Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

pkells posted:

Amazon.com has revealed they want to deploy delivery drones

This is cool, but how the hell is this going to be kosher with the FAA? Hundreds of tiny drones buzzing around the skies, flying right up to our houses- this just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I plan on using a shotgun to intercept and recover electronics from rich neighborhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
I can't wait until one flies into a huge pack of ugly, urban crows and some dudes retina iPad mini drops into a reservoir.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Snowdens Secret posted:

All this collision talk clearly means the quadcopters will have to fly inside networks of elevated plexiglass tubes, bringing us one step closer to our Jetsons future.

The fact that they don't build giant pneumatic tube networks is a loving travesty.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Slo-Tek posted:

Bell V-280 Valor mock-up.

"FVL is meant to develop a replacement for the Army's UH-60 Black Hawk, AH-64 Apache, CH-47 Chinook, and OH-58 Kiowa helicopters."

Because multi-role is money-roll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Vertical_Lift

The military industrial complex is such a joke.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

FullMetalJacket posted:

Interesting design with the tractor/pusher orientation of the engines on top of the wing

Cessna did a tractor/pusher model called the Skymaster, which was a really lousy aircraft. All the expense and complexity of a twin, and it wasn't all that much quicker than a 172. Also the rear engine likes to overheat and quit during taxi, so that when you take off it fails to climb and you slam into whatever is at the end of the runway.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

MrYenko posted:

Cross post from the Aviation thread, because I know there are more people here that aren't already in the field in some way:

Literally retarded would be an understatement.

In addition to being free of Down's syndrome, don't you also have to be less than 29 years and one day in age?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

MrYenko posted:

Mandatory retirement from controlling live traffic at 56 (you can bid into non-controlling positions, and stay with the agency,) and they want their 25 years out of you.

That's interesting. Firefighters and police officers have no maximum hiring age under NY civil service rules, yet ATC does.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

FullMetalJacket posted:

This thread is now about finding faces in airplanes

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Bob A Feet posted:

Sorry but if my plane is hijacked I may do a little more than frantically try to send texts.

it sounds kind of like whoever it was depressurized it, maybe to keep everyone by their masks? but then it also sounds like he did a rapid descent too. I don't know. I'm armchair quarterbacking so ignore me.

Although I am definitely in the "gently caress you, if you're crashing this plane you're killing me first" mentality, I don't think you would have an opportunity.

At a cabin altitude of 30,000 feet you have about 90 seconds of useful consciousness. Not a lot of time to force your way into the cockpit and beat on a homeboy.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Gibfender posted:

Don't the oxygen masks only work for about 12 minutes?

Good point. Wait until below 10,000 MSL to leave your seat and go primal on your hijacker.

I believe the pilots have the ability to drop masks manually, not just via pressure trigger. So perhaps he was giving the impression that the cabin was depressurized to keep everyone compliant.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
My first thought is "Man, that's beautiful."

My second thought is, "I hope that isn't the model with the rubber band powered single circuit hydraulics"

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Godholio posted:

We stopped in Budapest to refuel on a chartered US carrier 737, but we didn't pay the fees to let anyone disembark. The Romanians were kind enough to roll up some stairs so anyone who neede a smoke could stand there and do so.

It was awfully nice of them to roll stairs all the way across the border.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

drunkill posted:

Navy Squirrel Eurocopter plus WWII display, Lockheed Hudson flanked by a P40 Kittyhawk and CAC Boomerang

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74315705@N00/sets/72157641681765695/

That's no Squirrel, my friend. That's a very sexy Bell 429, likely one of the very first in Australia.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Argo and the rocket propelled C-130 make me realize that the DoD just makes poo poo up as they go along like 90% of the time.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Craptacular posted:

You'd think it would be cheaper just to send out a chopper to pick them up. Quicker treatment for the patient too. Or do big cruise ships not have helipads?

You still have to be within endurance range of a medevac helicopter. With civilian EMS ships, that's pretty loving close to shore.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
777-200 overdue in Malaysia.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/malaysia-airlines-flight-missing-239-people-on-board-1.1720011

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
There is no way a 777 lacks some sort of INMARSAT capability, even owned by the most bootleg airline.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
The pilot is Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, a Malaysian aged 53. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 1981 and has 18,365 flying hours. First officer Fariq Ab. Hamid, also Malaysian, is 27. He joined the airline in 2007 and has 2,763 hours.

That's a lot of experience.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

SouthLAnd posted:

How many things would have to go wrong mechanically to cause a 777 to crash during otherwise ideal conditions?

Lots. It's one of the safest and most dependable aircraft ever built.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

hobbesmaster posted:

Lithium cargo fires have brought down several freighters.

gently caress it, i'll take Aloha 243 style fatigue, stress, and in-flight breakup.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
At least locally the plans carrying jumpers announces on CTAF at 5 minutes, one minute and when jumpers are away. You have to be completely oblivious to miss it.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

BonoMan posted:

Would it have even been possible to get a cell phone call or text message out on the Malaysia flight? Maybe once they changed direction and got back over land again?

Probably not.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Crescendo posted:

Just out of interest, what do pilots say over the intercom to the passengers after a missed approach, if anything?

I imagine they try to be casual and diplomatic about it, so nervous people don't get the wrong idea. Or do the passengers not even notice/care?

Once in awhile they make a sheepish comment about why they went around, to quell the nerves of really nervous passengers.

I, for one, think that all checklists and action items should be read aloud over the PA. It would be way more comforting to hear "T's and P's are all normal, flaps 3, gear down" than some lovely movie starring Sarah Polley or Matt Dillon.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're insane if you think that hearing the checklist read out would be more comforting to 99% of passengers.

I am certainly not one of those 99%.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
If these people only knew how often their doctor left the room to go Google poo poo on their iphone.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

TotalLossBrain posted:

In addition to what others have already said about this, the Helios flight was flying above 30,000 ft if I remember correctly. Any decompression that takes you from sea level to above 30,000 ft in anything less than days, if not weeks, will cause loss of consciousness in short order and most likely, death. Frankly, I find it utterly amazing that Helios 522 had a conscious flight attendant walking around.
Effects of altitude can vary tremendously from person to person, but it can be unequivocally stated that sudden exposure to environments above even just 12,000 feet will cause disorientation, poor judgement, and sleepiness. Go up higher, faster, and it gets worse. The progression is gradual, but the disorientation and disappearing ability to make good decisions is what gets people in trouble quickly.

Time of useful consciousness above FL20 is less than a minute. The only way anyone was walking around the cabin at that altitude was on 100% FiO2.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Linedance posted:

There's something to be said for the simplicity and immediacy of analog communications. The last thing you want to see on your radio when you're having an emergency and need to communicate is "Queued".

Agreed. With a lovely AM or VHF signal I will probably hear your transmission, albeit staticky and low. Compare that with the new P25 systems, which will simply reject your signal for being out of spec. Convenient!

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
So this is the New Hampshire Learjet crash that was found years later by hikers, but on a scale several thousand times greater. Awesome.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Are they using 1930s tech to do this, like bearings lubricated with greasy rags?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Wombot posted:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/news-chopper-crashes-seattle/nfFtZ/

The helicopter used by Seattle's KOMO4 and KING5 local news stations has crashed literally across the street from it's helipad, right next to the Space Needle. Two civilian vehicles were hit and burned, and firefighters just announced that there are two DOA, and at least one other wounded.

Chopper 4 has gone down. First on the scene, Chopper 4!

Annnnnddddd an AS-350 claims another couple lives. GG Aerospatiale.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Powercube posted:

Classic Helicopters, they are awesome and professional!

Good stuff. I bought myself time in the an Enstrom for my birthday next month. It will be different getting in the right door, i'm excited!

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

CharlesM posted:

The Seattle helicopter that crashed apparently was rotating counter-clockwise before (and during?) the crash.
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023194406_helicopterreportxml.html
It's a Eurocopter, so doesn't that lead us to believe the tail-rotor probably failed? Obviously just speculation for now though.

If not failure, than surely loss of tail rotor effectiveness. And yes, the rotors on French helicopters turn clockwise, so the fuseleage spinning anti-clockwise would point to something tail rotor related.

Here is a crash of that type, bear in mind this is a Bell so the blades turn the opposite way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIWk88Gn9NM

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
In an urban environment where buildings and obstacles keep you from pushing the nose over and flying out of it, there aren't a lot of good options left. Sucks for the aircrew involved.

The A* is known for having pretty decent tail rotor authority, much better than say, a 206.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

CommieGIR posted:

I'm Comm/Nav for heavies, so yeah I know how TCAS works.

But that isn't all TCAS is for, KNOWING that an aircraft is there is half of the battle, if you know that an aircraft is nearby and its given altitude, you can avoid it. Yes, you need more information to be able to get RAs, but being aware makes an accident all the less likely.

And how are you going to know where the drone is without a pressure altimeter? RNAV? Eventually with all this equipment you're going to be looking at a microlight sized aircraft.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Fox News told me that the airplane was hijacked and was being filled with explosives to crash into American cities, and don't think they're wrong about this! :colbert:

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

tehk posted:

I've noticed a tendency that most dual control systems are still piloted by someone with very little RC heli experience. Flight controllers work great about 90% of the time but having the ability to use manual mode to land instead of dealing with a flyaway or uncontrolled drift is important. National geographic hired Bobby Watts, a 3d pilot who could hover a camera rig inverted while sleeping, to fly their slow motion camera over the water in South Africa for shark week. They hot swapped battery packs every 8-15 minutes to keep flying with a trex 700e. Big single rotor dual control rigs are stable, fast, and predictable. Though if they do crash it is typically a total loss. Their current setup uses a red epic on a 800mm bladed Gaui similar to this.

Speaking of manned rc helicopter flight someone was stupid enough to lift a lady using a pair of these large 3d helicopters a few months ago

That's basically a 1/12 scale Bell 47.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Every IFR certificated aircraft has two static ports and sources. Thankfully.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Award for the dumbest pitot location has to go to the SPIFR certificated EC-135. No, Eurocopter, i'm sure this wasn't an afterthought.

Edit: It's really stupid and irritating because the the most dangerous time to be walking around a helicopter is when the blades are spinning up or slowing down. Once the engine(s) are making reasonable Nr, centrifugal force keeps the blades from dipping too much. While they are speeding or slowing, gravity still causes them to dip, and a good wind gust can send the rotor disc very close to your scalp. Helicopters like the EC-130 with huge blades can actually be flown in higher wind gusts than they can be safely started at.

That aircraft has :canada: P&W engines which don't need to idle before shutting down. So the crew is very likely to be hugging the body of the aircraft and snagging themselves on the pitot.

A Melted Tarp fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 27, 2014

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

VikingSkull posted:

The weather is nice, sure.

Counterpoint: You're in Florida.

Do you still work at KSWF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

VikingSkull posted:

nope, been out of there like 15 years

to the far away land of "across the street"

Ah, okay. Going down there the last week in April for some R-22 time. Curious if you had anything aviation-related to do while i'm in town.