Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Preoptopus posted:

Santa flies mach 3 at 80,000 feet?

Best part of the whole thing. "Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground." :smug:
Our radar displays only show two digit speed in tens and hundreds. Not sure how they got such a specific figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Boomerjinks posted:

Trying to land a U-2 is a loving bitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eamnTyfkUBY

This video perplexes me. It seems like only some of the landings have the wing mounted wheels down. Where are they on the other landings?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Ola posted:

It is an aerobatic plane with full inverted fuel/oil systems. I talked a bit with the pilot on youtube and if you read through the comments he explains himself very well. Seems like a top guy as opposed to the masses of twats in the comments.

Here's a video with his explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT1QGG1510w

Even with his explanation, I don't think I quite understand why normal spin recovery techniques didn't work at first. He mentions the ailerons being the only loaded control surfaces (albeit slightly) during the spin, when normally it's the rudder that kicks you out of the unwanted rotation.

Any more experienced pilots that could further explain this?

One of my favorite videos though, that man does a great job of keeping his cool and solving the problem.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
He had the right idea by using monitors for his instruments behind the metal panel. Though it looks like he did shell out for a few fully functional instruments in spots. Those things are like $500 each.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nerobro posted:

And again, for the given example, we're talking takeoff. It's not like you can miss the SKY.

I don't necessarily want to weigh in on the proven/estimated impact of cell phones. But departure is not as simple as you make it sound. These days, especially out of busy airports, there are all sorts of precise navigation requirements to fly prescribed departure routes and remain clear of simultaneously departing traffic.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Any possibility that it was a Piaggio P180 Avanti? They don't look super similar side to side, but they're of similar build. Twin engine pusher prop, with front canards.

The Avanti looks like a fat bug though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Looks like a very rapidly yawing airplane to me. And at maneuvering speed, it shouldn't be ripping itself apart even with full control deflections. Shouldn't.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Those things are tweaked so precisely that the prop wash is enough to get the tail off the ground.

I love the huge tires on some of them too. Just bounce it on the surface and done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMlgc1saHs

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Speaking of T45s, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. How the hell do single engine props catch T45s on final? This should not be.

Also, it takes military trainers waaaay too long to exit the runway. You guys could take a tip from Southwest and burn rubber on the turns!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Maybe they were just going around. Again and again and again.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well I wasn't... but now maybe...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well it was a Lancair, so that explains the sexiness.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I only manage a semi monocoque on most mornings

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Alpine Mustache posted:

Is there something about the Airbus FCS that makes pulling back on the stick during a stall the correct thing to do?

Nope, this was 100% the wrong input to make and he made it for the entire duration of the accident sequence, defying all logic.

quote:

I know that if you fly into a cloud, the lack of any outside references can be very disorienting for some people, may he felt like the nose was dropping rapidly when it really wasn't.

Possible, but the entire purpose of obtaining an instrument rating is to train yourself to fly by instruments and not by feeling when inside clouds. As experienced as this aircrew was, spatial disorientation should not have been a factor. That's more of something that comes up with sub 100 hr private instrument pilots. An experienced commercial aircrew should not be vulnerable to that kind of stimulus. Not saying it didn't happen, but it SHOULDN'T when your combined aircrew experience is 50,000+ hours or whatever.

quote:

Shouldn't there be an attitude indicator/artificial horizon in the cockpit that any one of them could have looked at to try and get the plane leveled out?

There was, they ignored it. They also ignored the airspeed indicator when it returned to functionality, indicating that they were slowing down (this indicates a climb, especially when cross referenced with the altimeter and Vertical Speed Indicator). They failed to properly absorb what their instruments were telling them.

quote:

I was also confused while reading the whole thing because until now i didn't realize airbus had fighter-jet style control sticks instead of a more traditional yoke(yolk?), and i couldn't understand how the 2nd pilot couldn't tell the first pilot had the stick pulled back the whole time?

Until today I didn't realize those side sticks weren't linked. I don't think side sticks are inherently more dangerous than a traditional Yoke, but I'm surprised to know that Airbus pilots have no idea what their buddy is doing on the controls, without visually checking.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

kill me now posted:

mean how do you have an angle of attack of 40 degrees and not see that on your instruments?

I think AoA instruction should be vastly more emphasized in all phases of pilot training. I wonder if the 330 even has an AoA indicator. Most civilian aircraft don't.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I thought earlier posts about "flying out of the stall" were interesting, as a private pilot with experience in only smaller aircraft.

Turns out the FAA is changing its position on stall recovery recommendations. Folks should now focus on reducing AoA via pitch as well as increasing power.

Excerpt from the Advisory Circular:

quote:

a. Recovery Procedures. This AC emphasizes both recognizing a stall event and
completing the manufacturer-approved stall recovery procedures developed using the stall
recovery template found in Chapter 5. Previous training and evaluation profiles that required a
specific set of precise entry and recovery procedures have been replaced with scenario-based
situations that are designed to replicate real world events. Additionally, recovery profiles that
emphasize zero or minimal altitude loss and the immediate advancement of maximum power
have been reevaluated. Emphasis is now placed on recognition and avoidance of those conditions
that, if not corrected, will lead to a stalled condition. Recommended recovery procedures are
based on eliminating the event(s) that may lead to a stalled condition. Recommended recovery
procedures now emphasize:

-The immediate reduction of the aircraft’s AOA,
-Judicious management of thrust, and
-Returning the aircraft to a safe flying condition.

AVSIM Summary

Link to FAA Advisory Circular (PDF/DOC)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'd love to read it. As a matching good will gesture, I promise to send it out to the next interested goon after I read it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

co199 posted:

Do civilian airliners have the capability of underwing tanks? If it can only go 8000nm on a full load of fuel and it went 9000nm, where'd it get the extra fuel?

The internal tanks are already physically capable of holding that larger amount of fuel, but you become weight limited when adding seats/passengers/luggage.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It feels like not getting anywhere quickly.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It might be the Eagle-keeper in me but it isn't a fast jet flyover it isn't a flyover :911:

Ha, you would have loved the Astros game in Corpus earlier this week, with a T-34 flyover.

Impressive!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Non transponder aircraft are allowed in Class D and E airspace, which are controlled. Class E airspace makes up a good chunk of all airspace in the US.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
As a terminal radar controller, I've issued plenty of non-squawking traffic to pilots and have been met by shock and amazement at times, because it turned out to be some biplane or crop duster at their altitude.

Hell, on my private pilot check ride, we nearly hit a Mooney who wasn't squawking. We had flight following and the traffic was called, which helped us out a lot. I was under the hood at the time, the examiner saw him.

Non transponder aircraft can be very difficult to notice on radar, and there are butt loads of false targets.

I dunno what my point it really. TCAS is great but let's all keep our eyes out the window too!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

Finding the real + or . on a busy day doesn't seem easy.

On the terminal ARTS IIE system (round green scope with the sweep) it would actually put a small digital diamond target over primaries it thought were aircraft.

My current facility has STARS (rectangular display, color, no sweep) and it doesn't tag primaries at all. They're just small dark blue blips that move around slowly against a black background. I've often wondered about the reasoning behind making them less noticeable on the newer equipment.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The SkyTrain at DFW should get you to your terminal fairly quickly. Ten min tops.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Maybe it's just my sense of career self preservation, but I don't see how a remote video tower operation would be any better for air traffic than having people on the field.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've said it before. But the cockpit voice recorder transcript for the above Pinnacle Airlines accident is just awful.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Interesting note. That controller was suspended (along with his supervisor I think) for several months pending an investigation after a media shitstorm regarding that recording.

He was later reinstated with back pay. But what an awful time his family must have gone through. Even if the dad didn't say anything, if that kid ever saw the television with the news on, he would have felt terrible.

Our union publicly condemned the controller, but I'm sure union representation was involved in the reinstatement/compensation process for him(the supervisor would have been on his own, not being a union member). It got so loving political for no reason, there was never a safety compromise.

Some loudmouth in the media compared it to letting a surgeon allowing his child to make incisions on a patient.

A more rational correspondent on TV said "No, it's more like composing an email to a client and letting your child click the 'Send' button."

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 29, 2012

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Not to rain on this parade, but I found it difficult to understand the kid, and that can turn congested airspace into a dangerous situation. Glad the dude is back in the seat, though. Good ATC is a loving godsend.

The kid was really only speaking to aircraft which had one available command to receive. The dad was issuing more complex instructions. Aircraft already holding in position on the runway are expecting to hear their takeoff clearance. Same thing for the switch to departure after wheels up. I didn't find the kid difficult to understand at all.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
737-900 cabin interior

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tenchrono posted:

Thought this was a cool little thing I saw on the news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbg8UH50fA&sns=em

Plane hits an SUV while attempting to land. Everyone is safe.

Quite a bit of discussion about that situation around a few pilot forums. The video description is pretty accurate.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

slidebite posted:

Thanks. When you say regieme, what do you mean exactly? IFR? Night or geographic location?

In the US, some amount of minor maintenance can be performed by the owner. Generally things not involving drastic disassembly of the structure or change in the avionics. For example, changing the oil, repairing interiors, other small tasks.

Larger undertakings can still be performed by the pilot under the supervision (sign off) of a licensed mechanic.

Experimental home built aircraft in the US can be completely serviced by the person who completed more than 50% of the aircraft's assembly. If the owner who built the plane sells it later, the new owner needs the above mentioned supervision. The original builder could still service the airplane. I may be somewhat off on the particulars of this, I've only lurked around the Vans RV forums casually and I'm going off what I've read.

Also, tirefoamcan's post reminded me to remind you guys that Ask/Tell has an aviation megathread going on for folks interested in being a pilot or who are pilots. It's found here in case anyone doesn't already know it exists.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 9, 2012

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I carry two E6Bs with me and they never ever get used.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

vulturesrow posted:

I asked this before but it might have got lost in the noise. Does anyone fly with a tablet and software like Foreflight or Garmin Pilot? The reason I ask is because I've been testing out Garmin Pilot on my Nexus 7 and I like it a lot. However the GPS reception in the aircraft is poo poo. This doesn't really jive with what Ive read on various other forums. Then again those guys are all flying GA aircraft and probably have less metal around them than I do, especially I since I sit just aft of the cockpit in the FE jump seat. I'm guessin I'll probably have to invest in one of the available Bluetooth GPS antennas but I'm just trying to get an idea of what others' experience is with this stuff.

Many many GA pilots fly with such equipment and software. In smaller planes, the GPS might have an easier time getting a signal, but I think more commonly pilots will have an external blue tooth GPS antenna sitting on top of the dash. They start around $100.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sagebrush posted:

I've heard that it's quite common for the pilots on long, boring flights to screw around with laptops or iPads or whatever, even to the point of watching movies and playing video games. I've even heard some suggestions that Warcraft III (or some other game) was what caused NWA 188 to overfly its destination by a full hour. True or false?

Personal electronics use definitely occurs behind closed doors.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ctishman posted:

One first question, and it's a real basic one: How do you pronounce "GROL" (as in General Radiotelephone Operator's License)?

Is it Groll (like VOR) or Gee-Roll (like TCAS or CFIT)?

I don't know for sure. But VOR is pronounced VEE OH ARR. I hadn't heard "SEE FIT" for CFIT before but I also haven't heard it spoken out loud at all. "TEE KAHSS" is something I hear a lot though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hang on to it. Buy even more tomorrow.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Are we out of luck with manufacturer stocks too?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The pilot's description of the sequence in the associated video is great too:

http://youtu.be/TT1QGG1510w

ctishman posted:

Anyone have a working non-Youtube link to that Lufthansa SFO approach video that was up a few days back? Some German media conglomerate killjoy made the copyright complaint rounds on most of 'em.

Try this link:

http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding/

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 22, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are those built at Mirabel? (or am I atrocious at IDing bizjets?)

It's a Bombardier Global Express, so I expect you're correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Not to mention, GLEXs are way more pretty than CRJs. They look like glowing angels on approach to land.