Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I think the sheer size of the search area for MH370 just sunk in for me. I mean, in theory I appreciated that it was 'really big' but today I saw some maps in a BBC article and realized they're searching in patches of ocean the size of Australia. It's like trying to find one airplane in the whole of the country, except it's probably in little pieces underneath an unimaginable amount of water and also anything visible from the surface is moving.

I'm sure everyone here is already acutely aware of all this, but I think a lot of people in the general public just assume the plane will be found because big things just don't go missing these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm watching Air Disaster on Netflix, and I constantly find myself rooting for the crew to make a miraculous recovery, but I guess if that were the case, it would be Air Close-Calls.

Mayday (which may just be the Canadian version) is pretty great for this, since it doesn't discriminate between the two.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Either Silent Eagles if it's politically advantageous to woo America, or Rafales if the Quebecois are getting uppity. I don't know why anything else is still on the table.

Why should Quebec care about the Rafale? It's a French plane that's produced in France, it's no different to them than an American plane made in the U.S. or a Swedish plane made in Sweden. I'm sure it's a fine airplane that we'd be better off buying than the F-35, but the suggestion that it would have anything to do with an imaginary Quebec-France cultural connection is laughable.

Besides,the clear choice is to throw all our resources behind the 'Beaverworks' cargo-cult.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Vive le Québec libre, that's why. No it doesn't add any jobs to Quebec or anything but it's a token nod to "oh, yes, right, our government may be a bunch of fat old anglos but we totally recognize Quebec's French heritage, look, we have a good relationship with France, we're just as much part of la Francophonie as we are the Commonwealth" etc etc.

I don't think there's any political reason to do that now that the Bloc has self-destructed, though. Except that the Rafale is every possible way a better airplane than the F-35, you know.

Quebec has had no special love for France since the moment the British sent them packing, and even before that they had a distinctly Canadien identity. In the war of 1812 the Americans thought Quebec would welcome them with open arms due to a common struggle against British oppression. They were wrong. During the first world war the conscription crisis was driven by the fact that Quebec felt entirely removed from the conflict and didn't fancy being forced to fight for Britain or France. The idea that they give one single poo poo about France nowadays is just completely wrong.

It's a bit of a derail, but Quebec issues have been more at the front of my mind since I've been living here for the past two years. Anglophone attitudes towards the entire province are far worse than anything Quebec could do themselves.

The Rafale is still the better plane, though.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

The best part is that they claimed it was from an American satellite and the image was leaked to them. Somehow.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Hey Nebakanezzer, you posted this thing a couple weeks ago. What is it?

German He-111 or some post-war Spanish licence built copy.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

:stare:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Ardeem posted:

That's uhm, 3/13 of the worlds flying B-17s in the same place.

It's also 100% of the world's flying B-29s :v:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

A good friend of mine got the chance to fly recently. He suffers from a fairly substantial vision impairment. A mutual friend of ours works at Buzzfeed and arranged for him to test out some high-tech goggles that makes it easier for him to see. This was the result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIRZsoz2G2M

That's awesome, it's always nice to see technology doing good practical work to remind you that not everything is terrible in the world.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I guess it says something positive about the safety of commercial aviation that most of the high-profile accidents over the last year or so have been due to homicidal individuals either on the ground or in the cockpit. What a tragedy, those poor people. My girlfriend was on the verge of angry tears trying to comprehend how someone could do that to so many other people when I told her it was likely a pilot suicide cfit :smith:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Ardeem posted:

Relevant to the interests of this thread, and for bonus points, not set to Sail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uZoTDFs4M

That's amazing, it's like they had go-pros while bailing out in WWII.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I don't think anyone's actually posted the picture of the Asiana plane yet; it looks oddly neat.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Russian jet chills out with a Reaper over Syria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_tSlQUe7oQ

Oh hey there 'lil buddy :3:

Best argument against UAVs is that they can't give anyone the finger in this scenario.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Not trying to troll but can you link to where Geneva talks about SAR? I recall the rules about not killing ejected pilots nor shooting pilots on the ground before they have an opportunity to surrender, but don't recall anything about SAR.

Not directly related, but if you ever watch allied gun-cam rolls from late WWII, there's a whoooole lotta shooting German planes as they try to ditch, landing gear down and everything. Usually they'll come around again and strafe the crew while they try and get away from the wreck. I mean I appreciate the circumstance and everything, but it's still kinda lovely to see stuff like that as it happened.

Which also reminds me of that interview with the pilot who shot up a Nazi in a parachute because he saw the same guy doing it to bailed B-17 crews.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

'External factor' caused Sinai crash http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34697416

:stare:

So, is that code for bomb on the plane? Matches with the break-up and IS claim.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Shampoo posted:

I don't know if a Nazi "Heritage" paint scheme would go over really well.

The V2 scientists were the exact same ones as the later Apollo scientists though? :confused:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

It's too beautiful for this reality.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Man, I know helicopters are already deathtraps, but that's like the wings falling off an airplane. There's just nothing you can do, a mechanical failure decided you will die today.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Can anyone help me ID this plane?

I was killing time in Kingston, Ontario and I saw it passing overhead. It was pretty far away so I didn't even realize it had "SURVEILLANCE" written in giant letters until I zoomed in after the fact, not to mention the weird lumps on it. I need to step up my plane recognition game.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

That was fast. Thanks, I knew I could count on this thread.

quote:

Transport Canada, in close partnership with CIS, keeps a watchful eye over ships transiting waters under Canadian jurisdiction through its National Aerial Surveillance Program. There are two aircraft equipped for ice reconnaissance and oil pollution surveillance missions in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, East Newfoundland waters, the Great Lakes and the Canadian Arctic. The aircraft, a Dash 7 and a Dash-8, are owned and operated by Transport Canada and staffed with CIS personnel. The aircraft fly combined visual and radar reconnaissance missions. The aircraft are equipped with radar remote sensing systems that are able to penetrate cloud cover to obtain a view of the surface below.

Two airplanes for half the country :canada:

No idea what it was doing here, there's certainly no ice and not a ton of shipping, I guess I was just in the right place in the right time because it was going south over Lake Ontario.

e: Here's a closer look from the linked page:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Same, but living in Southern Ontario near Hamilton :hf:

One of the two remaining airworthy Lancasters from earlier this summer. I heard the engines with enough time to run and get my camera, what a sight.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I dunno poo poo about airplanes but it astounds me that there have been multiple cases of dudes stalling commercial airliners without even realizing it

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

"An Etihad Airways Airbus A380 comes in through thick fog to land at Heathrow Airport in west London on December 30, 2016"

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

:jeb:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Oh god. Now I'm going to spend two hours trying to figure out what that was.

"WF826 - Meteor T.7 (modified) - ex-Royal Air Force - Kemble / 5 Maintenance Unit - 08-Jun-75. Modified for use in snow clearing duties at Kemble in 1965."

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

All the aerial shots at the end of Dunkirk were loving stunning, I saw it in IMAX last night and it was easily the highlight of the whole thing for me. That and Nolan's Stuka Simulator 2017.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I think there was some Snowbirdschat a while back, so have my favorite picture that I took of them when they were rehearsing in Kingston a few weeks ago.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I've read that taking a second skill slows down progression of their original skill because XP gets split (100xp to gunnery becomes 50xp each to that and first aid) so not cross-training is a viable strategy.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

This really sucks for everyone getting hosed over but it's interesting to see the real-world execution of a relatively small effort that's totally disrupting vital infrastructure. I feel like I've seen people posting for ages about how vulnerable everything is and this is just underlining that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/boeing-fifth-estate-costs-safety-1.5426571

quote:

Longtime Boeing engineer Cynthia Cole, now retired, traces that conflict back to the company's amalgamation with rival McDonnell Douglas in 1997.

"McDonnell Douglas managers were more cutthroat, and it was all about the bottom line — cut those costs!" she told CBC's The Fifth Estate. "They didn't follow a good capitalist model. They followed greed and putting people in the upper echelon, putting their interest first above the workers and the product and just society as a whole."

The messages showed a concerted effort by employees, under pressure from their managers, to deceive safety regulators from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration in an effort to save money and improve short-term financial performance.

:thunk:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

eggyolk posted:

This got the ol' imagination juices flowing.

This is incredible.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Today I learned that the Tutor doesn't have a zero zero ejection seat, gently caress

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

meltie posted:

Is that the real transcript? :aaa:

It took me a second but it's a highly specific adaptation of the climax of the recent Joker movie.

I have questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: I can't decide if this is a early B-17 or not:

Off the top of my head the Japanese cobbled together a working B-17 from some early models captured in the Philippines and some slightly later ones elsewhere, probably a bit of a Frankenstein.