Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«18 »
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Deptfordx posted:

Say. Remember those 'hoverbikes' we were discussing a couple of dozen pages back?

The one's that looked like the backstory for 'How I became a quadraplegic'.

Welp.

https://sploid.gizmodo.com/cops-in-...king-1819488951

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

StandardVC10 posted:

There's also one at the Yanks Air Museum in Chino, California.

And Peterson AFB, CO

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Godholio posted:

The one outside the AWACS wing HQ building at Tinker AFB is actually a Navy aircraft with USAF paint.

Thatís just a static display too, canít get a tour of the inside of that one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Shalhavet posted:

They have tours of the one at Peterson, too.

vv Shame, the Titan II(?) trainer is awesome.

I canít remember his name but one of the docents at Pete actually worked on that very plane. Best tour Iíve ever had.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Kebbins posted:

Wouldn't the Tu-95 have sounded almost identical to the Tu-114?

Yeah theyíre the same iirc

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Needs more internally mounted engines.

Shame about the square windows though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Midjack posted:

I love everything in that and would love to hear any other Aeroflotical Insanity anecdotes you can share.

This.

Stores of hood rat operators just amuse me to no end.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Itís like a human controlled cruise missile

Russian engineering is so ridiculous.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

One of my ground instructors regaled us with a tale of how some of his coworkers at Mesa got fired.

It was a full flight on an EMB120, and someone was trying to jump seat home. However the jump seat was already taken by someone more senior, so they werenít getting on the flight. But the guy that got bumped was good friends with the captain of that flight and they hatched a hairbrained idea to placard the lav inop and sneaking him on the flight. They even got the FO and FA to agree to it. Somehow he ended up being counted on the manifest and the gate agents at the departing airport couldnít figure out how there was one more person on the flight than possible. So they called the company to figure out what was going on and apparently they were greeted by the FAA and chief pilot when they arrived.

Also a friend of mine that used to fly 135 cargo would tell me stories of dudes going through mins on an ILS on the reg to get to the hotel before they stopped serving breakfast.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Judging by the blown out position light Iím going to go with long exposure.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Tetraptous posted:

Right, during cert the RTO performance of the plane is tested at max weight and without thrust reversers, but that's intended to represent the "worst case" performance. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to use thrust reversers during a RTO, since I would think that once you decided to abort you would be committed to stopping, and every bit helps. There's a NASA survey about the use of thrust reversers, and added safety margin during RTO was one of the reasons airlines liked to have them. (Interestingly, the overall conclusions of that survey were mixed. Airliners are designed to operate and minimums calculated without considering thrust reversers, so they're totally optional equipment. Airlines like them because using reverse thrust reduces the need to brake, with can increase brake lifespan. But the airframers know that the costs of buying and maintaining a reverse thrust system are actually the same or higher than the cost of extra brake wear from not having them. So, the mystery is, why do airlines keep ordering planes with reverse thrust?)

Holdover times while brake systems cool off. Sooner the plane can get back in the air the sooner it can make money again.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Midjack posted:

Yeah, cause he totally knew what flying a fighter jet was like.

Like flying low level in an A5.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

I know Basler zero times the airframes when they do the conversion. Does anyone reproduce new DC-3s? Seems like the market would be there for it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Wasnít the Robinson R22 invented so doctors can fly from their suburban McMansions to the city hospital for work in a ball of fire?

Yes

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

PT6A posted:

So, regarding the A5 crash, I'm seeing reports that Halladay had a full license and something like 700 hours total time, not just the minimum for a sport license or something.

That's by no means a very experienced pilot, but it's not inexperienced for a private pilot either, especially if he only got his license in 2013 -- that's quite a bit of flying for a recreational pilot. I feel like it's enough time to learn such things as "altitude is your friend and the ground is dangerous" and "don't do stupid poo poo just because you think you can," which begs the question of what the gently caress he was doing when he crashed.

With that many hours flying solely privately/recreationally, if he hadnít flown with an experienced instructor for anything beyond a BFR thatís an accident waiting to happen. As he proved.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Insert old and bold clichť.txt

PT6A posted:

True, I hadn't thought of that. That's a lot of time to develop bad habits and false confidence with minimal intervention.

It absolutely is, if you havenít yet read The Killing Zone, itís a sobering read that should be required reading for every sub 500ish hour pilot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Man nobody did post apocalyptic movies like the 80s/90s.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Sometimes on the pilatus the nosewheel would be a little out of balance and be noisy and shakey as poo poo for a few seconds after the gear retracted.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Enourmo posted:

That's what the puff of smoke is when large aircraft touch down, the rubber skids for a second while the tires spin up to speed.

But what if they landed on a giant treadmill that perfectly matched the speed of the wheels?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

I used to fly giant dicks on the Frasca sims in school

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Sagebrush posted:

I'm fairly sure that's a CRJ.

If this is some kind of joke, gently caress you

But what model CRJ.

Also wtf knockoff hobbit theme music

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

inkjet_lakes posted:

This thing is doing just fine so far, it seems:

Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...-herts-42037832

Thatís some good zeppeling Lou.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

I canít believe 2010 was almost a decade ago

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

9/11 fading from a majority of adultís living memory canít come soon enough.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

vessbot posted:

In 3ish years Apollo 13 the Tom Hanks movie will be the same time span from Apollo 13 the space mission as the then-present.

These are the kind of comparisons that make me feel old as poo poo

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Yeah Vietnam vets are older now than wwii vets were when I was a kid

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Were almost to the point the war is old enough to serve in the war.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

The Comet is Connie levels of gorgeous.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Just lol at British planes that arenít a Spitfire, Comet, or Concorde.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was going to quote you the An-148

But I cannot defeat your argument

Also, Cubana is apparently buying An-148s

underwing engines like some kind of a scrub

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Is that all made using plants?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

PT6A posted:

Not everyone working on holidays hates it. I love working on holidays because I don't have huge family obligations, so we tend to just all take time off and get together some other time, when things aren't all hosed over and insane by the fact a major holiday is going on. Granted, I'm definitely in the minority, but I'd have no problem working Christmas or whatever so someone who does care about having Christmas off can have it off instead.

Same.

Off peak holiday time family holidays are the best.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Ardeem posted:

Reading the history of DhC->Boeing->Bombardier->Airbus on wikipedia is just mind boggling.

Itís amazing aviation is a thing at all honestly

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

azflyboy posted:

From what I can find, all versions of the Dash 8 are faster than the Dash 7, and they also seem to have had a higher service ceiling. That said, the Dash 7 had far better takeoff and landing performance than any of the Dash 8 family, and it's probably significantly better engineered than the "good airplane built with crap parts" that the Q400 ended up being.

Four PT6s though

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Excellent

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

The B-29 wing is still flying today as part of the super guppy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

The Kennedy Space Center has a small piece of moon rock you can touch. Itís probably more germs than moon rock at this point but I still touched it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Looks like retardant foam all over the engine too, wonder what the story is with that one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Well yeah but I meant in a general sense of the whole crash. Looking closer at it, it looks like engine #1 was shut down and feathered before the crash, itís the only prop undamaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

MR. FUSION

Well, thatís that then.

«18 »