Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If we're still talking Westjet, the entire flight is one class, so that wouldn't be a concern for them at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

So, now that you've done WWI, how about the interwar years?

Not for long. Westjet is in the process of launching a premium economy product as we speak.

Aw, those rat fucks! Might as well start cross-shopping with Air Canada. At least AC has unions.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

a real world Ace Combat loadout

I got reminded about this thing the last time I made a crack about ridiculous loadouts

The YAL-1 laser and the 747 it's wearing. Infinite missiles aside, I don't think you get more Ace Combat than a plane where its nose opens up and lasers pour out.

e: that's funny there was supposed to be an image here

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 27, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If we're gonna be wishing, I'd rather Boeing build us some F-23s instead. *~so pretty~*

e: I did mean Northrop, I knew that's who did the YF-23 but for some reason I thought they'd merged with Boeing.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Everyone has probably heard this, but at the beginning of the air war over Germany the US was losing a lot of B-17s to enemy flak and fighters. Many B-17's would come home shot up and the prevailing thought was to add more defensive guns and armour the areas that they were commonly taking damage. An engineer did the exact opposite and armoured the areas that were not taking damage on the B-17s returning, his reasoning being that places that took damage and allowed the aircraft to return were not an issue with its survivability.

That's always been one of my favourite engineering stories, and the point it makes is a good one, but at best it's unattributable. (Relevant bit at the bottom)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bull puckey, there's no false canopy on the bottom :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kilonum posted:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with first stage of a cruise missilebomber crews being younger than the planes they are flying.

The Air Force posted:

The B-52’s long and rich heritage is illustrated by stories of families who have up to three generations of Airmen who worked on the B-52, such as 1st Lt. Daniel Welch, a B-52 co-pilot at Minot. Welch is a third-generation crew member on the airframe. According to Welch, his grandfather flew every B-52 model and commanded Welch’s current squadron at Minot, the 23rd Bomb Squadron. Welch’s father was also a B-52 crew member during his time in the Air Force.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

front wing flexing posted:

What's the first expression of Soviet engineering then?

A shoebox that kills Germans

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A team from University of Toronto have won the Igor Sikorsky Human Powered Helicopter competition, which includes a $250,000 prize. How'd they do it? With a monstrous yet extremely lightweight quadrotor powered by a dude on the better part of a bicycle frame. How monstrous are we talking? The quadrotor takes up a great deal of an indor soccer park, and the blade speed seems to be on the order of about 10 rpm.

The team website. Great job, folks! Now let's see you flip it through a moving window frame like the GRASP lab manhacks!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoesNotCompute posted:

I'm 5'6" so room isn't too bad, I'd rather space out looking at the tops of clouds than down an aisle, but yeah the bathroom thing I didn't really consider. 18.5 hours is a lot of pee.

I've been doing a fair amount of trips to Toronto and back the past couple years, window seat every time, and I generally end up holding it. I don't know why I'm shy about kicking people out of their seats to take a leak, everyone does it all the time in a movie theater. But the nice thing about the window to me isn't the view so much as I have a wall to lean up against when I sleep.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that anyone hold it for that long, just that it's how I deal on a much shorter flight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bennyfactor posted:

No, man, it's still cool.

Shouldn't that be painted on a Viper? :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

Does anyone have the "I'd rather fly the _____" song with lyrics like the Viper flying up its own rear end in a top hat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335GdTqtyLs

I miss being able to find "Has Anybody Seen My Wingman". Fortunately I've got it memorized!

adagio, like an Ivy League frat chorus
Haaas anybody seen my wingman?
I'm sure he's in a hell of a fix!
I have scanned all through the skies
but I needn't use my eyes
Cause that fucker always flies
At my dead siiix!

allegro
So, him! Him! gently caress him!
What a way to go
But at least he won't be jammin' up the fuckin' radio!
Is he blind or is he split?
I don't give a fuckin' poo poo
It's all the more glory for meeee!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Concorde is the McLaren F1- instantly recognized, but no one really wants to replicate it again either.

Then what was the Tu-144? :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slo-Tek posted:

Born Too Late:

I like to think on how that might have looked as a squadron of Arrows.

e: the answer is "high holy poo poo don't gently caress with the Canucks"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Oh, I know. I was suggesting that the size of it reminded me of a proper spaceship. For some stupid reason I always assumed the shuttle was more the size of a Lancer or something.

Bone, not Mitsubishi I hope?

But yeah the Shuttle launched Hubble, and Hubble was roughly the size of a bus.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
English Electric Lightning interceptors.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Is there anyone here with a quick reference to all of Nebakenezzer's dirigible effortposts? They're loving amazing.

If you click the ? button under his name next to one of his posts, you get taken to all of his posts in the thread.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ehnus posted:

I clonestamped the "Rouge" wordmark out, this is what they normally look like:

http://i.imgur.com/PZDsxQN.jpg

Ohh, so that's who Rouge Squadron are! I've been reading about them on the internet for like forever

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Look at the tail and canopy. Either the person that did that drawing has seen an A-10 and wanted to imply that Republic was full of Nazis, or it's accurate to the German design, And Republic really was full of Nazis.

:tinfoil:

Was Northrop full of Nazis as well? Because the YA-9 had a similar cockpit configuration, and engines in the wing root to boot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

STOVL USMC version in 3... 2... 1...

USMC, hell, build it for X-Com (or the X-Men)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Plus even if you could get it into the cockpit in a drinkable state, from what MrChips described the Blinder's handling to be like, you'd want to be as sober as a whole bench of judges if you were in the air and wanted to ever get back to the ground in one piece.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hobbes I'm pretty sure the jokes about killing rabbits and never having sons are about being microwaved, not cell damage from ionizing radiation.

e: Other people have already explained why RF is unlikely to cause those sorts of damages, because that's what everyone else was talking about.

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 26, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really do love the idea of the Su-34. A jet fighter with a kitchen, a can and a place to lie down.

"Vanya, how am I supposed to eat my shchi with all of this rolling?"
"You'd prefer to eat shchi off the nose of a SAM?!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Polymerized Cum posted:

Is anyone interested in a little info on the various light utility helicopters you see buzzing around overhead, and my prejudices thereof?

I didn't know I wanted to learn about weirdo Russki bombers or the German zeppelin programme until MrChips and Nebuchadnezzar started posting. So, yes more please.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The CIA have an A-12 in their car park - https://goo.gl/maps/YvKtl

That's pretty awesome.

I was hoping you meant "sitting on the landing gear and taking up sixteen stalls" but that's still pretty neat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just figured out that "engine covers" meant the plugs in the intakes and not the fairings on the nacelles.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

And yeah, Ike would kneecap every SecDef we've had since the Berlin Wall fell.

Why, what was his deal? (I know he was a general and the president after Truman, and his election campaign had some buttons, but that's about it)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

"Handle like eggs"

Stand it on end at the vernal equinox? :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

I knew someday my work on miniature life preservers that fit inside a 30mm cannon shell would pay off

I see you've studied at the Maude Flanders Memorial School of Weapon Design

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

At least a Pred has a pilot in the loop if it's in the pattern...I've been told some stories about the ATC conversations that have resulted when the Global Hawk has diverted on short notice into a location...

:mil101:: Chicken 01 has declared an IFE and is diverting into your airfield, ETA 30 mins, request you clear the pattern
:v:: No Chicken, no land here, too busy, no permission
:mil101:: I don't think you understand...that plane IS going to land at your airfield in 29 minutes, clear airspace or otherwise. Request you clear the pattern.

Reminds me of the old "This is a lighthouse" joke.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

Things like this are what happen when you let the services design their own stuff! :eng101:

Or could just be the Navy :eng99:

I don't think this is what Colin Chapman meant by "add lightness"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Want to be one of the last people to fly in a Lancaster - across the Atlantic? It'll cost you, reserve bid is 40 large: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/got-40k-you-could-cross-the-atlantic-in-a-lancaster-bomber-1.2630060

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

It's job was to carry balls. :pervert:

I didn't know SKF was Swedish. I guess it makes sense, WWII Britain buying balls from Svenska Kullagerfabriken and not Fischers Aktien-Gesellschaft; because all the Fischers Aktien-Gesellschaft balls would have been German.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or cooked a pot of borscht? Or lied down for a snooze?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Guys Canada can't buy black planes, how are they supposed to paint a cockpit on the bottom?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's the occasional episode that focuses on saves and incidents where not everybody died - Sully, the Gimli Glider, the one with Stan Rogers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, neat. I was wondering what the flags on Edmonton's mast signified; apparently those are its radio callsign.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Generation Internet posted:

Why should Quebec care about the Rafale? It's a French plane that's produced in France, it's no different to them than an American plane made in the U.S. or a Swedish plane made in Sweden. I'm sure it's a fine airplane that we'd be better off buying than the F-35, but the suggestion that it would have anything to do with an imaginary Quebec-France cultural connection is laughable.

Besides,the clear choice is to throw all our resources behind the 'Beaverworks' cargo-cult.

Don't have to repaint the plane to have signage primarily en francais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Angles on the stabilizers and canards that recall stealthy planes, and then that dogtooth on the wing. poo poo's Ace Combat as anything.