Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was looking at Wikipedia’s sources for the radial engine article, and it led me to the greatest GIF, depicting Operation Chastise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve heard of short‐handed flight crews, but that’s just ridiculous.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Knee Defender™ comes with this bitchin’ form letter:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Jesus, how much time would that save, say, NYC-Heathrow?

Less than twenty minutes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mazz posted:

On another note, what system is used to name/number runways?

Wikipedia explains it better than I could.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mike-o posted:

Source please :stare:

Supposedly Willy Coppens did it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eej posted:

Wait, how did they prevent bullets from ricocheting back into the airframe? Or was that just An Accepted Risk of War before they figured out a not ridiculous way of doing it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If only someone would send a submersible down to the alleged wreck.

C’mon, James Cameron.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

The Nazis became distinctly aware that they chased off a lot of their brightest minds around the middle of the war, and were desperate. Von Braun's work was known well before the Nazis arrived, and he would have likely been either arrested and thrown into a concentration camp himself or killed.

The Nazi nuclear program didn’t accomplish much and no one seemed to care. We know now that that was a much harder problem than unguided rockets, but I don’t think it’s out of the question that Von Braun could have stalled and gotten away with it.

There’s also an argument to be made that the rocketry program had a terrible cost/benefit ratio and helped the Allies by siphoning German resources from conventional armaments. That wasn’t Von Braun’s motive, of course, but in hindsight perhaps it was for the best that he continued his work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I would assume there would be an offence under the Criminal Code that may fit the bill.

That reminds me of of this line from the Larry Walters incident:

quote:

We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, some type of charge will be filed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Curtis LeMay's declaration that he wasn't going to put his crews into what amounted to a "loving bomb" probably helped.

“Bombs Away” LeMay thought it was dangerous?

Lockheed Suntan: less palatable than a nuclear first‐strike on the Soviet Union.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EightBit posted:

Is that really a thing that Civics used to contend with?

No, it is a joke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Supposedly, five thousand feet is enough for the fuel to disperse at ordinary temperatures. Fuel still isn’t dumped on a whim, but it’s not as bad as one might imagine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Reengine the A-10, problem solved.

Just fire the GAU‐8 and fly backwards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Setting aside the “how”, why would the test engine be mounted like that? Why can’t one of the existing underwing pylons be adapted? Surely a 747 can safely operate with three full‐size engines while lightly loaded.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Bartini Beriev VVA‒14 is the ugliest plane. This is not negotiable. :colbert:

These are its better angles:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VOR LOC posted:

I think my main beef, and this goes with pretty much all "light" aircraft, is that all you really ever see is an endless cycle of interior/avionics upgrades to airframes that have been around since my parents were toddlers. How you can have super advanced electronics inside an aircraft still flying a wing and engines built with slide rules just blows be away for some reason. While the PC-12 airframe isn't new by any stretch it still gives you a glimpse what is possible in that area of aviation if manufacturers would spend some lots and lots and lots of money and take advantage of all of the progress in computers and aerodynamics and everything else thats happened in the last 50 years.

This is why I laugh and laugh at each new issue of Flying or AOPA magazine or whatever. Endless oohing and ahhhing over some new FMS put in a 182 or winglets on a Cirrus.

When you put it that way, you make it sound like airframe parachutes are the biggest development in decades.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fucknag posted:

The rocket is specifically designed to deliver its rated payload while leaving enough fuel for the flyback maneuver. Customers who have a heavier payload can opt to dip into that reserve to get it to orbit, at higher cost (since the rocket will fall into the ocean instead of being reused.)

If they’re going to write‐off the first stage, maybe they can use one that’s already flown several times and is nearing end‐of‐life anyway, reliability demands permitting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know how some airports have employed falconers to prevent bird strikes? Imagine that, but with drones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

joat mon posted:

The idea was put into limited practice in WWI with the Davis gun:

This 3 inch was the largest. The counterweight was lead shot and grease.

Now I’m imagining whalers using recoilless harpoons. :black101:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eej posted:

So basically like a regular harpoon cannons except everyone has to hide from the backblast.

Rocket harpoons already existed. This is a natural improvement.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So they shut down the wrong engine and by the time they realised their mistake, it was too late?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s what I thought; I was confused by the “failed to restart” language, as if there might be something wrong with engine № 1.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve never found a 5 mW LASER inadequate for any pointing purpose. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

This was one of the results when I image searched for avenger pics:

My favorite part about this image is that the lower missiles are mounted to the upper missiles. Why not?

Load‐bearing ordnance. :jebcry:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 17, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spaced God posted:

If we're posting facts like that, the B-29 design program costed more than the Manhattan Project.

At least the B-29 was a good plane. It’s a shame the V‒2 wasn’t technically an aviation program, because it also cost more than the Manhattan Project.

I’d like to know how much the He 176 and Me 163 cost, but not enough to go digging for a good source.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m a fan of the AD‒1.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Inaugural Virgin flight from Manchester to Atlanta was supposed to include a ceremony involving a water spray-down from a firetruck.

Instead someone hit the 'FOAM' button instead and got the flight canceled:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/inaugural-manchester-atlanta-flight-grounded-8950095

At least they didn’t run over anyone this time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sceptical that battery‐electric planes will take‐off, but kerosene‐electric hybrids might be a different story.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If fossil fuels are to be shelved, the obvious alternative is biofuels. Even lovely corn‐derived ethanol looks good as aviation fuel when the alternatives are hydrogen via electrolysis or batteries.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I knew a guy who claimed that the USAF flew him on an SR‐71 to Alaska to fix a critical (and of course top secret) problem.

It’s the tallest tale I’ve ever heard, but at least it’s baller.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well that’s one way to fly a plane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saunders–Roe SR.A/1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a pretty good idea where Ola’s living room is located now, but I’m just going to keep it to myself. I can confirm it’s in Bergen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When my mother refused to risk having her film exposed, the German TSA lady made her take a photograph of her to prove the camera was fully functioning and not an explosive device.

What does that prove on a film camera? That the bomb camera makes convincing sounds?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, slightly different question: when did people start designing airplanes on the assumption all that nice infrastructure was actually there?

For overseas travel, seaplanes dominated pre‐WWII and fell out of favour quite quickly afterwards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SybilVimes posted:

Why does a french aircraft under a french airline with a french pilot have a british G-reg ? And where's the damned intake for engine #3 ?

Goddamned Hergé, get your poo poo in gear.

I think you mean engine #2.

:goonsay:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

One Eye Open posted:

Given escape velocity (from Earth) is 40,320 km/h, that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

Escape velocity is the speed you’d need if it was applied instantly and you just coasted from there, as if you shot something out of an ideal, hypothetical cannon.

Rockets need never reach this speed, they just need to make keep making progress against gravity (i.e. have enough thrust to match their weight and some extra to accelerate with).

You could escape the Earth while never going more than 1 km/h relative to it, it’s just that such an approach would be incredibly inefficient.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

:lol:

I'm picturing the B-52 engine arrangement on that 767.

Now give it the B-36 engine arrangement. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There’s no way that would pass evacuation tests, right?