Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PT6A posted:

Has anyone been working on making an autopilot based on computer vision instead of external navaids? If so, how successful has it been?

Wouldn't the best way to make a vision-based airplane nav system be to just point a camera at the cockpit guages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

The audio recording of the pilot calling it in was hilarious. You'd never know he'd just lost half his available thrust. Talked about it as if it was at best, a mild annoyance.

"We've had uncommanded engine operations." How droll.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cirrus should start using a V-tail just to complete the circle of doctor death

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Russia still making jet amphibs:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

But does it even drift?

They took an amphibian from the 30s and upgraded it with turboprops and it looks amazing

http://www.do-24.com/index.php?home

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

What's the aerodynamic or engineering rationale behind making the fuselage shaped sort of tapering into an edge like that instead of more conventionally rounded?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chine_(aeronautics)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The English liked doing their own thing. Also in the 40s and 50s it wasn't yet clear what was "best" aerodynamically for jet aircraft.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

How can the Royal Navy have not figured that ship stuff out by 1906

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We could have gotten a bunch of awesome turboprop planes if the T-40 hadn't been a big piece of poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Looks like a TA-4, trainer Skyhawk

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Also if it hadn't turned out that making turboprop planes just a little too awesome would give the flight crews diarrhea

From the wikipedia article on the XF-84H:

wikipedia posted:

Lin Hendrix, one of the Republic test pilots assigned to the program, flew the aircraft once and refused to ever fly it again, claiming "it never flew over 450 knots (830 km/h) indicated, since at that speed, it developed an unhappy practice of 'snaking', apparently losing longitudinal stability".[14] Hendrix also told the formidable Republic project engineer, "You aren't big enough and there aren't enough of you to get me in that thing again".

And reputedly this is a sound recording of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItexQxJS9U Not loud enough to make you poo poo yourself, sadly.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 25, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

imagine the XF-11 reborn in the 1950s with twin XT-40 turboprops

Howard could have crashed 100 MPH faster

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There were originally plans for an amphibious version of the C-130, but sadly they never made it past the drawing boards.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Comrade Gorbash posted:

There was also a drawing board only nuclear powered transport, the Lockheed CL-1201, that they designed an airborne carrier version of, but obviously that project never got off the ground.

I had to look that up.

quote:

Span: 1,120 feet
Gross weight: 11.85 million pounds
Endurance: 41 days
Reactor output: 1830 megawatts
Crew: 845
Tactical fighters carried (AAC variant): 22
Lift engines: 182

:aaaaa:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

One of the people I play GTA:Online with is a good enough pilot to regularly nail players on the ground with a prop or landing gear.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Is the Beech Staggerwing one of the prettiest little planes ever, or what?

Can't think of many other biplanes with retractable landing gear. And the Starship:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thinking about the Staggerwing and other retractable-gear biplanes lead me to wonder what the biplane speed record was.

323 MPH, set by a Fiat CR.42:

There aren't many aviation records a mere mortal could break, but I bet a modern design could beat that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That tweet is a good joke. Top Gun 2 is real and yet also a joke.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Those Amerika Bombers would have gotten slaughtered once they reached the east coast and if Germany had somehow managed to hold on until the end of '45, Little Boy would have been dropped on Berlin instead.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

I'd assume the first raid would get away scott-free, and every subsequent raid would get murdered by hundreds of fighters jostling to get the first shot.

Yep. The first raid might get through but they probably wouldn't hit anything important anyway, just propaganda like the Doolittle Raid. The second and subsequent raids, if they were even attempted (we sure didn't try repeating the Doolittle Raid) would get murdered. Also, technology advanced a lot during the war, by 1945 we could have made AA guns with radar directed, computer controlled fire control and radar fused shells. Not quite modern SAMs, but big prop-driven bombers would have been easy targets.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The aircraft that was a lot bigger than I expected it to be was the B-1B

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Don't forget the Beriev Be-200, which you can buy today, unless that's something the sanctions cover:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Delivery McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnYFRoxsKWw
There's just one, somewhat lower than 600ft, but I get Dad's point.

It's like its own air raid siren.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

is it really so hard to believe a runway can be too rough for airliners but still ok for military tactical transport aircraft

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mazz posted:

Is the F-15 really superior to the F-22 at anything? Because I've never heard that before.

Being rained on?

The F-15 has also been endlessly modifiable. Nobody in 1976 would have foreseen the Strike Eagle. Only time will tell if the F-22 can be as flexible.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 5, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/APWestRegion/status/883010806681669633

This is the crash that gave us Wi Tu Low, Ho Lee Fuk, and Sum Ting Wong.

And one of the passengers killed was alive, until squished by a firetruck.

E: The video itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHYg3gleQzA

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 6, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Decatur is particularly egregious

Illinois, Alabama, or Georgia?

trick question, I know

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

because the last time I was in my smelly hometown of Decatur, Illanoise, I got to see the daily Cessna "airliner" land at the airport and take off again within about 20 minutes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Locator posted:

If it was in the US they would have long ago installed a blast fence that would have completely blocked everyone's view of the runway.

Turn that fence into a 50' concrete wall.

Forget to tell the next plane in.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mekilljoydammit posted:

Look, guys, clearly the solution is replicating the situation to find out for sure.

Like using a B-52 bomber to investigate structural failures in B-52s :downs:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PhotoKirk posted:

I think it was to improve the gunner's field of view to spot shipping or submarines.

yep, the side blisters on Navy patrol bombers were largely so the gunners could lean way out and stare at the ocean all day, looking for periscopes or lifeboats or whatever.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

simplefish posted:

Those would be Mittens, the Yak 130

The Mitten. Awww. I want one.

Looks like an Italian company is building a copy of it, the M-346 Master.

Edit: and a version of that plane, called the T-100, is a contender for the USAF T-X program. It probably won't win or the T-X will be canceled but there's a chance the USAF and the Russian Air Force could be using virtually identical advanced trainers someday.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 28, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When Jordan retaliated for that pilot being burned alive a couple years ago, allegedly the king flew a couple combat sorties.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Complete falsehood and propaganda, but it was good for the country to believe that. One of those little white lies 🙂

I did say *allegedly* and that's why. Suppose it can't really be proven either way. Probably propaganda, bet certainly more plausible than Kim's four holes in one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

:gonk: Holy crap, the passengers got wasted and PUSHED the pilot into his controls forcing it into a dive. What the hell.

The crash of the second Soviet Maxim Gorki:

quote:

On 14 December 1942, it crashed after the pilot allowed a passenger to take his seat momentarily and the passenger apparently disengaged the automatic pilot, sending the airplane into a nosedive from an altitude of 500 m (1,600 ft), killing all 36 on board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_ANT-20#ANT-20bis

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My first flight was on a Continental 727. Upgraded to first class, even. I was 10 or 11.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pretty sure every WWII American fighter had, at the very least, a compartment for a duffel bag of the pilot's stuff.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

joat mon posted:

Sweet. Is that a civilianized B-25?

A lot of A-26s and B-25s were converted into executive aircraft after the war, which is why a fair number of them are still flying today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

e.pilot posted:

underwing engines like some kind of a scrub :ussr:

Needs too much runway.