Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don't see anything weird about that runway on google maps though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The PAPI is working on that runway right? If they were flying VFR then they must have been flying it by hand there. No US airline flies anything that big under VFR, you sure they didn't say VMC prevailed at the time of the accident?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Depends on the reason for the crash and if they were injured. The pilots that flew the gimli glider for example continued to fly for air canada including on the same plane. The pilots involved with the BA 777 crash flew again but one seems to have left flying due to PTSD.

I can't think of any major fuckups by flight crews that left them alive and able to conceivably fly again off the top of my head.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

smackfu posted:

The story of the BA 777 pilot is
confusing. Like he was suspended,
then took a voluntary layoff, then wrote a book critical of BA, then... was rehired?

I think it goes something like he was on paid leave for a while following the wreck for obvious reasons, then when he returned to duty he didn't want to do it due to PTSD flashbacks and took a voluntary layoff. He then wrote a book about how terrible BA's treatment of the situation (see PTSD) but eventually wanted to fly again and asked to go back (insert therapy or whatever in the intervening time).

I think that's what they're trying to say.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In the left seat though?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alright no more listening to CNN is a good idea for this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alereon posted:

There is also a reason that commercial pilots (or at least passenger transport) are generally required to use navigational aids like the glide slope if they're available. While it's not impossible to safely complete a flight without them, it is less safe. I'm also mystified at the low level of importance people are placing on the Pilot Flying's level of familiarity with the aircraft. He certainly SHOULD have been able to land safely, but the low familiarity means every step of the approach was harder and took longer than it otherwise would have, and if you don't think that was a major factor in this accident then I don't know what to tell you.

Remember that "stupid pilot did a stupid thing" is never an acceptable explanation for an accident, the system should be as resist as possible to single failures, especially human ones. In this particular case, the Pilot Monitoring should have been calling for a go around long before the approach was unrecoverable. Even Air France 447, a great example of lovely airmanship bringing down an airplane, is more correctly understood as a flight control system design defect as it trained pilots not to fly the aircraft (rather operating the flight control system in normal law).

Bonus Edit: Even Pinnacle Airlines Flight 3701, which was an egregious case of unprofessional behavior, may not have occurred if the pilots had received adequate training in the high-altitude performance of their aircraft so they knew exactly how stupidly dangerous what they were about to attempt is. In short, you can call out the pilots for doing something stupid, but you need to call out their airline for not making sure they knew how stupid it was.

The pilots of Pinnacle 3701 didn't know how airplanes worked full stop.

What exactly are you saying should be the standard for a VFR approach? Should all aircraft have a HUD with a TVI and a giant 3 degree line like a 787? This aircrew probably would have flown that TVI indicator right into the loving seawall.

edit: by tvi I meant total velocity vector indicator but what is it actually called on a Boeing?

edit2: flight path indicator

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 8, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

PURR UP! PURR UP!

Racism aside that might be why they stalled.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

If you watch the video, the nose seems like it's angled up more than I've usually seen. It was one of the first things I noticed, and I'm assuming with idle throttles, it's why the plane stalled.

The plane being at too high of a pitch compared to the flight path is the definition of a stall.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Don't sink" is for departures though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linedance posted:

Dammit, I went all that way for such a corny joke!

Maybe they misunderstood sink rate and turned off their brains? :downsrim:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

It was a single Otter. They're cool planes. If you live in Seattle you'll see one about every 10 minutes doing a scenic tour.

Those aren't all otters, theres some cessnas too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

:v:

Seriously: http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=lUUU-C-7o98

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

NTSB quote of the day: "The airplane was airborne prior to its impact with the ground".

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20130709/few-new-details-emerge-soldotna-plane-crash-investigation

Well, it was a sea plane, it normally impacts the water not the ground.

edit: welp all otters aren't float planes, there goes that idea

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mobius1B7R posted:

Raked wingtips would extend the wingspan out past normal limits for clearance at airports. They would have to use different gates to avoid any conflict with aircraft next to them. The Navy doesn't have to worry about gate space so raked wingtips it is.

Also, raked wingtips are inefficient for short trips so intercontinental and aircraft that will loiter for forever will want them while shorter ranged 737 variants will not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Is this because short range flights spend a larger portion climbing and descending than long ranged flights?

Yes. Its a trade off between climb performance (winglets) and drag (raked wingtips).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

:ssh: it's probably more capable of it than a human pilot would be...

I wonder how much the LSO is controlling that thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

He's not. X-47 is autonomous-ish, the human is just in the loop to tell it what to do, the plane more or less flies itself as far as direct control inputs and the like. It's not like Preds/Reapers where the human is hand flying the thing the whole time (or at least when the autopilot-ish function isn't engaged).

The LSO is in charge of the deck though, hes the one that is controlling the landing of the manned air craft, telling them to add/decrease power and when to go around. I'm wondering if this drone can be controlled in the same tight manner and if its not how they could possibly integrate that with carrier ops.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah but what about wave offs due to conditions on the boat and not the plane?

We're possibly over thinking a proof of concept though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ the meatball board or whatever it's called has a bunch of red lights for the purpose. Could detect that I suppose.

Well, what do they do with the current UAVs?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Had no idea 747s had a thrust to weight ratio above one! :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:drat:

I'd say too soon but I laughed at a 777 Vref joke on irc earlier so...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess we cursed it!

Previa_fun posted:

Squeeze 4 of the biggest GE90s onto an empty 74 and it's drat close. :v:

See but theres so many cool looking but plausible things that they could do with 74s in movies. Like say, a JATO assisted take off, a tactical descent while dropping flares, etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BBC posted:

An Ethiopian Airlines Dreamliner named the Queen of Sheba - the same plane involved in the Heathrow incident - flew from Addis Ababa to Nairobi on the first commercial flight since the grounding.

So this one had the fix and still burst into flames?! jfc Boeing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ehnus posted:

Of course, you just drill out the rivets-oh... that's going to suck to fix.

I like how the livery is so you know that every angle of it will make sure to frame the "Boeing 787" label.

So how are composite airliners put together?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like the burn marks stop before the edge there so thats good I guess?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

THE RED MENACE posted:

There's also a battery in the aft (adjacent to the galley) for the APU.

It isn't in this Boeing document though? http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/arff/arff787.pdf

(page 7)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

THE RED MENACE posted:

But there's a picture of an aft APU battery in the galley? There's no way it caused that fire though.

Edit: wait is that at passenger level or below deck?

Double edit: of course its below deck I'm an idiot

But the aft battery bay is between doors 2 and 3 and the fire was like right above door 4?

The burn marks are where the FA rest area is...

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Confirming is such a weird term to use here, it makes it look like the news called and said "are these comedy names the actual names of the pilots?" and he said "yup".

The intern probably thought it was a prank call from his frat brothers or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

Yeah, I was just going to say, $20k for the aircraft, then $20k for annual inspection, $60k for engines, $20k for props, $10-20k for new deice boots (they'll be totally shot likely), probably $15k for paint and $15k for interior (because tan, brown and orange on tan is just awful, plus it's probably totally worn out), then $whatever for however modern you want the panel - could be as high as $250k if you go nuts with the Garmin catalog.

Though even $250k isn't bad for a twin, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Or you could take that $350k and buy a brand new Cessna 172! :haw:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

a large part of that trust comes from the fact that they never release or confirm names of anyone involved in an accident or ever release CVR audio from aircraft accidents.

Might want to tell them to take this offline then because you can get CVR transcripts, recordings and extensive crew biographies in every incident docket.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Probably. I've done similar things with F-16s.

Do you score using the HUD film?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aargh posted:

There was a story a few years ago of an Australian F111 commander getting into trouble running training missions on his ex girlfriend's house.

"Why are we supposed to hit this waypoint at exactly M1.0 over a residential neighborhood at sea level?!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

I've been told that B2's like to do practice bombing runs on the St. Louis arch.

Isn't that kind of cheating?

Perhaps they should also use the Boeing Everett plant for practice?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The only thing that could be more ironic would be if the FDR somehow destroyed a plane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In response Delta will probably scrounge up some more gas guzzling DC-9-50s. Because, wtf is going on at Delta.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Polymerized Cum posted:

AirTran is meh but you will enjoy the 717. Smooth and quiet.

So no hydraulic APU or whatever the gently caress it is under the over wing exit rows?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

There's at least one still flying around in the US, although I have no idea how the owners can afford to keep running it. Since even the later Jetstar models are running 1970's vintage engines, they'll typically burn through a bit more than twice as much fuel for a given flight as a modern Learjet, and I'm sure parts are getting to be pretty expensive as well.

Due to a quirk in how Lockheed designed the pressurization system in the Jetstar, it also requires at least one engine to remain at a pretty high power setting through descent, since the engines can't produce enough bleed air to keep the cabin pressurized at idle.

Is that why it has a speed brake?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sellouts posted:

Did they really deploy the slides? Seems more dangerous than the landing.

Well, I'd prefer the slides to waiting for them to find an air stairs to drive to an active runway.