Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TimingBelt posted:

Also for fighter buffs, this is kind of specific, what was the last confirmed air kill for the USAF( or any modern air force) that was achieved by using the plane's Cannon?

Already mentioned above is the A-10. An F-22 got an exercise cannon kill, but who cares.

Several air forces have used cannon to bring down gun/drug-smugglers, but that's not exactly dogfight material so much as shooting down fleeing unarmed aircraft material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the F-117 was cool in the 90s for showing up out of nowhere and dropping a bunker buster on your commo node, HQ, radome, power plant, etc. But it's just not a great air support platform and we have better ways to nail such high priority targets now.

It's also just not that stealthy.

Edit for photos: The F-5 is the most gorgeous jet fighter ever. Look how small and awesome it is next to this far more capable far more fat and piggish F-15.

Having oodles of money and owning a private T-38 (trainer version of F-5) would be the best thing ever. I am envious of the Nasa pilots who fly these things over the city all the time down here.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 12, 2010

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Preoptopus posted:

All I see is a Nissan GTR sitting next to a Miata

Hahaha, I very nearly compared this to a Miata next to a Murcialago, but I think Miata next to GTR is better.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
So I've seen the Super Guppy flying over the city tons of times, but I saw it make one hell of a weird landing the other day when it came skirting over the mountains then dove and banked hard to the left in order to line up with a runway, levevling out far lower than usual. I've seen the T-38s, Tornadoes, and Gulfstream jets do that, but never the Guppy. When I first saw it banked hard to the side and still diving toward the base I thought it was going down until it leveled out at the last moment.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I saw one of these in person for the first time a few days ago as it buzzed over our SAM site. The one I saw was cammo rather than the gaudy show colors. It is the smallest manned jet in the world.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Boomerjinks posted:

Wait, what now? Tell me more, now please!

I'm in an Army Patriot Battalion and we just got back from WTI, which is a course in the mountains outside Yuma, AZ that trains up primarily Marines who will be planners of offensive and defensive air warfare. Ground-based air defense units, Air Force aircraft, Marine aircraft, Navy aircraft, and a few coalition aircraft take part. We proceed to execute whatever plan the students worked out. If the plan sucks, we die, and they refine their plans for the next evolution.

The scenario simulates a scenario in which the friendly country initially only has ground-based air defense and over time becomes reinforced with more and more friendly aircraft until the last iteration where the Marines practice assaulting into the aggressor country, which is when ground-based air defense units like mine switch sides and play the enemy trying to defend their homeland.

Those tiny SMART-1 jets are used to simulate cruise missiles since they are harder for some radars to pick up, and they fly the things at very low level.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 11, 2010

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Tomcats are amazingly gigantic.

You don't really get a sense of the size of a modern fighter until you see one parked near a B-17 (the Tomcat is exceptionally big).

Reposting for size comparison because F-15s, F-14s, and F-22s are big:

The F-5 is small and awesome*

We've been seeing the usual steady stream of NASA F-5 flights along with a bunch of F-22 flights lately, and the F-22s are monsters compared to the F-5s.

*I know they're not that capable next to modern aircraft, but I love them anyway. I got a real kick out of their mad suicide runs trying to use dumb bombs on us in our last joint exercise. It didn't work well for them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Are you sure they're NASA's F-5s and not Air Force or Navy T-38s? Both services use T-38s as aggressors. The Navy uses them more, but the AF routinely puts F-22s against T-38s. Small RCS, high maneuverability, and good acceleration offer a different set of challenges from fighting F-15s and even F-16s, even if the Talon doesn't have a radar.

To clarify, the ones we "fought" in the joint exercise were Marine trainers IIRC, maybe Air Force?

The ones I see in El Paso are definitely NASA painted shock white. We have a bunch of NASA planes here, including a super guppy.

edit: this article makes some offhanded mention of the NASA T-38s in El Paso
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wstf/news/shuttle.html

I also use T-38 and F-5 interchangeably which is technically wrong, but whatever.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 28, 2010

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Crossposting from TFR. These were all taken over the last 2 months at MCAS Yuma, aside from the one picture of the UAS.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

IIRC it was modified with that lengthened nose/sensor package to serve as a UAV stand-in during LFEs at Yuma, so they can get the UAV effect in a cheaper, simpler, easier to operate package (also without having to worry as much about airspace deconfliction, I imagine), since it's not like you'll need the 15 hour loiter time during a LFE or whatever.

Yeah, pretty sure it was used as a UAV stand-in just due to lack of enough UAVs to generate sorties on the required days, particularly since RQ-7Bs are much more shortlegged than things like Predators. OA-2s can also operate in worse weather than the RQ-7B. It may have also done some search and rescue, but I'm not sure.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

What the hell is that thing?

Hawker Hunter strapped with jamming pods run by a civilian agency that plays OPFOR for the military.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Suicide Watch posted:

Did you take these photos? because they're loving awesome. The flare/sunset ones are particularly great.

I wish I could take photos this well. No, I got them from the MAWTS-1 combat camera site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mawts-1comcam/collections/

There are hundreds of pictures in there. You can also get pictures from there in huge sizes.

edit: I was physically present, but the only camera I had was on an old phone, so... yeah.

edit2: The F5, Hawker Hunter, and EA-6B pictures were from a guy who makes a hobby of going to joint exercises and taking photos of aircraft as they take off or land.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ned_harris/sets/72157629512281784/

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 3, 2012

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain Postal posted:

Care to elaborate? Last time I was paying attention the -B was an unholy mess responsible for the whole programme being a disaster, but the whole "no service branch" left behind was preventing the thing from being dumped. What happened to the -C?

It can't land on aircraft carriers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Preoptopus posted:

I just flew on a Alitalia A330. Honestly, minus the lovely movie, everything else was pretty much the best flight I have ever been on.

I think the best flight I've been on was a 777 run by Etihad Airways. It did a fantastic job of making a miserable nonstop flight from Chicago to Abu Dhabi bearable. Also, lots of movie and TV selections, since everyone gets their own touchscreen TV system in economy class.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wicaeed posted:

:catstare: That doesn't look dangerous at all

Say what you will, but strap a helmet, goggles, oxygen tank, and lifejacket to me and I would hoon around in that all day.

You know, if someone else is paying for it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slo-Tek posted:

Indeed, there is no way Tony 'International Drunkard' Stark hadn't eaten a Schawarma before.

Yeah, to be honest, this bothered me more than any technical issues. Because, seriously, you're gonna whine about turbine science when there's a flying aircraft carrier with two demi-gods, a mutant ultra-beast, and man from WWII on board?

I did really like how they obviously had movie-prop shells of Harriers and some other trainer sitting around everywhere, but when it came time for actual flights, they just threw in CGI F-35s out of nowhere.

But yeah, I love the idea of a big stealth insane aircraft carrier airship for the purpose of transporting around some antiquated Harriers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Geizkragen posted:

Haha no. They asked to see the flags. I fell out of the basket about .000001 sec after that was taken.

Better than the basket falling out of the plane. The incidents in this video must have led to a lot of headaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckOaHGMEQ68

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
QF-4s are pretty cool. At first I didn't realize they fly manned when not being used for actual gunnery and was loving surprised to see a drone F-4 scream over our position about 300 feet off the deck.

I'm part of a test where we can't tell the radar operators if the aircraft they are seeing are real or transparently simulated. When the real aircraft are cruising at 20,000 feet it's easy to keep that info under wraps. When the planes rattle the walls, it's pretty obvious that they're real.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh, gee, an AMRAAM not hitting its target?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
eh, nm

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mr.Peabody posted:

The military retrofits F-4s into UAVs and then uses them for live fire training over the gulf. Just Youtube for QF-4 drone and you'll see results like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xISpZYajveA

No, I think Godholio was saying there's probably a better reason than "lol AMRAAM" for the AMRAAMs to be missing so much, like maybe the F-4 was fitted with some sort of jamming suite or a third party aircraft was providing jamming or something.

Regardless, lol AMRAAM.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Delivery McGee posted:

Also what was the op where they did try to use Super Stallions in the desert and then whoops a sandstorm crippled half the birds?

Sounds like you're describing Eagle Claw. It wasn't so much that sandstorms crippled the birds as they contributed to poor visibility resulting in a Stallion slamming into a Herc tanker, which pretty much ruined everything for everyone except the Iranians.

Iran still flies the Stallion(s) they captured.

edit: regarding Wild Weasels, they make me nervous ever since one mistook a Patriot battery for an SA-2 site and put a HARM up a Patriot radar's rear end moments after a bunch of people were standing around the radar.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

eggyolk posted:

According to this picture his Cessna had a wingspan of about 230 feet.

Also, that dude was a giant and should have just landed and stomped out the enemy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
A guy trying to beat the skydivers he drops off in the air back to base: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=20a_1355531018

The real action starts about 2:25 in. It's pretty awesome how smoothly he pulls this off, but all I can see is completely unnecessary risk.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

grover posted:

:wth:

He didn't leave much room for error there, did he?

It reminds me of the insane landings I would do in flight simulators back when I played those entirely too much. Except in simulators, if I blew up every fifth attempt, it didn't really matter.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mike-o posted:

I am literally going to punch in the balls the next pilot that uses "Sail" as the music for their loving video.

What if it's a sailing video?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Has the F-35B's added weight and power compared to the AV-8B led to issues with the surfaces it does or can land on? While talking with some Harrier pilots, somehow the subject of vertical landings on surfaces other than ships or tarmacs came up and one described landing on dirt or even asphalt as "digging your own grave" with the engine and hoping you could crawl back out of it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slo-Tek posted:

This was my 4th of July, not bad, really.

I see you were also in St. Louis yesterday. I'm about to go to the airport to fly in the B-17.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 5, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Unicom posted:

The CNN breaking news live cast is absolutely painful.

Spun like a top!

Saw this crash news on Frontier flight TV system as we took if.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hasn't this airline flown 777s into SFO many times, recently, just fine? Hard to imagine they've been manually correcting the autopilot every time and this time that messed up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have to go through my video/pictures and edit things down, but here's a small taste of Aluminum Overcast from two days ago.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tickets were the same price across the board, but the instant they take off and pull up their gear, everyone is permitted to get up and move around the aircraft. The crew chief shuttles people about to make sure everyone gets to see the entire airplane. For takeoff/landing I was in the seats by the waist gunner positions. The only place we couldn't go during flight was the tail gunner section and the ball turret.

Also, they were cool with people showing up and taking pictures of it on the ground, walking around it, and watching takeoffs/landings, even if they had no tickets to fly.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've been buzzed at low altitude by a lot of military aircraft, but nothing compares to a bone under 500 feet going over 600 knots at full burn.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

block51 posted:

You sir, have clearly never experienced a hovering AV-8B. That being said a B-1 is fuckoff loud, especially with the afterburners going. It's fun to watch such a large plane handle so amazingly.

Maybe I was just exceptionally close to the stupid low b-1 passes, given that it was purposefully buzzing my precise location, but it blew the hell out of the sound of even a pair of hovering harriers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Does anyone else ever notice when things like 4th of July, USO, or other "support our troops" decorations have airplanes, about half the time they're not even American? It always jumps out at me when there's a Flanker or something up there next to an American flag. The local Walmart had a July 4th thing up that had Block-60 F-16s (UAE is the only country using those).

The DNC caught flak for featuring Russian ships and some other nation's F-5s with an American flag.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
All of this toy chat has me thinking that I need to get my nephew something soon for his Birthday, and if I get him a plane/helo/etc, who makes good quality ones that aren't expensive ($30ish?). He's quite mechanical for his age of 7, and doesn't seem to go for big chunky things.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
People freak out about how evil and awesome the Pluto would have been, but seem not to acknowledge that it never did fly and probably would never have flown even if they tried.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Check out the robot jockeys used for camel races in the UAE and other countries. They have a road next to the track where all the owners/controllers ride in their luxury SUVs with a button that makes the robot whip the camel to go faster. They just drive next to their camel. It's a better system than using children like they were doing until a couple of years ago, I guess.

I watched a lot of camel racing on tv when I was deployed. The races were oddly funny and relaxing, and the pre race tight shots of camels like they're cars were great.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

grover posted:

Oh gently caress! IF those commentators are right, the Chinese have reached parity with late 70s US technology!!!

Maybe you were being sarcastic, but it's not like the Apaches of today are anywhere close to the same as Apaches of the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

grover posted:

Looked like it might actually be using some low-observable technology to reduce the RCS, too. Don't think it'll keep it from being a missile/bullet sponge, though. Karbala really was a turning point.

Karbala was a really idiotic idea, attempting to use Apaches for poo poo they aren't good at, walking into an ambush full of RPGs, small arms, and full up anti-aircraft cannons emplaced in hides while ROE dictated they not just light everything the gently caress up. It really doesn't mean gunships are outdated in general. They still make fine vehicle killers when they are used in a way that isn't utterly stupid.