Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

If I had to guess, I'd also say that it's to keep the sun out (I'd imagine the plexiglass canopies would trap a lot of heat, which over time could damage any plastics and such left on the inside).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Speaking of the Starfighter, the Soviets actually considered a similar configuration for the MiG-21 at one point (apologies for poor quality of scan, didn't want to damage book by bending the binding to much).

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Not sure if this has been posted here (apologies if it has), but a cool video of the J35. Skip to about 1:50 for the coolest part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqiDEcfSnXs

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I noticed that Tibet was in that infographic. I'm betting that the plane was hijacked by the Dalai Lama, who plans to fly it into the next meeting of the Chinese Politburo. :tinfoil:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I'd imagine flying in a 777 pulling 2.5g would be :jeb: as gently caress. (Actually, I'd probably be making GBS threads myself.)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Looks like a barge with a Stülcken derrick of some sort, wonder why it'd be that far out by itself.

It's picking pieces of MH370 off the sea floor, obviously. :tinfoil:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

Can we please stop ops/MX talk? I'm having flashbacks to the moments where I wanted to make a pen disappear in my eyeball from lengthy MX debriefs.

Here, have a story of a P-3 suffering quadruple engine failure (story is last one on page); http://www.vpnavy.org/vp47_mishap.html

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Don't know if I've ever posted this before, but have you ever wondered what would happen if an F-104 and a MiG-21 hosed?

Now you know!

Bonus:

Apologies for poor quality of scans.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

[insert joke about F-35 bombing refugees here]

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Was mucking about on the internet looking for information on some of the Archangel proposals, and found this, which is pretty interesting.

Apparently North Vietnam actually managed to damage an A-12 at one point.

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 29, 2014

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Early designs for Oxcart/Blackbird were pretty :psyduck:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

MrChips posted:

And that's just Lockheed's designs. Have you ever seen Convair's proposals for the same project? Some of them are pretty wacky, like a 3-in-1 parasite design based on the B-58! :shepface:

The FISH!

Good luck getting a Hustler to Mach 2 with that hanging off its bottom. Also, best acronym.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

EightBit posted:

That sounds like it might be fun if you're prepared.

1. Acquire parachute
2. Pop chute as aircraft goes to maximum power
3. Have fun ride suffer massive injuries

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

rscott posted:

I did 49 hours on a greyhound from wichita to atlantic city and back, it was pretty hellish

Travelling to Atlantic City is a bad idea no matter what sort of transportation you use.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Is it just me (and the blur), or does the nose on that thing look quite blunt?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm not an aircraft engineer (or any kind of engineer), but no, that's not a reasonable thing to do under any circumstances IMO. If you're designing something that needs a set of backup controls, you drat well keep them as separate as possible from the primaries for exactly the reasons illustrated by QF32.

See also: United 232.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

From the passenger perspective, I'd agree.

And on that, why do Airbus aircraft never have fully working in flight entertainment? I have never been on a 330, 340 or 380 that did not require at least one in-flight reset.

The 767 I flew across the Atlantic in in January 2013 had the IFE system fail. At least they comped me free beers (they were warm, but still).

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Given that one of the major missions of Canada's new fighter aircraft is defending vast frozen wastelands against intruding bombers, it is clear that the MiG-31 is the best choice. :colbert:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Tu 128 might be more Canada's speed.

1. Acquire Tu-22M.
2. Modify as needed to fit massive fucktons of AAMs. (maybe just a software upgrade? idunno)
3. Profit?

Bonus: Also capable of exploding ships illegally transiting Northwest Passage.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

I was imagine something like an aim-54.

I guess if Russia is going to shoot down an AWACS they might as well do it with a nuke because the rest of them are heading towards the US.

On that note, did the Soviets/Russians ever make nuclear tipped versions of their AAMs (such as R-40 or R-33)?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Aeronautical Insanity: Official E-3 Appreciation Thread

(In all honesty, I find the stuff about AWACS pretty interesting.)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I still hold that the Backfire with AAMs is the best solution for the Canadian interceptor / Arctic sovereignty role.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I went on the internet, and I found this;

7th Generation!

(but the website says 6th???)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I'd be curious to see how an A-10 holds up against some of the heavier autocannons fitted to the Yak-9 (such as the NS-37 and NS-45).

Also, this discussion reminds me of the time somebody on another forum claimed that the MK103 was superior to the GAU-8.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Madurai posted:

Close air support uses the really low-yield nukes.

The real future of CAS;

Maximum survivability against SHORAD! :haw:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

This is concept art, but still;

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Its part of the reason they decided upon a five engine main stage versus a single large engine.

Also, working out the (almost certain) combustion instability issues for a single engine large enough to lift the Saturn V would have been hilariously difficult.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Naturally, but 'MURICAH :911:

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/searagon.htm

:getin:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Tsuru posted:

To think that instead of going into Iraq and Afghanistan we could have built one completely new space shuttle every month for the last 13 years.

Going into Iraq and Afghanistan killed less people than that would have.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

On a related note, I found this the other day (not a joke);

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

SybilVimes posted:

Evolution of the CF-105 Arrow design from the CF-100 Canuck via the CF-103, or so it seems

Yup (grabbed it from a random page on secretprojects)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

West Germany had some interesting ideas for the F-104.

http://www.bredow-web.de/Luftwaffenmuseum/Kampfjets/Starfighter/F-104_Geschichte/f-104_geschichte.html

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

I came across a mockup missile labeled "Genie" at the Museum of Flying in Santa Monica today. Looked a little small to be carrying a nuclear weapon in the tip but I guess it did.

The W48 was crammed into a 155mm shell, so make sense that they could stick a nuke in a rocket. I've heard ~rumors~ that it was possible to do crazy poo poo to get a nuke in a 105, but I've never gotten any hard evidence.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

fknlo posted:

Do we have another even bigger helicopter to carry one of those out when it breaks too?

We rent out Mi-26s.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Dogfighting in Learjets

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Clearly the best option for Canada is a Backfire with AIM-120s hung off it. Twin engines, long range, multirole capability (someone's transiting the northwest passage without permission? NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ardeem posted:

WW2 engines don't get much crazier than the coal burning ramjet.

Lippisch :allears:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Alereon posted:

6. Neither pilot had had stall* or upset recovery training because those conditions were believed to be impossible due to the protections provided by the FAC, so the pilots did not recover appropriately. The aircraft fell for about a minute and then broke up at around 12,000 feet.

*They had had "approach to stall" recovery training, how to return to normal flight after the computer has prevented you from stalling the aircraft, but not training about how to save your aircraft when you have already stalled it.

:staredog:

I've only ever flown a 172, but not doing stall recovery training sounds like a monumentally stupid idea. I mean, holy poo poo, that was one of the things I had drilled into my head the most when getting my PPL.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Captain Postal posted:

An article linked from your link about a millionaire and his family who owned a Catalina flying yacht getting shot by the Saudi's for all being Israeli spies. Apparently even the 9yr old kid was an Israeli spy (according to the Saudis). The Saudi army patrol machine gunned the 11yr olds whilst they were playing in the water the family all survived

Glad to see the Saudis were idiots even 55 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

xergm posted:

Too bad my Blade 120 SR is only 3.75 oz according to the website.

Since it would be free if I registered now, I was kind of liking the idea of getting an FAA tail number for it just for flying around my living room. :haw:

If it had enough spare lift, you could just tape a roll of pennies to it or something.