Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Geizkragen posted:

I tried to read the whole thread but skipped that last 2K posts or so...

http://vimeo.com/40935850

Pretty good video for a bunch of C-driving assholes...(I would kill to get that job in Kadena)

I keep watching this video, can't get enough of it. Really interesting terminology in the radio chatter, too. I wonder if there's a glossary somewhere that could help me understand better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's the first video I've seen like that which doesn't edit out the C2 chatter. Also, it's AF, which is slightly different from Navy.

The main ones you'll hear are:

BRAA: bearing/range/altitude/aspect angle.
Hostile: The target has been positively ID'd as an enemy and engagement is authorized in accordance with theater ROE (a hostile doesn't automatically mean you can shoot it, but it has to be hostile to shoot at).
Stacked: Within a group (enemy aircraft within 3 miles of each other), there's a significant altitude difference. I think in this video there's a stack of 42k and 36k. The guy at 42k can shoot a longer range, simply because he's higher. It's a cue for the F-15 guy, who might have his soda-straw radar looking only at the lower dude.
Fox #: different numbers mean different types of missiles. 3 is active radar missile (ie, AMRAAM), 2 is IR (Sidewinder).
Reference: They're turning to that heading.
Pitbull: The AMRAAM's radar is locked onto the target and the target is about to be hosed.

A sample call would be: "Cock 01, group BRAA 270/30/32,000, (hot) hostile." Technically hot is assumed unless another direction (like "drag" or pointing away) was specified so it would be left out.

Thanks, this helps! In addition to that:

- When they get to altitude, one calls out "all players, all players, full time, full time". Does that mean the exercise is on?
- The first BRAA callout calls them "cap, hostile". What does cap mean?
- "Strike group is established at the push point" or something like that?
- "South group, beam south"?

Lots of other chatter was hard to transcribe without knowing what to expect...

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

It survived. There was a recent sat image of it all hosed up in port.

Commence stifled laughter.

Pics please, this sounds hilarious

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only way I could see the movie *not* sucking is if they write it like a 'farewell' piece to manned naval aviation - a bunch of young and middle-aged guys trying to enjoy the last gasps of ~life on the edge~. But no, they'll probably just try to remake "Stealth" with a better cast and cross their fingers that the CGI draws enough people in to double their money.

If they were smart they'd try to make a movie that revolved around Red Flag. Pacific Rim drew in beaucoup bucks because it had international appeal...only issue would be...all the conflict isn't real. Kind of hard to spin drama around "he drank too much the night before and plowed into a mountain."

something something North Korea China Russia

(Red Flag Top Gun would be so awesome. Tie that into a giant brawl over North Korea and you have yourself a blockbuster)

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

Oh, and no real replacement for the Pave Low in the rescue mission (kind of important in a real air war)

Forgive my ignorance, but on paper Osprey has longer range and is almost twice as fast as Pave Low, making it better at SAR, no?

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
A400M crash on test flight may have been caused by software error :(

azazello fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 19, 2015

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Antonov Airlines (which owns the An-225) is Ukrainian, since it's a division of the Antonov design bureau.

Volga-Dnepr owns the other commercial fleet of An-124's, but is a Russian company.

Interestingly, I think both Antonov and Volga-Dnepr operate An-124's into Seattle and Portland fairly often for Boeing, so that has to generate some interesting political issues.

Believe it or not Ukrainians and Russians generally get along very well, it's only Putin and his thugs that would like everyone to think otherwise.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Russian spotted.

I'm part both, actually.

Content: where do I put spaceflight insanity? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BgJEXQkjNQ

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Spaceflight insanity goes in the spaceflight thread!

It's under Ask/Tell? No wonder I never found it. Thanks for the pointer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
http://atwonline.com/air-traffic-management/faa-makes-staffing-policy-changes-after-vegas-controller-found-incapacitated

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/klas/KLAS4-Twr-Both-Nov-08-2018-0730Z.mp3