Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«14 »
Inacio
May 20, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Long-EZ and Velocity are the two that spring to mind immediately.

I still dream of one day building either a Long-EZ or an E-Racer.

e:

monkeytennis posted:

Sure it was single engined? Could have been a Piaggio Aero, has twin push props.

my god.

Inacio fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inacio
May 20, 2013

A Handed Missus posted:

Bond-san could be thrown out of both of those.

The fact that that thing flies is a great reminder of how little I know about aerodynamics.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

mhsneon posted:

The heritage flight was also pretty cool at the show this year.

How fast/slow were they going? So weird to think that they can all fly together.

I'd honestly believe that a F-22 wouldn't be able to fly level at 500km/h or less.

loving thing looks like it's meant for Mach 30+.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Oh my god that's amazing.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Oh god this is making me feel very funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2XpSBqfes

Give me more HD airshow videos please.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Can someone explain to me in very simple terms why they're trying so hard with the F-35 if the F-22 is supposedly still pretty much unbeatable?

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Godholio posted:

So, the F-35...because there's no other choice available.

This is one of my favourite posts on SA so far. Thank you so much!

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Ola posted:

Anyway, had to read the wiki article on the F-22 again, it has some amazing facts.

Which is probably happening at some not-inconsiderable range as well

That's really really impressively fast. God drat.

1Gbps downstream is insane even for residential fibre.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

I don't know why, but this picture makes me so so sad:

Poor ekrano/plane

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Koesj posted:

Looks like a silver age sci-fi space bomber to me.

Which is also why I like it so much
It really looks like a scifi spessship.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

SybilVimes posted:

The WA-14 wasn't actually an ekranoplane, people just assume it was because it's a weird shape. It actually had proper wings and was a normalish VTOL amphibious plane...

Ekranoplane operation was also planned, wasn't it?

e: also that thing would do VTOL. God drat that'd have been scifi as gently caress.

Inacio fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 13, 2014

Inacio
May 20, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Powerplant:
(Cruise) 2 ◊ D-30M turbofans, 67 kN (15062 lbf) thrust each
(VTOL - not fitted) 12 ◊ 12 RD-36-35 PR lift turbofan engines, 43 kN (9,666 lbf) thrust each

Russia.txt

I wonder if a very rich person could buy, restore and upgrade it with the planned VTOL capabilities.
Would be loving amazing.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

What an amazing video. Thank you!

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Let us take a second to talk about how silly this looks:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...canfleaship.jpg

(I guess you can't hotlink from wikimedia?)

Inacio fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 16, 2014

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Man I am just on a ugly flying machine spree today

Inacio
May 20, 2013

drunkill posted:

Turkey shoot anyone? 'Tis the season, is it not?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...ed-jets/5823464

Didn't they deploy F-22s in Syria? I wonder how many ISS-piloted MiG-22s a single F-22 can take out before he gets bored and goes home.

movax posted:

Eh, it's pretty sweet propaganda though. You know there are some retards who are going to panic about evil browns now having fighter jets.

Secretly though, I'm sure there are war-boners raging right now to have a F-22 around to club those jets out of the sky as soon as possible.

I'm a brazilian anti-violence borderline buddhist monk person and poo poo I would love to see that. The IS is loving ridiculous and should seriously be eradicated. I know a lot of muslims and the fact that they call that Islam is shameful.

But mostly I just want to see F-22s blow evil planes up.

Inacio fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 17, 2014

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Can we post insane (but seriously proposed) concepts here?

Inacio
May 20, 2013

I just wonder if a gigantic as gently caress plane like that is doable. I mean, it'd probably take some scifi tier engines to make that thing move.
Considering the A380 is 276 tons empty, and the full Caspian Sea Monster had a 546t takeoff weight, that thing would probably be way over 1000 tons.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

BobHoward posted:

I dunno if I'd call that "seriously proposed". It's just the pretentious wanking of a self-promoting "designer", not anything anybody capable of real aeronautical engineering ever took even slightly seriously.

Google the dude's name (Luigi Colani) and you'll find all kinds of ridiculous poo poo. It's vaguely plane-shaped sculpture, not serious engineering.

The problem with Colani is that it's not just pretentious wanking or self-promotion.
All of his designs are poo poo he thinks can be done somehow (even if modified as most things he proposes are. basically all of them. dude loves his curves).

Not saying that his stuff isnt ridiculously absurd and completely impracticable, that other gigantic passenger plane just got me wondering if a plane on that scale is possible.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Gotcha, and I believe the answer is yes. Boeing once did a design study for a truly ginormous aerial bulk cargo tanker; if they thought that was possible to build I don't see why a 2000 passenger aircraft would be out of the question.

quote:

The RC-1 would have been roughly twice the size and mass of the Antonov An-225 Mriya, the largest aircraft built, but would have carried about five times the payload.

quote:

To lower runway loads, the aircraft used a massive landing gear arrangement with 56 wheels.

quote:

RC-1 "Brute Lifter"

This would've been the best plane.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Question: What

I couldn't find the picture I wanted, so here's this one:

In the picture I wanted the shuttle looks really close to Earth. The guy who took the photo explained later that he just had a really really long telephoto and was zoomed in all the way.

Like, you can make out ground stuff and all.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Fucknag posted:

Nope. Jet engines don't exert any noticable torque on their airframes. The exhaust gases put torque on the turbines, yes, but that spins freely on bearings; all exhaust pressure on the engine housing is directly outward.

In piston-engined planes, not only do you get the torque from the engine, but also the reaction torque from the propeller slipstream. As the propeller spins, it imparts a torque on the air, which pushes back (thank you Mr. Newton); that torque feeds back through the geartrain and adds to the engine's internal reaction torque, which is why it's such an issue on high-powered prop fighters.

Dunno if that applies to turboprop engines, I imagine so since a lot of newer transports with them have counter-rotating props.

Can you explain (in slightly simpler terms, I'm not completely ignorant of physics but I'm not very literate either) how a P-51 (which I think is p much the strongest-engined single prop plane?) doesn't have to trim heavily to avoid rolling?

I mean it'd probably be a non-issue if it had slightly asymmetric wings but I don't think it does

Inacio
May 20, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Clearly he's referring to race P-51s. :P

Honestly I only guessed it was (not hoping to be right) because why would they use a plane that isn't that fast to fly in formation with a SR-71?

Inacio
May 20, 2013

david_a posted:

I've heard that a Sopwith Camel (where the actual engine rotates) could turn 270 degrees right faster than it could do 90 degrees left.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know rotary engines like these were a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DXEsC4Pq8

Inacio
May 20, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

While we're on the subject of ludicrous planes and even more ludicrous engines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H

And even though it was just a test plane, this is one of the weirdest looking wings I've ever seen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republ...1_Thunderceptor

Oh the Thunderscreech

Inacio
May 20, 2013

gently caress me, this would've been the coolest plane

Inacio
May 20, 2013

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._commander_ama/

SR-71 pilot Ask Me Anything on reddit. Neat stuff.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Absolutely incredible post, Nebakenezzer. Thank you so much!

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Iridium posted:

Is anyone else following development of this sexy little devil?

The Bugatti Model 100 had been custom built in the late 30s for racing. The French government had approached the designers to start using it as a platform for a fighter, but war broke out before anything could happen there and the thing ended up hidden in a barn. It didn't really catch much attention again until the 70s. And now they're working on the 100P, a reproduction of it.

They keep talking about the test flights but they keep not happening. There's a ton of info including some engineering diagrams and aerodynamics papers on their site, mostly in French. All interesting stuff, though.

god drat that is pretty

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Man this plane looks loving cool. Would totally fly a restored Me 262.

(also holy crap the czech actually used them after the war, whatttt)

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Platystemon posted:

If only someone would send a submersible down to the alleged wreck.

Címon, James Cameron.

June 2015, says the article.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

I'm not going to lie... I'm suddenly turned on...

I'm finding out that plane engines are loving cool as poo poo lately.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

The Locator posted:

Automot... err.. Aeronau... err.. Aeromotive Insanity?

Friend posted from SEMA - 300 Jacobs Radial Aircraft Engine in a Chevy truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGeSIM_8BHY

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Naturally Selected posted:

Old video and probably a re-post, but I just came across this and thought I'd toss it up. Bf109E-4 restored to flying condition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUUlO6ihwE Music is ehh, but that engine sounds drat nice.

I love that video. That plane is one hell of a beauty.

And don't you shittalk Daft Punk.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Ola posted:

RNoAF intercepting Su-34 north of Norway a few weeks back.

It's a sexy beast, even if it's under orders from a giant douche.

Intercepting as in "we don't want you here" intercepting?

The gently caress is Russia doing in Norway uninvited

Inacio
May 20, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

iirc, the F-16 restrictions are based mostly on the ACES II and whether or not you can fit in it. So body proportions are as important as overall height (although obviously Shaq isn't gonna be a fighter pilot anytime soon). As long as you're not freakishly ill-proportioned you can still be 6 foot+ and fly the Viper.

As someone who's 1.90m tall this pleases me

Inacio
May 20, 2013

dubzee posted:

The 35 looks like a guppy with wings on.

The 22 looks like this:

For some reason the surface on the F-22 and the PAK whatever Russia is making looks so sexy to me.

It reminds me of the awesome (and completely different) pattern meteorites get.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

This guy is making a KSP for planes.

http://www.simpleplanes.com/

Supposedly it uses "realistic physics". Could be fun.

Inacio
May 20, 2013

This is my fave low pass. I was trying to remember what it was called earlier when the discussion started, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inacio
May 20, 2013

How interesting: the U-2 was also used for dropping bombs in its later years!

«14 »