Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Wow, what a loving terrible pilot. If an aircraft commander ever did that to me I'd probably go straight to the wing safety office about it.

yeah I bet that guy was a total hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

NASA TV has been on and off as well.

Still up in the air...

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I've never had a good time at CDG.

American airports seem to be the most consistenly poorly managed. I got into IAD one evening from france on a 757 (got switched from air france to continental... ugh it's amazing how bad US airlines are too, but anyway...) and it seemed like 2 other international flights were arriving around the same time.

Immigration had 2 officers working for 3 airplanes worth of people - one for US poassport holders and one for the others. Luckily our plane was first to queue up and we were sorta near the front. About 20 minutes into waiting, one of the officers packed up and left. Couple hundred people left with ONE!!! person doing passports. And it was no rubber stamp, it was the usual (in my experience) treatment of that sort of being-looked-down-upon grouchy I-know-you-need-me-to-get-in-here attitude. Maybe if I had to do 200 passports by myself I'd be grouchy too!

Ko Samui has the coolest airport :cool:

http://www.samuiairportonline.com/photo-gallery

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

More airliners need more wacky liveries.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I sure wish I had that much amazing flat area to do a forced landing in if I bothered to take off overloaded for the conditions. I have a wall of trees though. Lucky idiot.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

How comfy are those airliner captain/FO chairs?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

Watch that Norway video, it's pretty awesome!

Question about AF447. How connected are the pilots to the attitude of very large aircraft from their pilot seats? Can they feel when the plane is nose up or wing down or do they have to rely on their instruments?

The most basic instrument flying lessons teach you that you cannot trust your inertial senses to determine what the aircraft is doing. You need instruments. This is even mandatory training for private (non-instrument) pilots.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Instruments have various redundant systems and pilots are trained on partial panel flying. Total failure is really really rare. I don't know firsthand about commercial/airline ops but there is a rigorous preflight by various crew and walkaround done by a captain or FO that should be checking for basic things. I'm sure other people here would know more and there are some airline guys in the A/T Aviation Megathread.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I would have thought the entire point behind fighters is to be able to kill other airplanes

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm curious to see the cockpit transcipts. It looks like nothing was said until a few seconds prior to impact, but how two pilots could be that oblivious to airspeed on a visual approach is dazzling.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

what

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The instruments are off, but this grass strip here just feels right...

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Regarding life rafts: Hudson River anyone? River ditching near a city is still pretty possible, and in winter with cold water people could easily die of hypothermia if forced into water.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

drunkill posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flypast#Flypasts_associated_with_World_War_II
"The largest flyover in history occurred 69 years ago today. 3,000 carrier aircraft and 400 bombers flew over Tokyo Bay during the signing of the peace treaty that ended World War 2 as a show of force"

Huge formation of American planes over USS Missouri and Tokyo Bay celebrating the signing, 2 September 1945

Got to love the section right below that also:

quote:

Panic and disaster
Some Canberra residents panicked during a flypast in 2003 over Parliament House by two F-111 jets, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Australian High Court. It manifested itself as "two thunderously loud balls of flame screaming overhead at a height of about 300 metres and heading toward the city's landmarks." Press releases had been issued, but the police had not been informed.

:rock:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Is it known whether the altimiter and attitude indicators were functioning on 447? I would assume attitude was but possibly not altitude, or was speed data the only thing they lost?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The dronekids are just moving fast and breaking things. You greybeards need to accept the new order and realize drones will have replaced all human aviators in 18 months, tops. True innovators like Vitamin J realize you have to break some eggs to make an omlette, the eggs being meat-ferrying aircraft and the omlette being the sweet utopia where the technocrats can subsist in a VR-goggled vegetative bliss, an efficient swarm of robots caring for their nutritional, hygenic, social, and sexual needs.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Always relevant, the xkcd (which Musk cited when he was stealing the twitter-thunder after blue origin's grasshopper++ test) that explains getting to space vs getting to orbit:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/58/

Also waiting for the future carrier-pilot-like dick waving about "our rocket lands on a ship."

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 22, 2015

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I remember the first time I heard the stereo++ of 4 engines throttling up at the same time, pretty cool.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

b-b-b-but elon said he could do it if he just wasn't so busy

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Bet the Boeing factory tour is a little awkward right now

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

FAA et al should get real about type ratings. Narrow the constraints that determine whether a new rating is required. Stop these bullshit games the industry gets to play by forcing engineers to design a mutant airplane because of business requirements and then slap on unbaked software band aids.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

And remember the training for all of this stuff (transitioning from 737-* to the MAX) is like a 60 minute ipad thing. I'm sure the pilots with years of muscle memory flying the older 737s are totally ready to troubleshoot the new systems in a loss of control situation after that.

Oh and very cool that many features like an AoA indicator and AoA discrepancy light are optional and not purchased by many airlines.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

still gotta film it for the gram though

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Regional commuter electric planes would be cool and achievable, we should do that

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

From what I remember all of the highly publicized engine failures over the past few years (this one, southwest, at least one other) all had failures where the containment system didn't work

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

If that plane ever enters service the only reggos in it are the ones who fly business. Or probably a premium over todays business fares

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

DCA - lived in maryland for 30 years never once called or heard it called anything but “Reagan.”

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Motorcycles are safer because they’re small and nimble, the statistics are off because I just spend my time weaving through traffic without a helmet at 100mph.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Hadlock posted:

So I found out you can get a 10 year loan on a used airplane

1) what's the oldest plane you can buy on a note? For most boats it's 20 years although there's sometimes specialty lenders. FAA has really strict licensing, inspection and maintenance requirements so I'm guessing you might be able to buy something as old as 50 years on a note assuming it's got some kind of current air worthiness certificate?
2) what's the sweet spot airplane to buy for a family of four going from the bay area to Tahoe once a month, with low price vs capability. I guess Cessna is super popular which probably drives down total cost of ownership. Looks like a bunch of sites break down monthly total cost but it's hard to figure out which meets those needs

Not sure if this post is more BWM or future NTSB report

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The fygm and fake safety aspect are real but lol if anyone thinks airlines would pass the savings of cheaper pilots onto passenger fares.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Well we simply must pay all pilots minimum wage from now on

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

What the other poster said like $2X/hr (only time the plane is not at gate not getting to work, preflight, etc) and many were below poverty line

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

https://flightattendant.pro/flight-attendant-hourly-rates/

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Hadlock posted:

At what age are the airlines no longer required to seat my child next to me. I think at 2 I am safe but I'm guessing the bean counters have the age set as low as possible, something like age 5 or 8

It’s 13

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

People in the comments “he would have made it if he leaned before takeoff” I mean, maybe just barely but not really what I think the takeaway should be (not operating at the limit with 5 pax).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

There are different types of XC time, for private/instrument/commercial they require a landing but for ATP and military the landing is not required for that reason.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Lukla/Tenzing-Hillary as well

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

They have a long way to go but any vc backed moneypit sure knows when to time a press event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Far west texas gets interesting to me, it's a lot of nothing but you have weird towns like alpine and marfa, big bend, and out by el paso guadalupe mtn, carlsbad caverns, and white sands are all really neat. You just have to get used to everything being 2-3hrs apart.