Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

D C posted:

Pff...

Get that loving deathtrap out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
What sort of aircraft is this?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

cobra_64 posted:

If you are at all interested in what happened on United 232 watch this I bet after part one you will not be able to leave your computer until you have finished the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPu0chBQeUk

This is awesome. And the DC-10 was a death trap.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Bugsmasher posted:

Cockpit video of an ATR-72 landing very steep due to a pitch trim malfunction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNXaQpf26UA

Okay, gently caress those guys.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Bugsmasher posted:

Seeing some comments on an aviation forum that it may not have been a pitch trim malfunction, but a flight crew just having some fun with an empty plane.

Just a little innocent fun... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_Airlines_Flight_3701

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
KALB to KBWI on a CRJ, how bad can it be?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

HeyEng posted:

Thats some lovely pavement. At least the jet is OK.

In the pavement's defense, it's a REALLY lovely aircraft.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Make it a Lego GE-90 and we'll talk

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I love how the 78's wing design is so bird like. Nature got it right first time, millions of years ago.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Also, will the merged AMR and UA be called "American Airways" or is that just too perfect?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

The 737 is not a narrow-body aircraft.

What the gently caress?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

dissss posted:

Air New Zealand (my countries carrier) is still waiting on the 787-9 that were supposed to have arrived back in 2010.

Means the 767-300ER and 747-400 they're (indirectly) replacing are starting to get old.

I wish US carriers had a fleet that we could call "old" at 24 years. You can still find your rear end in an MD-80 here.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
A Croatia Airlines pilot was forced to use butter in order to close the forward door on the carrier’s Dash 8 Q400 on a flight to Istanbul. Passengers observed as the pilot and cabin crew smeared butter over the latch which wouldn’t close properly. The aircraft landed safely in Istanbul where the problem was fixed. The jet passed all technical requirements for its return flight to the Croatian capital. The incident occurred on Wednesday on flight OU350.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're familiar with northern Canada in terms of roads, yes

I can't imagine anything larger than a 208 landing on northern Vermont's roads, I can only imagine those in the the great white north.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Identify this aircraft, please.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

N239JB by PHLAIRLINE.COM, on Flickr
Sarah Palin's 2008 campaign ERJ-195. This particular ERJ set a distance record for the model by flying 3100 miles from Anchorage to Buffalo after dumping the loser off in Alaska on the way to be repainted and put back into normal JetBlue service.

America First! *flies Brazilian aircraft*

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Also, Willard "Mitt" Romney;

You are worth $200,000,000. One can buy a decent low-time 733 for under $5,000,000 USD nowadays. Why are you flying a plane as old as I am?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I am a single issue voter: the candidate's plane.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I need a list of Kerry, Gore and GWB's planes to prove this hypothesis correct.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
The mass casualty plan for a local university involved us landing the aircraft on the campus' football field, an artificial turf field. This makes a lot of sense, as it's a nice open and well-lit space.

Thankfully people with an actual brain in their heads called it off before any pricey PW206 turbines were destroyed from FOD. You see, artificial turf fields contains millions of little rubber pellets...

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

joat mon posted:

Are rubber crumbs more of a risk than dirt?

According to our A&P, they tend to melt somewhere in the high pressure area and cause hilarious hijinks and/or the death of a flight crew.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Blistex posted:

I thought that's what made DC-10s crash?

The DC-10 crashes because it is a DC-10 and the thought of that is enough to make any aircraft plow into a farm field.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Powercube posted:

Off on an aviation tour of DPRK in a couple hours. Probably wont see the reply until I get back to civilisation but, I presume y'all want to see photos of even the most mundane plane related things from up there?

P.S Today's aircraft is P-881... also known as the IL-62 with the hat racks.

Oh mansies that's awesome. Tu-134s, Tu-154s and IL-62s please!

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Weak sauce. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/10/how-was-this-plane-even-able-to-take-off-in-this-sea-of-mud/

Try that in your Q400.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Linedance posted:

777 is either triple seven, or triple, or just "trip" for brevity's sake.
Other boeings are either seven-four or forty-seven, etc.
767 is "piece of poo poo" or "I can't wait till they park these heaps in the desert".

I thought it was always the first two number of the type, then the model number.

So a 777-300ER would be a 773ER

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

MrChips posted:

Preaching to the choir here I know, but i'll expand on this a bit. The worst part of a second-hand fleet is that there are enough differences between individual aircraft that it seems like nothing is the same. Each airline specs their aircraft slightly different to one another (or really different to one another, if you're dealing with ex-TWA aircraft), so you'll find yourself in a situation where an LRU in one aircraft doesn't work in another aircraft, or a certain system has a special maintenance procedure that could be unique to that one particular aircraft, which creates nothing but hassle, even if you know about it beforehand.

This is one reason why Boeing has gone to great lengths to make everything on the 787 work on a common architecture, regardless of supplier or options. As an example, swapping engine makes in the 787 is a job that could be done in a night's work, as both makes use a common pylon and a common "language" to communicate with the aircraft. In previous models, it is basically impossible to swap engine makes, as it would have required thousands of man-hours of engineering work, plus all the regulatory headache to go along with changes that dramatic.

Is this not also true with the 75 though, since they were developed in tandem?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
The turquoise color that Soviet-era aircraft cockpits are painted makes me really happy.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Powercube posted:

Communications array. The soviets always put them up there on their early T-tails to limit drag and interference.

The Trident had a similar style, too. It was just an early jet-era T-tail thing.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

movax posted:

:stare: Ahaha, holy loving poo poo. Will we even hear about it when that aircraft disintegrates when they lower their gear?

Considering the fact that a train explosion that leveled several entire city blocks and was so massive that debris were found literally in China went un-reported, what do you think?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

movax posted:

:staredog:

What the hell is going on in there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryongchon_disaster

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Someone Photoshop a DC-10 and a Dassault in here so I can have my "shittiest Trijets of the world" dart board made.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
With Horton tips you should be able to land on the piano keys :11tea:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

The Locator posted:

Got linked this from a friend. Flickr album of the DC-7 that flew Lady Bird Johnson around. It's been sitting on the tarmac at the Goodyear airport since 1976 waiting for restoration (guessing it's never happening given the 36 years it's been waiting now).

Some great photos, both exterior and interior.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyrat_wesly/sets/72157632003404478/

Aircraft look better with HF antennas strung from nose to tail.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

blambert posted:

So this fine gentleman is building his own helicopter.

Wonderful.

Yup, no way that could go wrong.

He should really talk to RB211-shed-guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7ksfRVF70

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

If anyone could find this image in higher resolution I'd be grateful. (Reverse image search wasn't much help, unfortunately)

:clint: Convair 880

Owns

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Oh, Lockheed, you used to be so very good...

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Sir Cornelius posted:

No, You can remove them, you just can't apply as much torque as you can installing them ;)

Those tri-wings come in four-wing too. I think the original idea was that you must select the correct bit and correct torque to successfully do the job - or you'll pay bitterly.

Do the four-wings look like... Nazi screws?!?!?! :godwin:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Nukes for, and in, space are pretty awesome. If only people didn't have this near unnatural fear of reactors.

I grew up near Indian Point, so I think my fear is pretty rational.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

slidebite posted:

Totally off topic, but came across this which I thought was kind of interesting, A380 approach into KSFO.

Some really good video in it.

http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding/

This owns. I still don't think it was very nice to call the flight crew names at 20' RA though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
The airline is called red wings :newlol: