Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think that's an easier problem to solve than figuring out how to fit two VW Beetles into a space barely large enough for one. A system to allow a degree or two of slewing, paired to a laser/EOIR/radar rangefinder doesn't seem too outrageous.

Edit: YEAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FunOne posted:

Couldnt you put the ammo drums in tbe nacelles and just have the belt feed into the center dual guns?

Or is the loading and unloading assembly also huge?

Everything about the system is fairly huge...I feel like that would introduce more possible points of failure. If we were seriously designing this thing it'd be worth looking at though.

That top one is what comes out of the M61 in every other tactical jet the USAF uses except the F-35.

:fap:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 14, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Craptacular posted:

The only problem is the A-20 designation is already taken.

We can reuse that, it's pre-1962.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FunOne posted:

Not seeing anything in the north east, but vegas is sunny, calm, and at a 4+ hr inbound hold for OTHER/OTHER.

Apparently the tower is/was down for some reason.

Edit: :argh: Next page!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

They only had a huge pile of cash because they mortgaged absolutely everything they had just before poo poo hit the fan.

They also didn't take any TARP money; they took other loans because the banks weren't offering anything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Minto Took posted:

Yeah, I've been on enough airline flights where a few times the landing pilot fucks up the flare.

On the E-3 there are five seats in the cockpit. If you don't have enough flight crew, one of the mission crew will get Seat 5 for takeoff, landing, and refueling, to have an extra set of eyes/let you have a look outside the airplane for once. One brilliant controller thought she knew what was going on better than the pilot during landing, and felt like the descent was not going well and yelled "FLARE!"

That triggered a go-around and she never sat Seat 5 again.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 24, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh yeah. Even in the weapons flight people were like "What the gently caress."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

Hey, maybe she had a concern?
I wonder what her nickname was after that?

I don't think she got a callsign out of that, but I'm not entire sure at this point.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

(part of) The back fell off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

The Yankee escape system seems like a great way to gently caress up your back.

That's true for ejection in general.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

priznat posted:

The trouble is maybe one out of x times it doesn’t come up smoothly and then things get hosed up, schedule wise.

From working with technical systems a golden rule is if it is running as it should for god’s same don’t gently caress with it!!

And here we are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm really glad I scrolled down before posting that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

Can this become a discussion about aerial refueling and reloading of heavy bombers by smaller, short-range carrier aircraft that attach like parasites?

How many corners can you cut in the reloading process, such that reloading and take place in a reasonably short period of time as the bomber loiters over a carrier?

I'm assuming that a place to start would be to have the parasite reloader attached from the top of the heavy bomber so that's the loading process doesn't have to work against gravity.

Lots of reasons.

You're gonna send a bomber and crew over the target, bring them part of the way back, reload them in the air, and send them right back in? First off, that's hosed up and the crews won't appreciate it. Second, that's probably a stupid-long mission duration and you're bumping hard against human endurance. Probably aircraft reliability, too.

Basically, you're trying to use a plane to bomb the inside of another plane, but not have the bombs go off the first time. Only the second time. This seems questionable. From a technical standpoint, I'm not sure how plausible it would be anyway. You're going to drop what, a 4-pack of 500 lb bombs into a B-17? So that's 2000 lbs of bombs SLAMMING into place. First off, hot drat that's gonna be a structural challenge to build an airframe to survive the impact. Second, it has to not explode...sure, safeties will probably work most of the time. If they don't, that's at least two planes and crews you just lost. Third, it has to not jam after that.

Next point: you're going to have to build a nearly B-17 sized aircraft to carry a B-17's bomb load to reload that B-17. And train a crew. And you're going to need a plane and crew FOR EVERY bomber you've got out there. If you can do that, you're much better off just building more B-17s and sending them downrange on more missions, or in greater numbers per mission to improve the odds of hitting the target. If you're sending 250 bombers downtown, then bringing them 2/3 of the way home, rendezvousing with 250 MORE planes to reload the bombers, then turning back for a second run at the target or to another target, you've drastically increased the complexity of the mission and your logistics. It would be far easier and more practical to just send 500 bombers downtown at once, or 250 now and 250 a few hours later.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Is this relevant yet?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bloops posted:

real quick what's that book about the US Air Force operating russian aircraft out of Nevada called again?

Red Eagles.

EFB, but this has reminded me to order a copy. There's one in the F-15 squadron here that I see all the time, but I never have my phone handy to do this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Xenoborg posted:

Anyone know the background on where these names come from? They sound like random garbage meant to mean nothing, but then they go and use the same words over and over like they do mean something. Like if I hear "Have <blank>", I immediately think, oh thats a USAF black project.

It's all of the above, basically. Sometimes they mean things, sometimes they're completely random, sometimes a term is intentionally used because it usually means a thing but in this case it's a misdirection.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

for unlimited bomber range without all those pesky nuclear radiation problems why don't we just use a microwave solar system where a giant satellite beams power to the airplane continuously

you'd need at least three or four satellites to ensure constant global coverage but flying at higher altitudes would mean less atmospheric losses so it's win-win

Edit: yikes huge

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The current U-2s were all built in the 80s. These aren't your grandpa's U-2s.

And yeah they fly regularly. Those pilots have training requirements just like everyone else. They'll do a big loop hitting waypoints, and loitering near ranges like Nellis, Fallon, etc, to get some mission training and/or integration with other platforms, then go home.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bloops posted:

You talking about MARSA (military aircraft assumes responsibility for separate of aircraft)? We called that for A/R ops.

There's MARSA and there's also like wartime type responses where the military will just switch that civilian poo poo off.

For those not following, MARSA=military assumes responsibility for separation of aircraft. Basically more than one formation is going to be operating in the same area (a refueling track, a MOA, or potentially an undefined area but I've never seen that) and are accepting that ATC won't be monitoring or providing any safety information. It's a standard thing used every day.

Edit: That flak video is loving awesome.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 30, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This has an AF officer. Close enough. Also a true story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Curious to see how the routine changes. They're gaining quite a bit of power, but losing maneuverability.

Edit; V :lol:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 6, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Looks like Kiel is right between the Minnow MOA over Lake Michigan and the Volk MOA to the west, so it's probably an ideal spot for a tanker track.

Are there any Navy/Marine fighter units in the area? Omega is probe & drogue only, so they're not working with Volk Field fighters.

Edit: There are several tanker tracks in that area, mostly east-west (and all of them quite long, 50+nm), with a couple of shorter north-south tracks over Michigan proper.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 12, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bloops posted:

God an unmolested 707 is a gorgeous aircraft. Honestly I would rank it up there with a Spitfire and a Mustang in terms of sheer visual appeal.

It's what an airliner is supposed to look like.

Edit: This is one of the first two E-3s. 71-1407 and 1408 were the testbeds. Originally equipped with competing radars, this jet carried the winning AN/APY-1. I'm not sure which jet was actually delivered first, I think it might've been 1408 based on some old-timers talking about it. They were modified undelivered airliners, the rest of the E-3 run was purpose-built AWACS jets.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 13, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bloops posted:

I flew both. They were terrific jets. The new build 80s models weren’t amazing.

1407 was my favorite. :) 0009 was a steaming pile, and the last one off the line for the USAF.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

The military has a lot of medical and logistical capability. It’s not just a uniform block of weapons and shooters. (And a shooter can work a thermometer and carry supplies and do some data entry etc)

You know EXACTLY where they're putting that thermometer the instant the boss is out of the room.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Generation Internet posted:

Today I learned that the Tutor doesn't have a zero zero ejection seat, gently caress

My guess has been they were trying to get enough altitude to safely punch out, the left wing stalled, pilot managed to finish the roll and get them upright before getting out...just not enough altitude at that point.

Edit:

MrChips posted:

They are zero-altitude, low-speed seats; 90 knots is the minimum speed needed for ground ejection.

But yes I will agree, that a sinking, low-altitude ejection at a high angle of bank is challenging, even for a fully modern seat, never mind a nearly 60-year old design.

Well maybe not, I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Well Jerry is still flying.

There's only one way Jerry stops flying.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bloops posted:

I’ve had about 3-4 TCAS alerts crossing east over the Knik Arm to Elmendorf AFB.

Lot of GA dudes getting a little too casual on their altitude for arriving and departing Air Force traffic.

I don't know how many HATRs we had in the desert. I do know that not a single one of them stuck because every C-17 pilot in Afghanistan apparently figured our directions were suggestions and hey fucknuts it's all recorded. Drones had the reputation for getting the barely-competent new pilots, but I'm convinced that in the mid 2000s it was actually C-17. gently caress like 75% of them right in the eye.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LibCrusher posted:

If I had a dollar every time I saw a hunter or a shadow rapidly filling my windscreen because they were in the wrong loving pie slice and not talking to anyone...

That's true, they're amazing at loving up a CAS stack for sure. It's gotta be an entire phase of training.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

E-6s have been pretty active over these past two days: https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae041c

They move regularly, and we're heading into a holiday weekend. Lot of bases will probably have reduced manning for maintenance and support for a newly-arriving jet and crew.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wait the gear collapsed on the takeoff roll (or after touchdown, same incredulity) and they got it off the ground?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This poo poo still happens. We had an F-15E fly right into the loving ground practicing strafing about ten years ago. That was one of only two times I've watched JPRC kick off for real (the other was Bergdahl).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never heard that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5Dxizy4ZE

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ok, weird question: Was a course like that intended to make navigation easier, or was the more efficient curved course (I have no idea what it's called) not yet discovered/recognized?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Midjack posted:

Big strong daddy president likes Russia and doesn’t like China as much so I give the edge to Moscow in getting past CFIUS.

A new hotel construction permit in soon-to-be cleared land in Hong Kong could change that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:golfclap:

I didn't even realize Bugatti was VW-owned, much less that they're built in France. It's Alsace though, so if the Germans really want to take over production they have a couple of historical options.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn I love these guys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I bought a similar shirt and I wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Midjack posted:

I feel like a lot of Yellow Peril agitprop commits the mistake of extending the piracy trends seen in consumer goods to all aspects of indigenous industry in China.

It's not that gross of a mistake, given the almost routine nature of defense hacks over the past 20 years. Yes the "whole cloth" argument is nonsense, but the notion that it should just be ignored or accepted as fine that China does beg/borrow/steal western military technology for the purpose of countering western militaries is probably even dumber. "Everyone else does it" is not a reasonable ending to the conversation.