Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

ApathyGifted posted:

What's more clever is doing away with the windshield entirely and using cameras instead. Saves you a couple tons of machinery that is probably harder to maintain and less reliable than the cameras hooked to LCD screens.

Someone will undoubtedly say "well what do you do if the cameras fail?"

To which I respond: What do you do if the nose-lowering machinery fails? You still can't see dick because of a giant nose and heat shield in front of you.

Its much easier to trouble shoot those type of mechanical problems than electrical problems midflight. You would be surprised at how many passenger jet aircraft that have an emergency crank or pins accessible by the crew to manually lower the gear/nose/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

ApathyGifted posted:

But this is countered by how much easier it is to add redundancy to an electronic system. Don't even bother troubleshooting, just switch to one of 3 independent backups.

Okay... poweroutage caused by a short or something underneath your instruments. No magnetos or batteries online. How do you navigate. While I have never experienced all those failures at once in my brief history of flying, they train you for it.

edit: it would also take some type of ridiculously small focal length lense like 8mm to get your entire field of view. This would also heavily distort the image and make far away objects near invisible to see. Let alone if you wanted to just look out the left wing of the plane to see if you are making the correct distance to the base turn of the airport. Unless you want to play with joysticks/separate camera to see different viewpoints, and that adds a whole different level of possible pilot error during the most vulnerable time for an aircraft. Takeoff/Landing

edit2: Also if you have three backup systems(unheard of in aviation, rule is mostly 2 if that)that dramatically increases the weight of the aircraft and reduces the fuel/passengers/cargo you can haul say compared to a thick pane of glass.

edit3: VVV That also;although I'm sure he's cooking up laser distance finder you could point through the .. uh. joystick?

Entone fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 6, 2010

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Needs more pics.

My favorite piston engine aircraft. Supposedly a new replica with an abortion of a canopy, but I don't care.

(C) Richard Seamen

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

ApathyGifted posted:

...The article I linked was about using a camera system on the High Speed Civil Transport.

Going cameras on a military aircraft is bad (unless it was some insane high altitude waveriding bomber, which at that point you've got unmanned ICBM's, so who cares?) since you need to have as much visibility as possible what with missiles and other planes and all the other poo poo trying to kill you from every direction.

General aviation is like that. Substitute missles with flocks of birds, aircraft trying to kill you with meandering aircraft not on your tower's frequency trying to kill you, and you still haven't addressed how to look 180 degrees in front the plane. Let alone the times I had to lean forward, put my head to the side glass and look back. The computer games/simulations do it because its a simulation, and you can use a joystick to move the pilots head. Not applicable in real life.

edit: and really how much do you think windows weigh in comparison to triple redundant cameras/power.
edit2:Grammar and lack of sleep really don't go well together.

Entone fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 6, 2010

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

ApathyGifted posted:

We're talking about replacing the droop nose of aircraft like the Concorde and Tu-144 with cameras and TV screens, not the Cessna down at your local airstrip. If your Cessna has a droop nose I want pictures.

And the guy I was quoting in the post you're replying to said Commercial aviation, not General.

IFR is IFR. Regardless if its an American Airlines 737 from DFW or a Learjet out of a municipal. The same rules still apply. You still didn't address a single concern I had about the cameras, besides triple redundancy :rolleyes:, regardless of airframe.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I'm pretty sure this wasn't posted, but if it was... damnnn this guy is lucky.

26 Turn Flat Spin in a Tipsy Nipper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvbS-oHi9ro

Having an accident and totaling the plane under my belt, this makes my back hurt just watching. How has someone with that much experience, as described in the comments, never heard the protocol for a power off stall that turns flat? Just watching I wanted to neutralize the ailerons, apply hard left rudder, pitch down, and lean forward. Perhaps his COG was too far back, being in a small rear end kitweird british manufactured plane? Going by the wiki picture it seems to have an awfully high angle of attack and possible really far back COG. It looks like if you have a pilot taller than 5'5", he would be past the center point of lift in the wing.
edit: The plane has a 1400-1500cc engine. No way would that balance out the load on the horizontal stabilizer with a pilot far back.

I was working on my vfr, and the instructor even brought it up around hour 10-15 about what to do during if the spin you enter goes flat. Although, we are both pretty much airplane geeks, and we always had plenty of time to talk flying out to the practice area NE of a field in the Dallas Metroplex in a slow rear end Cessna.

edit2:VV I found the pilots comments posted on the tipsynipper forum. Seems like I was right about the COG

Neil from tippsynipper.com posted:

I am in "correspondance" with the AAIB, so cannot say too much now, except:
If you are going to aerobat your aircraft:
Get proffessional spin training and keep current
Learn how to get your aircraft to spin flat, then you will know what not to do
If you are going to spin it make sure your entry height is sufficient
Check that the W&B of your aircraft is current
If the W&B is more than a couple of years old get it weighed
CHECK THE CofG
Dont spin an aircraft when the CofG is close to the aft limit.
He's a lucky son of a bitch for having an aircraft out of W&B

edit3:Why would you try an aerobatic maneuver in this little, underpowered thing to begin with?

Entone fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 24, 2010

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I posted this picture from flight school in the A/T Aviation thread. I had to reshare it; PiperSports are too drat sexy.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

The NTSB is back up, but that link is outdated.

You can search by accident number, NYC08FA023, or goto this link: Things not to do as a pilot/builder

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

This photo has been making the rounds on some av-blogs. DC flight sunk into the tarmac from the excessive temps.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Captain Postal posted:

Hey, they may look funny but show some respect. Back in the day a pilot I know was doing a shake-down flight on an SP (no pax/cargo, super light weight) and he and the pilot looked at each other, said "gently caress it" and put the hammer down just to see what would happen. They hit about M = 0.98 with plenty of throttle left before they decided that it had gone from "gently caress yeah!" fun to "oh gently caress!" fun and that they had better back off.

A 747-SP would probably break the sound barrier if you can find a pilot with a deathwish.

It looks like some unwilling Air China pilot may have already been there.

http://everything2.com/user/archiewood/writeups/airliners+that+have+gone+supersonic+and+survived

There isn't too many interviews or indepth tracking about the AC Flight 006, but the SuperSonic Douglass DC-8 interview has a couple fascinating tid-bits.

Guy basically dove a DC-8 into a M1.01 dive where he couldn't use the control surfaces, and the plane was working without slats for takeoff because of some damage on the ramp.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

How about some GA photos? I posted them in the other thread, but I figured that they would be appropriate here too,

I rented a SportCruiser in Santa Monica and took a friend in from Brazil to a small mounation airport about an hour North of LA. My friend took a ton of photos, but my laptop completely died. I can post some pics of LA during civil twilight another time.

Getting checked out: (took 45min but I decided to go back up with the instructor for a second flight anyway... It's been about 7mo since I've flown and I use to think that DFW airspace was crazy..)

Enroute with friend:

Tehachapi Mountains:

Mojave wind farm:

We made it to mountain valley (L94)! It was probably one of my most difficult landings to date. There was a direct crosswind at 10G15 on a tiny 36ft wide runway that was really about 20ft of pavement. Too bad there weren't any airport barbers as I look goofy as poo poo in the only photo that turned out...

Edit: can someone pm or reply if I broke the hell out of the tables or the photos are ginormous? I used an app to resize them, but something doesn't look right.Maybe it's just the tablet?

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

PainterofCrap posted:

And I thought having someone puke down inside my car door was a bitch to clean out.

On my discovery flight eight years ago, I had two of my cousins in the back of a 172. The oldest one puked when we were in a bank traveling around 100knots. The second one puked shortly after. Neither made it into a barf bag.

It was a long, disgusting flight back to KTKI. I felt really bad for the CFI, and gave him an extra $20 when we landed. I still don't think that was enough of tip.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

smackfu posted:

drat, that's a pretty big temporary hangar.

I'm pretty sure that's the damaged manufacturing floor. I found a pic of the portable hanger.

edit: You probably just meant it's a huge rear end temporary hanger from the wing span. Overworked and exhausted...

Entone fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 7, 2013

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Three amazing videos of Aerial Firefighters(Bombadier 415?) reloading in Irwindale,CA.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=81c_1390184217

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Crescendo posted:

Just out of interest, what do pilots say over the intercom to the passengers after a missed approach, if anything?

I imagine they try to be casual and diplomatic about it, so nervous people don't get the wrong idea. Or do the passengers not even notice/care?

I was on a flight to DFW once and we had to do a go-around. It kinda made everyone nervous, but I just said to my family that there was probably something on the runway. Sure enough once the aircraft was cleaned up on TO/GO, the pilot came on the intercom and said "We have to do one more run around the pattern. There was a dead coyote on the runway."

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'll never say a bad word about US Air because they saved me from missing the opening of a conference in Galveston I was a speaker at when every other goddamned airline in Newark had no flights to Houston left scheduled for that day.

US Air always seemed to have the slowest and most incompetent employees, but they make up for it by boarding earlier and taking more time to account. To give them credit, I had a flight from Columbus to DFW through ATL that was going to have a cancellation on the second leg. Their booking system automatically rerouted me through DTW.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

AzureSkys posted:

Something I think business jet sized was just departing KBFI and just as they powered up and began rolling there were 3 deep booms that echoed all over the area. Was that a compressor stall or surge? They immediately powered down and pulled off the runway.

What kind of inspection happens after that? I don't see anything on flightaware to check what flight it was.

That happened to me on an American Airlines flight around 10 years ago. I believe it was an md80. We powered up on the runway and way before v1 it happened. The pilot pulled off the runway, went through some checklist and said one of the most memorable things that I've heard a pilot say. "We picked up a few red lights on takeoff. I went back over everything and it appears okay. We'll try the takeoff again." The rest of the flight was smooth and unremarkable.

Entone fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 11, 2014

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Back to some AI. JATO assisted Ercoupe takeoffs! Would this still be considered light sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0mKobISt4

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I had a flight on a Southwest 737-8 to love field today. We landed on 31R, and that approach has an amazing view of downtown from the left window.

edit: Slightly less pixelated... slightly.

Entone fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 12, 2014

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

slidebite posted:

Yeah.

poo poo.

I'll man up and get some of that up. Reno was tough for action shots but the static displays were OK. I'll do some tomorrow, promise.

Is there a little utility that allows me to resize a crap load of photos in one swoop? Opening each and resizing sucks.

Someone rewrote the Windows XP Image Resizer powertoy for Windows 7/8. https://imageresizer.codeplex.com

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

hobbesmaster posted:

So how tall is that nose wheel. :allears:

It appears to be B-36 Sized

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

thetechnoloser posted:

I'm really impressed, actually. I know that's sped up as all hell, and they probably edited out some crew unlocking bits here and there, but I figured there was no way that was automated to that extent.

The regular speed version gives the impression of some creature waking up from a long nap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPRhdjSFWgU

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

This thread: came for the airplanes, stayed for the insane anything-related-to-airplanes apologists who think that lasers are only tools for blinding pilots, all noise concerns around airports are obviously frivolous and solely from 1%-er NIMBY assholes, and any sort of budgetary concern around a military aircraft is patently evil. To date, I've never been let down.

Hey now, Lasers can be used to blind astronauts too:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/krypton posted:

The unbroken beam of unbelievably green light is strong enough to point out individual stars in the sky, and be seen in return by astronauts in space.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Inacio posted:

What are the advantages, if any, of a V-tail design?

There is less interference drag from fewer structures that interact with the relative wind. It's also a bit lighter.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Cat Mattress posted:

Another thing that the synchrotor avoids is this issue:

In unrelated news, here's something cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzYb68qXpD0

It looks more plausible than the Moller skycar because it doesn't try to be VTOL with ducted fans.

I always wonder how much insurance would cost on a flying car. It's not like a regular car where someone rear ending, or dinging, it can cause a control surface and engine failure plus the cost of re-certifying the airplane.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Agh, I've been so busy that I forgot to post this earlier.

There is a Kickstarter out there, from a company with a history of actually delivering documentaries, about Burt Rutan and his new Amphibian LSA Motorglider. They are about $2300 and 3 days away from making their stretch goals to help upgrade the quality of the equipment to mount to mount on the SkiGull.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antennafilms/looking-up-way-up-the-burt-rutan-story

Entone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 25, 2015

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No one's posted this yet, so I guess I've got linking honors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCFWKBoV7E

Preview:

They also have a 360° view; where, it's possible to pan the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125gutRd8rk

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

This popped up in my local pilots group, and I don't recall this being posted here. It's the cabin of the Challenger 604 that hit the A380 turbulence.

Sauce

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

This was pretty neat. I was driving near Lakehills, TX, and a few supercells moved into the area. Just as I was leaving the area, we were placed under a flash flood warning. I decided to stay ahead of the storm; since, the road I was on can flood out.

When I looked up at the leading edge of the cell, I noticed a black trail of smoke, and the glow of an afterburner. He booked it to around a quarter to half mile from the most prominent formation in the cell and turned a few circles. Are there any aviation based atmospheric research programs in the area? My best guess is that it was probably a T-38 from Randolph playing around.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

drunkill posted:

Nasa uses 3 WB-57 Canberras as storm chasers don't they? Based out of Johnson Space Centre, Houston

E: High altitude atmospheric scientific flights and also communications testing over Afghanistan. What a broad role.

The spacing on the WB-57 engines looks too broad. The red glow was either a single engine or twin with little spacing between the engines.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

:swoon:

it's like a super cub with cancerous growths

I think you mean a pituitary gland disorder. AN-3T's are freaking huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fuTFGFEfL0&t=11s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

slidebite posted:

That's pretty cool. Interesting that its still grounding through the big tire.

It's a myth that rubber tires help vehicles from being struck by lightning. It might help the current choose a better path through a tree or a rod nearby, but the current can travel tens to hundreds of miles. A few more feet around a wet tire isn't that much.