Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

That's cool as hell, but the reporter saying "ALMOST KILLED!!" is a bit of a stretch.

I would say pretty much anything out of the ordinary in a skydiving situation warrants "ALMOST KILLED!!" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also: Canada is incapable of buying a simple aircraft for SAR work. Decisions made by the government have thrown out 'years' of work on Canada's fixed-wing SAR replacement (probably a good six months worth of work by normal standards.)

The best idea to me seems to be DHC-5NG Buffalos from Viking Air. A Canadian design built in Canada that is a modernized version of a proven performer for the last 50 years? Seems like a slam dunk but lol at the gov't procurement idiocy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MrChips posted:

Viking doesn't have unlimited envelopes of cash, while Lockheed Martin does. One guess who wins the procurement contest.

I am guessing the reason will be some BS like "oh Viking can't deliver that many aircraft in the required time frame" all while ignoring the helicopter debacle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MrChips posted:

So that's where MH 370 went.

That CNN guy was half right with his black hole theory.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The main threats to Australia are sharks, the lack of an ozone layer and wildfires.

One on one the F-35 is a match for any of those!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

F-35 water bomber. Do it, Lockheed, you know you want to.

"Fire won't know what hit it!"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Where is that poor heli gonna land :ohdear:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

The Canadian Forces just did a fly-by of parliament hill for the Afghanistan memorial ceremony with, well, basically one of everything. I didn't grab my camera because my first heads up was the sound of a jet engine shaking the building.

C-5's are big :stare:

CC-177 :eng101: (C-17) (C-5s are even bigger)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The CF procurement of the S-92 based CH-148 has been quite the slow motion shitshow but I guess it hasn't hurt potential sales by Sikorsky!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

New business for busy travelers: Rent-A-Sprog?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Being in first class helps.

Complimentary tuxedo storage is a given in first class :wotwot:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was trying to figure out what plane it was I flew on ages ago and perhaps the thread can help. It was Canadian regional (airline long since acquired by air canada) twin turboprop high wing. The interesting thing is the square fuselage profile. I thought it might be a dornier 228 but it looked a little different, especially in the nose. It was a really boxy looking plane.

I remember getting on the plane and everyone chose to sit at the back and the plane did a wheelie until the steward asked some folks to distribute the weight around :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

YES! That is exactly it. Wow, got it in one. Cool! Thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yup I was in it and nobody was sitting forward of the wing so it slowwwwwly nosed up.. I could see the pilots in the cockpit doing their thing they didn't seem to care.. Just once they were ready to go it wasn't gonna work like that :D

I miss Canadian airlines (and Canadian Regional). It was a sad day for westerners when Air Canada took over :(

Funny, the only reference to a Canadian regional Shorts 360 is this safety card on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canadian-Regional-Shorts-360-Canada-Airlines-Airways-Safety-Card-/281321448545

No luck finding pics of it in Canadian livery though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ausgezeichnet posted:

The Irish Concorde. I have about 2500 hours in the right seat of those (don't ask) and can verify that they WILL set on their tail if you don't use a tail stand while loading bags in the aft compartment.

Hah, nice. That must have been it. Everyone sat at the back since the door was back there, so everyone just grabbed the first available seat. I'd flown on them a few times between Vancouver and Victoria in BC, really short hops.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ehnus posted:

Found one!

Pacific Coastal Airlines operated a couple of Short 360s for a while but I believe they have been retired.

Very cool! Man the wings sure look thin from that perspective. That could be Victoria international (YYJ) too, definitely in BC with the AirBC truck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That rules. Funky fuel filled hunchback.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I don't like traveling much but I sure do love flying. Even crammed in the cattle cars of economy, I always enjoy it.

I just wish the check in folks would take pity on me more often and give me exit rows or bulkheads (I'm very tall). But I usually just cram myself in, wedge my femur behind the seat in front to prevent any thoughts of reclining, and go into a zen trance of sorts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like how he gets bank because Kanye sampled a tune of his so he can just keep cranking out hobby-jazz :haw:

Wikipedia is amazing sometimes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also 4) Godzilla attacks

(Stealth optional)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is that an Embraer 145? I recall the funky asymmetric ceiling from the one I flew on, it was 2+1 too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I really enjoyed it too! Nice little plane. It was an American Eagle flight from Huntsville to DFW.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

On the plus side in :canada: news I read that the delivery of the last CH-147F chinook of an order of 15 just happened on time AND on budget, holy poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just in time for the Liberals to get elected and cancel the CH-148 Cyclone program in a weird parallel to doing the same with the EH-101.

Although to be fair the Conservatives seen close to canceling the drat thing since Sikorsky can't get their poo poo together. And the whole "30 minute runtime with no oil in the rotor gearing" requirement not being met.

priznat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 2, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Need something to deal with increased numbers of hybrid polar/grizzly bears too, should buy the remaining stock of A-10s before they are mothballed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well I had heard of that but also in northern Canada and Alaska the hybrids are apparently there too. There is speculation that reduction of the sea ice is causing polar bears to move around and come into contact with grizzlies, which results in more hot interspecies bear action.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Russians would probably be a little more hesitant to do some airspace probin'.

Now all we can muster for intercepts is a tired CF-18 or a twin otter with delusions of grandeur.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FullMetalJacket posted:

this makes sense since I keep seeing contracting postings for Petawawa

For maintenance?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Planes, trains and.. Well, that's it, really.

Those aren't two pillows!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Psion posted:

I don't think anyone did or ever has, except the manufacturers.

Boeing offered a civilian C-17 as the MD-17 and BC-17X to no interest, Lockheed offered a civilian C-5 as the L-500, nobody ever ordered anything.

Model kit makers however don't care about that, and this is how it should be. That F-19 stealth fighter kit was the best, I'm all for cargo planes in airline livery. You name it, there should be a kit for it.

An An-225 carrying a 747 carrying a shuttle carrying the Hubble.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

I know they are about as much as "fighter" as a helicopter, but not going to lie if news came out tomorrow Canada made a deal to take them out of mothballs to replace the CF18s I'd be as happy as a 6 year old at chuck-e-cheese.

I think we'd probably be better off just sticking with the CF-18s. At least they have radar and a whole host of other things the nighthawks don't.

Besides the correct US mothballed aircraft to replace the cf18 is the A-10 :colbert: no radar too but I can forgive it, this time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Really we should just get the YF23, that was black. None more black.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rafales or bust for :canada:

Literally, the F-35 will bankrupt us.

Plus they are sexy lookin little French numbers

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I bet the #1 reason why the F-35 is continuing in Canada is because DND wants them and DND wants them because the higher mucky mucks are probably pals with the US DoD mucky mucks.

That or just plain inertia.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

How much kickbacks would Mulroney get? That's how Canadian purchases of French jets work isn't it?

Arrrgh god that guy. He is in the phase of his life now where he gets trotted out in "elder statesman" mode like everyone is supposed to forget what a crooked fucker he was/is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Phy posted:

Guys Canada can't buy black planes, how are they supposed to paint a cockpit on the bottom?

:laffo: yup, shelve that idea!!

I always found that a little embarrassing tbh. It's one of those "can't hurt" things but c'mon, it just seems like some wacky fighter jet version of a folk remedy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

You really don't see the word "aviatrix" enough I just realized.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I suppose it may be a dumb thought, but looking at all the new photos on Airliners.net, it does bug me that there is a bigger US military presence at this year's Farnborough airshow than there was at the Dayton airshow.

Probably a lot less military hardware buyers at Dayton (taxpayers don't count they already got your dough)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress it we'll just load up on BOMARCs (again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Giant ECM pods and dumping chaff at regular intervals!