Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Is it just me or do all of those look like copies of certain other aircraft only slightly more...pointy?

Speaking of which, what's with the giant Pylon/Probe thing on all the T-tails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

There are a couple of good open mic incidents on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLe4u5ruWrA

There's another one I can't find where ATC acknowledges a check on followed by the phrase "Right where I wanted you too ya' bitch"

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

DoesNotCompute posted:

Honestly, being a 5'6" 155lb person I can not even FATHOM how people 6' or taller or heavy set people tolerate flying.

I'm a 6'4 ~280LBS airline pilot that commutes from PHX to ORD every week. You get used to it and pray that the person in front of you isn't an rear end in a top hat who decides to lean their seat back.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

What's with the cockpits? Do they really think that the next generation of fighters are going to be manned? Just look at all the issues the F-22 has had keeping the squishy meat sack conscious.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

D C posted:

I turned on the FM radio on my iPod Nano last year somewhere over Chicago at cruise altitude and amazingly I was able to pick up stations.

ADFs operate in the same frequency range as AM radios. During training we didn't have any NDB's nearby but we needed to practice ADF work so we used the local AM station as a navaid. The station had a bunch of those bashit crazy conservative radio hosts, I'm suprised they never talked about all the airplanes circling their station monitoring their "beacon of truth."

You can also use them to "listen" to lightning which is pretty bad rear end when you're flying next to a line of storms at night and the lightning syncs up to the static.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

gohuskies posted:

This post is a couple of days old, but that Boeing factory is the largest building in the entire world by volume. It's more than double the volume of the second place building. Didn't see anyone mention it and it's a fact I love.

It's hard to wrap your head around how loving huge that place is. From Google Earth it doesn't look THAT big:

I mean sure it's a big building, it's not like it's that much bigger than say, a major sports complex...right?...Right?

Things I decided to put in the Everett Plant:
-Safeco Field
-Seahawks Stadium (or whatever it's called these days)
-Key Arena
-Huskies Stadium
-The Tacoma Dome
(All more or less to scale)

At this point I ran out of stadiums in the Seattle area to cram in there. I threw in the Experience music project in case there are some Boeing employees who aren't sports fans.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CharlesM posted:

On the tour they mentioned it being bigger than Disneyland? Is that right? Check it out.

Possibly. The problem is that Disneyland is round and the factory is more or less rectangular. If you rearranged Disney land into a rectangular shape it looks like it would just about fit.

(The red rectangle is more or less the general size of the Boeing Plant.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 18, 2013

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Don't mind me, just waiting for the ground crew at o'hare...

That's what you get for flying on Chautauqua.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Acid Reflux posted:

*Picture of premature SAAB rotation*

Are those the old Mesaba Airplanes? I thought they went back to Sweden. Are they stilling flying around Europe in Delta colors?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

FullMetalJacket posted:

Squinty Embraer

we jack them up so high, it's precarious at best.

Where was this picture taken? Judging by the amount of insulation on the door I'm going to guess MQT or possibly ORD. Also, I'm not sure if I'm comforted or concerned by the fact that goons are working on the planes I'm flying.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Godholio posted:

Could you imagine if the galley items were treated like that? Tinker would've had 3 flyable jets after canning every tail.

Reminds me of one of the best writeups I've ever seen
(Click for huge/readable size)

Airlinepilot.jpg

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

:lol: we turned into the wrong side of terminal 2 at ORD and we're now doing a slow 360 to turn around. What the gently caress is going on with this flight.

This happens fairly often at ORD. If the crew is unfamiliar they'll get permission from the correct ramp controller to enter the alley but then enter the wrong alley. In terminal 2 and 3 the concourses are set up so that the even numbered gates of a certain letter are on one side, the odd ones on another. It makes it easy to find your way around the terminals when you're in them but from an operational standpoint parking at G5 and parking at G6 requires entering a different alley and even talking to a different ramp controller.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

More like the movie Idiocracy.

Here are a few examples of questions I've been asked in the airport:

"Is this gate G4?" (asked to me while I was standing in front of a desk with 2 foot tall letters saying G4)

"Is this flight going to leave on time?" (Asked 5 minutes after departure time)

"Can't you just change it quickly?" (Asked by a customer after I told them that I could not change their seat because I don't work for the airline they were flying on)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

"ABC NEWS posted:

Sources said a fan motor overheated in the women's lounge, which is near the control center, leading to smoke- but no fire

I know there's a Horrible Mechanical Failures thread in here, but is there a Hilarious Mechanical Failures thread?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Whenever you sit in the exit row the FA has to ask if you've read the information card and are willing and able to open the door in the event of an emergency.* A few months ago I was in the emergency exit row. The guy at the window had ear buds and was obviously not paying attention.

"Sir?"
*silence*
"Sir, have you read the briefing card?"
*silence*
"Sir, I need to know that you can open the exit in the event of an emergency."
"Oh yeah, yeah, we're cool"
"Great! Pop quiz time, once you get out onto the wing how do you get off?"
"Ummmmm, slide down the front?"
"Nice try, why don't we pull out the briefing card and have a look?"

She then stood there and made him look up the correct answer. It was freaking hilarious.

*The main reason they ask this question is to make sure that you can understand and speak English.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

EightBit posted:

That sounds like it might be fun if you're prepared.

Until you realize that you're about to be on the wrong end of the worlds largest sandblaster.

movax posted:

I'll try asking nicely, but they'll probably tell me to gently caress off, seeing as it's US Airways.

U.S Airways no longer exists, they just haven't painted their planes in that ugly American paint scheme yet. Of course, American Airlines now consists of:

-Major carriers
U.S. Airways*
America West*
American Airlines

-Wholly owned regional carriers
Envoy (formerly American eagle)
PSA
Piedmont

-Regional carriers that have been outsourced to
Air Wisconsin
Republic
Skywest
Mesa
Atlantic Southeast Airlines

So when you badmouth U.S. Airways you should probably mention which of the 11 carriers that you're actually flying on.
*U.S. Airways and American West are technically merged but their crews don't fly with each other yet.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 28, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

"Retard" would be a good ringtone to put on other people's phones.

One of my "friends" did this to me. He set it up so every time he sent me a text message my phone would say "retard retard." I chose to think of it as my phone warning me that a retard was sending me a text message so I didn't change it. Until one day when I was shopping at one of those grocery stores that hires downs kids as baggers. According to the manager I'm not welcome at that Safeway anymore.

Luneshot posted:

That TCAS voice is really muddled and hard to understand. I can imagine that non-native English speakers would have no clue what the thing was saying.

It's much much clearer (and louder) than in that video. Besides, all you really need to know is there's a TCAS RA happening and the VSI will tell you the rest.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrChips posted:

(even though it was a Q400 ten years before the airlines knew they wanted a Q400)

The airlines don't want the Q400 because passengers don't want the Q400. Even though it's only about 10 minutes slower on flights <400NM and much more efficient passengers think that for some reason propellers = death trap. They're a lot happier on an ERJ-145 which is just a lovely prop->jet conversion than on the Q.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Did Boeing ever propose to convert the venerable 737 in to a double-size V-22?

No, but Hughes Aircraft made a giant helicopter called the Xh-17:

The rotor wasn't spun directly by the engines like they are on most helicopters. Instead bleed air was pumped into the rotors which had outlets at the tips causing them to spin.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Did American change their livery due to Boeing not being able to offer the 787 in "polished aluminum" in part because it has a composite fuselage?

They changed it because they wanted to "rebrand" during bankruptcy. Back when they had the a300 they were fully painted for a while as Airbus was worried about corrosion of the bare aluminum. They could have just painted the 787 as well.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Poorly thought out safety systems and pilot error.

This is the problem with the airbus design philosophy. The pilot is there to manage the systems, monitor the autopilot, and take over in case something breaks. The problem is that they've designed the pilot out of most of the systems so that when something DOES go wrong the pilots tend to get very confused very quickly by the information the airplane is giving them.

While AF447 is probably the most well known example of Airbus Informational Cluster Fucks, QF32 is down right terrifying. It took a very experienced crew about an hour to figure out how much poo poo was wrong with their airplane, and even then they still didn't realize that their #1 engine was running right next to a fairly substantial fuel leak.

Oh and then there's QF72 which just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Shavnir posted:

That being said everytime I hear a plane overhead I smile a bit and wish there was a noise compliment line.

I once got chewed out by an angry octogenarian because my civilian flight school had the gall to buzz his house with an F-16. He didn't believe when I told him that we had not, in fact, selected the F-16 as our new single engine trainer to replace our aging 172s. The best part was that I pretty much had to yell into the phone to get him to hear me because he was almost deaf.*

My second favorite story about noise is the saga of Arizona Motorsports Park which was shut down temporarily due to noise complaints. A racetrack being shut down because of noise isn't unheard of, and it's a little bit off topic for the thread, except for one small fact. AMP is literally only a few hundred yards away from one of the runways at Luke AFB (where the loud as hell F-16 in the first story came from.) I know motorcycles are loud but are you really going to complain about them when there's a loving F-16 taking off right next to them?

*Or he had no idea how to use a phone.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Now, air carriers get more direct routing, and much better weather avoidance, flow control, etc, but they also cruise slower, to save fuel.

Internationally, it might be different, since long haul aircraft tend to cruise at a higher Mach

The difference between the international and domestic is not too terribly significant. Above mach .83-.85 you start getting into pretty severe diminishing returns on fuel burn no matter what you're flying. A CRJ-700, a 777, and a G650 will probably cruise within ~20 knots of each other. Sure the 777 and the G650 are capable of going a bit faster but it's going to cost you a LOT of gas for not much return. Ones a RJ, ones a huge wide body, and ones a long range high speed biz jet. Most domestic narrow bodies I've been in the cockpit of cruise in the .78-.83 range so I guess they're technically slower than the international stuff but not always, and even then not by much.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Jesus, how much time would that save, say, NYC-Heathrow?

Ignoring climb and descent profiles about 15 minutes. You would burn an extra 12,000 #lbs of fuel at a cost of about $6,000 USD.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We hit .5 the other day. Turboprops represent.

We get some hilarious routing anywhere near LAX as controllers try to get us the hell out of the way.

My experience flying TEC routes in a Seminole in the LAX area:

Student: "Can we slow down yet?"
Me:"No."
ATC:"Can you pick the speed up?"
Me:"No."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Naturally Selected posted:

So who wants to see A350-9s doing some formation flying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI4jWYZLeHQ

Still doesn't beat Tex Johnson rolling the 707. Or the Vans Air Force

Also, who the hell is the guy with the tattooed arms, shaved head, and wrist bling?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I wonder how much AA saved over the years by not painting most of their airplanes.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

A cesspool of Cessnas.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

How do you say "Hold my beer in mandarin?" https://youtu.be/21qZPaCRSQI

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Hermsgervørden posted:

Boeing with a safety bulletin after Lion Air Flight 610.

There’s been very little discussion of the crash ITT. I read that the aircraft was giving faulty airspeed indications on the previous flights, but Lion Air engineers cleared it to go. Faulty pitot?

Faulty Angle of Attack sensor. A stall doesn't occur due to low airspeed, it occurs due to the critical angle of attack being exceeded. Despite this being hammered into the head of every student pilot ever it's still a thing the industry doesn't really grok. High AoA cues and the stick shaker activation point are both typically displayed on the airspeed indicator which leads to confusion about the aerodynamic state of the airplane in the event of either of the systems failing. In AF 447 the pilots ignored stall warnings that were real because they assumed they were erroneous do to their failed airspeed information. Here it looks like the lion air pilots may have assumed their airspeed was wrong (it still may have been, we don't know yet) and tried to recover from an erroneous stall indication made worse by the airplane continuing to trim nose down to reduce the AoA.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

So how long until someone is slow to react to a real stall because of all the emphasis on erroneous stall indications and colgons a 737?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Someone found out how to solve the 737 max problems: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1130627580452291 (I apologize for linking a facebook meme)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Prelim report on the Ethiopian crash if it wasn't already posted: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5793877/Preliminary-Report-B737-800MAX-Ethiopia.pdf

TL;DR Boeing hosed up

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

If a 747 is on a treadmill that matches it's speed can it take off on the 8th day of the week if the dynamically unstable headphone jack for the IFE is plated in gold?

If you don't know you should try asking over here: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/airline-pilot-forums/

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

meltie posted:

Got buzzed by a Spitfire and a Hurricane today. Then the Red Arrows did some loops round my field too.

Got buzzed by a 737, a airbus, a md80, another airbus, another airbus, another airbus, a E175, another 737, another 737, another E175, a 777, a 787, another 737, another md80...then I got buzzed on a local IPA because that's the only way I was going to be able to sleep in this hotel directly under the DFW departure path.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Airplanes on flatbed trucks is a fun image search:

The videos are even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JDogTLtels

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I flew into BDL last night and flying out tomorrow, should be interesting to see what’s going on when I get there tomorrow.

Crossposting a relevant post from the A/T thread yesterday:

KodiakRS posted:

So I had what was probably the most somber overnight (overmorning, gently caress redeyes) today. We were at BDL and could see the b-17 crash site from out hotel. The lobby of the hotel had a bunch of news crews, people in NTSB wind breakers, and a presentation by the state police where they announced the names of the victims. It felt so strange to be walking through the hotel in uniform amongst all that like "yep, just gonna go fly where a bunch of people died in a plane a few hours ago."

There were also a few other WWII era aircraft parked on the other side of the field with a b-17 sized vacant spot on the ramp. It must be gutwrenching for the crews on those other aircraft.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

A Boeing Employee posted:

This airplane is designed by clowns, who are in turn supervised by monkeys.

I see the team that designed the Vnav system on the NG got promoted to project lead for the max.

I bet the airlines are thrilled that Boeing is now recommending mandatory sim time for max pilots. Some of the larger max operators are probably looking at multiple years to get all their pilots qualed in the max. Especially LUV which isn't used to having to deal with pilots who aren't qualified to fly every plane in the fleet.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I would 100% declare an emergency and return to land for a compressor stall. Post landing I'd have CFR inspect the engine to make sure we're not leaking fluids or dragging parts on the ground before we taxi back to the gate.

I get paid the same if the flight continues, returns, or never even leaves the gate. I do not get paid to be a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

bloops posted:

I’m likely wrong but isn’t TOGA in some airframes a command rather than physically moving the throttles to the power setting?

In most airliners with auto throttles one of the things TOGA does is command the throttles to go around thrust. If the auto throttles are inop, not engaged, or overridden by the pilot, they will have to be advanced manually.

On the 737 there are two settings of go around thrust. Pushing TOGA once gives enough thrust to transition to a healthy, but not excessive, climb rate. Pushing TOGA again sets max thrust which feels a bit like being strapped to a rocket if you're not prepared for it.