Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aero737 posted:

One casualty was a Japan Airlines 777 which suffered a tail strike through the rear pressure bulkhead. Supposidly there is a youtube video of it happening at Haneda, people said it looked like it was ago around after deploying thrust reversers.

video was deleted from YouTube apparently :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The worst US airport is any airport that doesn't have TSA Pre Check

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah well [they] try to avoid the front and stay well away when it's running.

That's safe enough, right?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Because it doesn't matter, buying a plane for a short time is a terrible investment, he's putting on relatively very few hours, replacement parts are still easy to find, and the MD80 is still reliable and remarkably quiet in the front of the aircraft?

Also, he doesn't care and it doesn't matter.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks so much for posting these, Powercube. I can't get enough of it and I'd love to go on a similar type of trip.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Powercube posted:

Regardless, I am back tonight to ask what you would like to know next about JS or North Korean aviation in general as I am not sure what to make the target of my next post. Also, Slo Tek- don't worry, Datangshan is coming. You'll get your 500m long line of shenyangs yet.

Can you go into the food served on board? I saw reference to a JS "cheeseburger"? Did you get one? What is it? Was any of the food "good"?

Was there special catering on the flight into NK? Just wondering if some foods weren't allowed to be served or if JS brought their own catering for both trips.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Define better?

I think the GE/RR F136 was cancelled, no?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The 787 has so much electricity that the UA pilot flying from Houston to Newark was afraid the aircraft was melting. He had to divert. link

Pretty crazy that reports asked fire dept to look for any melting plastic from electricity arcing near the power distribution block on one side.

I'm looking at possibly taking the JAL flight from San Diego to Tokyo but with these problems and the problems with their Boston to Tokyo 787 I think I might just stick to the "old school" 773er.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Exit rows swap because they are usually reserved for and taken by elites traveling who are also wait listed for upgrades. So if their upgrade clears the seat is available. And if the upgrade clears while the flight is under airport control then it's a free for all as to who can get the seat.

Edit: well, kinda. The self checkin kiosks will try to sell you the seat for an additional fee but if you ask or the flight is otherwise full you can be assigned it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah they were just trying to check swimming pools worth of liquor.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

grover posted:

But what about connections and layovers? I frequently spend 24 hours in transit on international flights (I've racked up quite a few miles on quite a few airlines), and lack of charging jacks in aircraft and airports is a huge pet peeve of mine. Even for domestic, you're waiting for 90 minutes before the plane takes off, and another half hour at the luggage return, and it's nice to actually have battery left when you land. Ironically, I have less of an issue on 12-14 hour US-asia flights because I'm asleep virtually the entire flight. Also, those aircraft typically have much better in-flight entertainment.

I fly transcons almost exclusively and don't have a problem with battery life, so domestically I think you're covered unless you're doing regular DFW-OGG turns. I cringe at the thought of having to wait at the luggage return every time I fly though. Yikes.

I'd recommend you invest in the Amex platinum card so you can access a variety of clubs and be guaranteed a charging station, free wifi at the airport, and free drinks/snacks. If you travel frequently it's a godsend. Also having access to direct ticketing agents in the club help immensely during irrops.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Interference rules are dumb. Forcing people to put away devices during the 2 most critical stages of flight in hopes of limiting distractions and loose objects in the cabin for around 15 minutes each isn't quite as dumb. There are still other dumb things we do under an illusion of safety : we still fly with life vests just in case were able to successfully ditch in a body of water again in our lifetime. But not that, theyre there just in case you fall out of the lifeboat that's provided and the seas are calm enough for you to have the strength to maneuver yourself back into the boat.

I fly a fair amount and like to be as productive as possible. Those 30 minutes (less if you turn on your device after takeoff but before 10k feet) really don't matter all that much.

I'd actually love to have devices off as you board in order to expedite the process. So many delays and confrontations due to people on phone, texting an generally not paying attention. But that's obviously unrealistic

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 31, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Flying with elite status trumps everything else in my book. And by sticking to an airline with a real mileage program I've quickly earned very expensive tickets for free. Totally worth it.

It will be interesting to see how the A321's that AA is purchasing work out in comparison to Virgin America's service. If it's anything like the 77W (and photos look like it will be) it'll be the best way to do LAX-JFK. Woo competition!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Flying into Heathrow still ends up costing $700/person in fees and airport taxes, but the 2-for-1 reward vouchers mean my wife and I go First on BA for about the same as we'd have to pay to fly at the back of the plane. The only danger is sometimes you get a plane with their old First cabin #firstworldproblems

That's BA only because of the fuel surcharges. APD is like 150 british pounds for premium travel which you pay on BA as well. My AA flight's taxes were far less, but still had to pay APD. $700 in taxes/fees is more than I paid in taxes/fees for a 3 week around the would trip for 2.

Why not fly the new AA 777-300ER? It's a better hard product and much improved soft product compared to BA from early reviews. I won't know until January.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I believe it's 600m or 2000 feet separation requires above 29000, 1000 feet surface to 29000. So they're good.

But one of the real ATC can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Mad Dogs own haters vacate.

Bitchin Betty for life

http://youtu.be/r0AK4yxBGnM

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Blistex posted:

So for the past 4 days I have been trying to get the credit I have from that missed flight put towards a new one, but the customer support in the LA office is just full of the daughters of wealthy Chinese Nationals who want an excuse to live in the US without having to go to school.

Kinda hard to feel sorry for you with this type of unfounded stuff. Sorry you've had a bad time with them but you don't know much about their backgrounds.

The rule for foreign carriers to me is always confirm, confirm, confirm. 24 hours before flight? Confirm. Especially when their solution was to move the flights a week(!) because of a late incoming flight. "Your person told me a week ago" is a terrible defense for anything, and it's possible that they did put her on the same flight number and in a week they adjusted times for seasonal winds/weather, connections, etc.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Blistex posted:

Air China stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPzRPga6uDg

Looks like China Airlines isn't much better!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Without a check airman next to him? At least on the first pass to a new airfield with known issues to its ILS guidance system on the likely arrival runway that juts out into a body of water?

I realize hindsight is 20/20 but drat. Maybe I am just being unrealistic as to the oversight expected.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Or weren't there, as the case appears to be. And he's still a relatively inexperienced captain on type.

What's the usual procedure to change aircraft at an airline? I thought once you were captain on a type to change you had to go back to FO on the new aircraft which is why so many pilots stay in their type for so long. I guess that's not the case? ( barring whole new aircraft joining the fleet or something where there isn't a pool to pull from)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 8, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did they really deploy the slides? Seems more dangerous than the landing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's not active anymore!

And you'd have to wait for your stuff anyways. Oh well, at least everyone is presumably ok.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I saw a trip report about a hello kitty flight. I can't find the link currently but I remember concluding that this is a giant cultural difference. That looks like hell to me, I can't imagine flying it especially in any premium cabin.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would love to see the overhead panel in its entirety if you've got it

Also want dat grill.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://www.liveatc.net/

Should be an app for your mobile device of choice

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Blistex posted:

Every flight I have been on in the last 10 years I do the same thing. Be the very last one on, and the very last one off. Typically my connecting flights are multiple hours apart, and I'm never in a rush from the airport. It makes for the most relaxing experience possible, as I spend less time sitting in the aircraft waiting to take off, and less time in the line at customs when landing.

A few years ago I think it was either Oprah or Dr. Oz that said if you sit too long you're going to have a blood clot explode your brain, so get up and walk around. One of the examples they gave was a long international flight, so everyone now thinks they have to run the Boeing marathon on their 2 hour flight. Thankfully Oprah/Oz never mentioned movie theaters or there would be blood in the streets.

This whole post is pretty hilarious.

Your plan for boarding and leaving the plane makes very little sense,especially when you involve customs and immigration. It takes far longer to clear a planes worth of customs than it does to deboard an aircraft, so by waiting until the end you will take longer. Also, at any major airport there are multiple planes deboarding and customs staff do not increase an equal amount for each plane that lands, so you're actually increasing the risk for a far longer wait by intentionally waiting until the end.

I'm not saying you need to be a dick about it and throw elbows into the aisle before the reversers are stowed but sitting towards the front and leaving in a normal queue is your best bet for efficiently clearing c&i and the airport.

Also, multiple hour layovers are incredibly inefficient and frankly just not an option for most. It's nice you can do that but there is so much out of the control of the average flyer that it's rarely their fault for having a tight connection. Again, it doesn't excuse rude or unsafe conduct but the average flyer is working within a system that they had very little control over. And a multiple hour layover might help your stress level but it's certainly the least efficient thing you can do by choice.

It wasn't an Oprah or Oz thing. It was a lawsuit in 2001 that went to high court in 2004 against Qantas and BA. It was settled in 07 as they were not found liable. It had such an effect on Qantas that they still mention DVT in a cabin announcement and offer an "inflight workout" suggestion on their website to this day. It was a bit sensationalized, I agree, but part of it was a real thing and the sensationalism was caused by the very airlines who acknowledge it well beyond when they were forced to.

Also I clipped it but "stewardess". Really?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Koesj posted:

I don't know, it sounds pretty much like how I approach my flights. Maybe there's different circumstances for different kinds of travel?

Also, steward(ess) is still used as a word in some non-English languages. I guess we're not as cultured as you are or something.

Maybe, but it certainly isn't efficient. If you need to take a delay to keep your head on and remain relaxed or something that's great. Most people would rather do that outside of the airport.

And I don't know. I've spent a LOT of time on Asian, middle eastern and European carriers very recently, and South American carriers not so recently, and the term was never used once either verbally or in written documentation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FWIW I'm not angry or anything about the term stewardess, I just find it antiquated. Maybe it's used elsewhere but again, in traveling a ton recently across many cultures, I hadn't heard it once and it's usage from someone who clearly travels a lot and has a specific plan for when they travel was surprising. That's all.

And Blistex, while you might not know about the court case(s) about DVT, they affected policy at BA and Qantas to this day as it's now mentioned online and in printed materials and I think even referenced in an in cabin announcement. DVT = blood clots = what those TV shows were referencing. It's all the same thing caused by the same causes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's believable about this? The rule of thumb is 20 minutes or so to get down? Swissair 111 had roughly that and plenty of time to communicate anything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

Is this photoshopped or are two planes really allowed to land simultaneously at parallel runways ?

From the photographer: Shot from the same spot with the same exposure and framing 1m18s apart and aligned by the street signs below, an overlay size comparison of the 737-700 and the A380-800. The 737 landed first. Note the identical altitude of both airplanes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

On the other hand, I got stuck explaining to not only a mindless clerk, but then later several corporate reps, that I shouldn't have to pay for being a no-show to a flight when I showed up but the flight was cancelled and not available for literally days after, which rendered the flight a completely loving moot point. I seriously had them asking repeatedly why I didn't take the flight. Then I'd say "I would have loved to, but you cancelled the flight" and then they'd counter with, "well, yes, but we offered to fly you out three days later?"

"Trip-in-vain" is usually the magic phrase when you get a competent agent. I've used it in similar situations with no problem, but I also had status at the time so while that didn't grant me any stated benefits in the situation maybe it made them more willing to work with me?

Also got my full EQM for the flight I didn't take which pushed me over the amount I needed and renewed my status for the next year.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What other passenger aircraft aside from 737NG have the doors that release upwards and remain attached?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get on as early as possible before it fills up but I've never had an issue. I usually apologize all over myself for asking and explain the situation. They also sometimes have hangar spots on the bulkhead wall behind first class and not everyone will have a coat up there to hang up.

You just have to remember to grab it on your way out. Don't ask me how I know.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The all blacks livery might be my favorite currently flying. Hadn't seen it in the 789 so thanks!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently MD-80s use some kind of robot to deliver warnings instead of a sensible recording of a person.

Shes a real person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0AK4yxBGnM

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

All of that stuff happens on flights with IFE. Except the bucket list thing, I'm not convinced that ever happens.

Also just get pre check if you're American. It's a small price to pay for 5 years of convenience.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man you really hate flying or something. I regularly had over 50k miles/year and never thought it was that bad.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Funny thing happens after you get 25k miles - you get to sit in exit rows next to other people who are bored with air travel or you get upgraded to first

Neither are true when your flights are booked at the relative last minute for work.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, I guess. Still pretty hard to do on Transcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Did American change their livery due to Boeing not being able to offer the 787 in "polished aluminum" in part because it has a composite fuselage?

Yeah, but the 773, not 787.

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/features/american-airlines-debuts-new-modern-look