Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Captain Apollo posted:

I'll just leave this here:

Let me sum It up: Water assisted cub landings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuymNRGAw-k&sns=tw

Man, progressive scan does terrible things to propellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

InitialDave posted:

Some do. Pretty much every wrenching configuration you can think of is represented somewhere.

Fortunatly most people will never know the joy of an aircraft that's only mostly Whitworth.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Nuclear plane is one of the few ideas where Kelly Johnson sent the R&D money back to the US gov because it didn't even work in theorycrafting.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

We've been trying to get that right since the USS Marcon.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I don't understand the article about how they're entering the final stage of the search. They've searched and found them, they already dug a pilot hole and sent down a camera on a line and verified that yes, there's airplane there, so they know where a number of them already are. My understanding is that the "final stage" is that they're going to actually start excavating and digging the things up.

My big concern is that the Spits used magnesium rivets in aluminum bodies. So basically if any water got in there at all the airplane's probably turned into mud. But at the same time, even getting 124 Spitfire ID plates to turn into a flying reconstruction is a big deal.

Mosquito stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvp2AeM68iM

The things people would rather have than money.

God bless each and every one of them. :allears:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Itzena posted:

I always found it amusing that the RAF had the Spitfire, which was this bleeding edge metal monocoque with stressed wings and all that...and then the Hurricane (essentially started out as a Hawker Fury biplane with the top wing sliced off) and the Mosquito (made out of balsa and plywood).

How do you leave the Fairey Swordfish out of a list of British aeronaughtical shenanigans?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

A lot of it has to do with regulations. "Ah, you have a warbird... with a transponder in it, excellent here are the general avation restrictions." vs "Ah, an experemental aircraft, have fun never leaving line of sight of an airport without filing a flight plan, or over a city or highway until you've jumped through all these hoops."

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Here's an anecdote from my Father:

After the second world war was over an enterprising man bought a lot of the RAFs surplus Tiger Moths to ship to America and resell as private aircraft. He took the wings off, put them in shipping containers and sent them home. When they arrived he put no effort into matching the wings to the airframes, if something had broken in transit he just grabbed a part from the next one down the line.

Many years later a gentleman's restoring his Moth and finds a data plate on one of the lower wing spars. Hot drat he's got #83 (I think, it was something 2 digit anyway) off the assembly line, that's gotta be worth something. So he lists it in Trade-A-Plane. And gets an angry phone call from the man who found a matching data plate on his fuselage and claims he owns #83.

Who's actually got #83?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Hey, Vampires. I always find it weird to see deHavilland rudders on a jet.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Oh god, Proctor kits, my dad used to build those. I hope you enjoy assembling ribs!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I heard that the Domination 313 (that is what the Iranian plane is called) can go to infinity plus one feet :colbert:

It's just that, you know, with that 250 knot VNE, it's going to take a while to get there.

*looks something up*

... The BD-5J has a VNE of 260.

The James Bond minijet is faster than that thing. :downsgun:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Madurai posted:

The Phantom was a half-generation ahead of everything else in the world at the time. In 1958, two missiles seemed like more than enough air-to-air warload. The F-4 carried eight*, which is still competitive today. "Tough and reliable" were not adjectives anyone would have applied at the time--it was too busy being looked at as the sci-fi superfighter.

(Image shamelessly stolen from Scott Lowther)

*Yes, you can still find a few photos of the almost-never-carried six-Sparrow load.

So... What's in the starter pod and special bombs?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I... always thought they were larger than that.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

MrChips posted:

Those are some cute little firecrackers. THESE are some big missiles:

Kh-20 (AS-3 Kangaroo - basically a MiG-19 strapped to a Bear)

Or for the comedic extreme, the Mistel:

The Fw-190 is the piloted aircraft, while the Ju-88 underneath is the bomb.

That's the first picture of a Mistel where the Ju-88 still had a cockpi- ... Wait, that's a model. :doh:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

18.4 feet, or a little under 1/3 the length of a spitfire. (Every time I look something up on wolfram alpha I make it give it to me in strange units.)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There were a couple of asymetical German bombers, but yeah twin-booms and no center section is a really rare combination.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Hmm, according to that plane's homepage, its last flight was back in Feb, but it will be traveling to Oshkosh this year.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

A Skymaster at a really weird angle? :iiam:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

OptimusMatrix posted:

One of the original flying wings. So goddamn beautiful.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4d8_1363828198

Idly ponders an alt history where Northrop and Horton designed all the aircraft used in WW2.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

That poor golden eagle, it has no feet.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Negligible turbulance, at nearly mach 2. :allears:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

Where are you getting mach 2 from? All I'm seeing is 500 MPH, the only mention of supersonic speeds is one reference to it carrying supersonic planes. :confused:

Whups, looked up the wrong number when I was checking where mach 1 was, so slightly under. It's still an oversized Bell X-1, complete with ruler straight wings.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, this thing is happening. The Buggati 100p replica flight folks are running a kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525000827/reve-bleu-bugattis-blue-dream-will-finally-fly

Seems like this sort of thing would have been a slamdunk to get corporate sponsorship from VW or Redbull. Also seems like they didn't structure the kickstarter very well. I am interested in the project, and there aren't any pack-ins that make me want to dig deep.

Hopefully that kickstarter pays for some higher quality plexi work for their canopy, that's a lot of distortion.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

The obvious solution is just to mount them overwing, like the An-72 or the YC-14.

(They have the prototype at the Pima Air and Space Museum, go check it out if you can make it there)

Man, replace the raydome with a navagator/bombadier's glass nose and I'd swear that thing was Russian.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Wicaeed posted:

drat I didn't realize how big Reapers (if that is what that is) are.

It's the spindly little model airplane gear they've got.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Heh, I think I've read that story twice before, once in Ben Rich's book, and once in a SR-71 book that one of my dads friends had on his coffee table. Neither one had those pictures. Wow.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Pictures?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

joat mon posted:

It's interesting how delicate the B-24 looks from above

compared to the B-17.

What doesn't? Some battleships?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Previa_fun posted:

If your engines are close enough together (i.e. F/A-18 or F-4) the asymmetric loads are minimal.

As far as I can think most twin engine fighters have their engines relatively close together beside the F-14.

Edit: So I don't double-post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtSXJGxMNE
SU 27?

A-12?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I'm going to assume it was the "Computers BAD, if only some infallible human had loaded the palates correctly and some other infallible human had been piloting and used MAX POWER instead of trying for efficiency this wouldn't have happened." One.

It makes my brain hurt.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Ah, the answer to the ancient question "How do you get a C-130 in and out of a soccer field?"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, no discussion of crop dusters is complete without the PZL-Mielec M-15 Belphegor. (Not my photo.)

The more pictures of that thing you look at, the crazier it gets.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Acid Reflux posted:

I fully expected the culprit to be a Cobham ELT97. I've never seen one catch fire, but they do love to spontaneously activate themselves. Sometimes with the switch in the "off" position. The Cospas-Sarsat folks really, really do not find any humor in that.

In the safety recomendations the report calls out the type.

quote:

Safety Recommendation 2013-016
It is recommended that the Federal Aviation
Administration initiate action for making inert the
Honeywell International RESCU406AFN fixed
Emergency Locator Transmitter system in Boeing 787
aircraft until appropriate airworthiness actions can be
completed.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Phanatic posted:

And it's not like I can just call up McMaster-Carr and order this stuff because their stuff isn't allowed to fly.

Aircraft Spruce and Supply?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I posted this in the Navy thread but I thought you guys would appreciate it as well. The air wing of the future as envisioned by my son:

Fans of Cousairs and F-18s I see.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Currently, most aircraft use magnetos, yes, and almost always have two separate mags. Mags are cool, because the ignition key doesn't energize them, it actually GROUNDS them, in the off position. In almost every way, aircraft mags fail ON.

That's why hand-propping is dumb, and dangerous. :eng101:

Newer piston aircraft with FADEC use two entirely separate electrical systems, (dual batteries, dual alternators,) in order to run electronic ignition, but they're in a very small minority, due to the legally-imposed weight penalty of these failsafes.

This is why my Dad's Tigermoth has an electric starter now. (Another five pounds ahead of the firewall's just gravy)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

It's probably already been posted in this thread somewhere, but the story of getting the boxed A-12 out out Burbank is an epic in and of itself.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

So, other than Bugatti and the Wright brothers, has anybody ever managed to make a mid-engine pistion aircraft that wasn't hidious?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Okay, the Optica is both ugly and awesome, as for the p-39... it's not a Frankenstein's monster like the P-75 was, but there's just something off about its proportions. The tail is too small, the fuselage is too long... and too tall. Maybe I'm just too used to fighters that don't have doors in the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

North Cariboo

I'm going to say that this is my favorite livery of the lot.