Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
C-17 doing a very short takeoff under full power, with bonus good ol' boy color commentary and one :smug: pilot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQyGd6F2SKI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

An An-12 from "Cavok Air" just overflew Northern Virginia at 26,000 feet and it sounded like it was at 2,000. drat, Russia/Ukraine, you noisy.

Here she is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMceRYeQ6Y&t=10s

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 17, 2017

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dulles has also been an Antonov hub recently - United must suddenly be needing a ton of GEnX for their service depot there because I've seen An-124s in and out of it at least three times in the past 90 days.

One even left past midnight there last night headed for SNN, probably to the chagrin of everyone trying to sleep in a house or hotel nearby.

Probably something like that since the one last night appears to have arrived in Dulles from Paine Field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKEZtdKQnNk&t=398s

Nice!

:smugdon:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 17, 2017

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I was watching some short documentary clip last night about the An-124 since I know little about them and apparently it's typical for the crews to do their own maintenance and repairs when on the ground (and of course keep a huge supply of parts on board for obvious reason) - also I came across the anecdote on airliners.net which I thought was great...

quote:

I actually witnessed an AN-124 crew breaking down a wheel assembly out on the freight ramp in MSP with hand tools and a sledge hammer.
They had the new tire leaning against the cargo ramp.

We stopped and offered to let them use some air tools in one of our hangars, but the language barrier was the problem.

:ussr:

...and drat I can't get over how incredible they sound, they make a 757 with RB211s sound like an Embraer abiding by a noise abatement departure procedure!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

Welcome, friend.

Hey-hey I know you!

No RR bias though, the Pratt & Whitney PW2000 is lovely as well - it's just that my first flight ever almost 10yrs was onboard a 757 with the RR engines.

Also noise abatements can be cool as well, take John Wayne Airport for example. I just wish I could have also departed in one instead of a boring old 737 (still quite an experience though - you really do hear half the cabin simultaneously gasp when they slam back the throttle after taking off at close to full power)...

MrYenko posted:

I watched an An-124 crew do this AND rebuild a brake on the ramp at CHS one night.

Yeah they remind me of a highly competent (and probably extremely well paid) LeMons team on wings...who knew? I half assumed they were a bunch of disgruntled, vodka crazy ex-Soviet military pilots...perhaps they still are but I suppose you can now add 'respectable' onto the pile of adjectives. I also love the ANTONOV DESIGN BUREAU livery, probably gets plenty of strange looks flying into Dulles each time nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=836IhCriTWs

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Jonny Nox posted:

Lol just heard on the news that YYC received over 1700 noise complaints from 1 person last year.

Need to find a way to monetize that salt.

I know the US does but does CA provide government subsidies to provide soundproofing for places in high exposure zones that qualify?

Also, I loved the An-124/Russian flight crew stories + the recommendations - good stuff

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Computer vision is among the constellation of AI-related technologies that have been 5 years from maturity since the mid-80s. Like just the other month I was reading a Daniel Dennett chapter where he takes AIs reliably interpreting visual stimuli for granted in posing a philosophy of mind question and in a footnote goes "We don't have this now but Berkeley is networking 100 Apple IIs together and they're confident they'll have it cracked soon"

American infrastructure is the great white whale of autonomous driving technology.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Mortabis posted:

Yes, but people connect through those hubs on those airlines to other final destinations, which competes with US routes.

e: so, I don't have any evidence that this was motivated behind the scenes by trying to help out US airlines, but regardless of whether it was I bet they're happy about it. And I'm curious if it could violate WTO.

Let them fly American Airlines. :smugdon:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Oh heck yes...you got have my all time favorites in that list, I'm definitely watching those later when I get home. Looking forward to hanging out by the beach and doing the same near KBOS once it warms up a bit since I finally upgraded my phone and can now able to use a tracker app and listen to ATC while snapping and filming. Unfortunately nothing nearly as interesting as what you posted tends to fly in and out of here. Also, looking forward to sleeping with the windows wide open once again and having the early morning parade of red-eye domestic arrivals be my only alarm clock.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Loud as gently caress" generally means an An-124. Russian engines give no fucks about noise restrictions, and they're used quite often to transport GeNX engines to ailing airplanes as few cargo aircraft can carry them.

It might also have been an E-3 with its notoriously loud turbofans.

oh im p sure i just read about An-124 cargo planes hauling Teslas out of SFO recently so that's quite possible...i believe they occasionally have been spotted at Moffett.

also glad i decided to chk itt given the past 24hrs...saw a badass neon lightshow from electrical explosions last night

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Finger Prince posted:

Plus a dunk in water that cold, the body takes an involuntary gasp of air as reflex, except theres no air, just water, so you drown.

always a pleasant thought...even though in reality you probably won't even know what hit you as your CNS goes DEFCON and then you're unconscious and then dead.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson/status/1028142238671429633

If this guy was hypoxic then he had no chance at all even if he wanted to land the plane huh

yeah he sounds like he's under anesthesia during the ATC tape...which explains the candor for someone who was apparently suicidal

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

im dying here

:knope:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

:sadday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cML_n9e5cM