Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Is there a thread for pilot chat rather than just general airplane chat? I've just started flying lessons and am wondering if there's a megathread for GA gear like headsets and poo poo, and maybe some tips for not flying into the ground (or into other planes) :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

They'll just wait for a really strong headwind

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I apologize for the Facebook link.

The sound of money leaping out of a guy's wallet:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10206548294656217&id=1536528996&_rdr

Are props departing from the propshaft (or blades from the hub) rare enough that people feel comfortable standing beside the runway as a low wing twin prop makes a belly landing?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

fordan posted:

So does this mean the pilot can log both rotor and fixed wing PIC time?

Do V-22 pilots?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I wish the news would stop harping on the depression aspect and further stigmatising the condition. Committing mass murder isn't a symptom of depression or even manic depression.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

EightBit posted:

I wonder what it's like to have your hands on the controls and suddenly getting shot out of the aircraft.

Yeah does the system give any sort of warning to the pilot? i assume the legs and helmet would have auto restraints but how would it avoid severing arms if theres no warning

e: suppose this might be avoided with a canopy separation but at zero airspeed can the canopy reliably separate versus the seat just going through??

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 6, 2015

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

drunkill posted:

The shooting down of Gary Powers and his U2 is a plot point for Spielbergs new movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2x3r1m2I4

Looks a bit too CGI-y but what can you do?

Gonna watch this just for mark rylance

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/mar/15/mark-rylance-wolf-hall-interview-the-gunman

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Capt. Morgan posted:

"An F-5N Tiger II, belonging to U.S. Marine Corps Fighter Training Squadron 401 (VMFT-401), approaches Marine Corps Air Station Yuma for a landing, flying over a busy 32nd Street in the process. The squardon, known as the "Snipers", is the only adversary squadron in the Marine Corps. Referred to as "aggressors," the squadron serves as the enemy in air-to-air combat situations"

holy poo poo its so rare to see pictures of mig-28s. did they switch from black to this blue scheme when they stop being the soviet union?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Designers won't be content until we're flying in cattle cars at this rate.

more like designers loving hate it but airlines wouldn't pay their employers and their employers wouldn't pay them otherwise

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

e: wrong thread

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

hahahahahahahaha.

on one hand, WW2 was arguably worse for lots of pilots. Some glider time and bang you're in the seat of a me109 or hurricane/spitfire

on the other hand holy poo poo loving being given a jet, bombs and missiles with no training lmao. he didn't mention learning or practicing how to bomb??

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Never understood the rush to board. I've always waited till pretty much everyone's in before going to the counter. Do people really enjoy sitting in a metal tube an extra 15 minutes that much?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

nah, they enjoy the overhead space.

Eh I bring a samsonite roller and a messenger bag as carry on and have never not been able to get the roller to fit (about ~6 legs a year for the past few years). I live in a small country so pretty much every flight is international though. Are domestic flights just a clusterfuck of people bringing their whole wardrobes as carry on or are the domestic seating configurations so much denser that seat/bin ratio is exponentially greater?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Does the airline you fly on charge for bags?

gently caress no there would be a shitstorm if they did. do major airlines like AA and united actually do that??

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Every airline in the US (except Southwest) charges for checked bags, and the fee is usually in the $25 range for the first bag, going up to around $200 for multiple bags. Quite a few airlines allow certain frequent flyers or people who use the airline branded credit card to check a bag for free, so not everyone pays to check bags.

Normally, one carry-on bag is allowed per passenger without a fee, although a few cheapskate airlines (Allegiant, Spirit, and Frontier) charge anywhere from $15-50 for that carry-on, depending on whether you pay the fee ahead of time or at the airport.

yeah I'm familiar with the practice, I've paid to check in on ryanair and other budget airlines in australia/asia but up till now I thought only the budget airlines did it to minimise turnaround time. I guess if everyone does it then you might as well do it too and make a quick buck off people who are willing pay to check in (plus more hold space for bulk cargo/mail?). heres to hoping it doesn't spread to the rest of the world :pray:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Linedance posted:

You know what we haven't had in a while?
:siren:dronechat:siren:

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=ac3_1435080329

god drat it

http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/that-video-of-a-drone-striking-a-plane-wing-is-totally-1713451709

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Linedance posted:

Haha thanks for doing the due diligence!
Nothing to see here folks :downs:

I was actually hoping it was real because that scenario is all too plausible and it'll take footage like that before we can muster the public outrage necessary to start prosecuting idiots who can't see anything wrong (or perhaps do, and think its hilarious) with flying their dji phantoms in the vicinity of an aerodrome

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

The nozzle of the F16 engine is sitting next to someones RV.
https://twitter.com/WCBD/status/618442275996233729

that firelady :captainpop:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

And that's what I'm basing my post off of: an explosion most likely won't just take out a window in a highly pressurized environment.

so basically you wouldn't need a shaped charge and you definitely wouldn't need to place it on the window for an air marshal to shoot you before you could complete your deed

the whole scenario is dumb

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

what happens now? I don't suppose you have to disassemble the helicopters to clean the poo poo up?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

that weird tricycle gear thing where only the nose wheel retracted looks weird as gently caress. i'd be hunting for the tailwheel if i saw that in cruise configuration

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

wdarkk posted:

What if you need to look left?

prob a periscope

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

787 engines are special. According to airliners.net

I wonder how much engineering time went into RR figuring out where to put their decal.

surely that bit about airflow just affects fuel economy and airlines can choose to sacrifice that?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

after so many high profile airshow crashes into groups of people i assumed theyd stop planning stunts over groups of people people

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkgHB5bgmc

electric powered scale model 3d printed GEnx

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Do the pilots get a massive rear end reaming if they completely miss the line and let the engine hit the water

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

wonder how many injuries were from carry ons coming down the slides into the back of peoples heads

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Humbug posted:

The awesome WW2 documentary "The Secret War" has a section on that, including an interview with head test pilot Hanna Reich. Apparently it didn't really work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN-Yv8Yfc7E

Everyone should watch the secret war if they haven't already. Its all on youtube. Prof R.V Jones is too cool.

I just realised.. I've never seen video interviews of literal nazis before, much less in colour :monocle:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

That one?

It's a Mirage III. More precisely, a Mirage IIIO, which means it once flew in the RAAF. There's not much differences between the Mirage III and the Mirage 5, which is funny because the Mirage IV is a completely different beast.

is it just the perspective or is the mirage really tiny

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

freelop posted:

I've never been able to understand the logic of the Japanese suicide weapons. Even taking into account the "honourable death" thing it seems to use up far more resources than firing a tonne of regular ordinance.
According to the plaque they were highly innacurate too

that's assuming you have more industrial resources than men willing to die

I suppose to them it made more sense to give each pilot a lovely plane to happily fly into a target than to build complex, more advanced planes and have the pilots draw a lottery to determine who gets to fly it (and immediately shot down, because all their experienced pilots were already dead)

all of this, of course, could have been avoided if the japanese ministers and generals had realised how unrealistic winning a long term war against industrial and naval powers would be, given how sources of oil, ore, and rubber are separated by literal seas from the japanese mainland

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

poor zeros. all they had to do was yank them from side to side until an engine inevitably flamed out and caused a flat spin

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Lol at all the guys thinking conventional forces will prevent a war with china.

There is a line of reasoning that suggests the more advanced/capable american forces are the more likely an actual war will happen. Because both sides possess strategic nuclear weapons and a large body of literature has been written by game theorists and nuclear strategists.

If china attacked a united states (or its interests) with, at the extreme, zero conventional fighting capability coupled with its existing treaty obligations, then it is an easy sell to the american public, and the world, that an existential threat to the united states, and a world order that only exists in its current form because of american hegemony, and the use of strategic nuclear weapons is justified.

If china attacks a united states with a force that is exceedingly capable of fighting or winning a limited war, even one approaching total war, then the nuclear option is a tough sell. The american public and the world would certainly never allow the united states to start a global nuclear war over, say, an invasion of taiwan. Not when the chinese have, say, 2 to 4 aircraft carriers, not with america's present force projection ability.

The american government knows this, and more importantly the chinese know it too. Its how nuclear deterrence works.

Ever since the advent of ICBMs SLBMs the raison d'etre for superpowers possessing massive convention warfighting capability as a way to prevent wars between begun to evaporate. During the cold war their biggest contributions were allowing quagmires like vietnam and afghanistan to happen. When the cold war ended, it vanished completely.

The only reason the armed forces of the united states continues to exist in its current form is to support the massive industries that the politicians and the american public who elect them have grown addicted to.

No country can rely solely on nuclear weapons for self defence, but lol if you think that poo poo like the f35s and b3 bomber programs exist for any other reason than the military industry complex and as a way to keep a firm bootheel down on tinpot dictators in exotic locales. They most certainly do not exist to stop a resurgent china, or to prevent another world war. That is the kind of bs used to sell the war on terror, and as a citizen of the 'rest of world' I can tell you with a hundred percent conviction that we did not believe it then, nor do we now.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

quote:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered an official investigation into the crash.

Report finds that airliner was Ukrainian, not Russian

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Ola posted:

Maybe not in WW3, but they would in limited incidents and certainly in this case. I think they radioed to the Libyans where they could find their pilots, but the assholes left them to drown.

Fun fact: the reason he couldn't get "a loving tone" was because the volume button for the Sidewinder seeker was turned down.

why.. why on earth does a seeker head need a volume control..? Presumably your engine's going to be running when you arm a sidewinder and that noise is going to be fairly constant in volume so your seeker tone shouldn't have to be turned down or up??

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Ola posted:

:shrug: Different headsets have different outputs, pilots have different preferences, hardware varies...RWR and other noisemakers have volume knobs too, but perhaps it's a thing of the past.

yeah but even then allowing the pilot to turn it down so the can't hear it at all doesn't seem like good design. And lmao doubly so for the RWR too (*sa-21 surprises pilot by flying up his tailpipe*)

standard.deviant posted:

Because when the seeker malfunctions and stop giving you a tone, you want to be able to shut it off so you can concentrate and land the plane safely.

alright admittedly I've never had to fly a fighter jet in my life and this make sense, except couldn't you just disarm the missile in that situation? would the seeker continuing transmitting a tone with the arm switch off?

I'm just imaging a bunch of volume knobs for the seeker, RWR etc just waiting for a errant swipe of the hand or knee to knock it into the off detent and its hilarious. please correct me if this is not how it works at all

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

MrYenko posted:

The deputy director OF THE AIRLINE has "ruled out mechanical failure or pilot error," less than a week after the crash.

Ya, no politics there, at all. BBC should be ashamed it even printed what the rear end in a top hat said.

kinda hoping it really got blown out of the sky because that would mean karma really is a bitch

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I find this line of thinking abhorrent. Ugh.

ehhh reciprocity is pretty much the only thing keeping world leaders from doing stupid poo poo like giving advanced anti-aircraft capabilities to rebels. karmas as good a runner up as it gets

well okay reciprocity would be the only consideration for a realist, an institutional liberalist would argue norms and values restrain states too but putin wipes his rear end with norms

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

slidebite posted:

If Airlines around most of the world aren't comfortable buying Sukhoi Superjets, I can't imagine them lining up to buy Chinese made aircraft.

On the other hand China has a domestic market that alone could keep a plane maker afloat and that is projected to continue growing for the foreseeable future. Also if the Chinese carriers buy the planes and they don't end up crashing all over the place it might ease the international market's fears.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

CharlesM posted:

So the Atlas plane wasn't supposed to be moving? Or what?

ATC should have delayed the take-off until the Atlas had cleared the other runway, I think

Wonder what happened to the controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

emirates a380