Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot
I have a thing for Soviet Interceptors and Fighters;

Su-15 Flagon. This is the plane that shot down the Korean airliner in 1983. Never saw combat, as it was never exported.

Click here for the full 950x633 image.

Tupolev TU-28. Probably the largest interceptor ever made(27.2M! or 89ft.). Was not exported.

MIG-25. Was able to scare the USAF enough into developing the F-15. In reality this craft turned out to be far less capable than orginally thought. Also,it's radar was cooled by raw alcohol(Being Vacuum-tube based). Called the Smerch(Tornado), pilots were allegedly forbidden to engage it on the ground. The radar had incredible power and could burn through ECM.

MIG-29. A extremely capable and highly manuverable fighter. It has an extremely poor combat record and hence a bad reputation, which it really does not deserve.This one here is flying for the Czech Republic.

SU-27. The Soviet's answer to the F-15. Unlike most Russian aircraft,has a great combat/track record.Ukrainian colours.

KlementGottwald fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot
I hate simulated air battles more than anything. Like Armchair quarterbacking with fighter planes. It proves NOTHING.

"Blah Blah Blah Mig-29 in east german air force beat f-16 close-up in mock battle"

Means gently caress all. The 29 is very capable theoretically, but has absolutley no results.

F-16/F-15 vs Mig-29:

1991: 5(?) Mig-29 lost.
1999: 6 Mig-29's lost.

A very bizzare statistic is the fact that a flying museum-piece Mig-25 shot down an F-18 in the opening hours of desert storm using a 1960's-era Bisnovat Long range missle.

Does anybody have any further details about this incident? Did the Mig survive the war?

Also for fighter buffs, this is kind of specific, what was the last confirmed air kill for the USAF( or any modern air force) that was achieved by using the plane's Cannon?

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

durabrand107 posted:

Come now, the F-16 is plenty :frogc00l:

I even like it more than the F-15. Simple and Lightweight.

Awesome post by the way.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot
Early production Hind(A variant)

Click here for the full 980x675 image.

I'm not sure if it was a prototype or if it was put into service. Note the lack of the distinctive Double-Bubble Canopy.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot
The Soviets must not have been particularly pleased with the names NATO gave their aircraft; Frogfoot, Fagot, Fiddler, Fargo etc...

1960's Soviet bomber pilot: "Yay, I get to fly in a plane called the 'Backfire'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

slidebite posted:

Edit: For a fighter, the F16 has got to be in there. Still in production well after 30 years, and I bet various airforces will still be flying them for another 30 years, if not more.

I'd say the Mig-21, even though it's not the greatest jet. It debut was in 1958 and it is STILL in active service.

KlementGottwald fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 27, 2010