Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Malaysia has some racial tensions don't they?

It's a crude question, but yes (not really necessarily more than anywhere else in the world though). The history of ethnic Chinese in S.E. Asia is a very complicated story though and I'm not sure how that's all popularised in the PRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Bondematt posted:

Edit: Oh and everyone's favorite, setting the wrong engine to idle after one fails.

Which incident was this?

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

MrChips posted:

What's "Guys, I'm concerned!" in Mandarin?

This sounds disturbingly more like a goon gaming mumble than anything else.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Linedance posted:

That one got the worst of it. Remember to keep your seatbelt fastened at all times!

Flying eastbound over the pond today my heart sank when the cabin crew stowed their poo poo and strapped in, then I got a lot of attitude from my fellow passenger because I refused to get out my seat and made her step over to go pee (she got yelled back down). Thankfully it only lasted about half an hour.

I'm a pretty white-knuckle flyer at the best of times and this is pretty much my worst nightmare even though I know it's a scenario with a perfectly safe outcome. I feel like I'm overdue this to happen, the number of miles I've flown.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea by reset you mean flip breakers cause "we saw a guy do it once on the ground" ...https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/circuit-board-solder-crack-cited-in-indonesia-airasi-419593/

People absolutely love to bring all sorts of crypto-racist "cultural factors" poo poo up whenever an asian airline has an accident, but I always find it funny when you point out that the pilot who caused this accident was also French.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea what a [racial epithet relevant to them] that internet poster is

Uh, that comment wasn't aimed at your post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

I'm not discounting people bringing up crypto-racist bullshit up for the sake of being crypto-racist, but crew resource management (code for crypto-racism) and cultural factors are absolutely a factor in many historically significant airline crashes. But you don't have to take my word for it, just ask Captain Sum Ting Wong.

I actually don't dispute that. The point was if you're actually going to do the whole cultural factors thing, it's actually interesting that a deeply post industrial society is producing pilots that are causing accidents that're happening due to human-automation malfunctions. The Langeweische article on af447 is really good on that.