Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AnimalChin posted:

gently caress me that's pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

I think you mean 100% laws of physics and newscorp bullshit. You can throw a burning match into that fuel and it won't ignite.
I think he means turns into a fireball a quarter second after hitting the loving ground.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

gently caress YEAH AARDVARK gently caress YEAH
Pretty impressive amount of aerodynamic fuckery going on here :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

So wait, did the satellite actually catch that Sikorsky in flight?
That's not satellite imagery.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

(which wouldn't be totally bad, they could get across the Atlantic in a few days.)
Yes but with the amount of vacation days that Americans get, they'd still need to hop right back on the boat after arriving.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Plane cancelled? Oh well, what are you going to do? Bitch and moan like a child?
Drink like a fish more like.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Linedance posted:

no liquids over 100ml.

it is frozen sauce with meat.
Actually, frozen stuff is explicitely allowed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Well, except for Credible Sport.
Credible Sport does have the added bonus of burning you alive at the end tho.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

What? I direct you to the A380. All fly-by-wire (because that never fails), multiple data links (not needed, but why not?) all braided into one strand so that a single piece of debris will cut ALL of them at once instead of damaging one and leaving redundant systems intact as a back-up.
2 different pieces of shrapnel cut the engine controls in both redundant routes.

grover posted:

But it was all caused by a single small oil leak.
You're being your usual phenomenally obtuse self.
The consequences of the oil leak weren't a result of the failure mode. It was spectacularly bad luck.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 3, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

Here's how it works (at least to my understanding):

Say you're looking for a trip and you browse Airline A's website, your tracking cookie will store your search query for later. Now, you go check Airline B's website. Their site sees you have a cookie from Airline A
This is not technically feasible, in addition to what grovski said about market forces not working the way you understand.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Bombay Sapphire and tonic: you can chat with anybody now.
I refuse to board a plane without a beer in me if it's after lunchtime. Pretty sure that technically makes me an alcoholic. DGAF.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 13, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

It's a poor analogy (not the least of which because it's an indirect car analogy) but if you were carrying something in a pickup, would you rather hold it in place in the bed using a couple of cargo straps or by wrapping a shitload of twine around it?
The answer to that question (and the original) is entirely dependent on the failure more and safety margin.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Supersonic ejection's best case scenario is probable crew survival upon landing. It makes no further promises.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The grass-crisper.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It only took like 15 years, very unfaa-like

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

grover posted:

I discovered (while trying to pull up weather radar in a friend's plane) that my cell phone doesn't work very well from the air anyhow- lost the signal pretty quickly while climbing. I figure the antennas are designed to direct the energy horizontally, where people are; get above them, and you lose the signal. Kinda curious what experiences other people have had with this.
That's the way they're supposed to work. You can't get very high at all before losing connectivity, and the higher through put data protocols go first.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Really, Lockheed?
"enter development in demonstrator form as soon as 2018" It's really just trolling for funding.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

I mean their claim that this could ever be anything you could describe as affordable without snickering.
That's what I mean. Minimum 4 years of lockheed R&D to get to a possible demonstrator? Sure friend, I bet that'll be just peanuts.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't an increasing number of subs also fire AA rocketry while submerged? That's gotta be fun.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Then you know theres a sub there so mission accomplished!
Shittest engagement window in the history of poo poo, though!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Miyazaki's not like that, and actually caught some flak for it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

But the rear door opens up/down

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

I am glad to see this although Dublin itself doesn't have a ton of appeal, but I assume it's an OK as a stop over to get to the rest of Europe?
You shut that whore mouth.

And from berlin you could do the UK or Scandinavia easily enough if you're on an American style ultra high speed tour of the old world.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It'd be kind of ironic to not make your landing after en engine loss.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

335, not 355.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe in the 70's.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MEGADONG 5000

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And then they failed to follow engine restart procedure, and then they failed to glide to 1 of 3 airports in range.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

grover posted:

If I were to get one negligible-cost perk on a 6 hour flight, I'd prefer it be a sandwich.
Yeah who doesn't want a minimum price bidder airline sandwich.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Barnsy posted:

Snecma are currently producing the engines that power the Rafale. They certainly haven't built other VTOL engines though...
Aircraft, not engine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A bil is like what, 12 hours of war funding at current rates?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Davin Valkri posted:

Well, he's famous (for a bunch of things, but in this context) for talking about the dangers of the military industrial complex in a speech. Something to do with that, I'm guessing.
He warns about military spending in general in his "chance for peace" speech, and against the corrupting nature of the defense industry/establishment in his farewell address. Both are still eerily relevant today to all but the most jingoistic morons.

quote:

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, medicine isn't quite so localized.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BBC says 1 hijacker arrested and all crew and passengers safe on the ground according to Swiss 5-0

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Melted Tarp posted:

I believe the pilots have the ability to drop masks manually, not just via pressure trigger. So perhaps he was giving the impression that the cabin was depressurized to keep everyone compliant.
I'm pretty sure the first hand account mentioned getting lightheaded until he put his mask on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

That sure looks like an Iranian mock-up...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Have+Blue

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://i.imgur.com/hBw0ACq.jpg

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What the gently caress is going on with that wing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EU regs got rid of all before-surcharge-prices advertising. :love:big government:love:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

That's not even the half of it. You know how a one way fare costs about the same as a return one (so they get the extra seat)? I've been told they're banning that too. You've gotta love a government that actually does poo poo for people rather than business.
What's kinda funny is that the big EU government actually does pretty little but decide how to sponsor useless farming, but the Commissioners can be pretty effectiive (I loving the VVD and everything it stands for, but Neelie Croes did a pretty awesome job).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

S-3 Viking ejection system. 4 seater so you're seeing 4 simultaneous ejections there.
Holy poo poo the guys in the back look like puppets with no strings.