae on the top of the tailfin.

e:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Vietnam---Air/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-21PFL/1100421/L/&sid=01751ccc9d941973ff61b88cfee2ba74

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 16, 2014

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

benito posted:

Sky Whale!

Reminds me of something from Star Trek: TNG.

These things come around every few years, and each time they're more ridiculous than the one before.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Nebakenezzer posted:

Modern airship post:

Popular mechanics has a write-up on the Aeroscraft airship. You should read the whole thing, but I can't resist highlighting two points. First, the production model they want to build is very much Aeronautical Insanity: the larger of the production models they want to build would be able to carry 250 tons of cargo (IE the capacity of the An-225) and land pretty much anywhere, at a third of the cost, using a third of the fuel.

Second: the ballast system. If you`ve been around this thread awhile you know that ballast systems are a major challenge in LTA flight, let alone when you have to deal with large amounts of cargo. These Aeroscraft dudes have solved it rather brilliantly: by making a ballast system like a submarine.

(Almost definitely not to scale)

It uses compressed helium tanks, and large air bladders. When more lift is needed, helium is sent to the bladders which displaces the air and creates more static lift. When you want less, compressors send the helium back to the storage tanks. This deflates the bladders and (duh) decreases lift.

Similarly:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ohio-Airships-Dynalifter/1091777/L/&sid=de943b021994a5afe93fcb8913a03dd7

This idea also seems to come up every few years, and it also never seems to pan out.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Slo-Tek posted:

Thing is, that a trip to the boneyard is not anything like one-way. Something past 40% of the aircraft that arrive at the AMARG leave again under their own power. Some as QF target drones, a lot to foreign militaries, and a goodly number, like the C-27's, back into service in the US.

But yeah, looks pretty dumb to have them built new in Italy and flown directly to the boneyard.

Thankfully, as noted, many if not all of these will see second lives with the USCG. The entire story of the Spartan program (heyoo) is a litany of interservice cock-measuring contests.

e:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Koryo/Tupolev-Tu-154B-2/2388766/L/

Is this a common practice or just something Koryo is forced to do because North Korea?

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 5, 2014

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Hey, it's worked for SUX :v:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, they're both -16s. BTV is the home of the VT ANG and they fly -16C/D and used to fly the A/B. Also, there's a Beech 18 variant NW of the main group.

EDIT: and an OV-10 on the SW ramp http://goo.gl/maps/mi1Z3

Why are they "displayed" inside the secure area where no civvies can see them? Because gently caress you, that's why.

e:and 2 F-102's at http://goo.gl/maps/yfNzh

e2:and this old T-29/C-131 http://goo.gl/maps/CVN1V

D C posted:

So Aérospatiale became Eurocopter, and now they are changing to to Airbus Helicopters. Thats lovely.

An operator was telling me that its going to create a mess with part numbers because there will be AS, EC and AB versions of the same parts now.

And I'm sure all the new "Airbus Helicopters" aircraft will totally be entered into the FAA registry accurately as such. (One company near me has their Astra SPX listed as an "1125 Westwind Astra." I get that this is mostly my spergy nitpicking, but is reading a dataplate that hard?)

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 5, 2014

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Ardeem posted:

Looks like a homebuilt moter glider. Might be one of these?

YO-3? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YO-3

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Kilonum posted:

I kinda want to stuff a pair of PT6As into one

"Let's stick a turboprop on (insert GA type here)" is a game I'd love to play if I were rich. I don't think I've seen a turbo Cessna 172 yet, though there are plenty of Bonanza conversions floating around

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Beech-A36TP-Propjet/2162052/L/&sid=a8c9d08b9236feaf757d0f281f5f1ddd

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Beech-A36TP-Propjet/1567740/L/&sid=a8c9d08b9236feaf757d0f281f5f1ddd

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-T210M-Turbo/1592243/L/&sid=b1a06def36d91fb118f607769a6ee8ee

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Beech-A36TP-Propjet/1371475/L/&sid=31b950ec62a8fd909c24f349f9e24d0b

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-210N-Centurion/1447615/L/&sid=b1a06def36d91fb118f607769a6ee8ee

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
http://www.npr.org/2014/02/15/275877755/the-secret-operation-to-bring-nazi-scientists-to-america

When I heard this interview, I had an inkling it was Annie Jacobsen again. I think the breathless tone talking about various things that I, and indeed other historians had all known when we were 13 gave it away. Why do people keep talking to this woman, didn't her insane Area 51 book prove she doesn't know anything?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Godholio posted:

Because they have thousands of TF-33 cores available. It's straight up not going to happen, ever. Not all the 135s were reengined, the rest were just retired...but all those engines are still around.

Also, E-3s aren't squadron-assigned like fighters. It's one big pool that 4 AD and 1 reserve squadron fly, with the exceptions of jets deployed or temporarily assigned to PACAF.

Somewhat related:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Boeing-E-3D-Sentry/2396982/L/&sid=9c7785122d669b80050bba4bcdcf1d10

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

StandardVC10 posted:

Keep in mind that Switzerland is a country that flew the Hawker Hunter until 1994.

It's not the Swiss' fault the Hunter is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever designed

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Axeman Jim posted:

Ilyushin IL-18

Oddly enough, SP-LSE managed to survive retirement as a restaurant (a weirdly common fate among Eastern Bloc airliners, actually) only to be destroyed by vandals who set her alight.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

They're still in use for a ground attack role by the Lebanese Air Force :psyduck:

Better than that, they were actually brought out of retirement for that purpose in 2008.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
To break up the UAVchat a little, a sad note: the end of an era for the Lockheed TriStar with the RAF:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Lockheed-L-1011-385-3-TriStar/2414808/L/&sid=53a595d125a74a46884bacca1c3cd698

I hope they'll save at least one of them, and I still wish I could see one flying sometime, unlikely though that may be.

(Although, on a :psyduck: note, there was a Jordanian charter company that operated a pair of TriStars registered to an address in Youngstown, Ohio, which appeared to have been a laundromat, the last time I checked it. Both have now since been deregistered as exported to Peru, though I find it comically unlikely either one has been within a hundred miles of the US for years.)

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

It never ceases to amaze just how utterly incompetent the German military leadership was during WW2. That they lasted as long as they did, let alone had any success it all is a near-miracle.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
What is it about the Squirrel/Astar (I hate marketing designations with the fury of a thousand suns) that makes it so accident-prone?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of codes, I suspect U of A is University of Arizona but my brain read it as University of Alberta and was deeply confused for a second :argh:

I know I've written this in this thread before, but growing up I found the sound of C-130s/Dash 8s reversing their props oddly soothing when in bed at night. Also during the 80s the Il 76/86s were the real earthshakers that might just wake you up.

Nowadays the only large aircraft regular seen around here are C-17s, which are almost whisper-quiet compared to the Ilushins.

My university (Northern Kentucky) lies right under the approach for Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International's runway 27; I have many fond memories of late nights listening to the freighters passing over my dorm on the way into the DHL hub there. Then again, I'm the kind of nutter who doesn't mind airplane noise.

E: and for some reason, the Columbus PD likes to fly their MD-500's in patterns really, really low over my neighborhood in Columbus in the middle of the night. Again, not that I mind, but daylight (and a photo-op) would be nice once in a while.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
Granted the 727 house guy might be a little crazy, but I can't be the only one here who dreams of having a yard full of airplanes, right? Hell, here in Ohio there're at least two dudes I know of who have fulfilled that dream, plus of course the late, legendary Walter Soplata

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Nebakenezzer posted:

Now this may interest the actual military types/pilots in this thread: the Flight Handbook for the B-36. Now you can see how you troubleshoot an aircraft with a small pre-ww2 air force's worth of parts!

I'd love to see what the Erection and Maintenance Manuals* for this thing looked like.

*yes, they really used to call them this and I have no idea why.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

LostCosmonaut posted:

1. Acquire Tu-22M.
2. Modify as needed to fit massive fucktons of AAMs. (maybe just a software upgrade? idunno)
3. Profit?

Bonus: Also capable of exploding ships illegally transiting Northwest Passage.

This was a semi-serious proposal for a B-1 variant:

Wikipedia posted:

The B-1R is a proposed upgrade of existing B-1B aircraft. The B-1R (R for "regional") would be fitted with advanced radars, air-to-air missiles, and new Pratt & Whitney F119 engines. This variant would have a top speed of Mach 2.2, but with 20% less range.

Existing external hardpoints would be modified to allow multiple conventional weapons to be carried, increasing overall loadout. For air-to-air defense, an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar would be added and some existing hardpoints modified to carry air-to-air missiles. If needed the B-1R could escape from unfavorable air-to-air encounters with its Mach 2+ speed. Few aircraft are currently capable of sustained speeds over Mach 2

Though given that "Crazy proposals no one ever ends up putting into production" is kinda how the Russian aerospace industry has worked since the fall of the Soviet Union I'm sure someone there has suggested something similar.

(here, we put canard and thrust vector on Su-27, add 10 to designation. You buy? We launch satellite from wing of supersonic bomber, you buy?)

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 3, 2014

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
I suppose it may be a dumb thought, but looking at all the new photos on Airliners.net, it does bug me that there is a bigger US military presence at this year's Farnborough airshow than there was at the Dayton airshow.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

hobbesmaster posted:

I always wondered why there wasn't an anti AWACS ARM missile, but then...

NPO Novator has product for you! It big missile!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KS-172

One of the many projects that kept steaming on after the fall of the USSR, despite the utter disinterest of the VVS.

Aero737 posted:

Tripoli Airport attack details

:stare:

Libya is a place that really, by now, deserves better poo poo than this.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 23, 2014

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Powercube posted:

That's assuming USFK and ROK forces haven't noticed the 1950's style mobilization tactics DPRK uses- found out it was for real this time, and waltzed in with tacit air dominance to take them out on the ground.

Remember, the AN-2 and LI-2 are still part of the PKAF. They are fighting 1958's war.

Hey, hey, Annushka is far from obsolete, just like the DC-3. Hell, US special operations forces still use (turbine converted) DC-3's.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Slo-Tek posted:

Don't see one of these every day.

Vought Pirate. 1945 first flight, first Navy aircraft with an afterburner, built out of a wood and aluminum composite. Was underpowered, and never saw active service. This is the last one left, and is a really really nice restoration to leave out in the weather like that.

And the moral of the story is, never let Westinghouse build high-perfomance jet engines.

e: I swear I remember seeing FISTY show up on FlightAware.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 8, 2014

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

StandardVC10 posted:

Deploy them as a secret plan to disrupt enemy communications by making them all deaf as posts.

The Tu-95 already does this though.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
Why has no nation besides the US invested in Gunship aircraft? By this I mean indigenously developed ones; besides the MC-27J and the "AC-235" there really aren't any that aren't based on US designs (the various South American AC-47s don't count, since they're basically evolutions of the original Spooky.) I would think Russia would have at least experimented with the concept, but I've never seen anything suggesting they've done that.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I see your F-15s and raise you:

That type (Shenyang J-6/F-6) is older than he is. I really hope they meant these for internal consumption, because they sure as poo poo aren't scaring anyone outside the North.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sudan-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-25/2512106/L/&sid=d3c99aeb7f335b93348a0fd207a75a09

What the hell happened on this thing's wing? I'm guessing fuel spill, but I can't picture how you could spill that much of it.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
Time for no one's favorite game, name that drone!

So from what I can tell, this is either an XQ-2, a Q-2A, or a Q-2B. Do we have any early American UAV experts?

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 6, 2014

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Godholio posted:

The US found those planes so valuable we left them behind. I'm pretty sure the USAF legit owns a few copies of both of those airframes. I know there are MiG-21s on display on USAF bases.

Not nearly enough of them. There've also been reports of MiG-29s used on target ranges :(

(I know it makes sense, but if you've got something that rare, just build a wooden dummy to drop bombs on, and put the real things in a museum in every state)

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

StandardVC10 posted:

Smallest thing I've seen at LAX was this Lancair:

Also a Cessna 310 once.

I've got a picture somewhere of an SR22 that landed right after a Polar Air Cargo 744 at CVG.

Of course, CVG isn't exactly what I'd call busy.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

MrChips posted:

The U-2, like its distant sailplane cousins, also uses a yaw string.

Another simple solution I've come to know is from the Hawker 125 family. Instead of a light to indicate the nose gear is down and locked, there is a little rod in the cockpit connected to the down lock that pops into view only when the gear is down and properly locked.

This is/was the case with the MiG-15 as well; the colloquial name for it was "the soldier". There was even a kink in one of the wing fences to ensure it was visible.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
Dear China:

I'm perfectly willing to defend similar designs, and even straight up copying poo poo in aviation terms, but even I've got a loving limit. It's not the 1960s anymore, try something loving new for once.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Slo-Tek posted:

That wasn't a bad enough idea. They also re-engined a B-29 with Allison 3420 W-24 engines. Two V-12 1710's sharing a common crankcase. Ruined a couple late-war projects with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_XB-39_Superfortress

"Let's see if we can weld two engines together" is not a concept that has ever worked well in aviation, as Mr Heinkel would relate.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

I'm not sure having created one of history's ugliest aircraft is something to be proud of.

It is, however, the only aircraft ever designed that is capable of expressing ennui

From here

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Duke Chin posted:

Well that's not true at all! That Southwest Airlines Captain proved you could land nose first and survive just fine last year :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwYmMG61VDk

http://online.wsj.com/articles/southwest-airlines-captain-broke-safety-rules-prior-to-2013-accident-in-new-york-1415508923

The captain just wanted to gently caress the F/O's delicate digits.

This triggered my [WOULD YOU LIKE TO NO MORE] gland pretty hard and led me here:
http://theaviationist.com/2009/02/09/c-17-gear-up-landing-in-bagram-images/

Man oh man seeing a C-17 all roughed up like that is just saaaaaaaad.

I'm going to guess this was a write-off? Baugher doesn't mention it, but I would imagine this would cost a fortune to repair, and not being in a place with lots of nice spiffy MRO facilities doesn't help.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Colonial Air Force posted:

No idea if it was ever used, but searching around led me to this:

This has to be a case of "find out if we can do this, and what do you mean "when would we need to do this""

Unless it's a litter, in which case it's just MASH 2.0

Wikipedia posted:

Bomber crew members sometimes preferred to urinate into bottles or defecate into cardboard boxes, which were then thrown from the aircraft.

Somewhere, there must have been a German farmer who wondered where the hell that came from all those years ago. I wonder if he ever found out.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Inacio posted:

Only barely AI related but I wanted to share somewhere?

Today I learned that seatbelt extenders are a thing and have the airport's code on them

"What's the best airport code" is a fun game.

I'm partial to KLIT, the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport. Which they renamed as such fully knowing it was coded KLIT. Of course, there's also Sioux Gateway (SUX).

Actually, just as far as names go, I have Wa (DGLW) and Wawa (CYXZ) on my to-visit list, mostly because, well, wouldn't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

The Aviationist posted:

As reported by Russian media outlets, in an interview with Ekho Moskvy radio station, Vladislav Goncharenko, deputy head of the military aviation programmes department at UAC (the a Russian holding which encompasses Irkut, Mikoyan, Sukhoi, Ilyushin, Tupolev, Beriev and Yakovlev), Moscow has surpassed the U.S. in the number of produced combat aircraft.

Whilst in 2013, UAC companies delivered 68 planes, 100 aircraft, 95 of those are combat planes for the Russian Air Force were produced and delivered in 2014.

Along with the production of more planes, UAC subsidiaries have carried out the modernization of existing aircraft and the development of new weapons systems, Goncharenko said.

Even though we don’t know the corresponding U.S. figures, the number of new aircraft delivered to the front-line units of the Russian Air Force is a clear sign Moscow is strongly supporting its renascent military power.

For sure “quantity” does not always come with “quality” and, most probably, U.S. technology will still be ahead of Russian (or Chinese) one for several decades. However, it’s impossible to foresee the outcome of a dogfight in which few, advanced American 6th Generation fighter jets, face outnumbering Russian 5th Generation warplanes.

In the meanwhile, PAK-FA T-50 prototypes have been quipped with Himalayas EW defense systems to increase jamming resistance and self-protection capabilities. The delivery of the first production PAK-FA 5th Generation stealth jet to the Air Force is planned for 2016 whereas new type of combat and reconnaissance drone will appear by 2018. 6th Generation aircraft are being studied as well.

By 2020, 55 PAK-FA fighters will be in service with the Russian Air Force.
http://theaviationist.com/2014/12/17/russia-produces-more-combat-planes/

Amazing to think that Russian media might have said something that actually sounds plausible.

Of course, "delivered" in Russia (and the USSR) tends/ed to mean "it can fly, just not for very long, or in the actual role it's intended for just yet, but we had to shove it out of the factory for a cock-waving excercise aimed at the Foolish Capitalists/Homonazis."