Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

co199 posted:

Isn't it good if military hardware leaks like a sieve? Or is that just helicopters?

Seems to be true for B-17s (landing gear well, #2 engine nacelle, Memphis Belle)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

7of7 posted:

I'm hoping someone with a better knowledge of airliners can answer a question about crosswind landings. It seems in videos like this that the wheel bogies on many airliners are somehow kept parallel to the runway during crosswind landings. However, I've done a bit of googling, and read a few airliners.net threads, and found that only the B-52 was actually designed to align the wheel bogies with the runway during such a landing. It seems pretty clear in the video above around 0:24(also shown below) that the A-340's wheels are aligned with the runway.

Can anyone settle for me whether or not any major civilian airliners are capable of turning the wheel bogies to align with the runway during a crosswind landing? I suspect the answer is no and some other mechanism such as simple inertia is at work in the video.

It's an optical illusion - it's the main gear hang you're seeing. I can see what you mean, it does look like they're rotated off centerline...but they're not.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

darknrgy posted:

Aerospace Insanity: send space toilet repair instructions, thx

Edit: Also Cady Coleman is a SPACE MILF

Played a flute duet with Ian Anderson...from space.

http://pcsedu.com/blog/?p=1440

cool meter=pegged

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

grover posted:

For federal travel, we're required to complete a travel cost comparison worksheet, where we compare the costs of various modes of travel, and then select the least expensive one. Over 8 hours of driving, hotel/per diem costs nearly always tip in favor of air travel. Below that, it depends almost entirely on how overpriced the flights are on whether it's cheaper to fly or drive. But considering even the shortest flight involves driving to the airport, paying for parking, at least 2 hours wasted in early arrival/layovers, and then renting a car and driving to your destination, driving wins out for virtually anything under 3-5 hours.

Unfortunately, this policy completely ignores lost productivity and comptime as a factor, concentrating ONLY on direct travel costs, and we end up stuck on 2-hop flights that depart/arrive at inconvenient times instead of a direct flight that's $10 more expensive in ticket costs but gets us there 3 hours sooner and entirely during normal working hours, and for several hundred dollars cheaper with labor costs considered. Your tax dollars at work!

monkeytennis posted:

Isn't there already a 737 derivative replacing the P-3?

Aww hell no

... and more from the Millville NJ car/air-show last summer...

Old (well, repro):

New(er):

and together:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 20, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Boomerjinks posted:

Saw this the other day and thought it was neat.

Full size here

obligatory "of course it's a composite of planes taking off from different runways from different distances and angles"

This is definitely in line to be a new desktop. Fabulous.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Telephoto compression makes this more :drat: than it really is:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

I believe this, because I remember reading in Ben Rich's autobiography (this is the guy who ran the Skunk Works roughly between the U-2 and F-117 eras) that the paint actually turns kind of a steel-blue when the plane is at its cruising speed.

By the way, I highly recommend the book, which I think is just called "Skunk Works". The whole episode surrounding the first real radar tests of the F-117 mockup is excellent. Something about using the McDonnell Douglas range, and Lockheed having to design a stealth pole to put their model on because the model's return was smaller than that of the support it was on, and the McD personnel saying something like "jesus christ, if they can do that with a goddamn POLE, what can they do with their airplane?"

The best part of that story was when they did a radar test on the F-117 mockup & got a return...they wigged out a bit and the McD rep was unimpressed...until they checked visually downrange and found that a bird was sitting on the model.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gaaahhh....I can't find the photos (yet) I shot at Willow Grove NAS (PA) back in the mid-80s. They had a Sea Dart and a Seiran parked right along the fence on Rt. 611, along with a number of other planes.

The Seiran is now down at the Smithsoniam, I believe in line to be restored. The Japanese want it bad, since all theirs went down with their subs.

Don't know what happened to the Sea Dart.

(edit) whoops...looks like they finished the Seiran: http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19630308000

(edit2) arg....for all those years I thought it was a Seiran. It's a Rex: (here's someone else's pictire from that time):

http://www.aviastar.org/air/japan/kawanishi_n1k.php

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 17, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm guessing you'd want to beef up the crank bearings along with adding that extra spark plug/ignition circuit.

Didn't the VW motor start life as an aircraft powerplant?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gotta love the future 20% discount :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Every aircraft should have a picture-window-lined living room as the nose.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

According to some random hipster, having this as computer wallpaper is "retro" and "ironic"
http://i.imgur.com/M6P6i.png

There is nothing ironic about my love of old airplanes <:mad:>

"Retro" I get.

"ironic" is just a mis-use of the word.

Saved for myself, btw. Thanks :)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

AT-6 at Millville (NJ) airport

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

TA-134? He used to park that thing at Summit all the time when I was down there working.

If it's the "Cumberland Belle," then yup, less nose cone:

Actually no, not only the nosecone but the wings aren't painted yellow.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 5, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nebakenezzer posted:

History = awesome

Thank you again for these. Fascinating.

The last few photos have inspired me to post these, which I shot in 1998 at Geneseo Airport:

Bonus image of my kid (now 18) with an AN-2 which had a cylinder problem (note the bucket).

They even let him into the cockpit

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wow...never heard of this! Can't wait to see what they find

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A buddy of mine took a redeye from Dulles to Harrisburg & that they delayed takeoff so that the Shuttle flight could land. He watched it from his window seat from the tarmac. Lucky gently caress.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Great photos, thanks

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

With the shuttle attached, the operational range of the modified 747-100 that they use to carry the shuttle drops from 5500nmi to 1000nmi.

Drag coefficient of a billboard

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Plus, law of averages is now on your side. :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ola posted:

The point (of this utterly hypothetical internet invention) is to save lives that would otherwise expire helplessly in the lower stratosphere, and the risk of an automated descent is very similar to the risks of a controlled emergency descent with regards to other aircraft. As for what happens once it's established at 10000 but none of the occupants are recovering...well, that's enough morbid internet speculation for now!

For light aircraft: kill the engines & pop a chute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXQKaxp6Rlk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 25, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Here are a couple of Goon RivuletsofGlop's photos from his time at Mildenhall in the 80s. Because he's too loving lazy to post them himself. I even scanned the damned things for him & everything. Of course, he couldn't be bothered to give me the negatives, so the quality sucks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

What one are we looking at here?

Bottom, from left to right:

Something Rutan-ish
B-25
B1 money pit
C-5?
DC-3/C-47

Top:

Harrier? and an F-14?

(edit) that's a Marauder? That greenhouse don't look right...

(edit2) I'm going blind...Invader... and also note the dihedral in the horizontal stabilizer

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 28, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Electronaut posted:

My jump from a B-17's bomb bay is still my favorite.

Please tell me that you have film of this somewhere

(edit) :flashfap: (in low voice)
show me more

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 2, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

B-17 :toot:

Bonus B-25 humour

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'll bite (again)

VVV si VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 2, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Seconded, I've been thinking it but not saying it. You, sir, are a stone fool if you do not put these together into a MS. and fire it off to every publisher you can find in the Writer's Guide that does history, and military history.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Geneseo County airshow, 1997

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

grover posted:

AH-1S Cobra... with the engine hatch open! Always a joy to see some of the more important bits as opposed to just the skin.

What are the odds?

VVV SWAG: Throttle VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 16, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Thee airport at Mazatlan used to have a traffic light at the entry to the security area. If you walked through the gate & it turned red, you & your luggage got thoroughly searched.

Usually it stayed green.

This was pre-9/11, btw.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good god. Glad to hear they all made it; the pilot looks like he has a serious head injury.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Muzzle velocity sucked and you can't really walk 75mm rounds all over something like you can with a 50 cal.

I wonder if anyone thought about sighting a .50 with the 75mm so you could tickle the target area until you were dialed in, then pull the lanyard.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

dayman posted:

We were lucky enough to see this early Navy plane in flight. It was wild. Apparently the waving is ill advised because it takes a lot of muscle to work the controls but I'm sure the pilot knew what he was doing.

He still landed safely.

Thanks to my wife who took most of these photos while I was yakking with the docent.

That is a labor of love by (now retired) airline pilot & Naval aviator Bob Coolbaugh. There were no real plans, so he made his own from scaled photos & bits & pieces. I was priveleged to talk to his wife while he flew in a 10-MPH crosswind at Millville last summer.

(his account of flying his creation here): http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38429

kudoes, your wife took great shots.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 27, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Captain Postal posted:

As the old guys say, it's when they stop leaking that you worry. That means you've run out of oil.

B-17 gear well behind #2 engine. I had to move very carefully to avoid destroying my clothing.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 29, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shai-Hulud posted:

So, what plane did this thing fall off of?

F6F Hellcat?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Leviathor posted:

Bob Odegaard died in a crash while practicing for the Valley City air show this evening.

https://www.newsdakota.com/2012/09/07/breaking-pilot-dies-in-airplane-crash-at-barnes-county-airport

Died doing what he loved.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nebakenezzer posted:

From page 9; this deserves a repost.

Well, the only one I ever saw was at Geneseo County airport and wore a bucket

plus my son flew it (at least, he thought so)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GTi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vQOY3d89JE

This old girl will be making her first flight after an 8 year long rebuild this Saturday. I believe she will be the only flying Mosquito in the world.

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured-article/warbird-ready-to-fly-new-zealand-mosquito-to-fly-on-saturday-september-29-2012.html

https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs

Any kiwi goons who want to check it out it's happening at Ardmore airfield, first flight at 10:30am.

:flashfap: My all-time favoritist aircraft! :flashfap:

GODDAMN it's nearly Down Under. poo poo.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Takeoff with zero flaps?

and those photos...that video...

I'll be right back

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Colonel K posted:

Wholeheartedly agree. It's just a change to dress up history to make it more palatable.

It looks like a Canadian Mosquito is coming along too - http://vicair.net/projects/mosquito/august-2012

Now we're talking! :yayclod:

I was taught how to develop Ektachrome at Pitt in the early '80s, to make slides for instructors for class presentations. Seven steps, rigid time & temperature controls. Pain in the rear end. Even so, I could do it again, if I had the chemicals.

My father shot only Ektachrome 64.

My mother, grandfather & older sister, 1959.

An ageless format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

slidebite posted:

B52 just dropping by the Ranger

No matter how many times I see that, it always looks like it's diving into the drink.

That, and :drat: some pucker-y pilotage