Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

So... I just realized that I don't really need a flying car, as cool as that'd be. Just a plane big enough to drive a car into. So, what's the smallest transport that can take a Miata? I assume they aren't quite as affordable as ancient 172s but might be something to keep in mind for when my drug business takes off I win a lottery.

A friend of mine used to do something like that in the past, he'd go to airshows with a convertible merc in the back, a sofa and a fridge full of beer. I can't remember which aircraft he used though. I know at one point he did have a b25 and an A26 invader not sure if they'd be big enough. This was quite some time ago though and well before I knew him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Close your drat door when taking pictures if your airplane.

I'm with Jazzahn

Doors / canopy open on a sunny day.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Humbug posted:

At about 2:30, is than a civilian gps attached to the rear view mirror by rubber bands?

looks like a garmin 496 to me.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
As alluded to above, p factor and torque effects have much more effect at slow speeds where you do not have the aerodynamic forces of the wing working well to stabilise. With the high power fighters you do not put full power in quickly from any low speed normal situation as it will torque roll the aircraft. The torque effects only come in under acceleration so once settled in the cruise you don't really need trim to keep the wings level.

The trim hobbesmaster is refering to is rudder trim which is used really for take off as you need it to help keep the aircraft going straight. It depends on engine rotation, CW props need right rudder on power, and anti clockwise engines need left rudder.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Fun.
http://vimeo.com/107448259

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

vessbot posted:

Excellent warbird stuff

Would you have any reccomendations for someone who'd like to get into flying warbirds? The majority of my P1 time is tailwheel, mostly on the husky although recently I've gone in with a friend on a chipmunk and am flying that fairly frequently. I guess the next logical step up would be to a harvard but I can't entertain the thought of purchasing / running one for a good while yet. I'm tempted to try to get some T6 time in the states as I think it'd be great fun if taxing.

I've spent a bit of time in warbird restoration workshops and for all the fun of the likes of the corsair or the beauty of a spit I think a p51d looks like the most sensible ownership proposition.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
There's always the harvards water skiing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGHQ1pYXsHo

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Hawaii fun http://vimeo.com/103777875

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
e: bugatti 100p my favourite twin

Colonel K fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 2, 2014

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

They're really coming along with that build. I was down there in October and some of the guys were doing the sheet metal for the cowling. It was tremendous just to watch.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Ardeem posted:

It's kinda sad that they're so much prettier here in America than anywhere they were built because we let them fly without the anti-spin strakes.

I'm pretty sure you can fly them privately in the uk without strakes. I don't think the Australians ever fitted them either.

I've not flown a moth yet, but everyone I know who has moth time prefers the Bucker Jungmanns.

The dhc-1 though, is a very dear aircraft to me.

Colonel K fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 10, 2014

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Nato - nitrous assisted take off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ1ekkOca5A&

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MrChips posted:

Everyone in aviation already works within largely the same framework...why should anyone else get an exception?

The field itself (although granted better in the States than elsewhere) does tend to stifle development and even participation.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Some true aeronautical insanity. http://www.plus7minus5.co.uk/FlickedBizJet/FlickedBizJet.htm
A pilot ferrying a small bizjet decides to flick roll it, more than once.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Cletus and Bob give no fucks about any of that, they just want to go to the top of a roof somewhere and fly their drone that they aren't really responsible for, pilot wise.

And you think regulation will stop these people?

I've a quadcopter with a gopro on and it's fantastic for filming flying with buddies and other stuff. Especially just going out and landing in fields etc. I'm sensible about it, any filming is always briefed with others in the group and I usually also have someone keeping a second eye out for me. It works well and gives some great footage.

Even with regulation I suspect the problem would always arise from those who don't care and aren't interested in following it in any case.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Godholio posted:

No but when Cletus, Bob, and a couple of other guys get fined a lifetime's salary for violations and end up in prison for 150 homicides after bringing down a 737, there might be a deterrent effect on flying near an airport.

Why does this need any extra regulation? The damage caused should already be their liability. As Helno says the principle in open airspace is see and avoid. Drones shouldn't be operating unannounced in controlled airspace, but that is the case now anyway as I understand it (at least it is in the UK). My point is that it is difficult to stop people who don't care.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
If it's a matter for law enforcement I don't see why the FAA should be dealing with it. As you say it's not licenced.

I own an aircraft and share another and am only too accutely aware of the cost and burden of regulation. Whilst the US is must better in this regard than europe, it's still an issue which not only provides a barrier to entry but also I think prevents people staying current which doesn't help safety. The maintenance bills this year have been pretty significant considering that nothing really has needed done other than routine maintenance items and checks.

This leads to quite a number of people who just go off by themselves. Owning an aeroplane, not insuring it, maintaining it themselves and just flying. My concern is that the more excessively you regulate the activity the more it pushes people outside of it. GA is being killed in europe by such issues.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

Do you not see the need for the FAA to be involved in manned aircraft operations? What's the distinguishing factor for you?
Yes, but does the US have anything similar to single seat de regulated (SSDR) which doesn't need a licence or the likes. down to weight, performance and having only one seat. I'm generally in favour of the FAA's approach to manned aircraft ownership, my plane is on the American register as it's far better than the G-reg.

quote:

I'm sympathetic to this, but we don't even require drone operators to register their aircraft in any way. There is 0 accountability.

My point is that by requiring some sort of registration system it would most likely only be entered into by people who aren't much of a problem to begin with. Leaving the people outside in the same state as present.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tide posted:

Yeah, this is a dumb comparison to make, which is to say there is no comparing the two (drones vs RC cars). One is going to possibly cause a car to swerve and hit another car or whatever (more likely, the RC car just gets run over). The other is has a high chance of causing something to drop out of the sky like a brick with 1 to 300plus occupants in it then exploding into whatever it hits (ground (best case) or building (worst)).

I think you may be going a little overboard here. I would have thought a drone strike would be more akin to a large single birdstrike. If that has a high chance of causing a large jet to plummet like a brick then there's a serious issue with the certification.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

. It's impossible to predict where they will be, as opposed to birds

Also birds don't like the big noisy airplanes zooming by. They avoid us pretty well, drones cant/don't.

Birds are not as predictable as you seem to think. I've seen birds of prey thermalling a good few thousand feet, and often in places that aren't expected. Generally birds will go into a dive when they see you coming but that isn't always the case either. It really isn't that much different to a drone.

I'd much rather take my chances with a small drone rather than a canada goose. I've had a couple of bird strikes coming into land, fortunately they have been on the undercarriage at slow speeds with no damage, sometimes there's not a lot you can do. The answer of something like ADS-B would be a useful addition in my opinion , although it doesn't help people operating a/c with no electrical system.

There are all sorts of obstacles out there , so keep your eyes peeled.

There's enough division within aviation anyway, especially ga.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

I seem to recall this advice was given to either a fresh ppl or even a guy in training. The w&b envelope is a safety net for a reason. Yes with experience some people might push it understanding the risks involved, but it's ridiculous to do it anything but your own aeroplane with the understanding of the implications.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

That's not a spit. If I'm not mistaken that's a P-40 warhawk.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I just like :britain: tailwheels

I never realised how big the global hawk is..

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

charliemonster42 posted:

Not :britain:, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-40_Warhawk

There's one at my airport. Bastard also has a texan, a beech staggerwing, and several RVs in the hangar.

The spit is, which is what I was referring to.

Sounds like a lucky chap, if I had silly money I'd have a staggerwing for touring around in, A P51 for warbird fun and a husky for off field.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
That just looks like great time. Although it's not same type the balbo at Duxford flying legends is similarly impressive with big numbers of warbirds in the air simultaneously. They regularly throw up more than 10 spits.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

xergm posted:

Aerorally should be a thing.

ohio bush planes got close https://vimeo.com/54210091

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

reddeathdrinker posted:

Red Arrows at Aberdeen beach, flying Folland Gnats at olden-days safe flying levels (before they got the Hawks they currently fly, so photo is pre-1979)

Great photos, but I will always love this one. A part of me wishes we could go back to air displays like it.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Gervasius posted:

I'll take my payment now.

I know that Yak, I think it's one of Meier Motors machines. It wasn't that one but I had a seat in a chaps yak 3M when I was down there and they have remarkably little headroom.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I love those old open cockpit aeroplanes. I imagine the gunner just sitting back, chilling in the wind, enjoying the view.

Sexy old kodachromes:

Great pictures,

I'd love one of the AT6 Texans that have the rear canopy drop and the seat can spin around. It'd be great fun I imagine.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

vessbot posted:

It's fun to do once just to say you have (especially if the pilot does some aerobatics... it's quite a unique view), but it's uncomfortable as hell. In a climbing attitude and on the ground, the seat tilt is trying to spill you out and your weight is being supported by the crotch strap...think about it. I personally never felt the desire to do it a second time.

Plus if it's your only chance to ride in a T-6, now you've given up the ability to get some stick time.

I thought the seat could be spun round in the back of those so it was flyable from the back? I was more thinking of it as a fun alternative to buying a plain Harvard.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

vessbot posted:

It can be spun around only on the ground, there's no room for a person's legs while it's in transition. And when it's backwards, the rear stick has to be removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXOpLReNgg - about 7 minutes in seems to indicate that it can be moved around in the air.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Marine transponders are $600, why would adding civilian general aviation transponders that be a bad thing? I figured they were standard equipment on any commercially produced private aircraft starting in the late 1990's.

What if your aircraft has no electrical system?
A garmin gtx330 is about $3'000 and that doesn't include installation and paperwork.

Granted most newer stuff does have a transponder, but the majority of light ga is pre'90

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I was flying aeros out of shoreham earlier this year. fortunately where the airfield is there's not a huge amount of development compared to nearby. It's been a bit of a bad run for incidents recently.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

fknlo posted:

Initial reports were that they pulled him out alive, but I don't see how if he didn't eject.

The initial reports got mixed up with a light aircraft incident on the Isle of White, where a chap forced landed after take off and was "pulled out" by the local campsite owners.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

This is a lovely year for airshow incidents, at least one dead in Switzerland after two Ikarus C42 collide.

Was that the grasshoppers?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Yup http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/two-aerobatic-planes-collide-at-swiss-air-show-one-pil-1725956126

For more cheerful interesting content, Kermit Weeks has a Tempest V project going, two videos for now http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOC84qwgDHkUPwfeLKL40tQ lots of talk with old British fogeys for now, he had or has a Tempest II. Consider it the ForgottenWeapons channel but for classic planes.

Thanks for the link that's better than I could find. I know the club owner and the lead pilot, and have hangared an aircraft whilst visiting earlier in the year. Hopefully he's ok. But it's sad for all involved whomever it is.

I've no idea how Kermit Weeks keeps track of his projects, it must be about a full time job in itself.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'm broadly with Apollo on this one, We have a similar reg search ability in the UK and it just opens the doors to people you may not want knowing where you live and when you're out. I see the arguments for being able to track a misused item back to an individual. but being able to search based on a picture / sighting and finding someones home address I'm not particularly comfortable with.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
you're forgetting clever criminals noting high value items or potentially knowing when you are away.

It really isn't conspiracy stuff when you've seen the damage false accusations without evidence can do to an individual. Particularly when an overzealous employer / police force gets involved

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

fknlo posted:

Do you have to inform them of your vacation days when you get the N number for your drone?

The GA obvious case is using one of the spotters database or online flight trackers. It's a bit like footballers having their burgled when they're at away games or on international duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

They have some of the most congested terminal areas in the world -partially due to some of their idiotic rules- but they're roughly analogous to two or three US centers in terms of overall traffic.

MrYenko is spot on with the description of European airspace. It varies country to country, but with the mess of airspace, it means throughout europe you rarely see any aircraft cruising 7-15k feet. Most GA in the UK is flown surface -3k feet. It does make it a pain getting around. we're also particularly bad about treating class D similarly to A and basically banning VFR traffic by refusing access.