Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
So I hear this U-2 is a hard airplane to fly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eamnTyfkUBY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

What kind of airplane is that?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

I think the big sticking points with auto engines are the complexity of their systems, a lack of redundancy in their systems, and the lack of a guaranteed parts supply. Owners of Mooney PFM and Diamond DA-42 aircraft found out the hard way that when the automotive engine supplier no longer wants to provide parts there's nothing you can do.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Lilbeefer posted:

wanna see this

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Lockheed-Martin-C-130J/1340854/L/&sid=22a2cedec5cc54b620fab9a7cd1c7f80

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

chutwig posted:

Can anyone identify this plane? I was visiting an abbey in Yorkshire yesterday when this plane buzzed the abbey at a few hundred feet. Other than getting this relatively lucky shot and knowing it's not a Spitfire, I have no idea what it could be. You can faintly make out what I think are RAF roundels on each wing.

I think it's a Short Tucano.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Geoj posted:

Any idea what these are? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.169389,-110.866619&spn=0.00063,0.00097&z=21 Obviously experimental aircraft of some kind, just kind of surprising to see them in a boneyard.

Looks like the Lockheed D-21/M-21 drone.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

I'd check out other aircraft on aircraftdealer.com or in the Trade-A-Plane. $7k sounds way low, I would think that if it were in flyable condition it would be worth in the $20k range on the low side, given the other aircraft of that vintage for sale.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

slidebite is Canadian :laugh:

Kelowna also owns several type certificates, including a huge Convair 580 variant, the 5800. They're capable of doing some serious airframe modifications.

Thirteen foot stretch!

I love the 5800 and used to see them occasionally around Vancouver when I worked out at the airport.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

There was a plane crash at Vancouver airport today :(. It sounds like a King Air had something go wrong and turned back part way enroute to Kelowna.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NTA204/history/20111027/2230Z/CYVR/CYLW

Pictures of the wreck:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/gallery/html/bc_crash_111027/photo_0.html

It sounds like one person died, but there were 7-8 people who walked away.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

movax posted:

e: wow the Wiki article on the Il-76 doesn't have a mention of the Candid that crashed in Serbia carrying two Jastrebs.

I thought that this reference was it?

Wikipedia posted:

On 19 August 1996, Il-76T Spair Airlines Flight PAR-3601, crashed and exploded while trying to land at Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport killing 12 crew members

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

It's about as long as a Boeing 757-200.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

The US Navy's own Human Centipede:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

blambert posted:

This is like the best / worst idea ever.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc7_1338974625

He's posted a number of videos of his flying adventures on Youtube. Here he is having fun in crosswinds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqkSx9d1_8

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Polymerized Cum posted:

Identify this aircraft, please.

Mustang II from Mustang Aeronautics

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

C-130 refuelling two CH-53E's that are each carrying 2 Humvee's

(click for huge)

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Gau posted:

They're close to right, the aircraft in the Expendables was a Widgeon, the big brother of the pictured Goose.

The Widgeon is the smallest of the Grumman amphibians. The one in-between the Goose and Albatross in size is the Mallard.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Phanatic posted:

The whims of Congress. ITAR is loving retarded. For a few years strong encryption was on the list as a munition, so you couldn't even send a floppy disc containing a copy of PGP overseas without risking prosecution. It's one of those things where the law's so labyrinthine and arbitrary that is is for all intents and purposes impossible to comply with it, everybody's probably in violation to some extent, and everyone occasionally gets charged with violating it.

What blows my mind about the PGP situation is that only the software was considered a munition, the source code printed on paper was not. So to export the first version of PGP outside the US they printed the source code out, mailed the source code hard copies in chunks to various people in Europe who OCR'd it back in, rebuilt it, and put it up for general international distribution.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

I had the same thing happen to me when I was working on my PPL. He was descending from above and behind with an extra 10-15 knots while I was entering the control zone and came about that close to me. Neither I, my instructor were too happy about it but there wasn't anything we could do but fly the airplane.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

There's a regularly-used waterbombing Martin Mars that uses Wasp Major engines, I guess they have found some source of fuel for it?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

MrChips posted:

Also, there is a thought down the road (say, in 5-10 years or so) that when Westjet will begin renewing its fleet (almost certainly with 737MAXs) that they might abandon the -7 size and go strictly with the -8 and -9 (coincidentally, rumour has it that Westjet is soon to convert a number of their existing 737-700 and -800 orders into larger-still -900ERs), which would seriously complicate route planning if they didn't have a smaller aircraft available.

I didn't even know there was a 737-900ER and I was somewhat floored to see that it is within spitting distance of the 757-200 in terms of capacity. It's probably less entertaining (or more entertaining, depending on your vantage point) to fly at capacity from Denver than the 757 though.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I really do wonder where mach homebuilts are. The BD-10 never broke mach.

It did break into a lot of pieces though.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Nothing is going to contain a turbine disk

This is a turbine disc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKB-FIpA5qs

That guy has some neat videos in his stream, including the restoration and assembly of an Orenda Iroquois engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1NpX-tqqKk

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Cygni posted:

A friend of mine is a pilot in regional jets and said they take off at something like 50% throttle because the things are so over-engined. Told me they do ridiculous take offs on ferry flights, just for shits.

That's how Pinnacle Airlines Flight 3701 happened

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

I always think the YC-14 looks small, like it's the size of a business jet, because the large size of the engine nacelles relative to the fuselage, but it's powered by CF6's and has an all-up weight similar to the 757.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Transporting the A-12 to Area 51

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Holy gently caress :aaaaa:

It sounds like it was carrying military vehicles. Maybe one broke its tiedowns and rolled to the back?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

How about a P-51 executing an overhead break approach for your viewing pleasure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVGIISlPsI&t=5m

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

Well I don't think the flaps are as much of a concern when you've got one of your three good engines at flight idle. FRED doesn't fly well on two engines, and it doesn't fly at all fully loaded on two engines.

e: They were still a little ways out from the runway...someone with more knowledge of heavies and/or access to a C-5 -1 can correct me if I'm wrong but when you are flying an engine out approach (or two in this case :lol:) you generally want to keep speed up and drag to a minimum, which means minimum/no flaps setting until a landing is assured and you can slow for touchdown.

The last thing you want to do is be at full flaps while still over a mile from the runway, which is what these bozos were doing.

from the 1:45 mark posted:

A) What are you saying?
B) Why aren't we doing 145?
A) Oh, we're not? I thought we were
B) No...
A) We should be...
B) I know.
A) Just suggest it, too late now I guess
B) I don't even know where we are
A) We're final.
B) Ah poo poo.
C) Guys I'm concerned.

:munch:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Madurai posted:

B-29 Superfortress:

I think that's a B-50.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Seph posted:

Picture of the damage. This looks pretty bad. Anyone have any idea if this is repairable?

Of course, you just drill out the rivets-oh... that's going to suck to fix.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Linedance posted:

normally, yeah, but 787... I'm curious to know what the Structural Repair Manual says. I'm going on course at the end of the year so I'm sure I'll find out.

Though the temptation is to assume it's another fault with the airframe, it's also Ethiopian. I have personally seen the poo poo they fly in and out, and suffice to say they would not be released as serviceable by any reputable airline. Their engineer is one of the nicest guys you could meet, but I wouldn't want to have his job.

Yeah, but they only received their first 787 on August 14, 2012, that's not a whole lot of time to get clapped out.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

helno posted:

I also did the air cadet program. One thing about it was that all of the students were previously licensed on gliders so we soloed less than 7 days after arriving on average.

We also spent the first four weeks on a pretty tight schedule cramming in every bit we needed to pass the MOT exam.

It would be pretty miraculous to get two weeks of good VFR weather around these parts.

Same thing here. I did not do the glider scholarship and I soloed mid-pack between all the glider graduates. It was fast, we only trained 5 days a week, but the first people finished around week 5.5 and no one more than 6.

I think it's theoretically possible to do the 40 hours of ground training and 40 hours of flight training in two weeks but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

The local AME/A&P school has the first JetStar which only has two engines. It's kind of a neat piece of history:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

gently caress y'all.

I guess that answers "What would a DeHavilland Comet look like with modern turbofans?". That said it kinda looks like the "after" photos that surfaced once Carrot Top found androstenediol while shopping for new props.

Now, someone do the B-52!

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Who does that F-4 in the video belong to? Are any still flying in air forces these days?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I like the car analogy things. What's a Starship? I'd peg it as a Tucker.

EV-1?

Quirky, Burt Rutan owns one, and was recalled by the factory only to be destroyed?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ads for the navy (?) used to be p. cool:

Speaking of Crusaders, here's a story about an F-8 pilot who had everything that could possibly go wrong on a ferry flight go wrong.

http://www.flightjournal.com/blog/2011/09/28/fell-15000-feet-and-lived-an-f-8-story/

He lived!

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

I ended up at the Wikipedia page for the F-5, after seeing just now in this thread that the Swiss are still using it, and stumbled across this:

The Shaped Sonic Boom Demonstrator was a modified F-5E that was designed to see if looking like a kitchen utensil would make it possible to reduce the noise created by sonic booms.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Read this post four hours ago and I'm still laughing.

Blistex posted:

Someone care to school me on why this is all wrong and why the F-111 is the best option?

The F-111 is always the best option. Unless you're the US Navy.

Maybe with F-110's instead of the TF30s. Man, 7 year old me is all excited now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Polymerized Cum posted:

Do the same but with GE90s :getin: