Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The greatest thing about the Nazi super weapons is that despite being so awesome in concept they were so overly complicated, impractical and failure prone that their existence didn't help their war effort. I really wish they'd built a few P. 1000 Ratte's, they would have made great museum pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

They didn't actually touch it, or at least they weren't supposed to but some accidentally did.

By flying the Spit wing under the V-1's wing, the V-1's wing got more lift, tipping the missile towards one side. It didn't have roll channel stabilization so it just tipped further and further and death spiralled down.

My grandfather said that he'd heard RAF pilots talk about doing such a thing when he was overseas during the war. Even so, you had to get your wing within a foot or less of the V-1 wing to get it to flip. Ballsy as hell.

He also said that an RAF fighter pilot was the last person you wanted to gently caress with. His take on them was that they were fighting tooth and nail with the Germans to keep them from bombing the poo poo out of cities filled with their family and friends. This led to a 'never back down' attitude that carried over to everything, including the occasional very nasty bar fight.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know how every time someone makes a car also be a boat it's a loving horrible idea because you end up with a kinda lovely car and a kinda lovely boat rolled up into one super expensive high maintenance turd?

Same with making a plane also be like a helicopter.

Now, making a plane be a boat, somehow that works out quite nicely.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey look it's time to list some good airplanes that are also boats:

CL-215 / 415

Goose

Turbo Beaver

Super Cub

Basically everything else that has a seaworthy fuselage or is mounted on pontoons. Doubly so if they're amphibious so you can land them on runways, too.

Planes that are also boats are cool and good and not lovely at all, unlike amphibious cars and VTOL fixed wings :colbert:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sometimes there's just a bit too much navy in naval aviation.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

Nope, but to grossly oversimplify, they do WAY more of the flying for the pilots than other aircraft. This can result in pilots getting lazy and sloppy, since they know the aircraft will just do the right thing no matter what they do. This has led to a pattern of accidents where for some reason the automation fails, then the pilots either do something stupid or straight-up forget that they are supposed to fly the airplane (rather than the airplane fly itself) and crash. Airbus thinks the automation is a net win for safety, others think it could be done better.

What ever happened to the push (I think from the FAA or something) to tell companies to let pilots actually fly the loving aircraft again instead of being on AP basically from wheels up to minimums?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I forget where I read it but it was a while back, I think after that airbus crash due to pitot icing, where people were calling for pilots to have to spend more time hand flying but it definitely wasn't a call to tear the autopilot out of the airplane.

I mean hell, I'm just now starting to take lessons for fun and I wouldn't want to do super long flights without an AP so I could go hands off at times. The last thing I would want would be to have do that every day for a living without being able to push the button and let the AP do the flying while handling all the rest of the workload that comes with the job.

But the flip side is it's apparently at the point where commercial pilots end up being kinda poo poo at flying their aircraft second they have to turn off the AP anywhere but just before crossing the fence.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Found one of the articles, from back in 2013

Here's the official word from the FAA, but I remember hearing somewhere that they were at least considering going beyond just suggesting

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

I think I just saw a Herc fly past my balcony on approach to Toronto Island, then turn south across the lake. Must have come from CFB Trenton.
e-nothing on flightaware, so military makes sense. 4 engine prop job, with a pod between the engines on each wing, and a single white nav light on the tail. Can't think what else it could be.

The S&R dudes in Trenton sometimes fly down to CYHM when they're on standby. It gets them a few hours in the logbook and they go park at the museum and hang out until they either have to go home for the day or someone gets their rear end lost/in trouble and they have to go do their thing.

One time leaving CYHM they got a bit happy on the throttle. It wouldn't have been an issue but it was combined with someone at the museum forgetting to put the gust locks in on the Lancaster. From what I hear the control surfaces flapped around like barn doors in a tornado. Ended up grounding it for the majority of the season because they had to take pretty much every control surface off for inspection.

EDIT: If you haven't been to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario you really really need to go. It has one of 2 flying Lancasters left in the world. It'd sometimes fly over when I lived in the city and every time hearing 4 Merlins overhead gave me chills.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 20, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So a guy at my airport owns an A-26 and I'm not quite sure what the proper way to beg him to go look at his airplane and offer to do things(let's face it probably just throw money at him) in exchange for a ride around the block.

Every time I taxi by it I want to ask GND if I can stop and gawk for a few minutes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't let the Marines find out about them or they'll demand a float version of the F-35.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm sure the second someone tried to introduce it every pilot union would scream blue bloody murder.

There is some legitimate reason to not want cameras and that's because at the end of the day when management decides they want to gut someone like a fish for no good reason the standard clowning around being a gross shithead behaviour that every human being on the planet exhibits would suddenly be used against them.

Hell, how many pilots have been raked over the coals for hot mike conversations that most of us have had with coworkers.

Edit: there are already cockpit voice recorders so I guess they'll just have to add a "if we see a captain and copilot playing circle game only they're actually whipping their wangs out we won't hold that against them" clause to the contract.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 25, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Because aviation", that answer to all of life's important questions.

Well, OK, one important question; "why is this so horrifically expensive?"

The day I found out that a gas cap for the Cherokee Im learning to fly in goes for somewhere around $300 :psyduck:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh, believe me, I know *why* this poo poo can become seemingly stupidly expensive, but still, $300 gas cap.

It's kinda like how the only difference between a specialty bolt that costs $12.50 and one you can get from home depot for 75c is the cheap one will shear off and get a bunch of people killed because it was meant to hold a clothes line together and not an aircraft.

Same with the difference between marine engine components and automotive engine components is the automotive engine components will fit perfectly, cost 30% less and also eventually cause your boat to burn to the waterline.

But still, $300 gas cap.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So what happened to trigger the foampocalypse? False alarm? System malfunction? Someone's poo poo actually being on fire?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder if that canopy was open before they recovered his body. If not it's a shame to think that he ditched and got stuck. I'm p sure you're supposed to partially open your door/canopy before ditching.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man that sucks. I know what it's like to have to deal with flipped sailboats and stuff and ya poo poo can get disorienting and dangerous real quick. I can't imagine flipping a plane.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh my god it's :perfect:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe I won't go practice spin and spiral dive recovery this evening, everything comes in threes and I don't want the third guy today to pancake his plane while trying to do something fancy.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
IDK how you could get rid of that wind shear without taking off the top of that mountain. God drat what a bad idea. How did they not figure this out before? A few months with a temporary weather station would have given them all the data they needed to know this was a terrible idea.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you don't keep inhabitants on the island it's hard to still claim it as your territory and the most important part of that island for sure isn't the island it's the territorial waters surrounding it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't remember the last time I was on a plane where I didn't either have poo poo I needed to do as soon as the plane landed or was at the controls myself. I can't so much as have a beer on a flight these days :/

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The second I found out shithead drone operators were getting in the way of water bombers trying to put out fires I lost all sympathy for drone operators and am quite happy to see the FAA/TC come down on them like a ton of bricks.

This is what you get for being lovely.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"This thing isn't heavy enough and I don't know how to fix it.' said no engineer ever in the history of engineering.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Christ a loving whaler can barely handle 3 meter waves and it's essentially a giant canoe with an adjustable keel.

How do you *land* in those waves? Skip across the tops until you're slow enough to eventually plow into the crest one and not have it drop out from under you again?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
When'd this happen and was his license confiscated when he landed or did they wait until the next day?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It comes down to gas costs money, yo

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Looks like 3 at a time. If the mains touched down first they did so by less than a tenth of a second.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I were on fire and about to crash I'd rather be crashing in the fastest thing possible. I bet you have a lot of time to think about just how little time you have left to live in a hot air balloon crash.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The weather in the prairies is apparently getting p weird out here. This year storms seem to be more frequent and intense.

Also the graphical forecast for 7 pm tomorrow says FC west of Brandon.

FC = Funnel Clouds...

:stare:

I'm not used to this poo poo I grew up out east all we got was freezing rain and poo poo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya, whoops.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you took the canopy off I could probably park a Cri-Cri under my bed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Let's do an interesting one.

A-10C / B-25J (The nose full of .50s one not the bombadier glass one)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

doesn't make it a great idea to go fly in circles around the transition fix of a busy STAR at 10000ft, for instance. (This is a real thing I've seen 1200 code airplanes do.)

This sounds like the sort of thing goons do to troll VATSIM.

You'd be surprised just how full that big empty sky can get and why flying NORDO (no radio) is a really bad idea. I did a cross country last weekend and one of our stops was a touch and go at CJV5, a tiny little town in the middle of the Canadian prairies.We were setting up to approach from the south, overfly the field at 2500' MSL to check it out and then enter the circuit for RWY 04 (Picked 04 because of wind conditions at our previous stop about 20NM away). As soon as we made the call a Mooney replied saying that he was approaching for the north at 2500'MSL and was about to set up for 22. Then a THIRD guy called up saying he was coming in from the East.

Without those radio calls we would have been head to head with that Mooney and possibly that third guy.

This was at a field that apparently is hardly used and has no mandatory radio use, only an advisory frequency you're recommended to use *if* you have a radio.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 11, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That airport is a D and that fuckface shouldn't have even been there without a radio, that place is towered from around 4am until well after midnight, if I'm reading it right and remember what timezone Vegas is in.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of Class E (no radio needed for VFR) airports out there. There are supposed to be rules for how you approach the field, how you enter the circuit etc to minimize the chance of running into another aircraft and you're supposed to keep a keen eye out for other aircraft.

Like FK said, it usually works out, but I'm kinda glad I didn't have to dodge that Mooney that technically could have flown right in to me without even turning his radio on.

One neat fact about flying is the plane that's going to hit you is the plane that's right on the horizon, where it's the hardest to spot.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Is there any reason that couldn't be done with a "hoverbike" provided the hoverbike had variable-pitch rotors like a helicopter?

That would add a whole bunch of expense to the thing, but it seems like it should at least be possible.

Take those retarded hoverbikes you see on youtube, put a bunch of equipment in them to make them not horrific death traps and then put the rotors on top because quite frankly having them below/beside you is a horrible design choice.

And hey look its a helicopter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
In Manitoba we're getting funnel clouds touching down way more than we used to.

It's the new normal.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I want to know what sort of talking to that 415 pilot got when the powers that be got ahold of that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I lived on an acreage and had a long straight laneway I'd point that down it a d fire it up after snow storms.