Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Singapore has a bigger population than Norway. It shouldn't be surprising given its location that it has a reasonably robust military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Fucknag posted:

Oh I agree, but waiting on the ground in hostile territory for 30 minutes-several hours (however long the prison break would have taken) adds a ridiculous amount of conventional danger to the mission, on top of the batshit STOL shenanigans that are happening either way.

The Israelis did it in Entebbe, although they were at an actual airport.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I assume delousing is what it sounds like, you fly low through friendly air defenses and they shoot down the enemy planes chasing you?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What's the advantage of the pusher propeller design over a conventional rotor setup in that Boeing proposal?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Even if there were 500 companies left, that's just how it's done. When Congress spends money it wants to do so in a way that keeps Congressmen in office. It's not even a problem unique to Congress, it's true everywhere.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, that's probably the most even-handed and realistic piece I've read on the issue. I do take issue with his assertion that the USAF is run by fighter guys...that's the stereotype but it's really not true, especially not recently.

Oh yeah, and it goes without saying but don't read the comments :psyduck:

The comment about the electronics is something I've been suspecting for a while. We've seen a lot of countries choose to purchase the F-35 even when it seems like a bad option. Many reasons have been blamed, from US state department lobbying to straight up bribery by Lockheed Martin, but I bet the electronic warfare component is actually the biggest part of it. I'm totally open to the idea that a ton of Western governments have decided to seppuku themselves en masse, but the possibility that maybe there's some pixie dust poo poo going on with the F-35 that we don't know about is also plausible.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Captain Postal posted:

I'm planing a trip in April. As a foreigner who has no idea about DC transport, what's the best way to get Udvar-Hazy to/from the city? $75 cab each way isn't an option.

Rent a car.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

slidebite posted:

We did this a little over a year ago. We were staying in Arlington/Crystal City and really, for the price of renting a car for 1 day it was nothing compared to farting around with transit or paying $$$ for cab rides. Besides, it's handy to have the vehicle in case there is something else you want to do while you have it.

Also, plan on spending the entire day there. Seriously.

Here is a link from my Udvar-hazy visit:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&userid=86973&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post408981055

Yeah I live in Fairfax and I think a lot of people who visit the area especially from Europe just aren't used to the kind of distances involved here. Dulles is like 30 miles from DC, seriously you want to rent a god drat car. Also you can visit the civil war battlefields in VA if you have one, which are pretty cool, but likely not of a ton of interest to people not from the US.

e: you could possibly save money staying in Tysons actually and taking the newly-opened silver line at the beginning and end of the day if you're going into Washington, then just driving around in a rental car to see the stuff in Virginia. Could also stay in Vienna or Fairfax and take the Orange Line but I think there are more hotels in the Tysons area. I have no idea what hotel prices are like though cause obviously I have no need to stay in them.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Jonny Nox posted:

nope,

Perhaps it is not the F-15 that makes it special...

edit: did I just double post? Hell yeah I did.

Shoot it down or it will blow up washington! </ace combat>

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Slo-Tek posted:

The U-H is never crowded uncomfortably, it is a huge building, and it is a pain in the rear end to get to. The Air and Space and Natural History on the mall are always slammed, though weekdays are marginally better, as are evenings an hour before close. If you are uncomfortable with all the sharp-elbowed school groups at Natural History, I'd suggest a breather at the Sackler-Freer Gallery. It is one robber baron's collection of East Asian art, right on the mall, and it is always dead empty. The food at the Native American Museum is pretty good, grilled bison with blueberry reduction was better than the microwaved sysco you expect at museums. You do pay museum prices though. The Botanic Garden is also nice, and bite-sized thing to do for an hour, also on the mall.

As far as other things to do, the Marine Museum down in Quantico is very new, and very nice, and very cutting-edge-museum-science, but the drive down can be a goddamn nightmare. You'll want to be very aware of what I-95 traffic is looking like both ways, or you can lose an hour.

Udvar-Hazy is less than an hour from downtown Washington on a weekend, and if you live in the good part of the region (i.e. outside the beltway in Virginia) then it's closer than the one on the mall.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, this is aeronautical and insane. First pictures I've seen of the Stratolaunch mothership in construction. Will be the largest airplane ever, by a healthy margin, when it is complete. Twin-hulled, twin-boom, 6 engine White-Knight style lifter designed to carry a medium sized 3 stage rocket up to altitude and launch satellites into LEO.

http://aviationweek.com/blog/inside-rocs-lair

I really thought air breathing first stages were a good idea before SpaceX started Buck Rodgersing with flyback first stages, but at this point in both their developments, feel like flyback stages are a lot more scalable.

Am I mistaken or is that six B777 engines? :stonk:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

MrYenko posted:

Comedy option: Pratt and Whitney 4056s.

(gently caress Pratt and Whitney cowlings, for ever and ever.)

Huh.

quote:

Built for Stratolaunch by Scaled Composites, the Roc will be the largest aircraft ever made with a wingspan of 385 ft. This compares to 320 ft for the Hughes H-4 Hercules (Spruce Goose), 290 ft for the six-engined Antonov An-225, 262 ft. for the Airbus A380, and 225 ft. for the Boeing 747-8. Powered by six reconditioned Pratt & Whitney PW4056 engines salvaged along with other parts from two ex-United Airlines Boeing 747-400s, the twin-fuselage carrier aircraft resembles a vastly enlarged version of the Scaled-built WhiteKnightTwo developed for Virgin Galactic.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I had Jane's USAF but either it wouldn't run properly on my Gateway Windows ME machine or, more realistically, expecting anything to run on a Gateway Windows ME machine is unreasonable. I could only play a few of the missions without it crashing.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm 5'6" 135 lbs and airline seats are never uncomfortable :smug:

If you want extra legroom, just pull your bag out under your knees and stretch your legs under the seat in front of you.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Hadlock posted:

Most of the ceiling space in a 747 is wasted empty space; is there any reason why they couldn't make the chairs 3" taller? It's like they designed the chairs to be comfortable for a person of 5'4" despite the average American being 5'10

The average male American is 5'10 edit: my bad, 5'9". The average American is just about my height.

david_a posted:

LOL that angle isn't happening when you're 6'7''

You are more than three standard deviations taller than the average male. Expecting airline seats to fit you is not reasonable.

e: for the non-mathematically inclined, 6'7" is taller than 99.9% of males.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 11, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Well, "this" is a demonstrative noun, but that's not important right now

I picked the wrong week to quit smoking

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Kafouille, you're not accounting for atmospheric drag, which is substantial at that velocity.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Psion posted:

hahahaha that CRJ-1000. Little tiny engines on an ever-lengthening fuselage.

it's a lovely walk (the area is designed for cars, cars, and by the way, cars) but the destination is 100% worth it, so have fun!

I've read that airports sometimes have to shut down taxiways to get this thing moved around, it's so ridiculously long. No idea if it's true but I can totally believe it.

They have sidewalks in Chantilly. It's not that bad.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Terrifying Effigies posted:

U-H is on the other side of Route 28 from everything else in Chantilly - you'd have to walk across the exit cloverleaf, and there's definitely no sidewalks there.

The Fairfax Connector bus is probably your best bet: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/routes/983.htm

Looking at the map and yeah you're right. I live in Fairfax and don't head out that way much.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What was the age of the copilot? The likelihood of him dying in that short span of time is very low especially if he is under 50 years old.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

smackfu posted:

If you are an NTSB investigator, I imagine most of your time is spent on single-person private plane crashes that end up being pilot error.

One of my ex-girlfriends worked for the NTSB, and basically all the plane crashes they investigated were in Alaska.

She did road safety stuff though.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 27, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ehnus posted:

I was super stoked about Flight Simulator X falling from $25 to $5 until I started playing it with a keyboard and now I'm looking at $150 yokes...

It's playable with an xbox controller if it comes down to it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
If you blame the current drought in California on global warming you are forever banned from complaining about people saying "We had a snowstorm, global warming is fake!"

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It's not the climate, it's just tragedy of the commons. The local effects of global warming are impossible to predict and blaming weather patterns on it is kind of like blaming them on God. Not "lolol God is fake and so is global warming" but because it turns global warming into this vague omnipotent perpetrator of arbitrary weather events.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
That looks expensive but you could probably produce that reasonably cheaply (compared to the price of a loving helicopter at any rate) especially if the wood's fake and it's all made of molded plastic.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
According to wikipedia it had 13 crew. What were all of them doing? Were there like 6 flight engineers to take care of the massive number of engines?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Uh...why would you need 8 gunners for a plane with only one gun?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
How are the SAS A340s? I'm flying on one from Dulles to Copenhagen in a few weeks.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Venusian Weasel posted:

Just a head's up - Yellowstone is really, really crowded in the summer. If there's any animal larger than a chipmunk near the road, there will be a two mile traffic jam caused by people stopping in the middle of the road to take pictures. If you want to get a good view of Old Faithful, show up immediately after it erupts because the seating area fills up fast. If you wanna get souvenirs, watch out for the obnoxious, rude touristy types to cut in the miles-long checkout lines. Budget 2/3 of your time just for getting around the park. It's a beautiful place with fascinating stuff, don't get me wrong, but it's one of the most overcrowded national parks in the States.

If you do decide to stop in Yellowstone, I recommend just staying on I-90 and going to see Devil's Tower and the Badlands. They're seriously stunning landscapes. For aerospace stuff, you can visit Minuteman National Monument in the Black Hills area, if you wanna tour an ICBM launch site. Then just follow 90 east to Chicago, get you some deep dish pizza before shooting down to Dayton, then hit up the Air and Space Museum and Udvar-Hazy in DC. I don't see much point in shooting further south to Nebraska, I don't think you'd be missing too much going to the museum there if you can hit Dayton.

vv Yeah. I've been there but didn't think it was worth mentioning. Really the only exhibit I can think of that you wouldn't see in Dayton or DC is the first manned ballon and pagoda system to ascend past 100,000 feet.

I went to Yellowstone in the middle of February and it was really nice. I highly recommend going in the winter.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm guessing there's a pretty severe limit to how much you can flare that thing on landing without smacking the tail into the pavement.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
That looks like wall paint.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I remember going to Udvar-Hazy when it opened. I came back almost exactly 10 years later and was stunned how much more stuff there was.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Excuse me the F-106 had the best air-to-air weapon ever devised. :colbert:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The only clear area off of Runway 8 is the right of way for a power line.

iyaayas01 posted:

Watch Top Gun

Seriously, it's basically that. Dude basically put the Dart in a high G turn and used some non-standard control inputs, "hit the brakes" metaphorically and aerodynamically speaking (the plane twisted in an abnormal fashion because he applied opposite rudder while in a high-G coordinated turn so he was basically presenting his entire delta planform to the airstream), and the F-16 flew right on by.

Isn't that normally a really bad idea?

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 28, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
No, I mean a bad idea in that in fritters away all your energy

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
:10bux: says it has something to do with the exercise being designed to allow the Indian pilots to actually train instead of getting repeatedly stomped day in, day out.

e: beaten

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

simplefish posted:

Then the question - and bearing in mind that it wasn't my question, so I am guessing - would seem to be along the lines of whether a useful amount of fuel could be carried in a Greyhound, if it is limited not by catapult launch weight limits but rather by maximum gross weight limits

(I don't mean to sound snippy, I'm not, in fact I'm learning - having never seen a tanker plane in person before - but I'm just trying to be clear. Thank you for taking the time to answer!)

The C-2 doesn't carry much in the way of weight. This was discussed in the TFR cold war/airpower thread; there's probably enough gas for two Hornets.

The Marines have developed a tanker system for V-22s that rolls in and out of the cargo door. The Navy is switching to the V-22 for COD by 2022. Perhaps those will be used for refueling. V-22s can carry about as much weight as a C-2, 10 tons or so.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Ada is an awful language and anyone who uses it should be shot. No-one should be encouraging the use of Ada for anything. Also greater type safety won't save you from overflows.

Also an unsigned int would get typically get you to either 2^16-1 or 2^32-1 (it's implementation dependent) so someone was possibly using an 8 bit field. Which is odd. Might as well just use enough memory to get it word-aligned anyway.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Nah, the issue with 128 bits is whether it will fit in one register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
With regard to Navy tanking stuff, an article from USNI last year claimed that the Navy is looking into using UAVs as the tankers themselves: http://news.usni.org/2014/04/01/uclass-used-tanker-carrier-air-wing

quote:

The U.S. Navy is considering using its forthcoming Unmanned Carrier Launched Airborne Surveillance and Strike (UCLASS) aircraft as an aerial refueling tanker to free up its fleet of Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets for more strike missions, several sources told USNI News.