Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Stupid Airbus question: During taxi in an A320, I heard 4 or 5 "bark"-like squeals from the undercarriage. Upon reaching the gate, I heard something similar. Since the barks seemed to coincide with engine spool-up/down, I suspect the PTU. It sounded like it was right under my feet, and freaked the heck out of a bunch of people around me.

I've flown in A32Xs before and noticed they make a bunch of weird noises. Boeing jets, on the other hand, tend to be quieter - some 'clunk's, but no barks or whoops or "WOOOORIUUUA" noises.

Is there some reason why Airbusses tend to be louder? Are the French big fans of odd barks and squeaks? Is it their passionate nature expressing itself through the medium of hydraulic noises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Flew out of BOS yesterday and spent some time pre-security watching the Cape Air Cessnas taxiing to-and-fro. I must say they were parked quite messily.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

movax posted:

there are no magic aerodynamic tricks to compensate for multi-ton armoured vehicles tumbling in your cargo bay a few hundred feet off the ground immediately after take-off

But what if they had a rocket?

:smugbert:
Your move, gravity.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Jacked this off my twitter feed.

God dammit, there's a reason for those "do not flush toilet while parked" signs in the bathrooms!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Holy cannoli. How much can those li'l things hold?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

So AA are refitting their MD80s and 73Xs to squeeze in more seats.

I was hoping they'd retire their Mad Dogs soon so someone else could get them (I like MDs but dislike flying AA). Guess that's a 'no.'

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I'm a Kryptonium SkyMiles member (only three more segments this year and I'll be at Ham Sandwich level!) because ATL was the only hub near me for a long long time.

I think I've flown about 60% of the bodies that Delta have doing mid-range and TCON legs out of ATL, plus the -88 and the -90 (maybe? I was too drunk to take note) and mot of the obligatory Embraer BarbieJets that serve points south of ATL through Delta Connection. Don't think I've flown the ex-Gulf Air 767-3P6s, just the Delta 763-200s.

Also, surely that grass is too green to be Pensacola?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 18, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The big goofy wheels make this plane look even cuter.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Tch, and I had considered going into the city today. If I had, I might right now be bathed in the plume of burning hydrocarbons and rampant speculation from KTVU.

When you're coming in, the seawall before the threshold at SFO is a bit of an abrupt shock because it's right there (my memory is foggy but on one incoming I may have felt a flare while I could still see the seawall ahead), but it's not every day a 777 drops shorts on the runway.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 6, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

We should also be thankful that this 777 didn't hit another plane landing at the very same time on a parallel runway.

Also that it wasn't trying to land on a treadmill.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Gotta have something to keep the pens in there during their BK's inevitable autorotation.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Presented without comment.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

grover posted:

Also water fountains and restrooms. 2 fountains in an entire terminal? Restrooms serving about 6 gates with just 1 urinal and stall? Stalls with doors weighted to self-close so you can't tell if they're occupied or not without pushing on them? WTF, germany?

Yeah, you'd think Germany would know how to build something properly so it was within code.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 17, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ATL was my hub for 10 years or so, and I got real good at walking between terminals (instead of using the train) and ignoring the Mayor's high-volume recorded announcements.

Also I was a Deltalina fan.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 19, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Coming this summer: Speedtape Supplies Critical.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The wing placement on Dorniers makes them look like they're constantly :shrug:ging

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

grover posted:

the prototype 100kW laser bored through 2" of steel in 3 seconds during one of the early operational tests

Remember, this death ray is for peaceful purposes only!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Sit in 7D (starboard aisle seat, one row back from the exit row) on the DC-9-50 and you'll have as much legroom as you might ever need.

Relatedly: I miss being near a Delta hub. What I get now is UA and two parallel runways technically not far enough apart.

Oh and Virgin I guess. (CHORTLES.)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 25, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Pop a sedative/hypnotic and try to sleep.

Walk around a bit every so often.

Find the inevitable screaming children and underhand bowl them down the aisle into the aft galley.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The British Film Institute are getting a 757?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

"Horrible plane crash here at Aspen airport. Exploded into flames as it was landing. I think it was a private jet."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

This one?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Patrick Smith found a Soviet-era commuter jet - the Yak-40 - in Liberia.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The Renewed Pilot is giving away A320 cockpit panels.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

KLIT:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dDumDN3Y5I

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

dietcokefiend posted:

Strange... watching it circle and now it is putting distance between it and Geneva at a pretty good clip.

It turned back 'round again.

:ohdear:

quote:

Aircraft apparently cleared for an ILS approach. What could be a hostage negotiator has been heard on the radio

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Ask The Pilot post on the retirement of the DC-10, feat. words and pictures from a poster from this very thread.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Wanna buy a Bear?

http://theaviationist.com/2014/03/06/tu-95-bear-on-ebay/

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo that second one.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

That's Barbie Jets for you.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Obstruction of the pitot tubes was one of the contributing factors to AF447 - another crash, like MH370, where us unwashed public wondered how one can just "lose" an airliner in such a hyper-connected world. You'd think we'd remember the last time the experts explained it to us.

Captain Bravo posted:

What happens if the static port is what's blocked? Would your Pitot still be able to measure airspeed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroPeru_Flight_603

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

Also suspected to be the cause in the loss of Birgenair 301, a 757 that crashed shortly after takeoff from the DR in 1996.

"The cause was a pitot tube blocked by a wasp nest that was built inside it"

Just when I thought I couldn't hate wasps any more.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

and here, we see the baby airbus boeing using its larger compatriot as cover to avoid predation...

(Sorry, I'm not a proper plane fan yet)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 27, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

kmcormick9 posted:

I would still ask for a refund

If it's Delta you'll just get SkyMiles.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

I agree but it's bloody hard to pronounce

indie

fat

eeeeee

gabble

:confused:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, likely a Delta Connection flight. IThe image is at least a year old, I remember seeing it before.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

I do have to say that flight safety/mishap investigation is a serious interest of mine. I actively read about it and did it in a professional capacity. It's utterly fascinating to me. Morbid as all get out, though.

You should make a thread in a/t like the traffic engineer. :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

What's the general opinion of airline dispatch? Mystical weather wizards? Fuel economy obsessives? Any commercial/big airline dispatchers in the thread with stories to tell?

Just learned dispatch is more than I thought it was; a work chum wants to do it but can't find any openings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

CharlesM posted:

drat. Landing during a typhoon though...?

Report I heard this AM (BBC reporting on NPR) was that it was an attempted emergency landing.