Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Manny posted:

Silly harrier, that's not your ship!

Click here for the full 1024x700 image.

I want to see the insurance claim the van's owner writes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Something new in the air - fan wing aeroplanes.

The concept is surprisingly simple, you get lift by having air move over the wing surface. This is normally done by having an engine move the entire plane and can be assisted by having the engine blow air straight over the airfoil.

Basic stuff, right. Now, imagine if your wing was capable of generating its own air movement. Not, I'm not talking about ornithopters flapping about like in Dune. I'm talking about something a little more practical.

The vertical cylindrical fan sends a steady flow of air over the rest of the wing as it rotates. This allows not only for incredibly steep angles of attack, but by tilting the wing, can even allow the craft to hover (and even fly backwards).

It's only in the prototype stage right now, as far as I know, but a scale version is up and running. Check the links below for video and more pics.

Flight Blog link here

Gizmodo link here

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

blambert posted:

I went and collected my ebay purchase, the impulse buy RAF Hunter drop tank, swung by dads work and pop riveted it together for now to work out what I want to do with it.

What was Dustin Hoffman doing there?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

grover posted:

Speaking of modern-WWII comparisons:

B-17G length: 74'
F-15E length: 64'

This broke my brain. I used to make models of bombers when I was a kid and had four or five B-17 kits.

I mean, there were rooms in there!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

grover posted:

I always wanted an aeroplane that I could paint like that, but wrong.

Have the landing gear sign point to the door, the left wing sign point to the right wing, that kind of thing.

Just to piss off the accident investigators if I ever did have a crash.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

It's like listening to a swarm of bees.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Is that a model aeroplane? The F111 is loving huge, that one looks tiny with respect to the boat and dingy in the background

EDIT - Nope, I'm wrong. Found this on flickr:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 22, 2010

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yes, I know every time I travel I can barely make my way down the aisle for all the people hooked up to life support systems :rolleyes:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 6, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

BonzoESC posted:

Haven't seen this one in the wild yet.

I really wish they'd do more like this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Airliners.net always has the best pictures.

Just the right amount of grime:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Whoah, I honestly expected that series to end in flames. I can only imagine the drama going on in the cockpit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Over in the History thread in GBS, Phanatic posted this utterly glorious story of a SR-71 pilot Brian Shul from his book Sled Driver.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that everyone reads it all the way through.

quote:

Ripping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border. I was, finally, after many humbling months of simulators and study, ahead of the jet. I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Walter in the back seat.

There he was, with no really good view of the incredible sights before us, tasked with monitoring four different radios. This was good practice for him for when we began flying real missions, when a priority transmission from headquarters could be vital. It had been difficult, too, for me to relinquish control of the radios, as during my entire flying career I had controlled my own transmissions. But it was part of the division of duties in this plane and I had adjusted to it. I still insisted on talking on the radio while we were on the ground, however. Walt was so good at many things, but he couldn't match my expertise at sounding smooth on the radios, a skill that had been honed sharply with years in fighter squadrons where the slightest radio miscue was grounds for beheading. He understood that and allowed me that luxury. Just to get a sense of what Walt had to contend with, I pulled the radio toggle switches and monitored the frequencies along with him.

The predominant radio chatter was from Los Angeles Center, far below us, controlling daily traffic in their sector. While they had us on their scope (albeit briefly), we were in uncontrolled airspace and normally would not talk to them unless we needed to descend into their airspace. We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot who asked Center for a read-out of his ground speed. Center replied: “November Charlie 175, I'm showing you at ninety knots on the ground.”

Now the thing to understand about Center controllers was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the "Houston Center voice." I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country's space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that and that they basically did. And it didn't matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Conversely, over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios. Just moments after the Cessna's inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his ground speed in Beech. “I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed.”

Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren. Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios. “Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check.” Before Center could reply, I'm thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million-dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a read-out? Then I got it, ol' Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He's the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet. And the reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion: “Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground.”

And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done - in mere seconds we'll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now. I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn. Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet. Then, I heard it - the click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: “Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?” There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request. “Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.”

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice: “Ah, Center, much thanks, we're showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.” For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A. came back with, “Roger that Aspen. Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours. You boys have a good one.”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Pardon the 'fail' caption, but here's a good shot of that airbus mishap from when the wing was still embedded in the building:

I know I'm a bad person for laughing at this, but I can't help but think of some poor bastard working away in his office when the wingtip of a massive aeroplane comes crashing through the wall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I can't bring any hate to bear on a Pokemon painted plane because I think all planes need to be painted up.

White is just so boring

(also - why does Firefox have "Pokemon" in its dictionary?)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Especially the Viking mission.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
From the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread:

Plinkey posted:

Here is what happens when a hangar get hit by lightning and it manages to set off the foam system while the hanger is full of planes.

You just know there was at least one poor bastard in there when it happened.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Luckily, you'd be perfectly fine even if you stood right in the middle of it.

Anther post in the Failures thread brought up a similar incident at Ellsowth AFB where a test of the foam spray went a bit haywire when they were unable to turn it off and a massive hanger was filled with foam to the rafters.

The dozen or so airmen inside the hanger taking measurements and phots were perfectly okay.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I love concept craft. Seeing a completely new technology or revisiting old tech in a new way.

Boeing have gone and revisited pulse jets or, as they call it, Pulse-Ejector-Thrust-Augmentors.

Now Gizmodo, being Gizmodo, naturally had to compare it to the Millennium Falcon, but it's more like having dozens of tiny jets under the fuselage.

Originally developed by a Russian engineer, it was adapted by the nazis for the V1 'buzz bomb'. But their designs sucked. They failed, had poor engine life, were slow and noisy.

But Boeing revisited the concept and has made an engine with no moving parts and - here's the part I really like - can fly through heavy debris clouds and ash and still work fine. Great for the next time a volcano shuts down all of Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousW3b50M1Q

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
They didn't say in the video or any of the links in the Gizmodo article. But dozens of little jets spraying straight down can't be too good for the lawn.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Fully expect that plane to transform and stab a giant robot in the head with that spike plate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I love that crazy cold war stuff.

Here's an old Airacomet with a genuine fake prop at an airshow.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Maybe there's a smaller plane inside :haw:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Another day in paradise from Airliners.net

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I know it's due to foreshortening, but every time I see a pic like this it makes me clench.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Slo-Tek posted:

Supercritical wing?

Did you really need to come in for a landing so fast? I'm sure your instructors didn't teach you that manoeuver. Why would anyone set their flaps to such a ridiculous angle? Do you want us to stall?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Added to the list of poo poo I want to do before I die - fly under an aurora.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Never seen one of these shots from behind before.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
From NatGeo: A 23-second exposure in a camera mounted in the tail of a Lockheed TriStar jet captures the lights of the airport runway and the city beyond.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: Russian giant-seaplane makers Beriev are currently working on this monster:

400 feet long, 500-foot wingspan, max takeoff weight 2500 tons (not a typo, two and a half million kg).

Yeah, I can never wrap my head around the insane lift capacity of ground effect vehicles.

Even the little ekranoplans could carry over 100 tonnes of cargo.

This is an old pic, but I'd love to see someone build some of the concepts seen in the post 1980 section:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
God I love Kodachrome so much.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/6733?size=_original#caption

quote:

October 1942. "A new B-25 bomber is brought for a test hop to the flight line at the Kansas City, Kansas, plant of North American Aviation." 4x5 Kodachrome transparency by Alfred Palmer, Office of War Information.

Click for huge:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Found this in a random image dump. Sadly, there were no more images or any details.

Simply gorgeous.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Awesome, thanks.

I want to be the guy in the back, just chillin' with the canopy open, taking in the view.

EDIT: Back to engine chat with this great Kodachrome from Shorpy.com

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 29, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ended up losing an hour or so at Shorpy again.

July 1942. "Production. B-25 bombers. Mounting a 1700-horsepower Wright Whirlwind engine to the firewall of a B-25 bomber. Fairfax bomber plant, Kansas City."

October 1942. "Lieutenant 'Mike' Hunter, Army test pilot assigned to Douglas Aircraft Company, Long Beach, California."

August 1942. Naval Air Base at Corpus Christi, Texas. Jesse Rhodes Waller, aviation ordnance mate third class, tries out a 30-caliber machine gun he has just installed in a Navy plane.

Another shot of AOM Jesse Rhodes Waller and machine gun in a PBY Catalina at Corpus Christi Naval Air Base in August 1942.

October 1942. Transport assembly hall at the Consolidated Aircraft Corporation plant in Fort Worth, Texas. Lowering an engine into place.

October 1942. Workers installing fixtures and assemblies in the tail section of a B-17F bomber at the Douglas Aircraft Company plant in Long Beach, California.

July 1942. Servicing an A-20 bomber at Langley Field, Virginia.

October 1942. Final assembly for a B-25 bomber at North American Aviation, Inglewood, Calif.

Mating operation on a C-87 transport plane just before it comes to the pre-assembly line at the Consolidated Aircraft Corporation plant, Fort Worth, Texas. October 1942.

1942. "B-25 bomber final assembly line at North American Aviation works, Inglewood, Calif."

One day, if a miracle happens and I win the lottery, I'm going to buy every Kodachrome in the entire goddamn world.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Goddamn, at the 40 second mark I was sure I was about to see them all die.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

SybilVimes posted:

What? Everyone knows that chemtrails started with the B17 raids on germany...

Just look at that glorious American chemical warfare!

e: for irony, that image came from a conspiritard blog that actually unironically believes that that image shows the 'USAF' using chemtrails against their enemies, thus proof of chemtrails being real!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I would put money that there's half a dozen guys right at the rear of the plane whooping it up like a pack of loons.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But does it really matter in the long run?

It's not like the cops are going to look at the tangled mess of metal and say, "By Jove, Watson! It was Miss Emily Pickingson with the hedge combobulators after all. Quick, to the steam jitney!"

It'll be, "Yep, it's from 9/11. Stick it on the pile." They won't be in any real rush to do anything with it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gullous posted:

Your avatar says otherwise :v:

My brother is driving through South Dakota, apparently "a fighter jet" buzzed him in I-90. I love to think the pilot was just messing with him.

Edit:

That's definitely a 737-C
:goonsay:

I remember that thread. I've still got some of the images saved.

Air Safety!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 20, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just looking at the design of the Triton in the youtube preview pic - is the head shape and engine placement designed like that to act as a lifting body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

You need to turn that into a key chain or something.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 23, 2013