Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Postal posted:

This is the soft-kill jammer and targeting radar/EO suite used at Gatwick. This system has an optional hard-kill laser module which the UK MoD didn't buy

What pissant government has the option to buy a laser cannon and doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

One thing I could never figure out was my dad’s cousin flew CF-104s and is 6’3”, how is that even possible.

Amazingly he never had to eject from one either

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Some modern ejection seats can handle inversion or low altitude, though from I understand not both.
I'm guessing there's a certain amount of time, and therefore altitude, required for an inverted ejection to get clear of the plane, release the chute, and slow to a survivable impact speed, and without that altitude an ejection seat is just a device for punching pilot-shaped holes in the landscape

slightly sooner than staying aboard the crashing aircraft

(Consider that cats need at least 12" of fall distance to right themselves so they can land on their feet)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I remember reading the same, but the gubbermint put the kibosh on it.

There were a fair number of interested private buyers when they were retired, but the process of de-milling the A+ and D models (which still would've left them with parts for the Iranians) would've been way more costly than just chopping them up. As I recall, some scrapyard in Hampton Roads with the gear necessary to munch up titanium got a really sweet no-bid contract to mulch the east coast Turkeys.

The real life equivalent of that old "gently caress your canoe" joke

(An Englishman, a Frenchman and an American are captured by tribespeople, who say the penalty for trespassing is that the interlopers may die by a method of their choosing, and then their skin will be turned into a canoe. Englishman asks for a pistol, "Long live the queen", blappo to the head. Frenchman asks for a rope, ties it to the nearest tree, puts his head through the noose, "Vive la France!". American asks for a fork, starts stabbing himself everywhere. Horrified, the chief asks, "what are you doing?!" "What am I doing? gently caress your canoe!")

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

This varies greatly based on your location.

Shell and Husky have 91 octane ethanol-free across Canada (except Husky in SK apparently)

Pretty convenient for my 20 year old bike

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

buttcrackmenace posted:

does anyone have links to the videos of our friend Jerry in CA? I have been attempting to describe them to a pilot buddy of mine, but words are not sufficient.

"How you used to land at Meigs Field in Microsoft Flight Simulator 3.0"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Because I don't hang around planes up close, is the support strut and the bracket joining it to the wing supposed to look hosed up and cracky like that?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

it's the way i land when i've been shot up by a Bf-109 and I'm missing a horizontal stabilizer and my entire rudder and all the ailerons on one wing

I've made the joke about Meigs field as well, but only because it's the more relatable comparison. When really, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat is where I learned to do Jerry landings, since the mission ended once you were stopped and vaguely upright, somewhere in the general vicinity of the runway. Even if there were Messerschmidts or MiGs overhead.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched 6 Underground last night and I thought it was pretty cool how Not-Turkmenistan had fighter jets that could be F-16s in closeups and then Gripens in the very next shot when they're dropping sarin gas bombs and strafing civilians

(It's a dire fuckin movie, please don't watch 6 Underground)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So it turns out somebody did save blueprints to the Avro Arrow.

For maximum irony, they're on display at the University of Saskatchewan's Diefenbaker Canada Centre.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Real Amethyst posted:

I initially read this as gorillas and was like holy poo poo.

I've been careful to make that distinction ever since Captain Ron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyG0G96UB6k

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jetpack Guy spotted again near LAX at around 6000 feet

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/us/jetpack-guy-back-lax-trnd/index.html

My fervent hope is that he's spending his time on the ground decking Nazis, because he really is The Rocketeer

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rascar Capac posted:

The dullest option is that someone attached a dummy to a drone.

TBH I feel like "dummy" is a pretty good description for anyone getting 30 yards away from a flying airliner, even were they an actual human and Nazi puncher

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a bit off to the side, but there is such a thing as naturally-occuring gears

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/this-insect-has-the-only-mechanical-gears-ever-found-in-nature-6480908/

Of course, there's only one example we know about.

(Also kinda cursed that the first examples I found when I searched for this were either from the JWs or Answers In Genesis. A God that would invent biological gears and only use them on one crappy little bug isn't a designer worthy of our praise, fellas.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

And here I thought they were supposed to be good in a dogfight

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

V tail 747 please

Jumbonanza

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LibCrusher posted:

Who are you lunatics leaving the airport during a goddamn layover

Bourdain had an entire TV show about that

(of course his "layovers" were like 12h)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"How did you hit that, I warned you like three times!"

"Frank, all you kept saying was 'Bear left'."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

karoshi posted:

Inflatable plane, what could possibly go wrong?

Use case, errr?? You're downed behind enemy lines and your buddy drops you an inflatable plane for your daring escape. Yeah, sure, that'll do it.

It's a shame it's Goodyear and not Michelin, "Un Avion Gonflable" would be a dece username

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

remember when Three Olives saw a picture of trump's plane and saw the RR logos on the engines and posted "wow I can't believe Trump is such a narcissist that he'd try to pretend his plane is a Rolls-Royce"

Thing is, if I didn't know about Rolls-Royce's aeronautical history, I 100% would believe Trump is a big enough narcissist to do that

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

*nuh uh at an audi engineer

Hey, if you're gonna nuh uh at people who worked with Rutan, why stop there

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

This will be a match made in heaven.

It’s like how every Acme gadget works when used by the road runner.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

This is not how the treadmill problem is meant to be approached

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wzm posted:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/164812 this pilot had 26,000 hours, a first class medical, and he crashed with a bottlehandle of whiskey in the cockpit and a .252 BAC doing aerobatics in a 250mph twin over his neighborhood.

Jesus

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Or maybe Kawasaki

F-15s now only come in lime green

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the giant AGM in the center.

AGM? I think you'll find Starfighters are surface-launched

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

you know, like that fish that can see through its own head

Barreleye

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

B-17 is another big one.

hhhhow much farther down than the retracted gear does the belly turret go?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

Edit: Balls 8 aka Mothership is on the public site of the gate at Edwards AFB. It has "kill" decals for all the things it dropped. The gate planes along with the Skunkworks air park is a good day trip if you are in LA. There is a NASA museumon base that I've heard is good, but I've had the timing work out to go.

I recognized the lifting bodies, but I had to look up what that Ace Combat-looking thing from the third photo was. Apparently it's the Rockwell HiMAT, a remotely piloted testbed to try out fun poo poo for future dogfighters, like canards, winglets and full fly-by-wire control.

So, still pretty Ace Combat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm beginning to think Robb Report is advocating for the deaths of billionaires and I am *down* with that: https://robbreport.com/motors/aviation/electric-stol-aircrafts-landing-1234603082/amp/

Insert plug in egg rear end

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

SU-34s > F-35

When will Congress address the Onboard Toilet Gap?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ausgezeichnet posted:

Hey. There are three or four of us who aren't chud-fucks.

Major Kong seems pretty dece too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

St_Ides posted:

I thanked the tower for letting me use their runway. "it's really short, but boy is it wide!"

:laffo:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey PT6A, any idea why the east-west runway at YYC has been so busy? My dad was helping me do some work at my place last week, and no sooner did I tell him that we were usually pretty quiet in terms of air traffic, than there was just a fuckin parade of takeoffs. It was like that scene in the Blues Brothers in Dan Aykroyd's apartment where the train goes by every time the shot changes. Didn't seem particularly windy either, which usually seems to be why they start using that one instead of the north/south runways.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

NightGyr posted:

How much force can you put through the refueling boom to perform a tow?

Tractor boom

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xakura posted:

The tunnel/big space between the engines could enclosed in a partial redesign.

That's where the arms and head go

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry if I'm just finding out about this now and y'all knew months ago, NASA and Lockmart collaborating on a proper X-plane:

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/X59/

Monitor instead of a windscreen because of the schnozz

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

vessbot posted:

Needed to be done into a Y-Wing instead, but cool

I'm guessing it's not an X-wing because the roles are similar, but because the design elements are, like the straight wings and exposed, tubular engines

Like if I was gonna do an A-Wing I wouldn't use a Viper or an F-106, I'd use a wedge of Gouda

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just watched a couple videos of B-1s doing (aileron?) rolls. Anyone know what the largest aircraft to pull off a roll is? (It's not the 707 prototype, which is smaller in both dimension and weight. Though Wikipedia does say it was put through barrel rolls, not just aileron rolls.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mouseover text:
Business is slow so he lets Todd jack off in his plane.