Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I dunno. Regarding AF447, the stick shakers were giving plenty of warning they were in a stall. As a pilot, isn't one of the first things you learn that in a stall situation, assuming you have enough altitude, you should nose down to gain airspeed and come out of the stall? I know one of the pilots was doing just that, but the other pilot critically forgot that basic fact (and kept pulling back on the stick), and the tech in the plane caused his mistake to make the whole thing go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Captain Postal posted:

I know a crew member who's 777-200 landed on fire (it was a tiny fire in an oven or something, no damage to the aircraft but enough set off alarms). The fire crews all happened to be out in full gear with their trucks already because they were running a drill at the same time by chance. The pilots reported an emergency to ATC, did an emergency landing, taxied right next to the fire trucks. It still took 10 minutes for the crew to respond. They had to finish their drill for what to do when an aircraft is on fire before they could respond to the aircraft that was actually on fire.

To be fair to the fire fighters, the aircraft didn't look like it was in distress. The pilots had trouble raising the fire crew directly. Not sure what ATC were doing about it though

I've seen plenty of episodes of Air Crash Investigation where even on a badly damaged or on-fire plane the pilot and co-pilot stay in the cockpit for 5-10 minutes completing a checklist. Usually it at least involves shutting down engines, but I'm sure there's more.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Inacio posted:

I seriously need to fly on a 380 someday. Everytime I see anything about it I get butterflies in the stomach :allears:

e: I just wish they made it break Mach 1 for no reason except "inacio wants it"

Malaysia flies A380s. And there's even a chance you'll break Mach 1 as the pilot is nose diving it into the ocean!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Hardly the weirdest!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

drgitlin posted:

That's not that weird - they're both owned by the same Indian dude (for the time being, he's about to go broke).

And that's fine. Would you fly on Bud Light Air though if it existed?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

drgitlin posted:

General Electric makes airplane engines and TV shows. Your point is what?

The original post was juxtaposing that Pan Am flew airplanes and ran trains.

I asserted that flying airplanes and bottling beer was stranger, especially in keeping the name and branding exactly the same between the two companies.

Finally, few people know or care that GE owns NBC. Maybe you'd pick up on it if you're a 30 Rock fan? That fact is easy to miss because NBC is not called GETV. But the owner of Kingfisher air and beer chose to keep the same name for both.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 18, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I just flew a 787-8 in business on LAN. Easiest 11 hours in a plane I ever did. Our seats were lie-flat but I never even reclined fully because the travel wasn't something I wanted to escape from, unlike other planes I've flown on. In comparison to Lufthansa's terrible not-quite lie-flat last-generation seats in business on the A380, the 787 is like a breath of fresh air, literally I think because the higher pressure makes for such a pleasing experience. What most people also don't mention is that the 787 is almost eerily quiet during cruise, and even during take-off under full throttle my wife and I could chat with each other using our regular (not raised) voices.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Is that arresting cable (or whatever it is) the only thing holding his plane up? I'd be making GBS threads bricks.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It's an Airbus. Any guesses as to whether the automated systems helped the crash along, as they have in so many other Airbus flights?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

bull3964 posted:

So, I'm not fully versed on how the doors to the cockpit are locked. If someone leaves the cockpit, do they have a key to get in and out and there's an additional deadbolt to fully bar entry or do they leave the door unlocked for the time it takes them to go to the bathroom or something?

Electronic keypads on lots of flights, I think.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

No joke though I would love to work for the NTSB.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Nice piece of fish posted:

Didn't even know there were diesel airplanes.

Soaring coal.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

If this isn’t aeronautical insanity I don’t know what is.

https://youtu.be/_VPvKl6ezyc

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Drinking on flights is expensive garbage if your goal is to sleep.

Benadryl - take 2 while taxiing and sleep blissfully for the next 4-6 hours.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Stop analyzing it and admit that the guy is living his dream. It might even be my dream if I didn't have a slight fear of death.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

There couldn't possibly be public cell service that covered Area 51......could there?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Spaced God posted:

Hi yes howdy I think I found the definition of aeronautical insanity
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVFK5mFF6uS/?taken-by=redbullairforce
:stare:

Amazing how fake the camera stabilization makes it look. Just like a low budget movie from 50 years ago, I reckon.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Ola posted:

Single seats, sure. The passengers go in the external fuel tanks. Business class means it has padding.

Lie flat seating for everyone!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I saw it posted elsewhere. We need to restart moon programs so we don't run out of people who've walked on the moon

OK, slightly dumb question: what is the 787-10...for? In terms of passenger capacity, it is near the 777, and pilots can fly both types with the same training, anyway.

To me it seems mostly like a technology demonstrator.

Fancy lighting, lots more carbon composites than usual, more efficient engines, better atmospherics on the plane, lithium ion batteries for mains and backup electrics, fancy windows, etc.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Holy poo poo. If they hadn’t scrubbed so much speed I wonder if it would have been able to get back into level flight with a tap like that!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, ground stops at LGA are nothing out of the ordinary. People will blame it on the shutdown, but any other day it could be weather or too many airplanes or Bob called in sick.

Bob, Tom, Joe, Sal, Liz, Amy, and Ed the flight controller all called in "sick" because they aren’t being paid.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Ola posted:

To be or not to be. That is <10 ms.

His friend/mate was right behind him. He must be so sad right now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

I don’t always fly into terrain, but when I do, I choose controlled.

Boeing response: “do as you C FIT”

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Hmm, nice call. I'm going with "opening montage of happy-go-lucky times of joy, just flying the P51 for fun, before poo poo Gets Real"

Maverick is cruising in his P51 when a sudden radio transmission blares out: Be advised two unidentified bogies at FL46 traveling at Mach 2 are vectored on your position. Jets appear to be Russian. Estimated time of intercept is two minutes. Return to base immediately.

Maverick can feel deep in his gut that these are the guys. These are the guys responsible for Goose. GOOOOOOOOOSEEEEE he howls, as he punches the throttle and pulls up sharply. He flips open the console to reveal the emergency JATO system he had installed for this very day. His sunglasses flare with the light of a thousand beach ball sessions with Goose that would never come to be. He flips the switch and is punched back into his seat, rocketing into the heavens to meet his fate and perhaps, see his old friend. Time to pay, you Russian scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Animal posted:

are you guys tracking the delivery flight for the last 747? Little easter egg in the route
https://flightaware.com/live/flight...Lquvhx3jksXE5BA

Nice! Long live the queen.