Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Inspiration for the A-10 perhapse?

Heavy, slow, dual engine, pilot sits in an armoured bathtub, giant gently caress-off gun!

HS-129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\/\ You have good taste!

Me-410 (Basically a 210 with all the kinks ironed out).

Fast, maneuverable, hard hitting, and able to carry a significant bombload.

410 Glamour video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvkbIJWSRI
110 + 410 vs. B17's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQeAMO_fh-g&feature=related

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
11 pages (full of photos) of a crew in Germany restoring. . .

Spitfires, Mustangs, Yaks, FW-190, BF-109, Corsair, and a few others.
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=104523

Assuming this hasn't been posted already, click the poo poo out of that link to see photos of awesome WWII aircraft, some replicas, and pictures of areas of the aircraft you will not see anywhere else.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
That V2 video posted earlier. I'm pretty sure that the clip of the V2 striking the ground was a launch gone wrong, given the smoke, slow speed, and a camera being handy. When those suckers impacted all you heard was the shockwave, and the explosion a second later. They were traveling faster than the speed of sound when they were on their way down.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

grover posted:

the biggest hurdle right now is cooling it.

You'd think being mounted on an airframe moving at hundreds of miles per hour at 20,000 feet or more would make cooling a non-issue, but then again we're talking about a laser and not a piston engine.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Since this mini-derail about the price of flying came up, I had a question. I'm probably going to be booking a one-way ticket from Beijing to Toronto in the next month or two. Anyone know any tricks or tips to get a cheaper price? I've looked into the usual suspects (Air Canada, Travelocity, Expedia, Flightnetwork) and they all usually come in around +/- $20 of each other.

The biggest problem is that I don't know the exact date yet, and when I do, I'll probably only have about 3-5 weeks notice, which means the tickets have gone from $900-1100 to $1200-1500.

Any ideas?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tried the scale modeling thread and no luck.

Does anyone know where one could find detailed wing and fuselage profiles of a BF-109? (preferably an F-G model) I'm thinking of making a large scale balsa model from scratch and for the love of me I can't seem to find any decent blueprints that would be appropriate to use as a template.

Example of what I'm looking for.

Something like this could work, but it's pretty low-rez and reference points would be nice to know the spacing of the ribs and fuselage panels.

p.s. Free ones, I am equal parts cheap and poor.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I don't know if these will help at all, but it's all I could find:
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/bf109f.html
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/bf109gkflug.html

The F one at least has a couple sheets with exploded parts though the accompanying text isn't in english.

That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, the pic with the wing and fuselage profile, thanks. Would be nice to find a 5mb PNG version with every rib and spar in it though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Captain Postal posted:

I'm surprised that there are fewer broken up B52's. Russia must be getting sloppy to let the Capitalist Yankees do that (They had to be broken up that specific way and laid out in pieces like that for satellite observation to confirm the START treaties were being observed)

But if we don't have enough B-52's that can be brought back to operational status, how are we going to bring China to its knees?*

*Can someone find that "think-tank" paper from the 1990's where they outline how the US would wage a conventional Air/Naval war with China? I remember it being straight up "Tom Clancy Wank Material" with F-117s and B-1's destroying all their airfields and SAM installations and then B-52's going all "Operations Linebacker" on their infrastructure, ports, military installations, and manufacturing facilities. It was pretty laughable, and seemed to revolve on China being stuck in 1970's technology and 1950's tactics mode. Also, I'm 90% sure Jack Ryan played some integral part in it as well.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

iyaayas01 posted:

Besides the :lol: war with China :lol: aspect of it, I guess I don't understand what's supposedly "laughable" about that. That's a pretty standard description for how the U.S. would wage an air campaign against someone, and for most of the '90s China was stuck with '70s and '80s technology, which necessarily limited their tactics when going up against an adversary with top of the line equipment. The extremely rapid modernization of the PLAAF and PLAN has really only been since 2000 or so.

You've just got to read it. I was pretty sure it was some "Red Storm Rising" fanfic, but turned out it was from some legit government think-tank.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Best seat I ever had (besides being bumped to Business Class) was in a Korean Air 747 going back to Toronto. I was in the second last row, on the left hand side, window seat (60B in the diagram). Due to the thinning of the fuselage aft, the was a big gap between the bulkhead and the window seat in front of me that I could stretch my legs out full length. What made this even sweeter is that the seat to my right was empty, so I could really stretch my arms without hitting anyone.

Got a good 8 hours sleep (out of 13) on that flight, and would have had more if the one stewardess didn't keep making small talk (free English lessons) after every meal.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone know about the capabilities of the F-CK-1 produced in Taiwan? (besides what wikipedia says) It's a pretty new design that they did themselves since they realized that they can't count on the US to sell them F-16s due to Chinese pressure.

She's a sexy, yet confusing gal. (click for big)

Do a google search for "F-CK-1" (be prepared for expected results). Depending on the angle, I find it looks like the following aircraft, F-16, F-18, F-20, and even sometimes a Su-34.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cygni posted:

Basically Big China rattled so many swords that instead of just selling Little China F-20s or F-16s, they decided to transfer all the technology the old fashioned way (under the counter) and build it themselves. It's basically a modified F-16 airframe designed by GD with the F-20s electronics and radar. With the exception being that nobody would sell them big-boy engines, so it's chronically underpowered and basically a big lead in trainer now.

Wonder why the US hasn't dropped a few GE Engine blueprints in a conspicuous place in Taiwan, or are engines really that hard to make yourself? I know that China has been having a really hard time getting their own off the ground (pun not intended) and the Russians don't want to sell them any more nice things since they keep turning them inside-out and making copies, but this is Taiwan. The first thing I think of when hearing that is Technology.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Aero737 posted:

The F22 avionics test bed is a pretty crazy looking aircraft too.

However, if you imagine it as something Russian, then it doesn't look quite so crazy..

Ok, someone needs to explain this to me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
TA-152H from the Smithsonian currently undergoing restoration. (click for bigger)

Pretty amazing bird when you read it's stats. If these were as numerous at P-51's or P-47's are, you'd probably see them cleaning up in Reno. I think WWII pretty much took the prop-driven plane as far as it would go performance wise. (excluding insane things like the Thunderscreetch) Also there is enough space between the cockpit and the end of the nose to land a Fieseler Storch on.

Max Speed - 472 mph @ 41,000ft
Max Altitude - 48,550 ft
Rate of Climb - 3,445 ft/min

More Pics Here

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Bonus sperg points for whoever guesses what I have. (hint: It's small, does +3 mach on solid fuel, and they cost approx €400,000 a pop)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrChips posted:

Control fin from an IRIS-T.

Wow! That was fast. What gave it away? Or did you do a wiki search on all air to air missiles and looked for one in that price range?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Preoptopus posted:

Just watched James Mays Big Idea : come fly with me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tElz3yqCI

Pretty good watch

Wish I could say the same, but I just watched Red Tails. . . :negative:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Polymerized Cum posted:

I love how the 78's wing design is so bird like. Nature got it right first time, millions of years ago.

I saw a 3D movie when I went to the CN tower this summer. It was basically a 30 minute Boeing Ad, but one of the things that they really drove home is that the wing was inspired by the Albatross's wing. The ad basically said that they looked for the best glider in the world, and it was the Albatross, so they tried to take as much of that as they could and put it into the 787 so that it would be more fuel efficient.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Linedance posted:

I found a page that describes it as an infrared detection system, so that's probably germanium glass or some similar IR transmissive glass. So it probably won't give you cancer... It does look cool though.

Although actual Soviet era fruit bowls will give you cancer.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Godholio posted:

:laffo: That is quite awesome.

Sometimes I wonder how bad things could have gotten for allied airmen had Goering not gotten himself hooked on painkillers after the Beerhall Putsch.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SwimNurd posted:

Because you touch yourself at night.

I thought that's what made DC-10s crash?

SwimNurd posted:

Actually I think it is the guns that cause it.

Yup, at higher speeds (dives and pullouts) the gunports catch enough air to make the characteristic whistle. I think if the ports are empty (no gun/replica barrel) then it is even more pronounced.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I assumed that the 40 second mark wasn't as drastic a maneuver as it looked because both aircraft would be climbing/diving. Played it again and focussed on the landmarks in the background.

:stare: What kind of G's would those pilots be feeling?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

slidebite posted:

According to the original ruling, the mechanic fitted the wrong metal strip on a Continental DC-10. The piece ultimately fell off on the runway in Paris, puncturing the Concorde's tire. The burst tire sent bits of rubber into the fuel tanks, which started the fire that brought down the plane.

Let me get this straight. DC-10's are no longer content in killing their own passengers, but are now resorting to killing other aircraft's?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Godholio posted:

There should be far fewer individuals' names and far more battle names.

I'm not even American and this bugs me to no end. Oh look, the Gerald Ford grounded on a reef, and the George Bush is violating a nation's international waters. poo poo! The navigation computer on the Reagan is on the fritz and it's just going around in circles! Does every president need to have a warship named after him?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haha, I'd love to know their reasoning behind the fighters carrying mind-control chemicals as well, or why (in other photos) German fighters are releasing chems over their own territory and citizens. I'm sure pilots who are overly concerned with the weight (speed and climbing ability) of their fighters wouldn't mind carrying a few hundred gallons of liquid that will in no way help them not get killed by enemy fighters or allow them to have a greater range/bombload/ammo.

Although I'm sure they'd say that the Nazi chems were to undo the US chems, or some such bullshit and the Luft pilots were made to carry them in their aircraft on pain of execution.

There is literally no way you can convince those kinds of loonies that their ideas are batshit insane, as they will continue to come up with even more insane justifications and counterpoints to your logic. I've tried and it eventually came down to "Alien magic did it!".

How do you reason with that?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I guess when you purchase a car, house, computer, etc... the price tag isn't the money required to buy it, but how much it will cost to own and maintain it for the next 42 years!

:canada:'s F-35 Woes!

Favourite Quote: "As early as this week, the federal government will release an independent audit pegging the cost of 65 F-35s at $45 billion over 42 years."

Edit: The costs include the initial purchase price, training, parts, fuel, climate controlled hangars, runway maintenance, servicemen salaries, support infrastructure, etc. Because all of that money just disappears, and none of it is in any way shape or form put back into our economy.

Not saying that the F-35 is or is not the choice that we should be making, but adding up the costs in this manner would even make a fleet of 65 Honda Accords seem cost prohibitive.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 11, 2012

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Can't imagine many things louder than 6 .50s firing inside a hangar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmln5aChX0s

Accidentally pulling the trigger on this beast while in the hangar?

(88 PPSH SMGs)

Although one of those B-25s with the 14 .50 cals for strafing Japanese shipping might be louder.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

dayman posted:

What in holy hell is that abomination in the foreground?

This is the only appropriate reaction when first seeing a Buchon Messerschmitt. They're as ugly as homemade, backwood, Kentucky sin and should be kept in a damp dark shack behind the house and occasionally used for spare parts when the non-mutant members of the family need them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ElBrak posted:

From what I read they were built pretty close to the plans for the 109, which meant that they had a slight twist in their body to compensate for the counterclockwise rotation of the propeller. The problem was the Merlin rotated clockwise, which made a hard to take off aircraft even tougher to get off the ground.

It's the airframe trying to twist itself free from that offending engine and hideous cowl.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Captain Apollo posted:

Why don't they just rebuild the entire wing. I've never understood this whole 'We built it once and now it's gone forever!' idea.

Wartime and Peacetime economies and the way governments and individuals spend money are very, very different. Spitfires require a phenomenal amount of labour, and to make the cost of tooling and everything else worth it you'd have to produce hundreds of them, for a pretty penny, or very few for an outrageous amount. A company made some flying ME-262s (with modern engines for safety reasons) and the only reason that project was in any way feasible was there were no flying examples in the world and different associations were willing to pay top dollar for them.

I think there are enough flying and static spitfires out there that the demand to build "ground up" new ones isn't enough to offset the costs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I think most people were, except for the ones with the final say and a bucket full of Lockmart stock.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Tell me why this is a stupid idea (besides cost) in the least condescending manner possible.

Take a B-52 and stuff it with all the newest jamming equipment.
Set up the interior so that the EW crew has some more space and better stations.
Double the amount of flares and chaff it carries.
Mount a few long and short range air-air missiles. Maybe even a few set up to fire backwards.
Put a few air to ground missiles on it as well. Make sure a few are designed to take out radar/SAM sites.

BAM! Long legged/high loiter time Jammer that could possibly defend itself from Air and ground threats or at least deter them somewhat if they see a missile heading their way.

Something like this but with more B-52 sperglord input.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Boomerjinks posted:

Dale Brown parachute account spotted.

I've honestly never read any of his books, but know of him and his love of the BUFF (Flight of the Old Dog).

Advent Horizon posted:

People have been hoping they'd build the Old Dog for decades now. The Soviets may not have huge laser weapons but the plane should still fly!

So are you saying this is actually a good-ish idea? :clancyfap: <-this needs to be made!

Edit: just saw your second post.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrChips posted:

I still find it so hard to believe that there is only one flying IL-2 in the world, considering how many they made.

Beyond that, I can think of a whole pile of significant historical aircraft with no airworthy examples. If I was a billionaire...

Here's a quick chart I whipped up.

It seems the best chance of survival is being an allied fighter aircraft. (Don't consider USSR Allied)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Linedance posted:

More likely a photo op on the film set of "Top Gun: Iran" distributed out of context by Mossad or just some keen anti-iranian hobbyist. It's not like they don't know what a western stealth fighter looks like, they have Internet.

Problem being, one of the requirements for this fighter program was that it be able to fit on the largest turntable the country currently produces.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So my wife saw me looking at the pictures of the Iranian "Stealth Fighter" and asked what I was doing. I told her that Iran had built this plane and she looked at it closely and said, "is it supposed to be like the J-20 fighter?". I said that it was, but most people think it is fake. She looked at the picture again and especially the one of the pilot in the cockpit, and then said, "Show me the J-20". Only took her a few seconds to come to the conclusion that it wasn't a working aircraft given the massive size difference between it, and a real "stealth fighter".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
A guy I know owns a Cessna 182 and he said it's beginning to approach $300 an hour to fly when you factor in fuel, insurance, tie-down fees, and everything else. This is in Canada, so fuel might be a little cheaper in the US or some other countries, and taxes a little easier. A lot of people have moved to ultralights because they can actually afford them. My mom used to have a 172, but sold it in 1999 due to the costs and the fact she wasn't flying it that much any more.

If you have to ask, then the odds are an actual assembly-line airplane is too much and you might have to go the kit or ultralight route.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

slidebite posted:

Is the reason they haven't sold because they cost so much more than the superbugs or is there something else underlying?

Probably because the don't sprinkle their subcontracts over enough area and in enough states to get massive support behind their projects like Lockmart does. Also I'm pretty sure the F-22/35 pitch meetings went like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Canada is going to do the Canadian thing...

...dick around until the Liberals are back in power, can the plans to get the F-35, start a new study that will take 13 years and a few billion, come to the conclusion that the Super Hornet is the best plane of the job, then the Conservatives get a majority and the F-35 is back on the table. All the while the F-18s we have are falling apart and we've cannibalized the fleet to the extent that rugby players from South America would get the chills.

It's the Canadian way!